Being Honest

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

 

1. Problems? We Solve Them.

 

The pair walked arm in arm to a restaurant the Saturday after Seulgi’s return from Jeju. The restaurant—one they had been to before—was a relaxed one where they could talk and eat comfortably with few distractions.

After settling into their seats and ordering, the side dishes arrived promptly and they began to partake. The marinated meat they’d ordered arrived next and Wendy took over and began grilling piece by piece. Seulgi watched intently, and once the first piece was finished cooking, she picked it up with her chopsticks and offered it to Wendy, a thank you for doing the grilling.

“Sorry that I’m not the best at cooking, thanks for taking care of me.”

“I don’t mind, and thank you,” Wendy said, taking the piece of meat, “Mmm, it’s tasty.”

Once they both began eating, Seulgi asked a question, “I’ve been thinking about what I promised you.”

“What’s that?” Wendy asked.

“The trip,” Seulgi said, picking up a piece of lettuce to make Wendy a wrap, “Have you thought about where you may want to go on vacation? I want to go ahead and buy the tickets ahead of time and plan it all out with you.”

“I…” Wendy seemed nervous.

Seulgi, unaware that her question had hit a nerve, reached over and fed Wendy the wrap, “Here, eat this first before you answer.”

After finishing, Wendy looked at Seulgi, “I thought about it while you were gone, and I came up with a few places, but I don’t think they’re actually feasible.”

“Why not?” Seulgi asked, munching on one of the side dishes.

“Well…all the places I thought about would need the use of passports.”

“We have passports, baby,” Seulgi whispered.

“Yes, but that means the locations are far away, can both of us get time off for that?”

Seulgi looked at Wendy with a furrowed brow. Finally sensing an underlying issue, she spoke up, “Is there something else that has you worried?”

“Maybe,” Wendy said, “Can we have a serious conversation? It’s going to seem strange, but I want to tell you now before it becomes an issue later.”

Seulgi stopped eating, put her utensils down, and asked thoughtfully, “Yes, of course, what’s wrong?”

Wendy seemed anxious, but went on with her thoughts despite her feelings, “If we go, I need to pay my own way.”

“Why?” Seulgi simply asked.

Wendy looked down, “I don’t want you to have to pay for me.”

“You seemed a little uneasy when I said I wanted to buy the tickets a moment ago, but I want to do it, I made you a promise.”

“I know, but I feel that maybe I should buy my own ticket,” Wendy still stared at the table, “The work thing is true as well. I don’t want to pick a place, somewhere I want to vacation, and then we can’t go. I would want to pick together. I don’t feel that I’m getting my point across though, I know I overthink everything, but I want you to know my concerns.”

“I’m glad you’re telling me,” Seulgi said, but she knew there was still another layer to uncover, “Is this the conversation we tabled when you moved in? When you wanted to pay rent? That night you arrived at my apartment?”

Wendy nodded.

“I’ve offered to pay and promised to take you on vacation, and now you don’t want to go?” Seulgi asked quietly, then put her hand to Wendy’s chin and lightly lifted her head so they were looking in each other’s eyes, “Baby, you can look at me, I’m not mad, you’re being real with me, I can’t ask anything more from you, there’s no reason to look away.”

Wendy shifted her eyes directly to look at Seulgi’s, “I want to go, baby, it’s not that, I’m desperate to spend time with you,” Wendy said, “It’s complicated, and seems unfair for you to pay my way. I can’t accept unless you let me pay as well.”

“I want to take you because I love being with you, not because I don’t think you would pay your own way, is that it?” Seulgi asked.

“I don’t mean it that way, oh gosh, I know you don’t really think that,” Wendy said, embarrassed, “I don’t want to seem selfish or make you feel as though you have to spend extravagantly just for my sake. I could stay right in the middle of our bed and be the happiest woman on earth, just to be beside you.“

Seulgi chuckled, “I don’t think you really meant it that way. I know for a fact that you can pay your own way. I’ve met a lot of people who might be that way if I asked them on vacation. They would have taken from me with no thoughts of giving back. I met them at parties and events, I met them at photo shoots, and fashion shows.”

Wendy wondered where this was going.

“But I never had any desire to ask any of them out because of that very reason. They only ever thought about themselves. You’re not like those people I’ve met over the years. You’re hard-working and have earned everything you have, not because someone handed it to you, but because you’ve put the work in and deserved it. You’re not spoiled, and you’ve never asked me for anything. Your humble, caring, kind, loving. I just want to do this because I like doing fine things for the people I love, not to make you think anything else, or make it seem like I’m taking charge. And if it’s about what other people think, then don’t worry.”

“I don’t care what others say about me, I know who I am. I know how you feel about me as well. I’ve been independent for a very long time, living alone, having to take care of myself alone. Now we have each other to rely on, and it’s the best feeling in the world to have someone who wants to take care of me as much as I want to take care of them, I-I just worry that when we’re…official, how will we work things like vacations out? Places and situations where we both need to be, where there’s an expense for the two of us. I want it to be equal. I don’t ever want to be like those people you spoke about. This is my concern. I don’t want to be teetering back and forth, arguing about an issue that neither of us really needs to worry about, neither of us are like those people, and I never want to be, that’s why I’m bringing this up now.”

Seulgi sat back and thought for a moment. Wendy took a breath and put some more meat on to grill. The smoke from the hot grill rose, and Seulgi’s mind raced.

If they were really going to be together, really work at it, then this would be an issue, not the money per se, because that wasn’t the real question/comment that Wendy was posing. They’d probably never want for much, but the issue was the principle of the matter. The ability to fully rely on one another was important, and yet being able to stay true to their independent natures. A quandary, but not one they couldn’t work out, “Okay, how about this, let me pay for this first vacation since I’ve already promised. Then after that, we can start some sort of joint account where we can each put money each month, and then both decide what we want to do with it. That’s what a lot of people do, right? Then our own personal expenses or whatever would obviously be separate.”

Wendy thought for a moment as well, “That could work, it’s a great idea. We can use it for activities that we do together like dates and travel.”

Seulgi nodded, “We’ll work on a budget and set it up soon. It’s actually a really valid, and important issue that we would have had to face anyway in the coming weeks, it’s just that we’ve quelled the worry now instead of then. I understand your worries. I want to be able to remain true to who I am, and still be so deep in love with you that I can’t see a way out.”

Wendy smiled and grabbed Seulgi’s hand, “Listen, I know we’re not wanting for anything, and that either of us could pay for the other and vice versa, but I really want this to work with you. You mean too much to me for issues like this to hamper or hurt our relationship. When I go in, I’m all in, and we won’t be playing anymore. Living together, budgets, groceries, travel, that’s reality and a lot of people don’t want to face those things. Problems like this start at the beginning of relationships and only grow bigger with time.  I want to face things like this with you head on, and not let them grow and fester like I’ve seen other couples do. This conversation about a vacation seems trivial now, but my point is that I want to treat you just as you treat me, with such devotion and love that it could fill a stadium, and still be able to find myself in it all when the day is done.  Let’s grow together, let’s help each other. I brought this up in this restaurant because I don’t want to look back and say ‘wish I’d had the courage to bring that up’.”

“I agree, let’s not worry over money, okay? We don’t need to do it because we’re both set. All I want to worry about is taking care of you,” Seulgi said, “That’s all that matters to me. I-I want you to be content.”

“And all I want is to take care of you,” Wendy said, “This will be the last time I worry about bringing something up to you.”

“Situations like this seem inconsequential now, but I’m glad you’ve told me, and we’ve settled it before it actually became an issue.” Seulgi said, “I love you, I don’t think I say that often enough.”

Wendy smiled, “I love you too.”

“That was intense,” Seulgi said.

“I know, I just needed to get it off my chest.”

“Oh, no worries, I sort of loved that conversation, now,” Seulgi said, letting go of Wendy’s hand, “Let’s finish eating, I’ve got a surprise for you. Is it okay if I still surprise you every now and then?”

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “I need to work on my surprise game as well. We still have to be spontaneous.”

“I always have an event or two up my sleeve,” Seulgi said.

They finished eating, paid, and then made their way back onto the street.

“Onward to the surprise,” Seulgi said.

 

-----

 

“Do you think we can work out our schedules to actually go on the vacation?” Wendy asked as they made their way to the next destination, “Now that we’ve settled everything else?”

“I think so, we’ll need to plan it all out ahead of time, it’ll be fun. We still have a few weeks, but let’s start as soon as we can.”

“Okay, I promised not to worry, and I won’t. I’m actually stoked—a word she slipped and used in English— to plan it with you. I know you really don’t like pre-planned things, but it’s fun to think about what we can do when we get wherever we’re going, right? Look at brochures and maps, I love that stuff.”

“What’s stoked?” Seulgi asked.

“Oh, it just means excited.”

“Well, then I’m stoked too. I sometimes like pre-planned things, especially at work, when I have a shoot to do. It’s just in everyday life that I don’t like to feel restricted to do things certain way, but I do like maps and cool brochures, and I’ll be anticipating your cracking good list of destinations. Lists are definitely your thing.”

Wendy had to laugh at Seulgi’s statement, “I do enjoy making lists. You’ve got me figured out.”

Seulgi took Wendy’s hand in her own as they continued to walk, “And I like having serious conversations with you.”

“Really?” Wendy asked.

“Yes, it makes me feel like an adult.”

“You are an adult.”

“True,” Seulgi grinned, “But most of the time I don’t feel like one.”

“I think that’s a good thing,” Wendy said, “Young at heart.”

“Oh, I’m sure I’ll always feel young at heart, it’s just nice to have someone else to think about other than myself. It’s nice to talk about real issues like we’ve just done and figure them out together. We spoke without having to shout back and forth. I don’t think I’d like myself very much if I yelled and tried to argue every little point with you. I couldn’t stand myself if I just shouted to win an argument that we may have. I think that’s important, being able to figure it out together and not hide from each other. I think a lot of people rush into relationships and forget that there’s more to it than making out, getting into bed with each other, and then waking up to start it all over. Some couples go days without ever saying a real word to one another. Doesn’t that seem monotonous? I mean, I love making out with you, and I love your body, don’t get me wrong, baby. Sometimes I look at you in my bed, and can’t think properly; but lust or attraction can only go so far before it becomes a parody of itself. I want to talk as well.”

“Look, I love a lot of things about you physically. It’s actually a book I’m writing, All The Things I Love About Seulgi: A Non-Fiction Reference Guide, and it’s going to be printed as an encyclopedia set, and also a very, very long e-book will be available.”

Seulgi laughed warmly at this, a very Wendy thing to say.

Wendy smiled, “That part, the purely primal and physical side is important, really important, but I love that we haven’t rushed ourselves. When we’re lying there afterward, whenever that may be, I know I’ll have so many more things to add to my already long list of things I love about you, but what I’ll enjoy or love even more is having you to talk about it with.  To have someone who cares about me, and someone that I can listen to as well,” Wendy said.

“I don’t want us to look at each other one day and see a stranger looking back, as think that we never really knew each other at all. I love you too much to let that happen, so I’m glad you’ve brought up how you feel, keep bringing it up. I can’t promise that we’ll never disagree or be upset with each other, that wouldn’t be natural, I can’t promise that my temper will never get in the way, but being honest is important.”

“I agree, you’re someone I can’t wait to see every day, you’re always surprising me. I don’t want us to be together and only going through the motions. Let’s just promise to talk, and to get to the bottom of our problems when we have them. And my temper may pop up too, so it won’t just be you. I just want you, need you, we’ll figure it out.”

“I need you too,” Seulgi said, she leaned in and kissed Wendy’s cheek, “Hey, we’re almost there. The surprise is cheesy though so prepare yourself.”

“Literally cheesy?” Wendy asked, thinking of macaroni and cheese,.

“No.”

“Kangseulroni and cheese,” Wendy muttered quietly, thinking Seulgi wouldn’t hear, “So, should I expect something cringy then?” Wendy let go of Seulgi’s hand and curled her fingers, “I’m ready.”

Seulgi glared a bit but started to laugh, “You love a good cheesy moment, what’s that dish you like?”

“A cheese dish?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, what’s it called?.........Kangseulroni and cheese! Isn’t that it?”

“Oh my gosh, you heard me,” Wendy laughed, “Well, I can say that I love your cheesy moments…and only yours.”

“And I love yours.”

 

===

 

 

2. Surprise

 

 

“We’re here,” Seulgi said, stopping in the middle of a row of shops.

“An ice cream shop?”

“Let’s go in.” Seulgi went first, then Wendy followed cautiously.

“It’s just dessert,” Seulgi said, “Come on.”

 

-----

 

“Hey, Seul,” The guy behind the counter said.

“Hey, Mike,” Seulgi shook his hand as soon as she got to the counter, “We’re here to get some ice cream.”

Mike noticed Wendy and waved, “Hi, I’m Mike Cho, I own the shop.”

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Wendy.”

“Oh? Not Seungwan?”

“How did you know my name—“

Seulgi interrupted, “—Mike this is Seungwan, she just goes by Wendy instead.”

Mike looked at Wendy, “Oh, cool, do you want to try the ice cream?”

“What do you mean THE Ice cream?” Wendy asked.

“Ohhh, Seulgi called and had a couple new flavors made. I love experimenting with different ingredients, and I’ve asked her to help me before. Anyway, she asked for one called, “Sweet Seungwan,” I guess that’s you, and one for herself called, “Sultry Seulgi.”

Seulgi covered her face with her hands in embarrassment, “You weren’t supposed to say the names out loud, Mike.”

“Well, what else was I supposed to do? You decided on the silly names yourself,” Mike said.

Wendy laughed.

“Too cheesy?” Seulgi whispered, her hands still not moving from her face.

“A little, but it’s fun cheesy,” Wendy said, leaning over and forcing Seulgi to show her tomato red face.

Seulgi resisted but then dropped her hands, “I hope the flavors are good, I picked them out especially for each of us.”

Mike nodded, “They’re good I tried them earlier today to make sure. Seulgi knows about ice cream flavors and combos, but I was surprised, these are excellent.”

“Well, then I’ll have to try both,” Wendy smirked.

“Cool,” Mike said, “I’ll go get them from the back and you can try a spoonful of each before you decide which one you want in a cone.”

 

-----

 

“When did you do this? Or find the time? First Seulgi-Bear, and now my own ice cream flavor?” Wendy asked, leaning into Seulgi’s arms.

“I called yesterday afternoon,and we worked it out. Mike’s asked me to collab before on a flavor so I asked him for a favor, and he was excited to oblige. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to think of flavors that we might like.  Next time, you can make your own, I just wanted to surprise you tonight.”

“It is fun. If an ice cream shop owner says you did a good job, then it must be true.”

Just then Mike returned with two ice cream containers, “Okay, ready to try?”

“Yes, please,” Wendy said, excitedly.

Mike opened the containers and used two spoons to scoop out portions of the “Sultry Seulgi.”

“This flavor is supposed to represent Seulgi, obviously the title is corny, so that fits too,” Mike joked.

“Hey!” Seulgi said, Wendy giggled.

“Okay, it’s a dark chocolate ice cream with real bits of dark chocolate candy and a rum-tangerine swirl.” He handed the spoons over and the women tried the ice cream.

Wendy was honestly shocked at how good it was, “You’re right, this is awesome, the rum-tangerine swirl goes so well with the dark chocolate, yummy.”

“It’s great,” Seulgi said, “I love chocolate, and I’m really into trying different types, so this is perfect. Not too sweet, and the run-tangerine swirl is awesome too.”

“Alright, want to try the “Sweet Seungwan?” Mike asked, getting two new spoons ready.

Wendy’s eyes lit up and she nodded.

“Seulgi picked out a sweet cream ice cream base for your flavor with blueberry, banana, and graham cracker swirls.”

They tried this flavor and Wendy was impressed even further, “This is the best, I want this flavor to go.”

“I told you she’d like it,” Seulgi said, “No surprise, but I want the “Sultry Seulgi” in a cone.”

“Picked our own flavors,” Wendy said, “I can’t believe you made these for us Mike, thanks!”

He answered while he scooped the two cones, “You’re welcome, now whenever you come in, you can get this flavor. I might even put these out for everyone…with a name change of course.

Seulgi agreed, “Thanks, Mike, let us know if people like these flavors, think of good names.”

“You got it, and Wendy, if you ever want to come back in and make a new flavor, just call and come over.”

“I will,” Wendy said.

The pair began their walk home with cones in hand.

“You have the best ideas, Seul,” Wendy said.

“There’s more where this came from.”

 

===

 

 

3. Something More

 

Finally back to the apartment much later in the night after their dinner and ice cream date, Wendy was in the kitchen pouring them each a glass of wine, and Seulgi was on the couch thinking. Maybe now was as good a time as any to ask Wendy to make it official.

Wendy walked back into the living room and handed Seulgi a glass, then settled close to her. Seulgi’s stomach flipped, and her nerves twisted, but no fancy plans could ever be as special as a regular night with Wendy. Right now it was just them, and if Wendy could be brave and bring up her worries and concerns, then Seulgi could bring this important question up as well. Finally working up the courage, she spoke.

“May I tell you, ask you something really quickly?” Seulgi asked, hands trembling a bit.

Wendy put her glass of wine on the coffee table and scooted even closer to Seulgi, “Sure.”

“I wanted this to be glamorous and memorable, but after our talks tonight, after we’ve been so honest with each other, I just want this to be simple, me and you.”

“Okay,” Wendy said, listening intently.

Seulgi reached for Wendy’s hands to help steady her own, “I’m a bit nervous.”

Wendy smiled, and clasped her hands tighter around Seulgi’s, sensing what was about to be said, “Don’t be, it’s me.”

“I-I’m ready to make our relationship official.”

Wendy nodded knowingly and waited for Seulgi to continue.

“I know we’re already together, but I can’t leave this apartment one more day without reassuring you that I’m ready for this to be for real. I’m ready for a full commitment,” Seulgi said, “Will you be mine? My girlfriend or whatever we decide to call ourselves?”

“Of course I will, and you’ll be mine?” Wendy asked.

“Definitely, I’m yours.”

“Then it’s settled. I’m glad you didn’t ask me on a glitzy evening, that’s not us.”

“Really?” Seulgi asked.

“Of course, tonight has been amazing. I’ve never been so honest with someone besides my own family,” Wendy said, thinking over her statement, “………..is that what we’re becoming?”

“I t-think so, do you want to be that? My family?”

“Yes, at least that’s what I want us to be someday,” Wendy said, “Don’t you think?”

“Yes, I that’s what I want too. I think that’s where we’re heading, and it’s alright with me.”

“Me too.”

Seulgi leaned forward at that moment, hands still entwined with Wendy’s, and kissed her.  Hearing Wendy’s reactions always affected Seulgi deeply, and tonight was no different.  Wendy moved as well, unable to stay stationary as Seulgi let her hands go and pulled her close. She moved to one of her favorite places to be, Seulgi’s ears.

“These ears are probably top ten on my list, maybe top five,  but since it’s an encyclopedia, and those books are usually in alphabetical order, the number system is irrelevant. Once it’s published, check out the E section. There will be a picture of me nipping and biting them,” Wendy said cheekily, and then followed her own example and nipped and bit Seulgi’s left ear.

Seulgi wasn’t sure how Wendy was still talking, and she honestly didn’t care, so she laid back and just enjoyed Wendy’s descriptions. When L was being described, Wendy moved to Seulgi’s lips again and by only pecking them gently. In between the pecks she spoke of the labels they had been using for their relationship.

“So no more… friendlationship or…more-than-friends-ship?”

Seulgi moaned as Wendy quickly moved to her neck, “I-I still like friendlationship, since we were f-f-friends first, but just for fun,” Seulgi said.

“Mmm, yeah I think so too, we’ll need to hire Joy to think of some official new names.”

“S-s-she’s probably already on it.”

“I’m sure she is,” Wendy said, stopping the round of kisses on Seulgi’s neck, “Your hands, let me see them,” Seulgi surrendered her hands and Wendy held them again as they had earlier, “These hands are important too, they’ll hold me, and I’ll hold them.”

Seulgi smiled, “Don’t worry, we’ll be holding each other…”

 

-----

 

They were practically already molded together when Wendy said she wanted to put on some music. She extracted herself from Seulgi’s embrace, walked over to the media center, and put on a slow song. It was a little slow Jazz to fit the current languid, lovely mood.

“Do you want to dance, baby?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, with my girlfriend,” Wendy replied.

“Then let’s dance,” Seulgi stood up and invited Wendy into her arms.

With nothing but them, the music, and the evening cascading through the window, Seulgi became intoxicated by the atmosphere, Wendy, and maybe the wine.

“I love you,” Seulgi whispered, lightly kissing Wendy’s ear, “And I just want you to know that I love your ears too.”

“And I love you, and your ears, and nose, and lips, and eyes. Your eyes are so beautiful,” Wendy said.

“Thank you for loving every piece of me.”

“Should I list more? Because I will,” Wendy asked, a smirk on her face.

“I’ll wait for the e-book,” Seulgi joked, “ And let me know soon where you want to go for the trip.”

“Definitely somewhere tropical, somewhere y,” Wendy said, “I’ll narrow the list.”

“Anywhere with you is good enough for me,” Seulgi said, leaning back to look at Wendy’s face.

“Still cheesy?” Wendy laughed.

“I’ll always be cheesy. I’m young at heart, remember? I can’t wait to tell Joy about my new nickname!”

“Which one?”

“Kangseulroni.”

Wendy leaned back in and kissed Seulgi, “I wouldn’t have you any other way but cheesy, but don’t tell Joy, I’ll never hear the end of it.”

They laughed together and danced. Holding each other tightly, they stole kissed, and enjoyed the music. In this way, the night melted into morning, the jazz floated away, and the new couple held hands as they walked to bed. The peace of finally being together relaxed them, and maybe the wine too.

 

 

===

 

 

4. Fast Cars + Free Tickets

 

“So are we finally going to get to ride in your “secret” car?” Joy asked as the four of them rode down the elevator.

It was only a few days after they’d decided to become official, and Irene and Joy had heard most—though not all—of the details about the night.

“Yes and I have a special outing planned for everyone as well, not just a joyride, no pun intended,” Seulgi said.

“This kid’s full of surprises,” Irene said, “Not that I’m complaining.”

“Yeah, she is, she surprises me every day,” Wendy said out loud, looking at Seulgi with loving eyes.

Seulgi winked back at Wendy.

“Alright, alright,” Joy said, “Should Irene and I drive separately to get away from this love fest or what?”

“No,” Seulgi said, “We’ll behave…most of the time.”

“Sure,” Irene said.

“Where’s your car, Seul?” Joy asked.

“Should be out front, I had it delivered,” Seulgi said. They made it to the lobby and all of them scurried off the elevator.

“Can’t wait to see it,” Wendy said.

“Same,” Irene said.

Finally walking out the door and into the bright light of the street, Seulgi pointed to her car, “There she is.”

Joy’s mouth dropped, Irene grinned, and Wendy said, “Wow.”

 

-----

 

“Ready to ride?” Seulgi asked, “Wendy’s got shotgun.”

“Shotgun?” Joy asked.

“The front passenger’s side seat,” Wendy said.

“Oh, well go ahead then,” Joy said sarcastically, already on a roll, “Wouldn’t want to separate the lovebirds.”

“We’re ready,” Irene said, rolling her eyes at Joy.

The convertible, blue, and classic was perfect for riding, and the four of them clambered in to get going.

“The top is staying open,” Seulgi said, “So be ready for a swift breeze.”

“We’re ready,” Joy said, and off they went to a destination only known to Seulgi. The perfect place on a summer night.

 

-----

 

“A baseball game?” Wendy asked, “I love baseball.”

“I do too,” Irene said.

“Good,” Seulgi replied.

“I don’t watch much baseball but I love the snacks that baseball provides,” Joy said, “So let’s go.”

“Here’s your ticket,” Joy and Irene took their tickets and walked ahead of Wendy and Seulgi.

“Here you go, baby,” Seulgi said, handing the ticket over to Wendy.

“Should our account agreement start now?” Wendy asked, half-joking.

“Don’t worry, I got them for free,” Seulgi smiled, “Didn’t spend a dime.”

“Okay, sorry.”

“It’s alright, let’s go have a good time.”

The pair caught up to Irene and Joy, and they all entered the stadium.

 

-----

 

“I think I’m going to get the hat,” Wendy said as the four of them browsed through the pro shop.

“Want me to get a matching one?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, that might be fun. I used to collect souvenirs whenever we went on vacation or to a new place like this.”

“Really?” Seulgi asked, “Maybe we can star our own collection then.”

Wendy nodded excitedly at the suggestion.

“Why don’t you get the blue one, and I’ll get the yellow one?”

“Okay,” Wendy said. The pair went up to pay and saw that Joy had picked out a lot of gear including a foam finger. Irene was behind her in line with a key chain.

“Joy, are you really going to buy all that gear?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, may as well get in the spirit.”

Joy paid, then Irene, Wendy, and Seulgi were next. Wendy pulled out her wallet, “Let me buy them,” she said.

Seulgi nodded, “Okay.”

Wendy paid then took the bag and they all left the shop to find their seats.

“Thanks, Wan-ah.”

“You’re welcome. I know we have our agreement, but I just wanted to start our collection.”

“We’ll take turns with the collecting,” Seulgi smiled, “Ready to find our seats?”

“Yeah, let’s go,” The pair held hands on the way to the bleachers, and watched as Joy literally skipped in front of them and waved the foam finger.

 

-----

 

Finally in their seats, the game not started yet, Joy was already talking about what food to buy.

“I’ll get you and Irene whatever you want,” Seulgi said, “Write it down and Wendy and I will go to concessions.”

“Are you sure?” Irene asked, “Joy seems overexcited about the food.”

“It’s fine, I’ve prepared for that,” Seulgi replied, “It’s not a big deal.”

“Okay,” Irene said, “But I warned you.”

Joy smiled an evil smile and began to write down her and Irene’s list on a scrap piece of paper from her bag.

 

-----

 

Seulgi and Wendy began their climb to the concessions stand, Seulgi in front, Wendy behind her. When Seulgi reached the top of the stairs, she waited for Wendy. Both on solid ground again, Seulgi grabbed Wendy’s hand and entwined their fingers.

Wendy smiled, “Sure you want to show everyone your real image by wearing a couple hat and holding my hand?”

“There’s a reason it’s just an image. I may appear to be a hardcore rocker-style photographer, but you know better. I’m just a teddy bear with a soft center who love to be with you.”

“I know,” Wendy said, “And I’m happy to know that you instead of just the image the media portrays.”

“Do you have the list?” Seulgi asked, “That Joy made.”

“Yes, you may not feel as generous after we get all this food that she wants.”

“Oh, I’m getting it all, and watching her eat every bit,” Seulgi laughed.

“Looks like she wants a hot dog, peanuts, chicken wings, plus drinks. Irene just wants a hot dog.”

“Well, Irene is quite sensible, Joy works purely on instinct. They’re totally different styles. I’ll trust that Joy knows what she’s doing. Anyway, buying this won’t ruin my time. We’ll have fun regardless.

“Yeah, she knows what she’s doing, did you hear her evil cackle as we walked away?”

“Yeah, I heard it, but nothing’s going to get me down tonight.”

“Good.”

 

-----

 

The food did actually take two people to carry, Seulgi wasn’t joking when she asked Wendy to come along. They technically had enough for a family style picnic as they walked down the stairs, not even able to hold hands as they had on the way there. Back at the seats, Seulgi handed the food out and watched Joy’s eyes light up. She first took a sip of her “adult beverage” as she called it, really a beer, and began to partake in the feast.

They all enjoyed their food and adult beverages—besides Seulgi who drank soda because she was driving—and enjoyed the game. Wendy watched Seulgi closely and admired how she treated her friends, she was glad to have someone like that in her life. She was glad she could be their friend as well.

 

-----

 

During the seventh inning stretch, the mascot began to dance on top of the dugout. When Joy saw this, she got up in her seat and danced too. The other three could do nothing but laugh as Joy joined the mascot and danced with it. Seulgi had her camera and took photos and video, Joy would be embarrassed later and she couldn’t wait to show her the footage.

In the top of the ninth inning, with their team ahead by one, the four of them stood and cheered as the pitcher was ahead in the count 1-2. With another strike, their team would be victorious.

With much cheering, and fanfare, the pitcher struck the batter out, and the crowd went wild. Joy cheered fanatically, Irene stared at Joy, and Wendy and Seulgi could only chuckle at them.

 

-----

 

After the game, Joy cheered all the way to the car, guided by Irene and Wendy.

When everyone was buckled up, they headed out.

A song began to play on the radio and Joy yelled, “I love this song, turn it up.”

When Seulgi turned the volume dial up, Wendy recognized the song too, “I recorded the demo for this song,” She whispered, grabbing Seulgi’s hand suddenly.

“Really? I thought you sang the demo for that duo at the company.”

“I did, but I recorded this one long before that. I’ve only heard this played at the company. Not on live radio. I thought they scratched it, but I guess not, that’s what they told me. I should have worked on this song, they should have let me know they were using it again. I’m not sure who they could have gotten to work on it.”

“This song is awesome,” Joy yelled again, waving her foam finger in the air.

Wendy looked a little said and Seulgi noticed, “I know what you’re thinking, we’ll talk later, okay?”

Wendy nodded and squeezed Seulgi’s hand.

 

===

 

 

5. Songs & Sleeves

 

 

After dropping Joy and Irene off, the tipsy Joy thanked Seulgi for a great evening, and the shy-after-drinking Irene smiled and waved good bye, the pair headed to their apartment.

After changing into their pajamas, they lay in their bed, “Were you sad hearing that song? Seulgi asked.

“That song is a great song. I loved recording it. It’s just odd hearing someone else sing it, but congrats to them. I just wish they would have let me work on it again. It’s strange that they excluded me.”

“It is a bit weird, but maybe there’s a good explanation. Just ask them when you go to work,” Seulgi said.

“I will,” Wendy replied.

“May I ask you something that may upset you?” Seulgi asked.

“Yes, I think so, honesty, right?”

“Do you ever want to go back and audition again? Or wish that things had turned out differently?”

“If I’m completely honest” Wendy asked, “Yes, but I’m too old to try out. Even at the company I work for I couldn’t dream of trying out. I’m too old to try out, and too old to go through training, and too old to debut, so…

“Don’t take this the wrong way, okay?”

Wendy nodded.

“I really wish your dreams came true, as mine did, but I know there’s something greater meant for you. It’s always been your dream to sing, but maybe the idol life wasn’t your way to reach it. God, that sounds like I’m just making up words to make you feel better, but I’m not. I have no clue why you didn’t get picked.”

“You’re probably right, maybe so. I just can’t think of any other path that I would have wanted to take. You think there’s something more for me than this company job? I mean I love it but…I do want more. And they told me I didn’t have the right look, so those are code words for something a little more sinister.”

“You’re beautiful, and if I ever hear anyone tell you anything different, there will be some strong words for that person. I know there’s a way that you haven’t figured out yet, and I’m desperate to help you. You want to sing?”

“More than almost anything,” Wendy said.

“We’ll figure something out,” Seulgi said.

“We’ll?”

“You’re not alone. You became we, when you signed up with me,” Seulgi sing-songed.

Wendy chuckled.

“Can I do anything to cheer you up now though?” Seulgi asked, “Your big dreams can’t be taken care of in one evening.”

“No, but you can hold me, that’s what I want tonight.”

“You got it, gorgeous.”

That night as Seulgi lay in bed, holding Wendy close, many ideas ran through her head. She had a thought about Wendy’s old room, a plan flickered before her eyes. She knew what she could do even if it was a small gesture.

 

-----

 

When Seulgi had a couple of days off, and Wendy was working hard at the company, she called in a favor and set to work creating a room out of Wendy’s old space that they both could share. An art room for Seulgi and a music room for Wendy, complete with a soundboard and a recording booth.

When Wendy came home those couple of days, Seulgi made sure she went nowhere near the newly designed room, wanting to reveal it when everything was completed.

On the third day, the room was finally complete, and Seulgi knew when she would reveal it to Wendy. That very next evening, they had a party to attend at Wendy’s workplace—an invitation had been sent out to the heads of all the departments, and Wendy was ready to show Seulgi off, so to speak—and Seulgi vowed when they returned late in the evening, she would show Wendy the new and improved room, in hopes of cheering Wendy on to sing. The room would only be the first step though, as Seulgi had previously told Wendy, she always had a surprise or two up her sleeve.

 

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

Thanks for clicking on my story. The response has been amazing once again, and I really appreciate the support. I look forward to your comments and feedback. Let me know what you think. Chapter 7 will be up soon.