Carnival & Trouble

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

1. Tank Tops, Jeans, and Seulgi’s Face        

 

Seulgi sighed an exultant, delirious sigh and pulled her jeans on and over her hips.  She zipped the denim up, fastened the metal, then watched as Wendy buttoned her own shirt up. As Seulgi watched Wendy’s nimble fingers work over each button, she felt an overwhelming need to rip it off again as she had earlier, only this time she wanted to watch the buttons fly into the air and see them land one by one on the wooden floor. But she shook the jolt of adrenaline off as it worked up her spine, and refrained from tattering the shirt in favor of actually getting fully ready this time.

“We’re going to be late,” Wendy said as she rushed and pulled her own jeans on, “Don’t we have to be there at 7:00?”

“I know, it’s my fault. You just looked so beautiful waiting on me to get ready,” Seulgi said.

“It’s technically my fault too,” Wendy laughed, “I think your tank top had something to do with it…and your arms, and your neck, and your face. Those were the real culprits.”

Seulgi chuckled, “So resistance was futile?”

“Pretty much,” Wendy said, “We’d better get going though, don’t you have to give out the awards by 8:30?”

“Yeah, let’s head out now and we can enjoy some of the carnival before I have to work. Before I judge, we’ll get something to eat at one of the stalls,” Seulgi said.

“I bet Irene and Joy are wondering where we are, don’t you think?” Wendy asked.

“I’d bet that it’s just Joy. Irene probably knows why we’re running late,” Seulgi said, smirking.

“True.”

“Speaking of know, do you know where you want to go on vacation?” Seulgi asked, as she pulled her tank top back on.

“I think so, let me think on it the rest of the night and I’ll let you know later,” Wendy said.

“Okay,” Seulgi said, grabbing her favorite plaid shirt to wear over the tank top, “Ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go,” Wendy replied.

 

===

 

2. Jewelry and a Fight

 

Every year, the businesses in the neighborhood held a charity carnival in a vacant space not far from where Seulgi and Wendy lived. The property was privately owned but the owners always let them rent it for a small fee.  Each year, Seulgi judged photos for the local competition that she set up at the beginning of every summer and tonight was the night for her to judge.

This night was not particularly different than any other carnival that they’d ever had, except that this time Seulgi was holding Wendy’s hand as they stepped onto the property, a different feeling for Seulgi as they walked together and passed everyone they knew from the neighborhood. Seulgi was happy to finally have someone by her side.  Wendy was amazed that the normally drab space had been magically transformed into a Wonderland of sorts, and squeezed Seulgi’s hand at the feeling of spectacle that the neighborhood had come together to create.

The property was huge and along one of the fence walls, dozens of stalls were selling food—delicious bites often found at fairs. There were rides for the kids, and in the back, against the orange sunset sky, a Ferris Wheel was set up for everyone to ride.

“Want to go on that later? After I get through judging the photos?” Seulgi asked.

“Sure, we’d better find Irene and Joy before we walk around anymore, though” Wendy said, “But yeah, I definitely want to ride it later.

Seulgi winked, “Okay, I’ll look forward to later. Let’s go, I have a pretty good idea where Joy might be.”

 

-----

 

In the corner of one of the food stalls, Irene and Joy were sitting at a picnic table, busy sharing a funnel cake with powdered sugar and strawberries. Seulgi and Wendy walked up to them and began to wave.

“Oh, look,” Joy said, “The lovebirds decided to join us.”

Irene turned around and waved, powdered sugar on her hands and lips, “It’s good to finally see you two, I’d go for a hug, but that’s probably not a good idea. I’m a little bit messy, sorry.  ”

“Well, Seulgi and Wendy are usually messy too,” Joy joked, “I’m sure they were a mess before they decided to grace us with their presence, but at least with you unnie, it’s only food-related.”

“Okay, Joy, we get it, we were late,” Seulgi said, “What have you and unnie been doing? Just eating it looks like.”

“I’ll have you know that we’ve been sampling the world’s cuisines, and now we’re finishing with a healthy dessert,” Joy said, she pointed to the funnel cake.

Wendy laughed as Joy pulled a piece of the funnel cake off and shoved it in .

“I didn’t know a funnel cake was considered healthy,” Seulgi said.

Joy the sugar off of her fingers and spoke, “Well this one came with strawberries, so it must be healthy.”

Seulgi put her hand to her face to keep from laughing as loudly as she wanted too, “Whatever you say. Anyway, we’re going to get something to eat as well, so make room at the table.”

“You got it boss,” Joy said, she held up her thumb then put it in and the remainder of the sugar off.

 

-----

 

When Seulgi and Wendy got back to the table, they had a selection of food as well, a sampler of sorts that they were going to share.

“Looking forward to judging the photos in a bit?” Irene asked, as Seulgi sat down next to Wendy who was organizing the food.

“Yeah, I usually have fun doing it, there are always good entries,” Seulgi said.

“We went and looked at some of them,” Joy said, “Right unnie?”

“Yes,” Irene said, “We went by the building where they are and the entries are really great this year.”

“Good,” Seulgi said, digging into her food, “While I’m judging will you show Wendy around?”

“Yeah, of course,” Irene said, “There are some booths that we can check out with crafts and things. So we’ll do that while you’re in the gallery.”

Seulgi nodded.

“Cool,” Wendy said, “Thanks unnie.”

“No problem,” Irene replied with a smile.

“Once I’m through in the gallery, I’ll come back and announce the winners on the stage. After that, we can walk around together.”

“Okay,” Wendy said, she smiled then began to eat as well.

 

-----

 

Irene glanced behind her for the fifth time as they walked around the booths. She had a strange feeling, but shook it off as Joy and Wendy lightened the mood with their jokes. They walked around several of the booths  looking at the different wares of the people in the neighborhood before they made it to the  homemade jewelry table, the place Wendy had been looking forward to the most.. Each piece was unique and all three of them saw some things that they really liked. Wendy saw a thumb ring that she knew Seulgi would love, so she showed it to Irene who instantly agreed.

“Do you think I should get this for Seulgi? I think it would look great on her.” Wendy held up the silver ring that had two deep grooves around it. Each groove had a color, blue and yellow-orange.

“Yeah,” Irene said, “It’s simple, but she likes jewelry like that.”

“I know,” Wendy whispered.

“Of course,” Irene smiled, “Go get it for her, and Joy and I will wait at the entrance for you.”

“Okay,” Wendy said.

At the register the ring was only $12 and Wendy was surprised, “Can I give you $20? It’s at least worth that much.”

“It’s just $12.”

“That’s okay,” Wendy said, “This is for a good cause,” and she handed the $20 bill over.

While Wendy waited for the ring to be put in a small bag, Irene glanced off in the distance and saw a man staring in the direction of where Wendy was standing. She was too busy laughing and talking with the jewelry maker, so Irene couldn’t get her attention.

She called Joy over—who had been looking up at the ferris wheel—and asked for her opinion, “I think that man has been following us around for a while, and he seems to be staring at Wendy. I saw him earlier but didn’t think much of it, now I’m certain. What should we do?”

The man had on sunglasses but the sun was almost all the way down. The only light came from the rides and inside the stands and stalls.

Joy looked carefully, “I think you may be right, let’s just stick close together. Seulgi should be getting ready to announce the winners so we’ll head over there once Wendy is finished paying.”

“Okay,” Irene replied, calmly.

 

-----

 

As they walked to the stage area to find Seulgi, the man continued to follow behind them.

Irene finally informed Wendy, “Wen, a man is following us, and he’s been staring at you.” Wendy tried to turn, “No, don’t turn around, let’s stay close together. Get in the middle, between us. Just in case..”

Joy and Irene both grabbed one of Wendy’s hands and Joy held onto her ring bag with the other, “Let’s just be safe, stay close, Wen.” Joy said.

Wendy was worried, as she held onto Joy and Irene’s hands, she wanted—no needed—Seulgi , but at least she had her two best friends with her and she wasn’t alone. The magic of the tiny carnival had been dashed away now that this was happening.

 

-----

 

In the crowd, the three stood and watched Seulgi climb onstage with the three ribbons that she needed to give out. She began with third place and moved down to one.

The three of them still stood hand in hand, but figured the man had stopped following once they’d crossed into the crowded area around the stage. Wendy smiled when Seulgi began to speak. Seulgi announced the winner of the third place ribbon, and then from behind them, someone leaned in and whispered, “Hey Wendy.”

 

-----

 

Irene practically jumped out of her skin, Joy gasped and they both let Wendy’s hands go on instinct.

“Don’t,” Wendy yelled.

She turned around as the man stood before them, he removed his sunglasses, and then, though still frightened a bit, she recognized him, “John?” she asked, “Is that you?”

“Yeah, hey, it’s me,” he slurred.

“Guys, this is John,” Wendy said cautiously, “He’s the guy we met at the club a while ago remember? That night when the new club opened? I used to work with his fiancée.”

“Oh yeah,” Joy said, grabbing onto Wendy’s hand again, Irene did the same.

“Why have you been following us?” Irene asked, her eyebrows furrowed in concern.

“I-I haven’t s-s-seen Wendy in sooo long and needed to t-talk to her alone,” John’s speech was clearly impaired.

 

-----

 

On the stage, Seulgi announced the second place winner but looked out into the middle of the crowd as she smiled for a photo-op and could see what was going on with Wendy. Her eyes were sharp, even in the dimly lit night. She had noticed the three when they walked into the stage area, and now someone was behind them, talking to them, goading them to talk. The person looked familiar to her, and then it hit her. When she realized who it was she wanted to hop down right that instant and take care of the person harassing her girlfriend and best friends, but she refrained and continued the announcement.

 

-----

 

“Well, she’s with us, and I think you’re drunk,” Joy said, “So I don’t think she wants to talk with you.”

“Besides that,” Irene said, “Why are you even here? And where’s your fiancée?”

“Yeah,” Wendy said, “Where is she?”

“We broke up, well s-she broke up with me. I thought maybe you were single too since I didn’t see you with that girlfriend of yours.”

“Yeah, well, if you look on stage, Wendy’s girlfriend is right there,” Joy said, grabbing Wendy’s hand again and squeezing it reassuringly. Wendy nodded in response to Joy, and squeezed her hand back.. Seulgi announced the grand prize winner on stage, but inside her blood was boiling to see the man still standing there trying to get to Wendy.

“We’re still together John, but I am sorry about your fiancée,” Wendy said, as politely as she could. Irene took her other hand again, and they all stood together.

“What a damn joke,” drunk John whispered.

“What did you say?” Irene asked.

“I said, What a damn Joke,” John yelled. People in the crowd turned to look at him.

“Why would my relationship be a joke?” Wendy asked, anger coursing through her veins at John’s words.

“You gave up your job for someone like that?” John asked, pointing riotously at the stage, “Well, great. Fantastic.”

If John hadn’t spoken those words, the scene wouldn’t have escalated, but his statement tore through Wendy wildly and she spoke up, “I don’t even know you that well, John. I’ve worked with your fian—ex-fiancee twice, and you work at a music station where I’ve rarely seen you. You have no reason to be harassing me or my friends like this. So my girlfriend is someone like who, John? Who did I give up my job for?” Wendy demanded.

“Calm down, Wen,” Irene whispered, “It’s ok.”

John choked on his own laughter, “Someone like that on stage.” He pointed to the stage again but no one was on it.

Then, like a scene from a drama, some tapped John on the shoulder, “You mean someone like me, John?”

And Wendy smiled, knowing it was Seulgi behind him.

 

-----

 

Why are you following my girlfriend and friends around? Have I been proven correct on my first impression of you when we were in the club?” Seulgi asked, “You seemed different then, but I guess I was right.

“Yeah, what was t-that? Your first impression?” John asked.

“I don’t know, maybe that you’re a creep? Just leave my girlfriend and friends alone, and leave.”

“Your girlfriend? You think you can take care of her?” John scoffed, “Whatever, I’m staying.”

In that moment, Seulgi had never wanted to hit someone more in her entire life, but she looked at Wendy and realized John wasn’t worth it. She wasn’t afraid of him, she felt capable, but this moment was looking sadder by the second, “Look, I think you’re drunk and haven’t realized what you’re doing or saying to me right now, but it’s time for you to go John.”

“I’m staying,” John slurred.

Seulgi stepped from behind John, and walked in front of Wendy, Irene, and Joy, “You’re not staying, John. I don’t know why you’re here to begin with, you don’t live in this neighborhood,” Seulgi glanced off into the distance and raised her hand. Someone began to walk over.

“I’ve called you a cab,” Seulgi said, “Go home, now. Never follow Wendy or anyone around us again. If I see you around the neighborhood, I will call the police and press charges against you for stalking. I hope when you’re sober, you realize what you’ve done.” Then she nodded.

The security man helped drunk John away, and when they were out of sight, Seulgi turned to check on Wendy and her friends, “Is everyone okay?”

“Yes,” Wendy said, “Thanks for the back-up.”

“Always, I was ready to jump off the stage if need be, I saw it all from there. Did he try to hurt any of you?”

“No,” Irene said.

“Unnie spotted him so we were lucky,” Joy said, “I think he was just really drunk though.”

“I think so too,” Seulgi said, “But I’d rather not take chances.”

“Thanks, baby,” Wendy said. Irene and Joy were still holding her hands but let go when they saw that she wanted to hug Seulgi. Seulgi opened her arms, and pulled Wendy in.

“I hope that didn’t ruin everything,” Seulgi said to Wendy.

“It didn’t, it was a little trying there for a moment, but I’m okay,” Wendy replied.

“So, besides that,  did I miss anything?” Seulgi asked.

And with the tension gone, they all laughed.

 

 

===

 

3. Wheel

 

 

They were on the Ferris Wheel, one car above Joy and Irene and then they moved and stopped at the top. From where they sat the whole carnival and parts of Seoul were visible. The neon light of the carnival rides shone brightly in the blue night. The smells of fried dough and sugar rose towards them.

“This is really cliché isn’t it?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, it is, but I don’t mind. Look, I’m sorry about John. I had no idea he could do something like that,” Wendy replied.

“When someone gets their heart broken, they’ll do whatever to get over it. I think he just had one too many drinks,” Seulgi said.

“That’s true.”

“Anyway, let’s not think about him anymore,” Seulgi said, “I hope it was just a one time thing, but I’m not going to let anyone hurt you.”

“I know,” Wendy said, “Same here, he was more talk than anything else. I told him off.”

“Really? I wish I could have heard you, I’m so glad I have you, Wan-ah.”

“I’m glad I have you too.”

They stayed at the top for a little while longer, and then the ride was over.

 

===

 

4. Keys

 

 

“I want to go to the keys,” Wendy said, pulling her pajama top on.

“The Keys?” Seulgi asked, confusion on her face.

“In Florida,” Wendy said, “The location I’ve been thinking about, I know it’s a long way.”

“Oh, I know what you mean now,” Seulgi said, “I don’t care how far away it is.”

“It really is a long way, though,” Wendy said, “If you think of something else just tell me.”

“I have a better idea,” Seulgi said.

“What is it?” Wendy asked.

“I say we go there for the first week, and then hit Hawaii on the way back,” Seulgi said.

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Seulgi said, happily, “Would that be fun?”

“Of course it would,” Wendy said, she ran up to Seulgi, who was next to the night stand and gave her a hug.

“Two weeks alone in paradise?” Seulgi asked, she leaned in and kissed Wendy.

Wendy kissed her back and moved Seulgi’s hands around her waist. She felt Seulgi’s thumb brush under her pajama top. Suddenly something came to Wendy’s mind, “Oh shoot, I had something for you, but I left it with Joy.”

“It’s okay, we’ll get it later.”

“I hope she still has it,” Wendy said.

“I’m sure she does,” Seulgi said, working her way underneath Wendy’s shirt again, “Let’s relax, look at me.”

“Wendy looked up into the inferno that was Seulgi’s eyes, “We’ll get it later, right now…bed?”

Wendy hummed at the feeling of Seulgi’s hands working against her skin, “Yes, bed.”

 

 

=====

 

 

Double Update: 14 Next