The Call

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

 

Seulgi and Wendy had woken up very late, much later than usual since they’d been on vacation, not that that was a bad thing. They’d spent the entire night in each other’s arms, and when the morning light had made its way into their hotel room, Wendy got up and shut the blinds so that they could sleep in.

Now, after several hours spent in bed, they were sat at a very late lunch filling their famished stomachs.

“Is the sandwich good?”

“Yeah, I was really hungry,” Wendy said, “So basically anything was going to be good. But this is tasty.”

“Same here, we worked up quite an appetite last night,” Seulgi whispered.

“True,” Wendy laughed, “There was no stopping us.”

“I’m glad we can talk like this,” Seulgi said, “So openly.”

“Me too,” Wendy said, “It reminds me of all those nights and mornings we talked to each other when I was away. You were so honest with me then about all that was going on in your life, about all those times you had to go out with people, all that press that you got.”

“I was really naïve though,” Seulgi said, taking another bite of her sandwich.

“Well, maybe I was too, I’m just glad we’re still like this, I’ve always trusted you, you know that, right?”

“I’m the same with you, I’ve always put my trust in you,” Seulgi replied, “You were always gracious and understanding then, as you are now. You’re so patient and kind, I love you.”

“I love you too,” Wendy said.

“Want to take a walk down by the pier after we eat? It’s getting late,” Seulgi asked.

“Sure, sounds good,” Wendy replied.

 

-----

 

Back in Seoul, the morning was bustling and busy, and Joy and Irene were busy eating at Irene’s apartment for breakfast before they needed to head back upstairs to the studio for a late start to their day.

Joy dug into her rice and spoke up suddenly, “Thanks for inviting me over this morning, unnie.”

“No problem,” Irene said, “I fixed enough for both of us.”

“Can I ask you something, unnie? It’s a little random.”

“Sure,” Irene replied.

“Seulgi’s really changed hasn’t she?”

“You’re right, this is a little random. Yeah, she’s changed, but that’s not a bad thing is it?” Irene asked,

“No, of course not,” Joy replied, “I’m just been thinking back to all those late nights in the studio by herself spent mindlessly designing setups for photo shoots, and now she rushes home to be with Wendy. I’m glad she has her now. I was worried before Wendy came back that she may burn out to quickly.”

“I know,” Irene agreed, she dug her spoon into her rice, “Remember all that ramen she used to eat because she can’t cook? She is really fit, but that wasn’t sustenance enough for her. She’s totally clueless in the kitchen.”

Joy laughed and nodded, “And remember all those “dates” people set her up on and we had to tag along on them? She just went on them because she thought they were friendly group get-togethers didn’t she? They were good for business though, they gave Seul a lot of connections.”

“Yeah, that’s very true, but I’m glad we always went as well, in the group I mean,” Irene replied, “Remember how they’d always ask her to bring them to see her apartment, and she really thought they just wanted to look at her furniture?”

“I remember. Seulgi was naïve three years ago when she hit it big here, that’s when all those paparazzi were following her, but now she’s got them under control, and she knows who to put her trust in,” Joy said.

“She brought Wendy home that first night, didn’t even let her stay any longer at the hotel, and hasn’t left her side since then. She hadn’t done that in a very long time, so that’s how I knew Wendy was the real deal,” Irene said.

“Wendy is amazing and so good for her, she was around before Seulgi’s business, they were friends before Seulgi made it, so I trust Wendy.” Joy said.

“I know, I trust her too, and I’m sort of glad they were friends first, and then had all that distance between them. That distance let Seulgi grow up, make mistakes, and now she’s ready to settle down with Wendy. I think they’re good for each other,” Irene said.

“I think so too,” Joy replied.

 

-----

 

Seulgi and Wendy basked in the evening’s orange glow as they walked down the pier hand in hand. To their right and left was the ocean, and in front of them only the horizon for miles and miles.  The waves crashed against the thick, heavy rocks dotted along the edges of the pier, and the sea water washed over them like a silvery, foam blanket.

“Today was a good day, it was nice to walk around and see some more of the sights,” Wendy said.

“Yeah, I think so too,” Seulgi smiled.

“Let’s make sure to carve out some time soon to do a road trip to the beach when we get back home, we wouldn’t have to drive far. Maybe on a weekend.”

Seulgi smiled, “That’s a good idea, it won’t be like this, but maybe we can take Irene, Joy, and Yeri along as well, maybe make a day of it. Picnic and the works.”

“Yeah, that sounds good,” Wendy said, “But no sandcastles, that’s our thing.”

“You got it,” Seulgi said, “Want to head back to the hotel now?”

“Sure,” Wendy said, “Let’s go.”

 

-----

 

When they returned from the apartment, Irene began work on logos for a local company, and Joy sifted through files that needed to be organized.

“I’ve got these logos in the works for Yeri to work on and eventually finish when she comes in tomorrow,” Irene said, “It will be good practice for her.”

“Good, I told her to be here early,” Joy said, “Like 8:30 early.”

“Are you going to be here then?” Irene asked, “We’re usually not even in until 10:00.”

“I’ll be here,” Joy said.

“I’ll stop by somewhere and get some donuts or pastries, something, and then I’ll be here too,” Irene said, “If you two are coming in early, then so am I.”

“Thanks, unnie,” Joy smiled, “Now let’s get back to work.

 

-----

 

Around 12:00 PM, as Irene and Joy continued to work, the studio phone rang, and though they usually didn’t pick up during lunch hours—they weren’t actually eating lunch—Joy decided to go ahead and answer.

She carefully picked up the phone hit the on button and spoke in her most professional voice,“Kang Studios, this is Joy.”

The person on the other end mumbled a greeting that only Joy could hear, and then plainly asked for Photographer Kang.  Irene stayed at the computer but listened carefully to the call.

“Miss Kang isn’t in, she’s on vacation, may I ask who is calling?” Joy asked. Irene turned and looked at Joy then and silently urged that she put the speaker phone on, but Joy was oblivious.

The person murmured a name and seemingly the company he worked for through the receiver, but Irene couldn’t make out what they were saying, only Joy would be able to understand at this rate. Irene shrugged, turned around again, and let Joy conduct business.

“Oh,” Joy said, surprised at hearing the name, “It’s very kind of you to call directly to the office, but Miss Kang is on vacation, though only for a couple more days.”

Irene looked up from the computer screen again and saw the look of shock on Joy’s face. Someone important was on the other end of the line.

The voice seemed to somehow be aware of the vacation, and then presumably began to speak about why he was calling for Miss Kang.

Joy’s shocked face remained, but she grabbed a pen and pad and began to take notes for fear that she’d forget exactly what the man was telling her, “Yes, sir,” she said, “I’m positive that Miss Kang would be very interested in your offer.”

The voice continued.

“Oh good, so it won’t start until summer is over?” She wrote on the paper again.

The voice clearly answered, “Yes.”

“I will call Miss Kang right now and let her know, She’ll call you when she gets back from her vacation, will that work, sir?”

Joy laughed at the man’s apparent attempt at a joke. Irene only stared, trying to gauge the seriousness of the situation through Joy’s voice. The normal spark of sarcasm that was usually present was completely absent, that sent a message to Irene that the man on the other end was not only important, but most likely meant serious business.

“Yes, she’ll be very pleased to hear this, but you want to be the one to tell her? Is that right?”

“Yes,” The man said again. Yes was the only reply Irene could understand.

“Okay, I’ll just call her and tell her that her schedule is full I won’t spill any details to her, she’ll only be a couple more days away.” Joy said, “Thank you for calling. Is this number okay to relay back to her?”

“Sure,” The voice said so loudly that even Irene could hear.

“Alright, she’ll call you as soon as she gets back in town, yes sir, thank you. Goodbye.” Joy hung up the phone carefully.

“Who was it Joy?” Irene asked, eager to hear what was going on.

Joy trembled a bit—something she wasn’t prone to doing—and then whispered, “Seulgi’s big break.”

 

-----

 

Seulgi and Wendy began their walk back to the hotel and talked about dinner—though they’d just had a very nice lunch they were beginning to grow hungry after their long walk— and then they discussed the beautiful weather, and their impending trip back to Seoul. They arrived back, and Seulgi—who wanted to take a shower—went instantly to the bathroom.

Seulgi prepared a towel, and was about to get in the shower when she was interrupted by her phone ringing in the bedroom. Without clothes, she unashamedly walked into the bedroom, glanced at the phone, and saw that it was Joy on the line, “Hey Joy, how are you?”

“Great, everything is great back home, is it fun?” Joy’s voice was a bit frantic

“Yeah, we’re having fun.”

“Good,” Joy replied, answering quickly, “I’m just calling to let you know that you’ve already got schedules for when you come back, and…a very exciting offer.”

“Good,” Seulgi said, “What’s the offer?”

“I’ve been sworn to secrecy,” Joy’s voice mumbled.

“Why?” Seulgi asked.

“I’ll just say now that it’s a big deal,” Joy said, “Major, very major.”

“Okay,” Seulgi said, confused but interested.

“Just enjoy the last couple of days of your vacation, that’s what I’ve been told to say. I’ve got to go, we’re working hard for you, Boss.”

“Thanks Joy, tell unnie I said hello, I will talk to you soon.”

“Bye,” Joy said hurriedly, not wanting to spill the beans about the secret.

Suddenly the line went dead and Seulgi shrugged, “Well, that was strange,” she said to herself.

 

-----

 

“I just got the strangest call from Joy,” Seulgi said to Wendy as she sat on the bed, perplexed and still . Wendy, who had been out on their balcony walked back inside and met Seulgi in the bedroom.

“What was it about?” Wendy asked, “And why are you ?”

“The phone rang before I could get in the shower, so I just came in here and answered it,” Seulgi replied, “Apparently I’ve got a major offer when I get back home, but the person offering wants to be the one to tell me.”

“Wow, that is strange, but exciting,” Wendy said, “What’s the offer about any details at all?”

“That’s what I asked too, but Joy said she’s been sworn to secrecy,” Seulgi answered, “They said they wanted me to enjoy the rest of my vacation, so it must be major if they’re willing to let me finish the vacation and don’t want me to call them back right away.”

“Yeah, it must be,” Wendy said, her smile began to fade, and though she was excited for Seulgi’s prospects, she wasn’t ready to think about work just yet. Thank God, they weren’t making Seulgi call them back right away. Seulgi picked up Wendy’s feelings from her voice alone and walked over to her.

“Don’t worry, my priority is you right now,” Seulgi said, cozying up to Wendy, “I’m in vacation-mode still. We have a couple more days. Business can wait.”

“I know, but I’m excited to hear about the offer as well,” Wendy said.

“Just not yet?” Seulgi asked, she let out a gentle laugh and grabbed Wendy’s hand.

Wendy nodded, then dug her head into Seulgi’s neck.

Let’s just try not to think about it,” Seulgi said, “Or we may get anxious, and right now I just want to relax. Whatever the offer is, I want to have you with me when we discuss it.”

“Okay, let’s just think about relaxing, and food,” Wendy said, “Are you hungry again?”

“Definitely,” Seulgi said.

“Do you want to skip your shower and join me at the pool?”

Seulgi nodded enthusiastically.

“Then let’s go get some food and then hit the pool,” Wendy said.

Seulgi got up and began to move toward the door before Wendy cleared , “May want to put a suit on before you go out, baby.”

Seulgi looked down at herself and reddened at the sight.

“…Unless you want to go skinny-dipping?” Wendy asked, “I’m sure we can have that arranged.”

“Not tonight,” Seulgi said, laughing, “Do you already have a suit on?”

“Yeah, I put one on as soon as you went in the bathroom,” Wendy answered, “I’ll wait on you, there’s no rush.”

“Thanks,” Seulgi said. She went to the drawers where they’d put their clothes and rummaged through to find a suit, once she did, she went into the bathroom to change.

Wendy plopped down on the bed and waited for Seulgi. Thoughts of the food they could get, the pool, and the strange phone call from Joy scrolled through her brain. It would be hard not to think of home, of the business, of the apparent major offer that Seulgi would get when they got back home, but Wendy could only push those thoughts back for now. She smiled when Seulgi peaked through the bathroom door, and stamped out the strange feeling of anxiousness that had eased into her mind at the thought of the offer.

“Ready?” Seulgi asked.

Wendy perked up, “Ready, baby.”

 

-----

 

Wendy was in the pool when Seulgi came back when the shaved ices. They’d eaten dinner before the pool, but Seulgi, on a whim, went and got dessert for the both of them after they’d swam for a while

When she’d paid and began the walk back from the shaved ice stand, Seulgi began to think about Joy’s phone call again. She couldn’t help it, Joy hadn’t exactly been forthright with details about the call, and now that fact was nagging at Seulgi’s mind. With two more days left in Hawaii, she wanted to just focus on Wendy, the phone would still work when she got back to Korea.

Back at the pool, she called Wendy out, who had been doing laps.

“Cool, shaved ice?” Wendy asked.

“Yeah, thought it would be nice. I got you raspberry and pineapple, is that okay?”

“Yeah, sounds great,” Wendy said, “What flavors did you get?”

“Coconut and lime,” Seulgi answered as she dug in, “Mmm, tasty.”

Wendy took a bite of hers as well, “You’re right, it is good.”

After a while their cups of shaved ice were empty and they both sat on Seulgi’s lounge chair and huddled together to look up at the stars and the swaying palms that were bending ever so slightly with the night breeze. The orange sky from earlier had faded to dark blue, and the faint glow of the pool lights seemed eerie as it illuminated their faces.

The quiet had taken over them until Wendy spoke up, She looked to Seulgi and lilted softly and gently, “I’ve been thinking about your phone call with Joy, even though we said we wouldn’t.”

Seulgi nodded and grabbed Wendy’s hand, the ripples in the pool water bounced off the underwater lights and reflected on Wendy’s face strangely, “Honestly, I have too. I wish Joy would have just told me who it was, but…maybe it’s better to wait until we get home, I don’t know. Either way we’re going to be thinking about it, don’t you think so?”

“I’ve been thinking about it since you told me about it, baby. She said it was major, right?”

“Yes,” Seulgi answered simply.

“Then that’s good, it will be good for you and your business,” Wendy said.

“I think so too, but you’re still worried, right?” Seulgi asked.

“Yeah, a little,” Wendy replied.

“Well, whatever it is and whatever the offer, we’ll be together for it, right?”

“I will always be with you,” Wendy said, “No matter what. The offer is an exciting prospect whatever it may be, so I’m proud of you already, it’s not you I’m worried about, I’ll put it that way. I trust you.”

“I know, and you have nothing to worry about anyway,” Seulgi said quietly.

Wendy nodded, “ Let’s deal with the details at home, we won’t find them out until then anyway. The studio is in good hands for now.”

“You’re right, and I want you to know that I’ve never doubted you once when it comes to you backing my business. I mean, you’re working with me now. You’ve always been supportive of me, and I can never repay you for that. ”

“Sure you can,” Wendy whispered.

“How?”

“Just kiss me,” Wendy said, “That’s enough for this moment.”

 

-----

 

Later in bed, Wendy huddled close to Seulgi. She had wrapped her arm around Seulgi’s stomach, and they’d both melted into each other and rested their tired bones after making love. Skin on skin, they were warm and content, and Seulgi looked proudly at Wendy as she slept. Seulgi realized how precious, strong, capable, and brave Wendy was and always had been over the many years they’d known one another. Even through these thoughts though, one statement that Wendy had said earlier echoed through Seulgi’s head,

 

“…….It will be good for you and your business…….”

 

“Maybe,” Seulgi thought to herself, “Maybe it will be the best thing that has ever happened to me or my business. But will it be good for us?”

Seulgi wasn’t just thinking of herself and her business anymore, she was part of a team, a real relationship that she counted on every day. Her relationship with Wendy was the most important part of her life now, and even though it had once been filled with only business, once Wendy had appeared in her again, things had changed, she’d changed, and it was for the better. So now, this apparent offer she’d received was turning cartwheels in her mind and in her heart. Choosing her business over Wendy would never work, that was a lost cause and something she would never do, but outright rejecting something so major seemed very foolish as well. It all depended on exactly what it was. It would be something they would need to discuss together. That was the only solution, for Wendy to be fully apart of whatever it was.

Wendy jostled a bit and made herself even more comfortable against Seulgi’s side.

“I love you,” Seulgi whispered timidly, so as not to wake Wendy up.

Only the moon shone in their room for light. Wendy crinkled her nose and moved her lips daringly, “I love you too.”

Seulgi smiled, and felt Wendy smile as well, “I really do love you, baby.”

“Same here,” Wendy said, “More than anything.”

“Whatever’s next we’ll conquer together, it’ll be an adventure,” Seulgi said, but sleep had crept back over Wendy, and Seulgi wasn’t sure if she’d heard her. She would have to tell her again tomorrow.

The quiet fully drifted over them again, but Seulgi’s thoughts still rumbled.

“It will be good for you and your business……..but will it be good for us?”

“…good for us?”

“…for us?”

Not just me anymore, but us.

 

===

 

Thank you for checking this chapter out! Please subscribe and comment, it really makes my day!

So…this is the real beginning of the story, I think. Next chapter will reveal more, much more.

Stay tuned for chapter 20. Seulgi has some exciting prospects coming up, and I can’t wait for you to read the rest of the story, so no worries, okay?

If you want to follow me on twitter I’m @SnapshotsandInk

Feel free to follow me there and ask questions, I’ll do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

Thanks again.