Back Again

Snapshots of a Girl in Motion

 

 

Seulgi walked down the crowded street, the mid-summer sun long set, her hands jammed in her jean pockets, and camera slung over her right shoulder in case she found the perfect shot. She was making her way to a meeting that she never thought she’d see so soon. A meeting three years in the making. Time had flown by.

The Seoul night was coming alive as couples walked hand in hand, businessmen made their way to bars and restaurants to drink their pains of work away. Seulgi understood their worries, their thoughts. Their minds practically screamed at her as she walked past them. And now her worry, her only thought for the past three years would make itself known again in physical form very soon. Something she looked forward too, someone she couldn’t wait to see.

She hoped her casual dress wouldn’t be off-putting. They would be meeting at an office, so Seulgi was unsure if her Converses, jeans, white V-neck, and snapback would be appropriate. Seulgi could only think of the face she needed to see so desperately after so long. As she walked she thought of the day her best friend had asked her to be more.

 

===

 

“…Wendy-ah, you know I love you, I’m—“

“—Just not ready?” Wendy interrupted.

Seulgi walked nearer to Wendy and took her hand, “I need to work hard, for me, for you, give me some more time, I’m almost there.”

“…I got a job offer back home at a really awesome entertainment company,” Wendy said quietly, “That’s why I’m telling you this now. I hoped we could…cement our feelings, but you don’t seem to want what I want right now.”

“Wendy, you’re my best friend…and I know we’re more than that now, more than friends.”

“I need to know whether to take the job, I would give up this offer for you,” Wendy said, “Maybe I haven’t seen things clearly. You’ve been so busy with other people that I didn’t think you noticed my feelings, have I read you wrong, Seul?”

“My feelings for you are real. I—I’ve only ever seen you, Seungwan, you’re it, but we can’t give up on what we’re building right now. I want the best for both of us,” Seulgi said, looking directly into Wendy’s eyes.

Wendy smiled, “I’ve told you my feelings, and you’ve just told me yours, but I still have to go, don’t I? It’s my dream job but I have to leave you to take it. That’s ironic.”

“Wendy, the timing’s off, that’s all. It’s the universe or whatever telling us we’re not ready. I can’t commit to anyone right now…even though I want to.”

“But when I’m gone, you’ll date other people, right? You’ve dated with me here. I know we’ve only been friends until now but you can date them, and…not me?” Wendy asked sadly.

Seulgi walked Wendy to the couch where they both sat, “It’s not like that. I haven’t seen anyone else in at least a year, and even then it was just one date. I love how close we’ve been lately, closer than usual, like we’re working towards something more. You’re precious to me, but I can’t commit to you right now. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to. It doesn’t mean I don’t want you. I do want you, but with everything happening now with my business and your job offer, I’m not going to interfere with you getting a job you’ve always wanted.

 “Well,” Wendy said, “My heart is yours, and now you won’t take it.”

“Seungwan-ah, I’m sorry,” Seulgi leaned closer and took Wendy into her arms, “I just can’t give myself to you now,  even though it’s what we both want. Please forgive me. I still want you. I need you.”

“You need me?” Wendy breathed.

“Always, I’ll be yours when the time is right.” Seulgi whispered.

“You really want me?”

“I want you as you want me,” Seulgi said, “When we’ve made our own paths, I’ll take your heart and keep it safe, and my heart will be yours. I promise.”

 

===

 

When Wendy finally left the country two weeks after their conversation, they  stayed in touch; even when their lives grew busy, and Seulgi’s photography studio became famous they stayed connected. They tried to talk several times a week through text, Skype, and on the phone. Their cells and internet were their link to one another. They’d celebrated their birthdays together on Skype since they were so close together, they watched movies together when they were free, and talked about life and their still blooming relationship. Seulgi often sent Wendy long stories on text that made Wendy laugh at work. Wendy often sent Seulgi short videos of her singing songs.

They made each other laugh, and their love grew deeper even without the most important sense: touch. They craved touch, but were left wanting, hoping it would be fulfilled soon. When they went a long while before talking, Seulgi would feel a knot forming in her heart, a need that couldn’t be quenched until she’d heard Wendy’s voice. Seulgi remained true to Seungwan, as Seungwan stayed true to her.

In the third year’s Spring, this year’s Spring, three solid years since Wendy had been physically gone, she called Seulgi in the deepest part of the night with excitement ringing in her voice. It took a while before Seulgi could make out what she was saying, but soon realized that the excitement was because Wendy was finally coming back from her home, to their home, Seoul. She was coming back to work as a top vocal coach at a prestigious and famous music company, and wondered if instead of searching high and low for a place to say, could she stay with Seulgi.

Even through her nervous feelings, really just butterflies of excitement to finally be able see Seungwan again, Seulgi agreed to let Wendy stay.

And now on this evening, after working hard at a shoot, Seulgi was on her way to pick up Wendy from her work. Wendy had arrived three days prior and was staying in a hotel. Due to their schedules they still hadn’t met back up yet. They kept their phone routine and spoke what seemed every hour figuring out Wendy’s luggage situation and everything they would need for her to move in with Seulgi.

Tonight, Seulgi planned to take Wendy out to eat, if she wasn’t too tired. Wendy’s luggage had been delivered the previous day with still more to come, so Seulgi knew that Wendy really was in town. It thrilled her to know they would be meeting soon.

 

===

 

Seulgi finally made it to the office building that Wendy had started her new job in. She rode the elevator up to the designated floor and waited in the lobby for Wendy to appear.

After a while and still no sign of Wendy, she pulled her phone out and texted Wendy that she was here in the lobby. She received a quick text back:

Be right out, grabbing my stuff ;)

Seulgi sat and pondered the winking emoji, a sign that Wendy had had a good day. The butterflies in her stomach lurched again from hunger and some other emotion she recognized but pushed aside for now. Excitement surged too, even through all the communication they had done over the years, Seulgi knew that seeing Wendy in person would be a different story. Seulgi’s eyes were still glued on her phone screen, the ;) emoji winking back, when she heard a voice,

“Kang Seulgi.”

And Seulgi looked up to see a vision she’d dreamed about for three years.

 

===

 

“Seulgi, I’ve missed you,” The sleek, sweet voice said, and Seulgi did a double take.

There before her stood Wendy, but not just any Wendy, an achingly gorgeous Wendy dressed impeccably while she, Seulgi, bummed around in a t-shirt.

Wendy walked closer to Seulgi, who then reacted by jumping up from her seat, “Wait,” Seulgi said, and Wendy stopped in her tracks, confused. Seulgi slung her camera from her shoulder to her hand, and began to fire off shots of Wendy. After the shots, Seulgi dropped her phone. It landed with a thunk on the tile floor. Seulgi’s eyes flitted back and forth between the beautiful woman in front of her, and the phone that still lay on the ground.

Wendy laughed at her clumsy friend and walked closer, leaned over and picked up the phone. She was happy she still had this effect on Seulgi, “Are you alright, Seul?”

“Of course,” Seulgi said, “You’re so beautiful, I had to capture this moment on film, or actually on my sd card, not film, though I could capture you on film if you would sit for me at the studio.”

Wendy’s eyes widened at Seulgi’s fast talk, “Thanks, Seulgi-ah, I’ll sit for you whenever, wherever you like. Thanks for the compliment,” Wendy grabbed Seulgi’s free hand, “I’ve never seen you like this, it’s just me, Wendy.”

“Well it’s an even more gorgeous Wendy,” Seulgi said, squeezing Wendy’s hand, “I mean, I know you, I know everything about you, but seeing you tonight is different, you’re so beautiful, just like you always are, of course, but it’s different.”

Wendy blushed, “Thank you.”

“I look terrible next to you,” Seulgi said confessed, “I’ve come straight from a shoot, but I should have dressed for the occasion.”

“No,” Wendy said, “You look amazing, really y like that, besides I can change. I have clothes with me,” Wendy pointed to her bag.

“Really?”

“Yeah, let me go back to my office and change,” She let go of Seulgi’s hand, “Stay here, and then we’ll go.”

 

===

 

A few minutes later, Wendy came back in casual clothes, jeans, and a plaid shirt, with black sneakers, her hair in a bun on top of her head.

“I think you look even better with these clothes,” Seulgi said.

Wendy smiled.

“Are you hungry?” Seulgi asked.

“Starving,” Wendy said.

“I want to take you out, it won’t be too special, but that can be for later, I want you to relax.”

“I’ll go wherever you’re going, Seul, don’t worry.”

“Same,” Seulgi said, “Let’s go eat,” She grabbed Wendy’s hand and walked to the elevator.

 

===

 

In the fluorescent light of the restaurant, they grilled meat and talked like the old friend they were.

“Thanks for changing clothes,” Seulgi said, “It may have been awkward if you’d stayed in your nice work clothes.”

Wendy smiled, “This is how I usually dress when I’m not working, and sometimes they’ll let me dress like this anyway. Since this is my first week, I wanted to make a good first impression.”

“Well, you look amazing either way, but these clothes suit your personality,” Seulgi said.

“Wow, you sure know how to make a girl feel good, Seul.”

“You deserve it. I need to make it up to you for all the time we’ve lost.”

“Thank you.”

“Let’s go somewhere after this,” Seulgi said. Wendy nodded in agreement, and they finished their meal.

 

===

 

After Seulgi paid, they made their way outside hands held tightly together. The bell on the restaurant door rang as they stole away into the evening. The Seoul night swirled around them in bright neon lights, muffled chatter inside shops, and music spilling onto the sidewalk where they were walking.

“I’ve missed this,” Wendy said, letting go of Seulgi’s hand and wrapping her arm through the loop of Seulgi’s arm instead.

Seulgi smiled brightly, her face lit by green and purple as they walked beneath a flashing sign, “You miss the busy, crowded, loud streets?”

“No,” Wendy leaned in to Seulgi’s ear and whispered, “I missed you.”

Seulgi blushed and leaned away from Wendy, embarrassed that the whisper had sent a familiar chill down her spine. The chill of almost love, of anticipation. The chill of the moments they’d stolen together late at night on one side of the world, afternoon on the other when one of them couldn’t sleep, the whispers they’d sent through their receivers to each other’s ears.  The secrets only they knew.

Seulgi finally regained her composure, “Are you going to like your new job at the famous company?”

“You’re the famous one of the two of us,” Wendy chuckled.

“More like infamous,” Seulgi replied.

“I know, I’ve been reading all about you,” Wendy said.

“You mean news from Korea makes its way to Canada?” Seulgi joked.

“There’s this little thing called the internet,” Wendy smiled, “Besides, you told me everything that’s happened. You were making connections for your business, there’s nothing wrong with having friends.”

“I know,” Seulgi said, “My job was to be honest with you, and I always have been. All those people I’ve been out with are just friends. Whatever scandals I’ve been in are totally false.

“I’ve always believed you,” Wendy said, “Subject change, let me answer your company question. It’s nice being able to manage artists, help them vocally. Maybe I can help them in a way I never was.”

“You’re the best singer I’ve ever heard,” Seulgi said, “I know because I’ve heard a lot of singers. You’ve just made it into the business another way. Besides we’ll go to the noraebang a lot and you can out sing me every time.

“I’ve heard your voice, Seul, let’s just practice duets, your voice is amazing too.”

Seulgi laughed and agreed to the plan.

 

===

 

“Oh, did my luggage make it to your studio?” Wendy asked after they’d stopped at the cupcake shop.

“Yeah, you can come straight home with me,” Seulgi said.

“I still have another night at the hotel.”

“I’ll take care of it, come home with me instead.”

“Really?” Wendy asked.

“Of course, I want you there with me as fast as possible,” Seulgi replied.

“Are you—are you accepting my three-year-old  confession?” Wendy asked.

“Look, I love you, we’ll need to get used to this, but my heart’s yours, remember? I promised. We’ll ease into this.”

“I agree,” Wendy said.

“Let’s take these cupcakes home and enjoy them, I know you’re tired from working all day.”

“Sure,” Wendy said.

 

===

 

Wendy held the portable cupcake box as Seulgi fit the key into the lock on the service elevator.

“Are we going to the top?” Wendy asked as the door opened.

“Yeah, my apartment’s on top and the studio’s one floor below,” Seulgi said.

“Oh cool, do you have any neighbors you know?”

Seulgi grinned, “Yeah, the complex is full, I know everyone.”

“That’s good, back home, I only knew one of my neighbors. I usually just met friends I already knew from before.”

“Wendy-ah, I think even you know all of my neighbors.”

“Really?”

“They’re my friends, our friends that live in the building.”

“How did that happen?” Wendy asked, clueless.

“Wendy, I- I own this whole building,” Seulgi said shyly.

“You do?” Wendy said, shocked, “Wow, you never told me,” The elevator closed and they began the ride up.

“I didn’t want to seem different or out of touch, it’s nice having people I know here. We throw great parties. I like having everyone close. It feels good to have people around that I knew before my business grew.”

“I bet, I think it’s awesome, Seul. I’m proud of you, and I want you to know that I’ll pay my share of the rent,” Wendy said with furrowed brow.

Seulgi loved that quizzical look, “We’ll work something out, Wan-ah, don’t worry, the building is paid for though.”

“Oh,” Wendy said.

“No worries, okay?”

“I won’t, you’ve said not to worry and I won’t. This conversation is tabled for now,” Wendy smiled. The elevator stopped, “Let’s go eat these delicious cupcakes.”

The elevator door slid open and Wendy stopped talking when she saw the view in front of her.

 

===

 

Seulgi’s apartment was gorgeous and straight ahead was a wall of glass windows that showed a magnificent view of the city.

“Seulgi-ah, this is so beautiful.”

“I know,” Seulgi said looking at Wendy, not the view, “It’s gorgeous,” She grabbed Wendy’s hand, “Let me show you around.”

They toured the “perfect” kitchen as Wendy had called it, and gasped when Seulgi said she rarely even used it, “I eat takeout a lot.”

“Well, we’ll be changing that rather quickly, I’ll cook for us.”

“No, you don’t have too,” Seulgi said, hanging onto Wendy’s hand, “That’s not why I asked you to stay.”

Wendy laughed, “Of course, I know that. I want to cook for us, you didn’t demand it of me, you didn’t even tell me you had a BA kitchen like this.”

“A BA kitchen?”

“A bada*s kitchen, where I can cook us some awesome food, okay?” Wendy replied, “And we can eat out or get takeout too, just not every night.”

Seulgi smiled, “Yes, chef.”

Wendy laughed again, “Show me the rest?”

“You got it,” Hand in hand they toured the rest of the apartment.

 

===

 

“Is this room okay, Wendy? Seulgi asked as they worked to put some of her things away.

“Of course it’s okay,” Wendy said.

Seulgi looked thoughtful for a moment.

“What is it?” Wendy asked.

“I-I would let you stay with me, but let’s see—“

“How living like this goes first?”

Seulgi nodded.

“I think that’s the right way. We’ll work on us first and then gradually be closer,” Wendy said.

“I’d like for you to be comfortable here first, but I still want to spend time with you,” Seulgi tried to explain, “Not just leaving for separate room when we get home. I want to, oh gosh, I can’t explain it correctly without sounding wrong,” Seulgi blushed.

“I know what you mean, Seul.  I want that too. You want to hold me and be close to me, right?”

“Yes, relationships are hard work. I feel we should be close but still have separate places for now.”

Wendy nodded in agreement.

“I’m glad we’re on the same page,” Seulgi said, “And I’m glad you’re here with me.”

“That’s sweet, Seulgi-ah.”

“It’s true, I get lonely here by myself, even with all my friends living around me. I needed you here too, I  think.”

“I’m here, you’re not alone anymore,” Wendy said.

They smiled and continued working on Wendy’s luggage.

 

===

 

After most of Wendy’s luggage had been emptied and put away, the rest going to storage when it arrived, the women split up and changed into their sleep wear.

Tomorrow was Friday and Wendy would go in early but be off by 2:00. When Seulgi finished changing she called out for Wendy to join her in the master bedroom, a place they’d skipped on the tour.

Wendy walked quietly to the suite, knocked, and went it.

“It’s so you, Seul,” Wendy said as soon as she stepped through the door. The bed was large and looked really comfortable. All around were souvenirs from Seulgi’s travels, comic books, records, and CDs lined the walls and a few gorgeous paintings hung around the room, “Eclectic, like you.”

“Thanks,” Seulgi said, from the edge of the bed, “Come here next to me,” She patted the empty space next to her.

“Wendy walked over and took a seat next to Seulgi.

“Maybe I should have waited for a special moment to do this, but’s really something I want to do now, for personal and practical reasons,” Seulgi explained.

Wendy looked curiously at Seulgi wandering what was about to happen.

“It’s inevitable that some days we may not be able to be here at the same time. I may be out at a shoot or you may be coming home early,” Seulgi took her right hand and place it in Wendy’s left, “This is for you.”

Seulgi took her hand away, and left in Wendy’s was a shiny, silver, perfectly new…key.

Wendy smiled at Seulgi’s cute face, “You’re so cute,” she spoke aloud, echoing her thoughts. She leaned in and kissed Seulgi’s cheek, “Thank you for thinking of this, I never would have. I’ll keep it safe, I promise.”

Seulgi knew that Wendy meant more than the key, “We’ll keep each other safe,” Seulgi said, leaning in and returning the kiss to Wendy’s cheek.

 

===

 

After an back to her room and several overeager good nights from Seulgi, Wendy lay in her new bed thinking about the future, about her life back in Seoul and what her life with Seulgi could be like.

The night was dwindling down outside. The last patrons made their way back to where they needed to be, restaurants closed, and couples sent one last kiss through the air as they parted till tomorrow. Wendy lay still and thought only of Seulgi, of her beautiful smile, of the new key, and her new home.

 

 

 

 

 

=======

 

Thanks for checking out the first chapter! Let me know what you think!