Chapter 7

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

(For the first flashback, you can re-read chapter 2 to connect what  happened)

 

Yonghwa took one glass of soju and drank it one shot when he entered the restaurant after that intense conversation with Seohyun. 

 

No one asked anything. He looked so angry. He just apologized to Minho and didn’t say a word again for the entire night. After trying to continue to the night with less tension as possible, they all just decided to go home. 

 

Yonghwa drove angrily. He speeds up the car, his mind is full of anger and remorse then he halted the car and stepped on the brake with force. He stopped by Seohyun's apartment and stared at the window where her room is.

 

***

 

Ten years ago. (What happened inside the cafe)

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa went inside the cafe where their friends are waiting on that rainy day.

 

“So, you’re together now?” Jungshin asked the two jokingly, pointing at their hands that are still tightly clasped.

 

Yonghwa was drying up the yellow umbrella that he didn’t notice he was still holding Seohyun’s hand even though they’re inside the cafe already.

 

Their friends tease them endlessly, seeing them holding hands like lovers.

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun stared at each other and chuckled silently before they release each other’s hands.

 

“Aigoo... You’re just like the movie ‘The Classic’.” Tiffany said in the most girly and romantic tone she can. “Running closely together under the rain."

 

“So sweet.” Hyoyeon added.

 

Yonghwa continued to laugh silently at their teasing while Seohyun was blushing and telling all of them to stop. 

 

They were on the second floor of the cafe, filling the entire floor with their teasings and jokes continuously at Seohyun and Yonghwa. 

 

Yonghwa’s phone suddenly rang. 

 

“Hello?... Okay...Okay I’ll be there. Thank you.” He told the person on the other line then hang the phone up. Yonghwa turned to his friends. "I'm going out for a while, guys. Wait for me here."

 

“You’re going out? It’s raining heavily.” Seohyun said in concerned.

 

The boys cringed their fingers and tease for some more after hearing Seohyun’s worried tone for Yonghwa’s welfare. The girls were playfully tickling Seohyun and she blushed harder.

 

“What is this? Titanic? Rose and Jack?” Minhyuk said and everybody curled their fingers in cheesiness.

 

Yonghwa laughed, “No. No.. Seriously, I’ll just go out and get Krystal from the elementary building. Her teacher said that Krystal is the only one left there. She can't go home because of the rain." He said while getting his bag on the chair.

 

“Take care!” They all said. 

 

“I will..and Rose...” He turned to Seohyun jokingly and their friends teased more, “Rose, I’ll be back.” He said and laughed. 

 

They continued to talk randomly and still joke around. They talked from school stuff, to their school clubs up to the terror teachers in school while waiting for Yonghwa. Few minutes passed by without them noticing it.

 

“But really, Seohyun-ah...” Tiffany spoke, “Going back to you and Yonghwa... You guys are really so close and so sweet a while ago.” 

 

They’re back to teasing again. 

 

“You really suit each other. You’re pretty, he’s handsome... You’re one of the smartest in school and he’s one of the most popular. You guys are really so cute together." Hyoyeon commented.

 

“Right.” Jonghyun agreed. “In time, you two could really be lovers.”

 

“One level up. From being your best friend, he can be your boyfriend.” Jungshin said.

 

“Ya..ya..ya!” Seohyun stopped them. “Geumanhe guys... That will never happen.”

 

“And why not?” Minhyuk asked.

 

Seohyun sighed, “Yonghwa and I are best friends. That’s true. But you guys also know that we are poles apart. We’re the total opposite. And Yonghwa?" She then laughed, "Yonghwa can be so arrogant, irresponsible, and even so childish." She then raised her index finger in emphasis, "Plus! You all know how popular he is to girls, right? Well, we all know how he loves playing with them. So you see? We don't fit! Never!"

 

“But, you’ll never know, right? There’s still a chance...” Tiffany commented. 

 

Seohyun laughed, “No. Never ever! I mean, yes, Yonghwa and I are best friends and all that but, he’s the last guy I’ll ever date. We're good as best friends but not as lovers." She smirked, "He might probably be the worst boyfriend. So no.. it will never be the two of us."

 

Her friends just sighed and shrugged their shoulders after her monologue.

 

Not knowing that Yonghwa is already standing halfway the stairs going up, hearing every word Seohyun just uttered. 

 

“Oppa...my hand...it hurts.” Krystal muttered when Yonghwa was almost squeezing his sister’s hand tightly when they stopped on the stairs.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yonghwa said softly and composed himself, trying to face his friends casually after as they walked up to be with them. 

 

The day after that, Yonghwa introduced Kim Seojin to his friends, as his girlfriend even though he never courted her. And years went by, Yonghwa's hobby became going out with different girls all the time.

 

***

 

The lights on Seohyun’s room is still on, Yonghwa noticed as he stares. He knows he went overboard with what he told her. He is fully aware that he insulted her.

 

Twelfth grade. Yonghwa recalled. He will never forget the pain he felt after hearing what Seohyun told their friends inside that cafe on that particular rainy day. I will never be good enough for her, he thought. I will never be worthy of her.

 

Thinking back that rainy day on twelfth grade, it brings back what he felt; when he wrapped his arm around Seohyun’s shoulder, when they held hands for the first time, running under the rain.

 

Yonghwa chuckled bitterly, Right, he thought. Why would I think that Seohyun would feel the magic I felt when we were that close under the rain? Surely it was nothing for her. He told himself.

 

He starts the engine, still feeling anger. But at the same time, that anger is overpowered with guilt. He knows he shouldn’t have said thos insults to her. He never intended to hurt his best friend.

 

Yonghwa drives away from Seohyun’s house to go home, hoping that this night would pass and that Seohyun can still forgive her after what he said.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Seohyun opened the door when she heard a door bell. 

 

What Tiffany and Hyoyeon saw were eyes swelling, face so pale the moment the door was opened. They immediately hugged Seohyun. 

 

The three of them sat on Seohyun’s bed, no one talks for a while. Just the mere presence of her friends made Seohyun cry for some more after the fight she had with Yonghwa.

 

“I need to tell Jonghyun and Seungyeon how sorry I am that I ruined their engagement party.” Seohyun said, wiping her tears continuously.

 

Tiffany caressed her back while Hyoyeon gives her tissue to wipe her tears. 

 

“They will surely understand.” Tiffany said. 

 

“Did everybody gets home safely?” Seohyun asked, trying to sound casual. 

 

Hyoyeon sighed. “Aren’t you going to ask about Yonghwa specifically?” 

 

Then there was a silence again. 

 

“Seohyun-ah... We truly understand your side.” Hyoyeon continued. “Believe it or not, we understand you. But honestly, whether it's a deal or not, it really doesn't matter. I really think dating Choi Minho is good for you."

 

“The reason behin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter