Chapter 19

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 19

 

The wooden doors were widely opened. From afar, the flowers bloom outside and the petals are like in slow motion as they fall off the tree.

 

I took a deep breath before Jungshin noticed me. He grabbed my shoulder hard.

 

“Ya! Don’t be nervous.” Jungshin said with a slight push on my back.

 

“Ya!” I glared at him and took a deep breath.

 

Jungshin chuckled. Before he could even react back, I’ve heard Minhyuk starting to play the piano. My heart beats in an unimaginable way. I never thought I could feel this way. But then when I heard Jonghyun's voice as he sings, everything felt slow but right.

 

The kids walked first with their mothers. Then I saw Tiffany and Hyoyeon walking with smiles reaching their ears.

 

But the next two people who reached my view totally melted my heart.

 

They were angels.

 

Seohyun was clasping hands with Youngjae and both of them hold bouquets of colorful freesia.

 

Who would have though that a little girl would walk my beloved down the aisle?

 

Without my notice, a tear fell from my eye. And I know this would mark as the happiest minute of my life. The time where my precious Seohyun would walk down the aisle on a red carpet.

 

And the best thing about it is that she’s walking towards me.

 

Her smile was surreal. And when she was getting near me, I saw mist in her eyes.

 

Jungshin elbowed me before I realized that the girl of my dreams is already right actually in front of me.

 

“Appa...” Youngjae called me. She smiled and handed me the hand of Seohyun.

 

***

 

The cathedral is spacious but there are only two things on my mind... First, the little hand that’s holding mine and second, the man at the end of the aisle.

 

At 40, how could I still feel such feeling that I thought only teenagers could feel? The entire cathedral is filled with how I exactly imagined my wedding to be. The pews are decorated with blue and pink flowers, with tulle connecting them, the veil, the elegant gown I am wearing.

 

But what made this moment exactly just how I dreamed of it to be, is the man who is waiting for me at the end of the aisle. Yonghwa.

 

Jung Yonghwa, my best friend, my strength and weakness, my life, my all. I have loved him all this time and I will never stop being grateful that he is actually there at the end of the aisle, by the altar, waiting for me.

 

With all the thoughts rambling inside my mind, I felt Youngjae’s hand, tightening her grip on mine.

 

I looked at her. It took me to a realization that a little girl is actually walking me down the aisle on this very unforgettable event of my life.

 

Then I thought of my parents. I am pretty sure they sent Youngjae to our lives for this moment.

 

We stared for a moment at each other and her smile made me felt so relieved. Then I remembered my conversation with Minjung.

 

***

 

(Three months before the wedding.)

 

I felt Youngjae’s hand holding mine as she hops excitedly towards the park.

 

I have to admit that after a few rides, it was already me who’s enjoying it. I don’t know. I’ve been to amusement park with my friends' children, but this time, it felt different. I felt happier.

 

We were buying cotton candies when Youngjae suddenly turned to another direction.

 

“Omma!” She exclaimed.

 

I lost grip of her hand and followed her with my eyes. There, I saw a short-haired woman, wearing a big sunglasses. The woman took off her sunglass, now showing her pretty face.

 

Yonghwa was beside them, looking at Youngjae wrapping her arms tightly around the pretty woman.

 

When the woman’s eyes and mine met, she bade me the most genuine smile I could ever be offered. She slowly walks towards me, holding Youngjae's hand and Yonghwa following behind them.

 

“Hi.” She said.

 

“Hi.” I responded in a whisper.

 

But as seconds pass by, I can see her eyes getting watery. She was looking at me intently. Her eyes are scanning each part of my face and I don't know why.

 

“Seohyun...” She uttered under her breath.

 

I was looking at her, trying to understand the expression of her face when I nodded my head.

 

“You must be Minjung?” I asked.

 

She nodded her head until tears fall from her eyes that surprised me. Until slowly, she gets near me and embraced me tightly.

 

I was surprised and I didn’t know how to act. I held the cotton candies on my hands up, as I look at Yonghwa with confusion. He just nodded his head, like telling me that it's okay.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for acting this way.” She said when she broke the hug while wiping her tears. Then she turned to me again, "It's nice to finally meet you." Minjung said.

 

“Omma, why are you crying?” Youngjae interrupted and asked innocently, looking at her Omma worriedly.

 

“Nothing Youngjae-ah. Nothing. Omma is not crying.” She answered. Then she turned to me and smiled at me.

 

“Ya...I told you to stop watching dramas.” Yonghwa commented and Minjung slapped his arm.

 

I just chuckled while looking at them. They were really like siblings. The four of us had lunch together. It was fun. I've learned so many things about Minjung. She was just like Hyoyeon and Tiffany so it was not hard for me to adjust with her personality.

 

“Appa...can we go there?” Youngjae pointed the fair where there are stuff to be bought.

 

“Okay. We’ll just leave you two here. Wait for us, okay?” Yonghwa told us.

 

Minjung and I were left on the bench after eating. We both stayed silent. I guess we’re both looking at Yonghwa and Youngjae who were walking among the crowd.

 

“I really have no plans of coming here , actually.” Minjung broke the silence.

 

I turned to her. Her eyes are still on Yonghwa and Youngjae who are already meters away from us.

 

“But I really asked a favor from my husband and from my job to take a leave and be here.” She continued.

 

“You’re married?” I asked.


Minjung chuckled, “Do I look like I’m not?” She asked. “I am married and I have two kids who are older than Youngjae."

 

I just nodded.

 

She then looked at me as we both sit comfortably on the bench, facing each other. She took a deep breath before she continued, "I went here because I'm worried of Yonghwa. I'm worried if he could handle it."

 

“Handle what?”

 

“If he can handle his feelings when he sees you.” Minjung answered honestly.

 

There was mist in her eyes again. And I felt butterflies in my tummy when I heard it. I can feel the intense with Minjung's stare, like trying to  convey me something I could never understand.

 

“He lived for ten years in California, thinking that you’re married, Seohyun.” Minjung continued. “And my...if you only you knew how he struggled with that thought."

 

That pricked my heart in an instant.

 

“Do you know that I hated you?” Minjung suddenly blurted out. “I hated you because you’re the reason why Yonghwa has been in pain. He's a real brother to me and I hate seeing him missing you because he looks terrilbe when he does."

 

I gulped hearing these words.

 

“But you know what?” Minjung continued and looked straight into my eyes, “He became brighter and happy when he's with Youngjae."

 

I listened to Minjung. I feel like she really cares a lot for Yonghwa as her stepbrother.

 

“And I fully understand now why...”

 

“Why, what?” I asked.

***

Two years ago. (Minjung’s POV)

 

“Look...” I handed Yonghwa a big brown envelope.

 

“What’s this?” He asked in curiosity.

 

I smiled at my stepbrother who creased his eyebrows as he gets th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter