Chapter 1

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

Yonghwa lied on his bed with his stomach, peacefully sleeping while his alarm clock continues to ring but didn’t mind anyway.

 

Krystal was already pouting her lips when she checked the clock. It’s already 7:30 am. She angrily puts the bowl on the sink after eating her breakfast and immediately went upstairs, with heavy feet.

 

“Oppa! Yonghwa Oppa!” Krystal angrily knocked on Yonghwa’s door. “Wake up already! I have a dance recital today!” She screamed at the locked door. And still, there's no response. "Aaarghh!!" She raged in anger.

 

Krystal checks her watch, and indeed, she’s sure she’ll be late if her brother won’t wake up fifteen minutes more. She resorted to call the first person she knows who can help her.

 

The person answered on the third ring. 

 

“Unnie... I’m sorry I called up very early... Can you drive for me?” Krystal hesitantly asked, biting her fingernails. After a few seconds on the phone, she went downstairs immediately, hanging the phone up; still angry at her brother.

 

A few minutes later...

 

“Krys...” 

 

“Seohyun Unnie!” Krystal immediately hugged her.“Oh gosh! Thank goodness you’re here. I really need to go to my dance recital. I'm gonna be late. Good thing you're available."

 

Seohyun just bade her a smile after their hug. “No problem. But, I’m having my car washed. So let’s use his.” She asked.  

 

Krystal handed her Yonghwa’s car keys. “I’m really sorry Unnie. Sorry for bothering you again. You know I can’t drive. And I’ll be late if I take a bus. Sorry Unnie." Krystal apologized.

 

Seohyun chuckled, “It’s okay..”

 

“But, I bother you all the time...I’m causing too much trouble. You’ve been juggling work and appointments and here I am disturbing you again." Krystal said.

 

“Krys, what are you talking about?” Seohyun smiled. “This is not trouble. I’m always just a text away if you need me... You know that." Seohyun patted Krystal's head.

 

Krystal sighed heavily. “I wonder when will Yonghwa Oppa change.”

 

Seohyun just chuckled. “You know your brother...” And then rolled her eyes and just bade Krystal her most genuine smile. “And it's fine. We got even with him because we're using his car."

 

They both just chuckled.

 

When they arrived at the ballet center where Krystal’s recital is, Seohyun bid her goodbye and wished her luck for the dance. She drives again, opens the gate to park Yonghwa's car in his house.

 

Since the front door is locked already, Seohyun has no choice but to climb up the ladder she and her friends built on the way to Yonghwa's room. Each of them has that ladder on their way to their rooms. They built them during high school for sleepovers or just when they want to sneak in each other's houses easily.

 

After climbing the ladder, Seohyun opened the window with force, and yes, as usual, like what Krystal said, Yonghwa is still in bed. 

 

The room was a total mess. So many shirts, socks are on the floor. Yonghwa was still on his outdoor clothes. Surely he went clubbing again last night.

 

“Yonghwa!” She shakes Yonghwa’s body and forced him to wake up. “Yonghwa! Jung Yonghwa! Wake up!” She screamed directly on his ear.

 

“Mmmm...” Yonghwa mumbled while refusing to wake up as he covers his head with the blanket. 

 

Seohyun picks up the shirt, socks and all other stuff scattered on the floor. “Yonghwa, wake up!” She insisted while she cleans the room.

 

There was still no response. 

 

“Aish! Jung Yonghwa! Aren’t you really going to wake up?!” She screamed. 

 

“Why do you always have to be so noisy on mornings, Seohyun-ah?” Yonghwa muttered with sleepy voice, knowing it’s Seohyun who is waking him up. And still, he rolled on his bed, spreads his body freely to sleep for more.

 

Seohyun just sighed after folding the scattered shirts and placed them on the side table. She went downstairs to get a glass of water in the kitchen and looked for headache pills.

 

“Get up.” She said as she sits beside Yonghwa’s bed and uncovers his face.

 

“Wae???!!!” Yonghwa continued to resist. 

 

Seohyun placed the glass and medicine on the table. “I’m just here to inform you that I already sent Krystal to her dance recital.” 

 

Yonghwa abruptly opened his eyes and sat on the bed. “Aahhh!” He suddenly whined after feeling the terrible headache. 

 

Without any word, Seohyun handed him the glass of water and the headache pills. And he obediently took it. 

 

“Right... Her recital is today. I totally forgot it.” He said after gulping some water. 

 

Yonghwa and Krystal are siblings. Their parents divorced few years after they transferred to Seoul. Since then, their father was nowhere to be found while their mother lives in the States with her new husband. She still sends money for Krystal's school while Yonghwa takes care of the finances everyday.

 

“Make sure to apologize to your sister.” Seohyun simply said as she stood up. “I’m going.” 

 

He nodded. “Glad you’re my best friend, Seohyun-ah...” Yonghwa said while yawning and then lied again on his bed, going back to sleep. Seohyun just sighed when Yonghwa was idling again.

 

“Get up and get ready for work!” Seohyun nagged again. She pulled the blanket off of Yonghwa and grabbed his wrists to get up. "Your boss is surely gonna kill you this time."

 

“Ahrasseo!” Yonghwa whined while scratching his head. 

 

Seohyun folds the blanket and fixed Yonghwa’s bed when he went to the bathroom to take a shower. 

 

“Oh crap!” Seohyun worriedly exclaimed when she checks her watch. “Yonghwa!” She called out, knocking on the bathroom, “I’ll go ahead. I have an appointment at 8:30. I need to go now. See you later!"

 

“Okay!” 

 

Seohyun rushed out of the house after fixing Yonghwa’s room. 

 

***

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun have been best friends since they were eight years old. 

***

Twenty years ago.

 

Seohyun adjusts her red rimmed eyeglasses and focused more on the book she is reading. She’s too engrossed with the story until she heard a loud laughter from a bunch of kids on the monkey bars.

 

She used to sit on her favorite bench in this playground, to read books.

 

“Ya! New boy!” One big boy called out and took the camera toy, the thin boy was holding. “Who told you to play on that monkey bar? That's our territory!"

 

Seohyun noticed that these were the group of boys who bully others on their street. 

 

They laughed at the thin boy, playing around on the monkey bar.


”I’m sorry.” The thin boy said. “But this is a playground. Anybody can play on the monkey bar.” He said, trying to get back his camera toy from the big boy but he can't.

 

The other big boy smirked and suddenly pulled the thin boy with his collar, “Who told you to answer me like that? Huh? You're just new here and we can kick you out! Are you trying to be arrogant?!"

 

“No. I’m just trying to--”

 

“Shut up or I’ll--”

 

“Stop it!” Seohyun suddenly screamed. She glared at the bullies. “Put him down.” She commanded. 

 

“Oh...our little, nerdy, Seohyunnie is trying to be a heroine.” The big boy said sarcastically. “I think I should give the two of you a lesson instead."

 

He puts the thin boy down and was about to walk towards Seohyun. But suddenly, the thin boy managed to throw stone at the bully. When the big boy glared at Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter