Chapter 18

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18

 

A tear fell from Seohyun’s eye when she looks at me after I revealed that I am not Youngjae’s father. 

 

I wanted to hug her so bad. I wanted to embrace her and tell her how much I miss her. But I stupidly stood stiff and didn’t know what to do after telling her everything. Maybe we were both overwhelmed.

 

I am still in awe, thinking that she really never got married after all these years. And probably she is also very confused about Youngjae after my revelation. I don't know. We both don't know. But one thing's for sure:

 

We need to talk. 

 

Few days before Youngjae and I traveled from the States, I never thought of things to tell Seohyun. I actually do not have plans on tellling them that Youngjae is not my real daughter. Why? Because I knew there's no need to. But after finding out that Seohyun's not married, things become suddenly different. It felt as if we were back ten years ago, when our feelings have been revealed for the first time.

 

I took one step to approach Seohyun who is standing still, few meters away from me. But I suddenly stopped.

 

“Omma..Omma...” Youngjae suddenly mumbled while sleeping. 

 

Seohyun’s eyes also turned to Youngjae. I approached my daughter and calm her down. 

 

“Sshhh...Youngjae-ah..don’t worry. Appa is here.” I hugged her. 

 

Youngjae began to cry as she continuously calls her Omma. I carried her and then turned to Seohyun. “I’ll just take her upstairs.” I said.

 

Seohyun nodded her head. 

 

“Can you please wait for me?” I told her. 

 

It took her a few seconds to answer before she wipes her tears and nodded again which relieved me in an instant. 

 

When we reached my old room, I lay Youngjae on the bed but she refused to and just tightly wrapped her arms on my neck. I tried to calm her down while patting her back.

 

***

 

My mind is still blank from everything. I can’t believe that Yonghwa is finally back from the States. But everything became more confusing with Youngjae's presence and Yonghwa's revelation.

 

I sat on the couch silently. I can hear Youngjae’s voice, still crying from upstairs. She’s probably having a bad dream. 

 

I want to go up to check and try to calm her down. My tricks on my friends’ kids might probably work for her too. But I don’t think it's my right to intrude especially that I'm still a stranger to her.

 

My thoughts were interrupted by a phone ring. I looked around. It was Yonghwa’s phone that’s on the table that’s ringing. I waited for him to come down but he didn't. He probably couldn't hear the phone ring because of Youngjae's cries.

 

Then the ring stopped. Few seconds after that, it rang again. 

 

I was hesitant to look who’s calling but my curiosity won me over and saw a certain woman named ‘Minjung’ is calling. It’s a Korean name. Surely, it is her on the picture that appears on the screen as the phone continues to ring. It's a picture of her and Youngjae. 

 

I grabbed the phone and went upstairs. 

 

When I came to peek in the room, I saw Yonghwa still carrying Youngjae and patting her back to stop her from crying. I knocked on the opened door before I clear my throat.

 

“Your phone is ringing.” I said when Yonghwa looked my way. 

 

He immediately gets the phone from my hand and then answered it. 

 

“Hello?” I heard him say. “Youngjae stop crying anymore. Look, I’m talking to Omma now...she wants to talk to you..” He said. 

 

I felt prick inside my heart hearing it as I walk back downstairs and I can hear Yonghwa starts to talk to the other person on the line.

 

Omma. It’s Youngjae’s Omma that he’s talking to.

 

After a few minutes, I heard footsteps and then saw Yonghwa going down the stairs. 

 

“Sorry for waiting.” He said.  

 

I smiled slightly. 

 

He stood for a moment, hands in his pockets. Our eyes met and then it felt awkward again.  He clears his throat and wanders his eyes around the house.

 

“Uhm... Do you like some tea?” He asked. 

 

“Sure.” I answered softly. 

***

 

We were never like this. Seohyun and I were best friends. But I guess ten years of disappearance from each other’s lives makes us this awkward.

 

I stole glances at her as she sits on the couch while I stir the teaspoon aimlessly on the cups of tea. I’m thinking of the right words to say. I don't even know how to begin. I don't even know what to tell her.

 

When I sat beside her on the couch and handed her the cup of tea, all memories on the lakeside ten years ago came to mind as we continued to be silent.

 

“So...is Youngjae okay now?” Seohyun broke the silence. 

 

I turned to her, “Yes.” I said with a nod after sipping some tea.

 

“Maybe she just really needs to talk to her Omma to calm her down.” Seohyun commented. 

 

I smiled, “Minjung is way better than me in putting her to sleep.” I said with a chuckle. “It takes her minutes while I take an hour before I can stop Youngjae from her tantrums during sleep."

 

Seohyun smiled a little. She clears her throat, “So... How long have you been together?” 

 

“Ne?” 

 

“You and Minjung...how long have you been together?” Seohyun reiterated the question. 

 

***

 

I would have to admit that I still felt pain knowing that Yonghwa is talking to Youngjae’s Omma. And the way he talks about her, putting Youngjae to sleep, is making my heart squeezed inside.

 

He said he’s not married. But obviously, he has a connection with Youngjae’s Omma which I presumed, they are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter