Chapter 13

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13

 

The ceilings were decorated with hanging crystals, with white Japanese lanterns beside them and strands surrounding with white azaleas. Every pew is decorated with a heart-shaped blue and white roses. The aisle was also filled with petals.

 

She was wearing a long, princess-cut bridal gown; with accents of silver beads and sequences. The pearly white veil on her hair almost fills up the entire pathway as she walks slowly. Her hair that reaches her shoulder, wavy and soft was glowing beautifully.

 

But it was not the ambiance, it was not her princess-like gown, it was not her cloudy-white veil or even the fragrance of the flowers around. It was her.

 

Just her. 

 

Everything else is beautiful because it was her. It was her wearing that angel-like gown; it was her wearing an ethereal veil, holding a perfectly bloomed set of flowers; it was her walking on the aisle.

 

The only woman who can make him laugh like it’s his last day on earth. The only woman that could say the right words and make him feel he's on cloud nine. The only woman who can hurt him like hell. The woman he's not worth having of.

 

His best friend. 

 

The only girl he tried not to fall in love with. 

 

Not because he can’t; not because he doesn’t want to; but because he shouldn’t. 

 

Why? 

 

Because it is her. 

 

Seo Joohyun. 

 

***

 

“Awwww!!!” Yonghwa creaked in pain after feeling a hit on his head with a baseball cap. “YA!” He turned and glared at Jungshin who threw it.

 

“That’s what you get! What are you doing there standing like a monument? Come on. Let’s go!” Jungshin said, not even sorry for what he did as he gets in the car.

 

Yonghwa was standing by the door of a big cathedral church when the other boys stopped over a convenience store to buy snacks. 

 

He was still palming his head as he picked up the cap that fell on the floor. 

 

They were on a van, going on trip. 

 

“What were you doing there?” Jonghyun asked as he maneuvered the steering wheel. 

 

“Ne?” Yonghwa turned to him when he got in the car and then looked outside the window again, “Nothing. I just...I just want to take a look inside the church."

 

One month to go, Seohyun is married, he thought. 

 

And his imagination while standing by the big door of the cathedral church a while ago, gives him a prick inside his heart. 

 

How he wished he’s the man waiting for her at the altar.

 

The last time he saw her was when they talked in the oval and cried their hearts out. 

 

When Seohyun told him that they should stop loving each other, he resorted to the last choice and that’s to disappear from her life.

 

No text, no calls; he didn’t go on Friday gatherings for months, no visits and he even took away the ladder going to his room.

 

It was the hardest. 

 

He felt like he was newly born and he can’t do anything after that day in the ova. He was like groping with his new life; finding who he is every single day.

 

“Where are you, Yonghwa?”

“We miss you so much and we haven’t seen you for so long.”

“Yong, you missed so many of our hang outs already.”

“Why do you have to be distant to us as well?”

“Are you okay? You’re not answering our calls anymore.”

 

Yonghwa’s friends tried to reach to him after what happened. But he thought that the only way he can go on is to also be distant to his other friends. Or else, he doesn't know if he can control himself.

 

Maybe. Just maybe, they can go back to how it was used to be.

 

After six months of not showing himself to everybody, he thought he might be ready to be with the boys when Jonghyun told him about this trip.

 

The ride was smooth, he was at the backseat beside Minhyuk and his girlfriend, Eunji who are arguing about random stuff. Jonghyun was driving, Seungyeon, his fiancee was sitting on the passenger seat. The ones at the back were couple, Jungshin and Juniel who are both sleeping.

 

Yes. They’re all with their sweethearts except Yonghwa who doesn’t have one. 

 

Minhyuk sighed after giving up on arguing with Eunji and just let her continue to watch movie on her table.

 

“Yong...enjoy this trip.” Minhyuk asked him. “It seems like you exhausted yourself too much on work these past few months. Besides, you haven't been with us for so long.”

 

Yonghwa chuckled a little. “I will. I’m sure I’m going to enjoy it.” He lied. 

 

He didn’t know when was the last time he enjoyed. He’s not even sure if he still knows what enjoying means.

 

It was a pretty long drive. 

 

An hour more after that, they finally arrived to a luxurious resort. Summer is about to end and it’s been a while since they’ve gone to a beach resort.

 

It was a little secluded area away from Seoul but the distance was bearable. The scenery is perfect and it was the best place to relax. 

 

“Tiffany texted that they’re already here.” Minhyuk said when they were taking out their backpacks and stuff out of the car’s compartment.

 

“Tiffany’s here also?” Yonghwa asked. He thought it’s only going to be the boys and their girlfriends.

 

No one answered his question.

 

Each of them took their things, of course the boys helped their girlfriends and Yonghwa and Jungshin were the last ones to get their stuff.

 

“They’re here!” Minhyuk turned to the boys as he pointed out to a cottage, since he was walking ahead of them. Tiffany and Nichkhun were waving their hands on them.

 

Jungshin suddenly placed a baseball cap on Yonghwa’s head. 

 

“Sorry I hit you a while ago Yong.” Jungshin said with a laugh. 

 

Yonghwa punched him playfully and fixed the cap on his head as he walks towards the entrance of the resort.

 

Jungshin ran a little to reach Yonghwa as he wrapped his arm around Yonghwa’s neck. “Did I hit you hard? Did it hurt?” He continues to joke.

 

But Yonghwa didn’t respond. As his eyes were fixed on the view, few meters from where he is standing. 

 

It was a reflex that his feet suddenly stopped from walking further.

 

She’s there. 

 

She was with a yellow shirt, paired with white shorts. Her hair was tied in a bun with few strands that land perfectly on the side of her face. She was laughing. She looks happy.

 

“Ya! Did I hurt you, Yong?” Jungshin continued, playing the cap that is on Yonghwa’s head. 

 

He smirked sadly. “Is there anything that would hurt me more than what I am seeing right now?” He replied.

 

Jungshin followed Yonghwa’s gaze and saw what he meant. 

 

Seohyun was laughing as she listens to Minho talking. Their hands were interlocked as they walk along the seashore. 

 

He wanted to ask Jungshin or any of the boys if they planned this surprise reunion because he really thought this trip is just with the boys.

 

He didn’t expect to see her today; Much more to see her with Minho.

 

Before Jungshin could react, he turned to Yonghwa who already walks away.

 

***

 

“Yonghwa! Yonghwa!”

 

He can clearly hear Jungshin’s voice, knocking on the door and trying to call him. 

 

Yonghwa was lying on bed silently, staring at the ceiling aimlessly. He doesn’t want to get out of the room. If he has his way, he would just lock himself inside the room.

 

The image he saw a while ago was just too painful to bear. 

 

“Yonghwa! Lunch is ready! Come on! Everyone’s waiting for you!” Jungshin called out and continues to knock. 

 

Yonghwa took a deep breath. “Ahrasseo. I’m coming.” He said.

 

He walked slowly out of the lobby and saw all his friends gathering inside the cottage by the seashore. His eyes were fixed on her.

 

She looks really happy. And he should do his best to look like he’s also happy for her. His footsteps toward the cottage were heavy.

 

“Hi...” It was Seohyun who greeted first. 

 

Yonghwa tried his best to smile at her after her casual greeting. “Hi...” He replied. 

 

Yes she’s okay. Yonghwa thought. She definitely forgot everything and is not affected by it anymore.

 

Hyoyeon clears her throat. “So, let’s start to eat!” She said happily.

 

It was obvious that their friends are trying to avoid any awkwardness by talking continuously.

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter