Chapter 10

That One Thing That You Don't Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10

 

“Hello Hyo?” Yonghwa answered his phone while driving after his last photo shoot. He checks his watch and it’s almost 5:00 in the afternoon. "Yes...I'm on my way.. Alright..." He said then hang the phone up.

 

When he arrives at the restaurant, he immediately went inside Hyoyeon’s office. 

 

“I’m here!” He said while knocking as well. 

 

“Oh, come in. Just wait for at least one more hour. My chef is preparing the last dish. It’s going to take a little longer.” Hyoyeon said. 

 

“Can I go to the kitchen?” Yonghwa asked. 

 

“Why?” 

 

“I want to help.” 

 

Hyoyeon frowned and followed Yonghwa who is already out of her sight and is on his way inside the kitchen. 

 

Yonghwa immediately folds up the sleeves of his polo and wore an apron just like every body else who’s inside the kitchen. 

 

“Yong, what are you doing?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

Yonghwa smiled, “I just want to help Hyo. Besides, it’s me who requested to make all these dishes.”

 

“But my chef can do that. Come on. Let’s get out of here.” 

 

Yonghwa walked towards Hyoyeon and held her shoulders to calm her down, “Hyoyeon, I want to do this. I want to make at least one dish. Don't worry. I'll ask your chef for help."

 

He requested Hyoyeon for all the dishes Seohyun loves to eat; chili crab meat, beef medallion with mushroom, carbonara, Korean beef stew and her favorite sweet potato cake.

 

For the past few days, he’s been thinking about what the boys told him. And he decided to give it a try; to give his feelings a try. That maybe all this time, he has been treating Seohyun more than a best friend and all he needs to do is to admit it to her. 

 

Hyoyeon gave up with a sigh. “Fine. Just be careful, okay? You don’t know anything about cooking, Yong. So be careful.” She warned him with concern.

 

The dishes were well-presented and all he has to do is to go to Seohyun’s apartment and wait for her. 

 

After weeks and weeks of not hanging out, Seohyun finally had a free time tonight. So Yonghwa decided to have all the dishes she wants, that they eat them together, and watch a movie in her apartment which is their favorite past-time. And after that, he plans on telling everything to her.

 

And as Hyoyeon said, it already took another one more hour for everything to finished. Yonghwa thanked Hyoyeon and brought all the food inside his car.

 

He knows Seohyun is still not home because her last appointment ends at 8:00 p.m. As always, he barges inside Seohyun’s empty apartment like all of them do to one another. He then, prepares the table and food.

 

He decided to take a shower and freshen up since he still has time. 

 

After a warm shower, he gets a pair of jeans and a red checkered polo inside his bag. He chuckles at himself, remembering something while looking at the polo.

 

***

 

Five years ago. 

 

Seohyun hurriedly ran out of her classroom after her Zoology class. She immediately went to the Fine Arts building. 

 

Passing by some crowd of students on the hallway, she finally arrived outside Yonghwa’s room. She peeked on the little glass on the door and saw him listening to his professor before he turned his head towards the door.

 

Seohyun waved at him happily when their eyes met and signaled him that she’ll wait outside. 

 

After Yonghwa’s class, he felt a tight hug once he got out of the room. 

 

“Happy birthday Yonghwa!!!” Seohyun greeted her. 

 

“Ouch!” Yonghwa whined before Seohyun released him. “Thanks. Where’s my gift?” He immediately said. 

 

Seohyun smiled at him but hides something sneakily. 

 

“Jjajan!” She held up a wrapped paper bag. 

 

“Shall I open it?” 

Seohyun nodded excitedly. Yonghwa’s grin reaches his ears when he was opening the paper bag but it slowly fades when he finally saw what's inside.

 

Yonghwa frowned seeing a red and black checkered polo. He was speechless as he pulls out the polo out of the paper bag, with eyebrows creasing as he stares at it.

 

“Don’t you like it?” Seohyun asked. 

 

Yonghwa chuckled, “Hyun, you know I don’t wear these kinds of clothes.” He said while chuckling. 

 

“But it’s cute!” Seohyun insisted and grabs the polo to try it on Yonghwa but he avoided it immediately as so many people are passing by. "See? It suits you well." Seohyun enthusiastically commented.

 

“Hyun!” He whined. 

 

“Come on! Just try it. I used up all my money just to buy this.” 

 

Yonghwa sighed and was really hesitant. “Thanks but...I think.. It’s too..too..”

 

“Aish, Jung Yonghwa! Come on, you try it.” Seohyun grabs Yonghwa’s wrist and pulls him towards the men’s bathroom. “Go, you change and I'll wait for you here. Just try it."

 

“Seriously? Here? Inside the campus? You’ve got to be kidding Seohyun-ah...” Yonghwa firmly disagrees. 

 

They were like a mother and son arguing on the hallway. Seohyun keeps pushing him and he was pulling himself back. But in the end, Seohyun won and made him try on the polo.

 

Yonghwa was covering himself with his bag when he went out of the bathroom with the polo on. 

 

“Don’t cover it. Come on. Show me.” Seohyun was taking his bag forcefully out of his chest. “See?” Seohyun said excitedly when he took off the bag. "It suits you well!"

 

“Fine. Happy now? I’ll change back again.” He said, hurriedly wanting to go back inside the bathroom. 

 

“No wait.” Seohyun pulls him back. “Let me take a picture first.” She said and then chuckled while she asks Yonghwa to take different poses while wearing the polo.

 

Seohyun was laughing endlessly when Yonghwa went out of the bathroom once again, back on his first shirt. She knows Yonghwa didn't like it. She knows it's not his fashion taste. And she purposely bought it to annoy him and make fun of him. But after that when they were walking home, Seohyun gave her real gift which was a new lens for Yonghwa's camera.

 

***

 

Looking at the polo, he laughed silently and recalled how he whined during that day because of the flushy polo. That was the only time he wore it and he even deleted the pictures of Seohyun's phone with him wearing it.

 

But tonight, he decided to wear it because he knows it will make Seohyun happy. 

 

After freshening up, he went back to the dining table and made sure he arranged everything properly. 

 

He sits on the couch and relaxes himself watching TV while waiting for Seohyun. After a while, the clock says it’s already 8:30 p.m. She should be home by then but her phone is just ringing when he tries to call her.

 

He stares back and forth his phone and out of the window to look outside but there’s still no trace of her. 

 

One hour. Two hours. Three hours have passed and she’s not yet home. 

 

Yonghwa texted all his friends to call Seohyun but they all said she’s not answering. He starts to get worried. He doesn’t know where she is. He sat restlessly on the couch. Going to and fro the window to check if she finally arrived.

 

A few minutes before the clock strikes 12 midnight, he heard a car engine right outside her apartment. Yonghwa jolted from the couch and immediately looked at the window. He saw a black Camry.

 

Choi Minho went out first and opened the door for Seohyun. They were still laughing. But everything froze when they kissed. 

 

Yonghwa turned back immediately, not wanting to see what’s happening and everything around him felt like it was so dim that he can't even move.

 

He doesn’t want to ask where they went. He doesn’t want to know anything. He doesn’t even have the energy to talk to her after what he saw.

 

Yonghwa slowly went back to the couch and lied on it. He suddenly lost strength that lying down was the next best thing to do. He covers his face with a pillow, right in time when Seohyun opened the door with a click.

 

“Oh...” Seohyun mumbled with a surprise as she saw Yonghwa lying on the couch. 

 

Yonghwa can hear Seohyun’s light footsteps. Knowing she thought he was already asleep. He knows Seohyun went to the dining to check the food on the table and he heard her keeping it on the fridge.

 

Seohyun approached Yonghwa and sat beside him, on a little space not occupied by his body

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter