Chapter 9: Secrets & Sleep

Battle Zblings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where is she” Byunghee shouted at Hyeri who kept her eyes on his. The shouting didn’t cause her to panic. There was nothing he could do to make her say anything.

“How should I know?” She crossed her arms and leaned back in the chair. “She left on the bus you provided and I’m responsible.” Hyeri scoffed. “All we did was trade hair color and everyone was fooled. Maybe you should start investing in better help.”

Byunghee slammed his fists into his desk. “This isn’t a joke Cha Hyeri! We need your sister to come back and be part of this new team. We already promised the government we would use their money wisely on retraining those who are still able to resist the virus.”

“I can still be useful.” Hyeri sat up now gaining her voice in front of him. “I may not be able to resist the virus like my sister but I am still a good fighter. I am an expert with the katana.”

“You mean the one Hyuna took with her?”

Hyeri became silent for a moment. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to go as far as switching weapons with Hyuna. “I’m sure you can get me another one president.” She gave him a sheepish grin. “The point is I can continue fighting like normal. Not once have I been bitten before. My sister on the other hand has been bitten countless times in efforts to not kill the zombies… Who do you think makes a better candidate?”

Byunghee shook his head, “None of that matters Hyeri. Hyuna is able to withstand the virus thanks to the Battle serum that was injected into her body years ago. After becoming a positive host she became government property. The association won’t be able to get away with loosing merchandise.”

“They won’t know the difference.” Hyeri grabbed at her now chocolate brown hair. “With my hair like this it took a week for anyone to notice I wasn’t Hyuna. The government won’t know either” she tried to convince the president that she could continue being part of the association.

“But they will find out when you are bitten and turned into a zombie.”

“If I am ever bitten then you have my consent to find my sister and bring her back. You all like secrets and this can be your secret from them.” With that last statement Hyeri could tell the president was being persuaded. “I’m sure the government has many secrets they aren’t telling you. Why not get back at them by keeping this from them?”

Byunghee nodded, “alright then but if anyone else finds out… we never spoke of this.”

Hyeri pretended to zip her lips. “My lips are sealed.”

***

Hyuna ran as fast as she could with a twenty pound backpack on her back. She couldn’t tumble and flip around to gain speed and height. There were delicate things inside her backpack that could break. “Cheondong hurry up” she shouted over her shoulder.

Thunder had an even heavier loud on his shoulders and was never really at the same speed with Hyuna to begin with. “Don’t worry about me…” he dodged a hanging wire from a telephone pole. There could still be electricity around this area and would result in an electric shock “…worry about yourself.”

Hyuna stopped running when she got to a now very familiar fence. She quickly jumped as high as she could, cutting her climbing time in half. When she jumped to safety on the other side she took off the backpack and watched as Cheondong tried to outrun the zombies.

Even with him being far away Hyuna could tell Thunder’s stamina was low and his speed was decreasing. “He’s not going to make it” she took the katana out of its holster and sighed. She had never used such a long knife. That’s all it was in her mind. She was used to throwing small knives and playing around with a butterfly knife that danced in her hands.

She climbed back over the fence and ran to Thunder. She began swinging the katana not really in a specific manner or form.

“What are you doing” Thunder asked as he saw her taking out the zombies that had been following him.

“Just get over the fence” she commanded him.

Thunder reluctantly listened and did what she told him. He knew Hyuna was fast and would get over the fence quickly. Once he was on the other side safely he shouted out to her. “I’m here!”

Hyuna instantly ran back and climbed the fence. When her feet hit the ground Thunder pulled the switch turning on the power to the electric fence they had just climbed over. They used it not only to keep the zombies out but also the people who had turned to robbery and crime from the zombie incident.  The fence formed a perimeter around a lonely house that used to belong to Thunder and Dara’s family. That is where he had taken Hyuna after deciding they would stay there and live together like a family of their own.

Once Hyuna had caught her breath she looked at Thunder with worry. “Are you hurt” she began lifting his arms to check for bites or scratches. 

“I’m fine Hyuna” he shoved her hands off of his face. “Why did you go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter