Three Turns To Four

Why Three Is Better Than Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jin had believed that pregnancy was the most beautiful moment of his life. Right now, sitting on the couch with his feet propped up on an ottoman (like the diva he is) with a tiny baby snuggled into his chest, and a usually rambunctious ten-year-old curled into his side both sound asleep; it occurs to him that this is the most beautiful moment of his life. His heart feels full with contentment and happiness. He, Kim Seokjin, is the owner of three of the most beautiful creatures in the world: Jungkook, Yoongi, and Namjoon.

 

Yoongi moves slightly in his sleep and pushes himself further into Jin, the child is nuzzled quite comfortably under his father’s arm with one arm slung across Jungkook’s tiny legs. Jin giggles softly, Yoongi’s movements causing a slight tickling sensation to run through him. He readjusts the youngster under his arm, afraid that the child’s position will hurt his neck, but his efforts prove to be in vain when Yoongi falls back into his previous position with a contented sigh.

 

Jin swipes sweat-drenched hair from Yoongi’s forehead, the child is like a furnace when he sleeps, a trait it seems both he and Jungkook had received from Namjoon (the best non-electric electric blanket Jin’s ever owned). He leans over and kisses the youngster on the top of his head and smiles, remembering how he ended up as a dad sandwich.

 

 

******

“Appa where you going? Is Jungkook okay? Can I carry him?” Yoongi rapid-fires questions at him like a machine gun with unlimited bullets. The child is home sick from school having caught a cold, or a bug of some kind.

 

“Jungkook is fine. No, appa will hold him and I’m going to give Jungkook a bath. The right way,” he adds the last statement as a reminder to Yoongi. A few days prior, the little boy had nearly given both him and Namjoon a heart attack when they sent him to have a shower and Jin walked into the bathroom just in time to see Yoongi climbing into the bath tub with Jungkook in his arms, cooing happily, oblivious to his near demise.

 

“Sorry appa,” Yoongi is still apologetic for his actions.

 

“It’s okay, appa knows you were just trying to be a good big brother.”

 

Ever since they brought baby Jungkook home, Kookie for short, some twelve weeks ago (three months, wow) Yoongi has not left the child’s side. Having appointed himself Jungkook’s big brother bodyguard (Yoongi came up with the title on his own) and save for the shower incident, the youngster has done an outstanding job. If there were an award for most attentive older brother, Yoongi would leave the competition in the dust.  Namjoon and Jin have been allowed to sleep straight through the night on more than one occasion only to walk into Jungkook’s room in the morning and find Yoongi asleep on the floor beside baby’s crib with a bottle of half drunk milk clutched tightly in his tiny hands.

 

Today the boy is no less clingy. He reminds Jin of a mama bird who is worried about her chicks.

 

“Can I help?” Yoongi is standing on a step stool, next to Jin in front of the kitchen sink, “How come we bathe him in the kitchen? Are we gonna cook him?” A hint of worry colors the youngsters voice and his eyes are wide.

 

Jin laughs, “Of course not, silly. It’s just a little easier to manage him here. The sink is smaller than the tub, but bigger than the basin in the bathroom. See how well he fits in here? Appa is just making sure we are taking good care of Kookie.”

 

The baby begins splashing the water and squealing with delight as though confirming Jin’s statement.

 

Yoongi’s mouth forms an O and he nods his head in understanding.

 

With the bath finished and Jungkook dressed (in a bunny costume at Yoongi’s pleading), the trio walks back to the kitchen.

 

“What are we gonna do now appa, are we gonna eat? Can I feed Jungkook? Please, please, please? Can we make spaghetti?” Yoongi’s tiny hands rub together with perfected puppy dog begging eyes focused on Jin.

 

How can he say no?

 

He can’t.

 

“Yes, but you have to follow my directions, okay?”

 

“Yes!” Yoongi fist pumps and nearly trips when he steps on his feet during his victory dance.

 

“Be careful,” Jin says with a smile as he uses his free hand to steady the youngster, Jungkook giggles loudly, dark eyes intensely watching Yoongi’s every move.

 

“He laughed at me appa!” Yoongi says almost too loudly in his excitement.

 

“I see,” Jin smiles and ruffles the boy’s already messy hair.

 

“I think he likes me best,” Yoongi muses to himself and Jin can’t quite hide the laugh.

 

“I think you may be right, but who could blame him? You’re the best older brother in the world.” Jin’s heart nearly explodes when Yoongi’s signature gummy smile covers the child’s entire face.

 

Jin knows he couldn’t explain the sensation of parenthood if he were asked. There are no words (at least, none he knows) that adequately describe the feeling one gets when your child smiles at you, or hugs you, or just wants

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter