Ghosts

Forever is a long way to go

A cold wind blew in the trees, rustling the green leaves of spring in an eerie tension as the moon shone proudly from the dark sky. It was in the middle of the night, the sun had set and it seemed unusually dark as the approaching summer was just around the corner, making the pitch black nights rarer and rarer by the day.

 

Yoseob listened carefully to the sounds of the wind, words whispering to him in whistles outside the window. It was silent in the dorm, only small breaths of air came from the sleeping forms in the small and cramped space, shuffling sounds whenever someone turned in his sleep and the distant sound of the ventilation system could be heard from the living room.

 

But Yoseob listened, carefully tuning in on every sound that reached his ear even though he would much rather turn around and go back to sleep. But the thought of turning his back to the door of the small room felt too uncomfortable and honestly, Yoseob was scared. He couldn’t turn his back to the door and kept staring at it instead, now and then picking up weird sounds he didn’t want to think much about.

 

Junhyung mumbled something in his bed across the floor while turning on his side, causing Yoseob’s own heart to jump in fear and a wave of goosebumps flew over his skin. “.” he cursed, glancing at the door as if fearing someones, or rather somethings, entrance.

 

“Hyung?” he called out, surrendering to his fears and giving up the hope of sleep. He couldn’t take this anymore. “Hyung?” he called again, a little louder this time, a little more desperate. When no reply came, he kicked the bed above him with the heel of his foot and continued to call for the person to wake up.

 

He wasn’t even sure what he’d do when the said person did wake up but continued nonetheless until a hoarse groan erupted from the latter and a faint “What?”.

 

“Waah!! Dammit, hyung! Don’t scare me like that!” Yoseob suddenly exclaimed when Hyunseung’s head appeared without warning, hanging upside down from the top bed bunk and hair sticking out in every direction, creating a silhouette in the dark that made Yoseob jump up in his bed in surprise. It was like a damn scary movie for gods sake.

 

“Sorry, man.” Hyunseung mumbled, too tired to really comprehend what was happening at the moment. “Why did you call me?”

 

“I-I can’t sleep.” Yoseob explained, a cute aegyo pout on his lips even though Hyunseung couldn’t see it in the dark. “Can I join you?” he asked, hoping to get away from the floor as soon as possible. He was seriously starting to get worked up and caused himself to be even more scared than before, being on higher ground seemed safer and maybe he could get some sleep there, away from the door.

 

“Sure.” Hyunseung immediately replied and retreated from his hanging position. Yoseob hurried out from his bed before he could start to think about it and lose the courage to abandon his safety under the warm covers.

 

“Why can’t you sleep, Yoseob-ah?” Hyunseung asked once they were both comfortable on the bed, or as comfortable as they could be considering Yoseob apparently forgot to bring his cushion.

 

“I kept hearing weird noises.” Yoseob explained, snuggling closer as a new wave of fear hit him upon thinking about it again. “I kept hearing this knocking sound out in the hall and I just couldn’t sleep.”

 

“Seriously?!” Hyunseung widened his eyes at the younger member, suddenly clutching the blankets tighter as he glanced towards the door his back was facing. “Are you sure?” he asked, voice trembling a little.

 

“Let’s just sleep, hyung.” Yoseob stated, his own voice unsteady as he hid himself under the blankets, feeling safer with the company of another member in his presence.

 

“D-deh…” Hyunseung responded dazily, turning back to face Yoseob’s buried body but kept a listening ear in that direction. Was it a faint knock he was hearing? “You’re right hyung, let’s just sleep. We need to get up early tomorrow and we don’t want Junhyung to nag too much.” Hyunseung laughed halfheartedly, a sudden shiver running down his spine and giving him goosebumps all over his arms and neck.

 

“Good night.” Yoseob’s voice resounded from under the thick layer of fabric and felt somewhat comforting to a growingly anxious Hyunseung.

 

With difficulty, the two eventually fell asleep under the protective duvets, the both of them completely burying themselves to keep the demons from scratching at their bodies. Like the blanket was a shield where no hands could reach, the door a barrier where no monster could enter.

 

***

 

The following day was filled with continuous and endless jokes making the members crack up again and again, never failing to make the members laugh even during the quiet stressful day. The topic being Hyunseung and Yoseob, huddling under the blankets like scaredy cats. Of course, they were bullied for the rest of the day, who would have thought otherwise.

 

Yoseob had honestly been scared and kept defending himself for the whole day, pouting and speaking in a cute aegyo way to get some sympathy from the members. But Doojoon were merciless and the joke went on forever, all the members finding the perfect opportunities to successfully bring the subject up once again. Hyunseung was bullied too, after accidentally spluttering out he had felt goose bumps in his neck and his hair stood at end. That was his doom.

 

But the subject managed to paint small smiles on everyones faces even in the calm before the storm of the next joke and that was enough for both Yoseob and Hyunseung to let it slide. They were after all pretty used to being pestered by their fellow members in the group, everyone got teased, even the leader himself whenever they got the chance.

 

When they went to bed that evening however, there was a small tension in the air and suddenly the jokes weren’t that funny anymore. Kikwang cracked a final ghost joke that was probably enough to keep the poor Yoseob up another night, while he himself snored as soon as he hit the cushions.

 

Doojoon turned in his own bed, frustrated at the lack of sleep after already twenty minutes in bed and the constant snoring sound that erupted from Hyunseung’s bed wasn’t helping him either, at all. “God, why must you snore today of all days?” he grumbled under the covers, he was exhausted and usually fell asleep within five minutes or less, causing the situation he was in to be even more frustrating.

 

The first time a faint knock was heard on the wall beside him, Doojoon wasn’t sure if he had heard right and chose to stay buried under the covers, drowning out the sound coming from across the room of a certain bed. But the wall was close to his ear and the next knock was hard for even him to ignore, a slight shiver ran through his body and instantly he shook his head in disbelief. “It’s probably Dongwoon playing pranks again.” he mumbled to himself, refusing his mind to wander off to much more dangerous thoughts, scary even.

 

The silence that followed, apart from the snores, had an eerie feeling to it as Doojoon waited for the third knock. Holding his breath, he prayed for it to be the end so he could go back to sleep with a peace of mind.

 

But apparently the world was having nothing of that and the third knock resounded through the wall. “knock knock...knock knock.” Doojoon hissed slightly and opened his eyes. “You have got to be kidding me.” he said with a little anger in his voice while staring at the wall, covers drawn away from his head this time as he slowly adapted to the dark.

 

Seeing somewhat clearly in front of him, Doojoon decided to climb out of bed and grab whoever dared to pull a prank on him by the collar. He needed to teach him a lesson for sure if he thought he could mess with the leader. Building up his courage and determination, he slowly tip toed out of the room, cursing at the door when it made a very appropriate horror movie squeak and made a very nice shiver run down his spine.

 

He looked in every direction from the door frame before deciding to walk to where he had heard the knocking sound. A floorboard creaked from under his weight and Doojoon cursed another time, this time directing his anger towards the damn floor who succeeded in giving him the chills. From the seemingly empty and silent living room, Doojoon could hear the wind blowing from outside the window, whistling it’s way through the trees and buildings.

 

Doojoon shivered. What was he doing anyways, he thought as he carefully looked among the dirty corners of the living room in search for someone possibly hiding in it. Half expecting a hidden camera or at least someone to jump out and scare the out of him only to tell him it had all been a joke all along.

 

When no one was found, the dorm looking mockingly quiet in Doojoon’s eyes, a stinge of fear penetrated his chest upon the thought of the previous knocks. They had been loud and clear, no doubt about it, and he was pretty sure that he hadn’t been imagining it.

 

Tired but suddenly quiet wide awake, Doojoon gulped down his dry throat and started for the shared bedroom again. Not bothering to go check on Dongwoon or Kikwang sleeping in a separate room in fear of spending one more second out in the eerie living room.

 

“knock knock…”

 

Doojoon froze, one hand on the door and ready to open it but the familiar sound made him freeze.

 

“...knock knock.”

 

With a gasp, Doojoon practically swung open the door in panic and rushed inside the room, making sure to close the door tightly behind him. “.” he cursed, not bothering to look behind him as he dived under the blankets of Junhyung’s bed, positioned underneath his own. He didn’t feel like going back to sleeping right next to the knocking sounds and having company felt like a much better option.

 

Junhyung stirred a little in his sleep upon another presence behind him and groaned, running a hand over his face before squinting into the dark to find dark hair sticking out from underneath the covers.

 

“Doojoon-ah? Is that you?” Junhyung asked, voice laced with sleep as he blinked several times to not fall right back to sleep.

 

“Just go back to sleep, Junnie.” Doojoon sneaked out an arm from under the blanket and forcefully pushed down the others head into the cushion to go back to sleep. The younger complied without restraint and closed his eyes once again.

 

“Could you move in a bit, though?” Doojoon peeked up his head and Junhyung craned his neck to look at the other in question. “I’m about to end up on the floor right now.”

 

Junhyung chuckled but followed the request and scooted closer to the wall, Doojoon following closely behind and making himself comfortable on the mattress, one hand lazily slung over the others stomach and warm breath in between the boys shoulder blades.

 

“Why are you hiding under the blankets, by the way?” Junhyung asked, a little more awake this time.

 

“I’m not hiding.” Doojoon mumbled into the fabric of Junhyung’s shirt and scooted a little closer, just a tiny little bit.

 

“Yes, you are.” Junhyung smiled, loving to tease the otherwise seemingly strong leader. “Were you...perhaps...scared?” he suddenly asked and laughed lightly. “Is that why you wanted to sleep here?” he teased even more, earning a groan from the leader who buried his hair into the warmth of Junhyung’s back.

 

“Shut up and go back to sleep.” he ordered grumpily, embarrassed by himself and the way he had been acting out in the living room earlier, acting like a spy on a mission only to run for the hills in panic a few minutes later.

 

“Tsk.” Junhyung clicked his tongue, smiling broadly now. “So you were scared.” he continued. “Was it a ghost? Oooohhh~ The almighty leader was haunted.” he said in a teasing horror movie voice, adding some effect with his arms that Doojoon didn’t see from his hiding spot. “A white girl would appear at night...the curtains fluttering in the wind when suddenly...a scream echoed through the apartment…-”

 

“Aish!” the leader threatened and emerged from under the covers. “I get it, okay? So go back to sleep, will ya?” he said and laid down his head against the cushions, this time not retreating to his safety base from earlier out of stubbornness and a whole pile of hurt pride. “You sure are poetic.”

 

Junhyung laughed, the leader was surely getting worked up by his teasing and Junhyung triumphantly decided he could happily comply, knowing full well that he had won this round. “Yeah, yeah, leader-nim. I’m sleeping now.” he announced and closed his eyes, ready to emerge with dream land.

 

Doojoon did the same, wishing that he could crawl just a little bit closer to the other, feeling like there were a million miles between them and he couldn’t quite reach out. He wanted to press his chest against the boys back and breath puff of warm breaths at the nape of his neck, but he knew full well that the arm he had casually draped across the others torso, just resting there, were probably already pushing his limit.

 

***

 

The next morning were like zombie land from the TV-series ‘The walking dead’ and nobody practically said a single word as they dragged themselves around the house, crossing each others paths while staggering like dead bodies to get ready for the days schedule.

 

Doojoon had deep, dark circles under his eyes that day and he found himself falling asleep in the car at more occasions than one, probably not fully playing out the leader role he was suppose to as he got some complaints from the manager. But he was too tired to really listen to the words and make an effort. He did try, but quickly fell into grumpy mode and kept sleeping every chance that he got, snapping one or two times at the other members without a real reason.

 

In other words, he had a ty day and the others soon learned that it was better to just let him be and do their job instead, choosing to fool around with each other while the latter slept. Doojoon himself wasn’t truly sure why he was acting like he was, he merely brushed it away as a result by the lack of sleep that night and reasoned that tomorrow would be better.

 

Exhausted, the group stumbled inside the dorm, almost falling in a big pile on the floor as they squeezed through the small door frame all at once. They exchanged a few grunts at an elbow in the side or the back of another member pushed into their face and eventually they were all shuffling towards the bathroom, creating ‘The walking dead’ army part 2.

 

“I’m so tired~" Dongwoon whined softly as he threw himself onto his bed, face buried into the white cushion and successfully suffocating himself. He was the last one to wash up and still had his make up on, smearing it onto the fabric but too tired to really care.

 

“Yeah.” Kikwang sighed. “Me too.” he confessed and crawled under the warmth of his bed, having already cleaned himself up and was ready for bed.

 

“Why was Doojoon so jumpy today, hyung?” Dongwoon sat up in bed with a frown on his face. He was worried about their leader and hoped that it was just a one day of lack of sleep, not something too big to worry about. The answer that he got eased his heart to at least some degree.

 

“Probably just exhausted like the rest of us. He’s the leader and has to take more crap from the managers than we do.” Kikwang explained, reassuring the maknae that everything was fine and there were nothing to worry about. And honestly he meant it, not thinking for a second that there were anything going on himself and peacefully left the waking land to run on rainbows and ride unicorns in his sleep.

 

Dongwoon shrugged, willing himself to get rid of the bad feeling in the depths of his gut as he made his way to the bathroom in hope that it was soon his turn to wash up. He had no reason to be worried, yet no matter how far he pushed that nagging feeling at the back of his mind it kept crawling back like a snake.

 

Did he have a reason to be worried after all?


***

 

---

Update! Halleluja~ I'm feeling really productive right now because I have no school! Don't get used to it though...School is a real pain in the , trust me. I will try though! For all you fellow 2jun shippers out there<3 Hehe, love ya!

Changed the font of all the chapters too...I was getting pissed at the previous one...^^

And I have no idea what's going to happen in this story right now. This chapter just kind of wrote itself and I still haven't figured out where it's going, I just know something bad will happen, something to adventure Doojoon's forever. Hence the title and the foreword ^^ But....what? I dont know... We'll see, hehe. Comment<3

Bye~