When we first met

Forever is a long way to go

“Damn…” Doojoon cursed, sipping on his ice cold drink as his eyes caught sight of someone walking down the crowded street. “Whose is that?” he purred and nudged Hyunseung in the side.

 

“What? Who?” Hyunseung asked curiously, leaning forward on the bench and resting his arms on his knees while sipping his own cooling drink. It was a hot summer day and it passed refreshingly down their throats in a soothing manner, serving to keep away the worst beads of sweat that threatened to appear in the obvious heat.

 

“That sort of swag looking kid…” Doojoon explained, sipping from his straw while following his gaze after the said boy who had stopped in front of the same man who they had bought their drinks from earlier.

 

“I can’t spot him…” Hyunseung pouted, a concentrated frown on his face as he thoroughly scanned the street in search of his friends sudden interest. “Oh, wait. Does he have black sunglasses?”

 

“Yes...and a black cap.” Doojoon nodded, sipping on his drink again before realizing it was already long gone and tossed it in the trash bin, that just happened to be handily placed just beside their bench.

 

“Ahh~ I can see why you like him…” Hyunseung nodded his head and put a hand on his chin. “He’s totally your style.” he smirked and sent a meaning look at Doojoon before quickly averting his eyes back to the boy who had started walking again, afraid to lose track of his new treasure.

 

Doojoon laughed but didn’t disagree with the others words, he indeed knew his feelings after all, having known him for a fair amount of time. “Hey!” Doojoon suddenly straightened in his seat. “Isn’t that Dongwoon?” he asked and slapped Hyunseung’s thigh, pointing amongst the crowd of people.

 

“Don’t know, I’m busy.” Hyunseung shrugged, his gaze plastered on the boy who had taken a seat on a bench across the street and sipped calmly on his drink. He sat laid backed with parted legs and hands resting in between. “Your love is sitting alone, you know.”

 

“My love?” Doojoon chuckled, looking weirdly at Hyunseung’s completely serious face while waving his arm in the air to grab Dongwoon’s attention. “I think that’s a little bit fast forward, don’t you think?”

 

Hyunseung shrugged. “I suppose.”

 

“Hey guys!” Dongwoon smiled brightly, lightly jogging in their direction and flailing and arm in the air along the way. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Well, It’s saturday, the sun is shining and it’s summer vacations...do we need more reasons than that?” Doojoon explained with a bright smile, greeting Dongwoon with a friendly hug.

 

“I guess not.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Hyunseung asked, greeting his friend with a handshake while still gazing intently on his precious treasure across the street.

 

“I met this friend over the internet a few weeks back and… I was supposed to meet him here today.” Dongwoon answered, glancing around the street with a little bit of anxiety showing on his features. He was honestly a little nervous about meeting him in person and had been stressing all morning before the clock had finally struck one in the afternoon.

 

“Really? Why didn’t I know about that?” Doojoon frowned, scanning the street as if searching for the said person.

 

Dongwoon shrugged. “Never thought it would go this far but he’s a really nice guy, very creative too.”

 

Doojoon hummed. “Well, you better not keep him waiting. But feel free to introduce him to us later, okay?”

 

Dongwoon nodded and made an okay sign with his fingers before walking off in search for his newfound friend amongst the wandering people in the summer heat. His eyes soon caught eye of someone very similar to the said boy and started in that direction with a bright smile gracing his handsome features.

 

“God, It’s really hot today.” Doojoon complained as he leaned back on the bench, tugging at his white tee in an attempt to cool himself but the effect not lasting more than a few seconds, much to his annoyance.

 

Instead, his eyes fell on the very attractive boy he had spotted earlier in an attempt to entertain himself in the time being but what shocked him was the sight of someone taking a seat beside him. And it was not just anyone, it was Dongwoon who had taken a seat beside the boy, greeting each other with mutual smiles and a brief hug.

 

Doojoon observed them quietly, taking in the small, soft smile that painted the boys lips, making his cheek bones evident in shadowed lines under his pair of sunglasses. He truly wished to see what was beneath those, what was hidden under there and what it would be like to gaze into those eyes, what feelings he would find there.

 

It was something with the way the other carried himself, confident and stylish yet somewhat shy and gentle. It was attractive, intriguing even to Doojoon and the more he observed him the more he longed for the chance to talk to the boy, hear his voice. He imagined it to be as smooth and soft as his plump lips.

 

“Yah...Yoon Doojoon.” Hyunseung waved a hand in front of his friends face with a smirk on his own, knowing full well what had distracted him from the present. “I want ice cream.” he pouted after successfully grabbing at least some piece of Doojoon’s attention.

 

Doojoon hummed. “Yeah, sure.” he said and reluctantly tore his gaze from the two on the bench and proceeded to stand up to grab that ice cream. Actually, now that he thought about it, an ice cream would be really nice in the warm weather.

 

Hyunseung grinned happily and quickly started walking towards a nearby stand with a smiling ahjumma selling various ice creams to passing customers. His doe eyes were practically sparkling when he reached the stand with all the flavors displayed behind a small glass counter.

 

Doojoon followed shortly and felt his mouth watering at the thought of something smooth and cooling down his throat, ice cream would indeed be perfect right now. He smiled at the ahjumma, greeting her warmly before making their orders, although Hyunseung had a hard time deciding his cook up of flavors but nonetheless they were at least finished somewhat fast.

 

Unfortunately, their previous spot had been occupied by some kids playing around their two parents while on lollipops so they had no other choice but to stand up, fried by the sun and ice cream melting faster than they could possibly comprehend. Hyunseung ended up having his hands completely covered in sticky liquid and eventually it got smeared practically everywhere, drawing a genuine laugh from Doojoon as it wasn’t exactly an uncommon scene.

 

He remembered when they were kids and well, kids are never good with food in general but Hyunseung was truly a case of its own. He wouldn’t only completely cover himself in juicy sauces but also the people around him were in great danger, although no one would have the heart to scold him since his intention all along was only to share his food with you.

 

“Ayye~ Such a kid.” Doojoon teased, smiling brightly as he forcefully cleaned the others mouth with the last bit of tissue he had left, having already used all of his own including Hyunseung’s to keep the melting ice cream away for as long as possible.

 

“Stop calling me a kid.” Hyunseung complained, pouting stubbornly as he kept the consistent flow of liquid running down his hands and dropping onto the hot asphalt, ignoring Doojoon’s approaching hand and tissue. “By the way...your babe is on the move.”

 

Doojoon frowned, raising an eyebrow at his friend before chuckling lightly. “Babe?” he asked with a crooked smile. “Who?” he asked confused, looking at the street in wonder before realizing that the boy he had been so intently observing earlier were gone and out of sight. A slight disappointment filled Doojoon’s chest and an unconscious pout painted his face as he had really wanted to watch him just a little bit longer.

 

“You’ll see.” Hyunseung answered mysteriously, still stubbornly trying to eat up the ice cream before it completely disappeared and it was apparently proving difficult even for the most diligent of people.

 

Doojoon raised an eyebrow but ignored the others words and proceeded to throw his own almost untouched ice cream in the trash, he didn’t feel like eating it anymore and his hands were beginning to become covered too.

 

In that moment, after thrashing his runny ice cream into the blackness to join other similarly fated ice creams in the hotness of summer, he caught sight of something, or rather someone, approaching steadily across the street and without warning the pulse of his heart rose a hundred notches. Just like that.

 

His mouth started to feel dry, his throat squeezed and his heart rate was insanely high as he for the first time in a very long time suddenly felt truly and genuinely nervous. His brain didn’t register what words were exchanged but at some point his hand was touching a warm, much paler hand and he was gazing into a pair of eyes that was beyond attractive.

 

Slightly puffy, paired with a perfect set of eyebrows, making him look innocent, manly and totally jump worthy all at the same time. Not to mention the lips he had watched from a far for so long were now moving right in front of him, perfectly bow shaped and full. What were they spelling? Yoon Junhyung? That’s a beautiful name.

 

“Yah, Yoon Doojoon.” Hyunseung nudged his friends side and quietly and rather awkwardly woke the other up from whatever sort of trance he was in, causing the said latter to quickly recover and flash one of his famous smiles.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m Yoon Doojoon.” He smiled, watching as Junhyung nodded and scratched the strands of his dyed brown hair while returning a faint smile at him. There was a split second of silence, where Doojoon observed the very interesting change of color on Junhyung’s cheeks with a satisfied grin before realizing that the cause of it was probably the fact that he was still holding the others hand.

 

It was Doojoon’s time to scratch the back of his own dark hair in reflex as he felt embarrassed of his own gesture. He probably scared the hell out of the boy, considering it would freak out just about anyone and he had been practically openly flirting with another boy, whom he had no idea which way he swinged.

 

“Oh my god, what have you done with your shirt?!” Dongwoon suddenly exclaimed, approaching Hyunseung who had apparently managed to not only cover the side of his cheeks with ice cream but also his entire shirt. “You’re such a kid sometimes, hyung.”

 

“I said to stop calling me a kid!” Hyunseung retorted grumpily, successfully smearing the ice cream on his hands across Dongwoon’s nose and cheek in a minor revenge. “It’s not funny!”

 

Junhyung laughed, a beautiful laugh and Doojoon tried to look indifferent as he tuned in on the sound, listening carefully as he wondered if the whole package of perfection in front of him really was possible.

 

“Yeah, I advice you to not buy the ice cream.” Doojoon joked, grinning at Dongwoon’s face and at the fact that it was probably the happiest day since summer vacations had started. He felt like the wind was truly blowing in his favor for once.

 

“I can see why.” Junhyung smiled, walking away for a brief moment to grab a couple of tissues from the ahjumma in the ice cream stand. He used them to clean of the stickiness on both Dongwoon’s face and Hyunseung’s, well, everything. Although, it never truly disappeared and Junhyung ended up with a small stain on his own white tank top.

 

Doojoon who had been watching the scene, chuckled at the childishness, mildly surprised that he for once wasn’t in it. Usually, he was the one who had crazy ideas and tried to be funny and always managed to be involved in every situation possible but today he felt like just watching, absorbing every movement of his newfound admiration.

 

Maybe this was the mark of a new beginning. It truly felt like it in that moment of happiness, like he had found the one thing that would turn his life in the direction of the better. Junhyung, an angel sent from above.

 

But what if he wasn’t gay.

 

***

 

Doojoon only knew Junhyung for a little over a year before he transferred school, but that one year was more than enough for them to grow close. They became the best of friends, always sticking together like a stubborn piece of gum plastered on a table and refusing to let go. They went on all sorts of adventures, some leaving them in situations that Doojoon never thought he could forget.

 

Like that one time when Junhyung had been so angry at him for luring him into a big hole of mud, covering his tennis shoes completely and staining his white socks in a nice brown color. The poor boy had been sulking, grumpily wandering around the house of Doojoon’s parents, while he had been trying to apologize and coo him into forgiving him.

 

Eventually, Doojoon had ended up on the couch, massaging sore spots on the younger’s back in an attempt to clear his name. Though, they both knew his mischief would never really come to a stop and situations like these would never stop occurring, but Junhyung had never minded.

 

But after the transfer, they suddenly talked less and less. They tried, they really did, but it didn’t quite hold up in the tough times of exams and when other worries kept slipping in the way. It didn’t take long before the contact completely disappeared, both finding new friends and burying themselves into their own lives and what it came to offer.

 

Doojoon never truly forgot him though. He would occasionally think of him, think of the many days that they had spent together and he would truly miss him. Sometimes, he would ache for that beautiful smile and crinkling eyes that he had fallen so deeply for the first day he had met him. He would think of that too sometimes. Often even. The first day they had met. He missed him.

 

More than he would like to admit.

 

***

 

Doojoon flicked his hair out of his sweaty forehead, annoyingly reaching up a hand when strands of his hair refused to leave the sticky surface and clung to it annoyingly. He was panting heavily, having danced non stop for almost two hours and wasn’t provided a single break until now.

 

He staggered over to his water bottle and gulped down the content, exhaling deeply from the lack of air as he leaned back against the wall, seated on the pleasantly cooling floor. It had been a while since he had started pursuing his career within the music industry and days like these became a part of his daily life. JYP had been his first entertainment company in which he trained for a while, he was even on the brink of making his debut but was eventually cut off and forced to find another way to make it to his dream.

 

He had been enjoying music since he was a little child and the interest grew through the years, making it pretty obvious to him what he wanted to do with his life. Junhyung and he had shared a mutual interest in music and the world of an idol, leaving them talking into the late of night as they shared ideas, writing down lyrics on sheets of papers scattered across the room.

 

“Don’t forget you have vocal lessons later, Doojoon.” another trainee reminded the exhausted teenager and left the practice room together with a couple of others. There were many of them at this place.

 

“Yeh~” Doojoon answered and took another gulp from his water bottle before dragging his body from the floor, ready to go to next practice.

 

Sometimes it was hard, or most of the time it was exhausting and it drained your energy more than anything else but now, after joining Cube Entertainment, he felt much more determined and certain than he had before. He meant it now, truly meant every move he made and every note that he sang.

 

He was passionate, even though he had no idea at that time if success would actually ever come. If he would ever see the light at the end of the tunnel.

 

And if Junhyung was officially out of his life. Forever.

 

***

 

When they met each other again for the first time in years, Doojoon was at first at the loss of words. So many things to say, but nothing that came out of his mouth. Junhyung had changed, he had grown and Doojoon had to stare at him for a long time just to take in the new boy in front of him. So stunningly beautiful.

 

Junhyung had pulled him into a tight hug, tears almost threatening to spill over his eyes and Doojoon knew that his own were equally as teary as him. “Oh my god. I’ve missed you, Jun.” Doojoon breathed into the crook of his friend’s neck, inhaling the scent he had missed for so long and embraced the warmth radiating from the other. , he had missed this.

 

“I’ve missed you too, Doojoon.” Junhyung’s soft voice caressed his ear in a small puff of air as he closed his eyes in the embrace, a lonely tear slipping down his cheek.

 

Junhyung caressed the others hair lovingly as he restrained from crying even more, not minding the tightness of Doojoon’s hug or the way he buried his face into his neck as he was used to the touchiness of his friend.

 

The reunion was emotional, like how they had imagined it would be, and at that night they stayed up for a long time, talking about everything that they had been through, what the other had missed while they were apart and soon it was like they never really was.

 

“I ran like my life depended on it, man! I’m not even kidding, I was so damn scared at that time!” Doojoon smiled embarrassedly, unable to hold the grin from his face as he told another funny story the other had missed upon. Junhyung was rolling on the floor with laughter, kicking the other with his foot as he cringed in disbelief.

 

“I’m serious man, that ahjumma was no joke!” Doojoon pouted, watching the others laughter and landing a light punch on the others chest.

 

“Oh no, do not pout!” Junhyung laughed, groaning as he covered his face with his hands. “You did not just do that.”

 

“What? You haven’t missed my cute aegyo?” Doojoon joked with a girly voice, blinking his wide eyes and tilting his head side to side with a silly smile.

 

Junhyung peered from behind his hands and smacked the boys head at the sight he was met with. “Just stop it! Aegyo is not your thing, Doo. Trust me.” he chuckled and struggled up from his lying position, heaving a deep sigh after all the previous hysterical laughter.

 

“You’re worse.” Doojoon retorted and stuck his tongue out playfully even though he knew the statement probably wasn’t true. Even if Junhyung wasn’t good at being cute on demands, he sure as hell knew how to blush and act all squirmy when alone with Doojoon.

 

“That’s not true!” Junhyung answered back confidently as he crossed his arms and unconsciously jutted out his lips in stubborness.

 

“It is!” Doojoon teased, grabbing the brown haired boy in a strangle hold and keeping him there to devilishly tickle at his sides in an attempt to make the other give in.

 

Junhyung struggled against the hold, jolting now and then as the wandering hand at his side continuously tickled his sensitive skin and soon he was begging the other to stop. “Yah! Yoon Doojoon! Please!”

 

Doojoon laughed and released his hold, immediately shielding himself from the blow he knew would come and the continuous nagging he was going to hear. And damn right he was, weak girly smacks typical of Junhyung hit him in an constant rant of words scolding him for being such an awful friend in the next five minutes.

 

But Doojoon could only smile a broad grin behind his shielding forearms because he had missed this so much that his heart even ached from all the happiness it contained. He wanted to spend the next days of his happy life spending every waking hour by Junhyung’s side. It was silly, Doojoon knew that too, but the feelings he had were nothing he could easily deny.

 

They were young, too young, too bold, too reckless, and Doojoon knew that too. But the boy he saw in front of him was one he cherished so deeply and so limitlessly that he knew he had to stay by his side. Forever.

 

However, forever is a strong word which weighs heavy in the air when it’s told. Will Doojoon ever experience the end of his forever?


***

 

omg, that was a long introduction...O_O

Anyway, liked it? This was absolutely not what I planned when I first started to write this 2jun fic, not at all. Suddenly, I just felt like writing about them in, you know, their natural habitat (Iwas totally about to write that *facepalms*) their idol world and such so...the whole thing just suddenly changed and therefore the many jumps because I needed to kind of fast forward into the idol stuff since they met on the street. Mianhae~

Comment and subsribe~~~~! *3*