Of Mountains And Miracles

Pure Pain, Undiluted

Saturday.

Jeremy and Mi Nam were out the whole day, playing basketball and playing pool. Aunt Mi Ja and Mi Nyu went to the market to buy ingredients for the whole week. Shin Woo was, as usual, with Hyun Joong, and Tae Kyung went to Singapore for something urgent.

That evening, Mi Nam and Jeremy went home sweaty and happy. There were exchanging high fives when Mi Nyu met them at the door.

"It's nice to see you agreeing on things," she told them.

"We agree on things," Jeremy said. "We're just different sometimes."

"Agree," Mi Nam said.

Mi Nyu smiled and invited them for dinner. Just as they were about to go, Shin Woo came in as well.

"How's your day, Shin Woo-hyung?" Jeremy asked.

"Uh, still the same, busy even on Saturdays," he replied.

"Ya, I will set the table so that our Shin Woo-hyung can eat and sleep early," Jeremy said happily as he went on his way.

"You need vitamins, Hyung," Mi Nam said.

"Ara. But it is not sufficient without proper rest," he replied. "Which is rare for me these days."

"Shin Woo-hyung, can you request Kim Hyun Joong-oppa to give you some time to rest?" Mi Nyu suggested.

Shin Woo placed his bag on the floor.

"No time either," he said icily. "Even Hyung is busy these days. We have many things to catch up."

Mi Nam understood. He hit Shin Woo on the chest and told him to just be patient and catch up on sleep.

"You have become so thin, Shin Woo-hyung," Mi Nyu noted sadly.

"It can't be helped," he tiredly said as he grabbed his bag and went inside his room.

"He really is avoiding me," she said to Mi Nam.

Mi Nam noticed it too. The guitarist was perfectly fine when speaking to him or to Jeremy, but he is elusive to Mi Nyu and Tae Kyung. Well, in the first place, Shin Woo and Tae Kyung were not even close.

"Don't take it too hard, Mi Nyu-ya," Mi Nam said.

*******

That dinner time, Aunt Mi Ja placed the choicest meat on each of the younger people's plates. They were really grateful for that act of love.

"Eat, eat all of you," she amiably said as she looked at them. "All my children are all grown up. You should eat lots."

She noticed Shin Woo eating silently so she coaxed him to eat heartily.

"My eldest son.... eat lots, huh? Your hyung is punishing you," she said. "Eat lots!"

"Tae Kyung-hyung is your eldest son," Mi Nam told her.

"Ah... aigoo, aigoo, but he is not here. Mr. Kang is the eldest son today, huh?" she told her niece.

"But I am Mr. Kang too," Jeremy said.

"But I never call you Mr. Kang. Mr. Kang is Shin Woo, I call you Snail," the ajumma retorted.

Mi Nam laughed at his aunt's remarks. Jeremy shot an angry glare at the keyboardist.

"Auntie, eat lots too," Mi Nyu told her.

"Of course, I will do that," she said.

Later, when Mi Nyu saw that the plates of the guys were almost empty, she cheered them up and told them to eat lots. Jeremy and Mi Nam requested for seconds, so Mi Nyu served them with more juicy beef.

"If I have more money, I want to treat all of you to the Oh Family's restaurant," Mi Ja said.

"Ah? That family restaurant specializing on beef and meat?" Jeremy asked.

"I heard that they serve their guests with meat instead of coffee," Mi Nam said.

"I have also heard that their chubby one and only son is going to Cheon Ha University," Jeremy shared.

"Ah? Cheon Ha Dae (university)?" Aunt Mi Ja asked in shock. "But, he is attending the toilet school Byeong Moon, right?"

"Geuraeyo?????" Mi Nam asked. "Wow, how did someone from a school of bad reputation enter a prestigious college like that?"

"I heard they had a special class," Shin Woo finally talked. "But as to the secret of that class, we don't know."

(Wahaha... God of Study much?)

Mi Nyu smiled at him for talking with them. She chose a nice portion of the meat and placed it on Shin Woo's plate.

"Eat lots, Shin Woo-hyung," she told him. "I cooked it well for everybody."

Shin Woo looked at her, but with a poker face. "Gomawo."

Mi Nyu looked at him eating silently, and she continued to watch him as he emptied his plate. They did not notice that Aunt Mi Ja, Jeremy, and Mi Nam were looking at each other, then at them. Finally, Shin Woo noticed the silence, and he broke it.

"What's wrong?" he nonchalantly asked them.

Mi Nyu shot a glance at them.

"Oh? Ohohoh, nothing!" Aunt Mi Ja lied.

"If Tae Kyung-hyung were here, he'd get very, very jealous," Mi Nam warned his sister.

Jeremy nodded slyly.

"Oh? It's not what you think!" Mi Nyu defended herself. "I just want to see him eat all on his plate so that he will be healthy. That is what we want for him, right?"

"Right," Mi Nam said.

But Mi Nyu did not know that they were not convinced with her explanation.

"Jal meokeosseumnida (Thank you for the food. I enjoyed it very much)," Shin Woo said casually.

Then, Jeremy shared that he and Mi Nam bought some desserts for everyone to share.

"Hyung, don't leave the table yet!" he told Shin Woo.

*******

After dinner, Mi  Nyu went to the veranda to be with Jolie. The dog was in her doghouse, totally asleep.

"Mi Nyu-ya," Mi Nam called out as he approached his sister. "Can we talk?"

Mi Nyu nodded and listened eagerly.

"You know, I had been noticing this, but there seems to be something going on with you and Shin Woo-hyung," Mi Nam said. "We know that you rejected him, and he took it hard. But what are you doing? You are being too kind to him."

"And why not, Oppa?" she asked. "He is my friend. I am doing things for him in return."

Mi Nam shook his head.

"I guess you need to check where your loyalty lies, Tae Kyung or Shin Woo," he said.

"Huh?"

"You are Tae Kyung-hyung's girlfriend, but you are, like, silently 'flirting' with Shin Woo-hyung," Mi Nam said, emphasizing the word 'flirting.'

"Oppa! I am offended," Mi Nyu said.

"You are not offended, you are being defensive," Mi Nam said. "It doesn't look nice, you know."

Mi Nyu knitted her eyebrows. What was that supposed to mean?

"You love Tae Kyung-hyung so much. You should be more loyal to him. Treat Shin Woo-hyung the same way you treat Jeremy," he said. "Don't be too sweet on him, and don't be offended if he acts all pathetic."

Mi Nyu bowed her head. She just wanted to be kind to Shin Woo.

"You may think you are being kind to him, but in a guy's point of view, if I were to look with Tae Kyung's eyes, it would look like you are chasing his love rival," Mi Nam said.

"I only wanted to be kind to Shin Woo-hyung, that's all," Mi Nyu replied.

"Yeah, we know. But did you not notice that we were spying on the two of you when you watched him finish his meat? I warned you that Tae Kyung would get jealous if he saw it," Mi Nam said.

Mi Nyu was totally unaware of that.

"I know you were left in the convent while I stayed away early, that is why you are dense and simple minded when it comes to love," Mi Nam said. "But don't think that love is just about one woman and one man and living happily ever after. It's complicated."

"What...what do you mean, Oppa?"

Mi Nam recounted her love triangle with Tae Kyung and He Yi.

"Tae Kyung-hyung told me that when I told him I was dating He Yi. He told me to be careful with her, that is why he told me his complicated love story with you and He Yi."

Mi Nyu was about to open , but she shut it.

"With you, even if He Yi was trying to bring you down, Tae Kyung went along with her just to protect you. You were all he has, and he was thinking of you all the time. That is why he chose to sacrifice. You also sacrificed for him by letting him be with her. At least, you know in the end that he loves you, and you love him. But this one is different, Mi Nyu-ya, this is different."

"Please enlighten me, Oppa..."

"You are totally in love with Tae Kyung, but you begin to show some affection for Shin Woo. What is that? Remember, you cannot serve two masters at the same time. If you have to invest your feelings in one person, you have to stick with Tae Kyung and forget your new feelings for Shin Woo, or leave Tae Kyung and show Shin Woo your affection. You cannot have best of both worlds."

The explanation was too much for Mi Nyu. She did not quite understand it.

"Why is my sister so dense? Mi Nyu-ya, it's like this. Hypothetically, it's you and Tae Kyung. But what if you saw him back in He Yi's arms and they are smiling, but it is still you and him? How would you feel?"

Mi Nyu remembered the feeling of jealousy, just like the time when she saw the two kissing near the stairs for the reporters to see.

"I...I get jealous..."

"That's it. Tae Kyung will feel that way too if he sees you being kind and sweet to Shin Woo. He knows very well that Shin Woo has a past with you, and that you and he are close. The point is, it is bad for a guy to have two girlfriends, or for a girl to have two boyfriends. Just that."

Mi Nyu nodded.

"Arasseoyo..."

"I guess if you have something for Shin Woo, you need to sort it out correctly if your feelings are just being friendly or more than being friendly. You need a lot of time to contemplate on that."

Mi Nyu started to cry, and Mi Nam had to pat his sister's hair.

"Tell me, how do you feel when Shin Woo pushed you aside?"

"I feel sad, of course. Because it totally hurts that he is not the comforting Shin Woo-hyung he promised me to be. I kept that hope that he will keep his promise even if I rejected him."

"Do you think he will keep that promise? Have you not noticed that he has changed?"

She nodded.

"Do you think you look at him as a brother?"

"Ye."

"But why did you cry? For all I know, if you have a misunderstanding with a friend, of course, you will be sad, you will cry. But you don't cry that much, just like what you have been doing."

Mi Nyu shook her head.

"I don't think that your feelings for him is that of a brother. And with your confession to me one time, you asked yourself why you even bothered crying for the man you rejected. Tell me honestly, are you falling in love with Shin Woo-hyung?"

Mi Nyu was taken aback by her brother's question.

Has she really fallen in love with Shin Woo?

"I... I don't know...." she said in tears.

"Aigoo.... you really need to check your priorities.... You need to think it over."

Mi Nyu bit her lips.

"Then, if I fall in love with Shin Woo, is it all right if I just love him secretly?"

Mi Nam could not hide the surprise on his face.

"Mi Nyu, if you have to love Shin Woo, you can only love him as a friend. If your feelings for him are deeper than that, no matter how silent you will do it, Tae Kyung will surely notice it. If you want to love Shin Woo on the lover status level, you need to sort out your feelings for Tae Kyung. If you found out that you seem to not love him anymore, then you break up with him."

Mi Nyu bit her lips. She really could not have best of both worlds.

*******

That night, Shin Woo was in the veranda, checking his music sheets. Mi Nyu was near the door, and she was praying for a sign. How could she know her real feelings for Shin Woo? She heaved a sigh and went to Shin Woo.

"Shin Woo-hyung?" she called out to him and sat beside him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Hyung... I just want to be with a friend...." she said.

Shin Woo placed his sheets beside him and looked at her coldly.

"A person who falls off the mountainous cliff will try to hold on for dear life. But if the mountain shove its rocks off and the person lets go, he will fall down and will have nothing to hold on to anymore. He will die, or he might be greatly injured."

Mi Nyu seemed to get the hang of his riddle.

"But Shin Woo-hyung, if someone will throw a rope to that falling person, then he can grab it, right?"

"A rope coming from a mountain is one in a million chance, Mi Nyu."

"But that one in a million chance is a miracle."

Shin Woo tried to reason out with her.

"Do you believe in miracles, Mi Nyu?"

"Ye. I believe in miracles. It will come to you when you least expect it."

Then, Shin Woo replied. "I believe in miracles too. But there are times that you need to work on your own for miracles to happen."

Mi Nyu shed a tear down her fair face. "Then, do you not want for that rope to fall down for you to grab on to?"

Shin Woo replied heartlessly. "I no longer hope for the rope, or for any rope to be thrown from the mountain. Please stop handing your ropes to me."

He stood up and walked away, leaving Mi Nyu crying her eyes out.

"Shin Woo-hyung, just when I was starting to throw that rope for you to come back to me.... Then, if that is what you want, I will not throw that rope anymore...."