When Someone You Love Breaks Your Heart

Pure Pain, Undiluted

Mi Nyu opened her door to see Mi Nam.

"Oppa, what's the rush? It's already night," she said.

Mi Nam was panting like Jolie.

"Mi Nyu-ya, can I borrow your new cellphone?" he asked.

Mi Nyu obliged. Then, Mi Nam tinkered with her phone. Then, he gave it back to her. She checked what was changed.

"Telephone Operator?" she asked him. "What for?"

"Oh, that? Just making myself the Telephone Operator," Mi Nam said sheepishly. "Ya, my old number is still the same, but if you want to call me in secret, just dial the Telephone Operator, arasseo?"

Then he bid his sister goodbye. As the girl closed her door, Mi Nam heaved a sigh. He had corrected Aunt Mi Ja's number, and for Shin Woo's number, he placed the name Telephone Operator.

"I'm so smart. Hahahaha..."

***************

Aunt Mi Ja was in the grocery store when she received a call.

"My first call, ahehehe..."

She answered the call, proudly displaying her new phone.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Aunt Mi Ja."

"O, Mi Nyu-ya! You called! Are you in Japan, Hong Kong, etc."

"Ah...ye Auntie," Mi Nyu lied. "I just want to ask you regarding the things I said last night."

"Last night?" Aunt Mi Ja asked, confused.

"But I called you up last night," Mi Nyu said.

"But, this is my first call," Aunt Mi Ja thought.

Then, she cleared and faked her knowledge.

"What about last night?" the ajumma asked.

"Do you think I should sing that song to them?" Mi Nyu asked.

"Uh...ah...Yes, just sing it at the right time," Mi Ja said.

"Oh... gamsahamnida..." Mi Nyu said.

Mi Ja got confused when she dropped the call. What was that about? As for Mi Nyu, she never knew that she had accidentally called Shin Woo because of Mi Nam's manipulation.

****************

Ri Ja and Mi Nyu parted ways, though they remained friends. Ri Ja went to Singapore to continue her modeling career, and Mi Nyu went to Japan to be a model. She did her best to do her work, in order to forget the heartaches she caused Tae Kyung and Shin Woo.

All the girls in Korea, and even the girl groups envy her for her successful career. Even if the other members of the other girl groups went to modeling, they could not even come close to Mi Nyu's success. She even studied Japanese and debuted as a singer, on stage, for anime, and for J-dorama. She even did part time as a seiyuu (voice actor) in anime, but that was just a secret side of hers. She was most famous for being a model-singer.

The Japanese press even asked her if she was willing to go to real acting, not just being a seiyuu.

"Oh, I enjoy being a seiyuu, but if given the chance to act in a drama, I will not say no to it."

*************

She went home to her pad and started cooking her own dinner. After that, she ate dinner and got ready for bedtime.

"Hmmm.... Why could I not sleep?" she thought.

She the TV and flipped channels. She came to the Arirarirang channel, and saw that the concert featured was the AN Jell concert which was held live in Malaysia. She had been busy that she really missed seeing her former friends performing on stage.

Tae Kyung's face was flashed on screen, and she smiled. Good and hurtful memories began to flood back, but all she cherished where her good memories with him. Then next, Mi Nam's face was flashed on screen. Her brother had became more muscular, and she smiled that her brother was becoming so much healthier. A glimpse of Shin Woo was also caught on TV, and she found him looking younger. What had happened? As she looked at him, she suddenly felt her love for him being awakened. She could not help but feel her cheeks, which had gone warm.

She remembered that she had never sang her song to both guys.

Then, the face of Jeremy was shown on screen. He had grown mature, and he sported the spiky hairdo and sideburns. Whoa. Is that really Jeremy?

Just then, her phone rang. To her surprise, it was Coordi Noona, doing some overseas call. She picked up the call and chatted with the stylist for long hours.

************

Mi Nyu performed on stage with Kamenashi Kazuya, and the crowd got so wild. They kept on chanting their idols' names, and some even threw their clothes at the Japanese singers.

Mi Nyu was the guest performer in Kat-tun's concert, and Kat-tun was very much honored to have the famous model perform with them. During the closing credits, the Kat-tun guys all hugged her. She was very much happy for their reception.

"If Akanishi Jin would have been here too," Mi Nyu said to them.

Kame smirked, "I am sure that if he sees you, he'll be proud to."

"Let's just congratulate Jin for his show business life in America," Mi Nyu told them.

When they went backstage, she received a call. It was Tae Kyung.

"Oh! Eotteokhaji????" she panicked, so she answered the call.

It had been a year since they last talked, and it felt good to be talking to him again.

"Annyeong, Pig Rabbit," he said warmly.

"Ah... annyeong hashimnikka, Hyung..nim..."

Tae Kyung was in Japan, and he wanted to talk to her. They decided to talk in a ritzy restaurant.

******

Tae Kyung looked at his ex-girlfriend. Hatred was no longer in his heart, and he felt he had been wanting to reunite with a friend.

"How are you?" he asked as he gave her a cheek-to-cheek treatment.

"I'm doing great," she said. "I saw your latest concert in Malaysia, and Hyungnim looks cool as ever."

"I am always cool, cooler than your own brother," Tae Kyung .

She pouted, but not the aegyo way. Then, they went to a restaurant and had dinner. Then, she told him.

"I have been wanting to say this to you, but never got the chance," Mi Nyu said.

She went to the person playing the piano near the counter, then she whispered to him. She got a microphone and greeted the crowd.

"Konbanwa, minnasan," she said. "Tonight, I will sing a song for everyone. So please enjoy."

The crowd clapped, feeling so honored to have a model sing for them. To Tae Kyung's surprise, she sang "Can We Still Be Friends?" Though the Japanese usually prefer their own songs, they were receptive to the model's song. After the song, they all clapped, and she bowed. Then, she went back to her seat.

"Mi Nyu-ya...." Tae Kyung said.

Mi Nyu smiled apologetically at him. "That is the song I wanted to sing to you. Joesonghamnida...."

Tae Kyung lit up a smile, though his smile did not captivate her heart anymore. "I have forgiven you already. You being away from me, from us, made me cool down my anger. I have moved on without you."

Mi Nyu was glad that Tae Kyung finally moved on.

"Are you still hurting, Hyungnim?" she asked.

Tae Kyung shook his head. "Not anymore. When you gave back the necklace and the stuffed toy, it hurt of course, most especially that you confessed to Shin Woo before breaking up with me. But now, it is all like a dream, and it is gone for good. I am all right, and I hope you are too."

Mi Nyu smiled. "Ye, I am. Being in Japan made me grow, and it healed my heartaches."

Both of them raised their champagne glasses and toasted to happiness and friendship.

*****

Mi Nyu was lying on the couch comfortably in the comforts of her own pad when her second cellphone rang. She brought her new phone to Japan just in case she might want to talk to Mi Nam secretly.

"Oh? Telephone Operator?"

She cleared to answer the call. Finally, a secret call from Mi Nam.

"Yeoboseyo?" she greeted.

"Annyeong, Mi Nyu-ya," a male voice greeted her.

"Oppa, why is your voice husky? Did you eat well? I already told you not to drink cold water after singing."

"Mi Nyu-ya, this is not Mi Nam-ah," Telephone Operator said.

She suddenly realized who was talking to her.

"Shi...Shin Woo-hyung?"

"Mi Nyu-ya, I am here in Japan," he said. "Let's meet."

Mi Nyu invited him over to her pad, and even gave him instructions. When she dropped the call, she felt her heart feeling hope. Shin Woo is going to meet with her. Perhaps he realized too that he never loved Ri Ja at all.

"I can feel it... he still loves me...." she thought happily.

******

The doorbell rang, and when she checked her monitor, Shin Woo was already standing outside, and she felt her heart fluttering in joy. She opened the door for him.

"Annyeong hashimnikka?" she greeted, polite as always.

Shin Woo realized that Mi Nyu was no longer the clumsy child who dirtied her chin with ice cream. He greeted her, and she invited him inside.

"How are you, Mi Nyu-ya," he asked casually.

Mi Nyu played with her fingers clumsily. "Is Shin Woo-hyung being nice to me again?"

Shin Woo-smiled. "I'm still nice, am I not?"

Mi Nyu blushed. "I...just want to say sorry for confessing to you that night..."

Shin Woo smiled a sad smile. "Gwaenchanha. The past is past. It's no longer in front of us."

"Shin Woo-hyung... I... I want to make it up to you.... Are you hungry?"

"You bet I am," he said.

And so, he joined her for dinner. They talked and reminisced about the past gone by, and they talked about their own separate lives. He was glad to know that she was moving on with her life in Japan, and that she was very successful as a model.

"I have learned that you will be having a concert in Korea next year," he said.

"Ah, ye...."

Dinner time was done, so she told him to be comfy in her living room while she did aftercare in her dining room.

******

"Oh, regarding my concert in Korea, it is still being polished. I might even do some modeling there," she said.

"Nice to know," Shin Woo said.

She even inquired about Jeremy and Mi Nam, who were doing great and had less fights. She also learned that Manager Ma and Coordi Noona were expecting a baby.

"Omo? I have to call them and say my congratulations."

"President Ahn had wanted you to sing for them during their wedding, but he was thinking that you were too busy. He wanted to apologize for that."

Mi Nyu shook her head. "Please tell President Ahn that it was all right, and it should be I who should apologize for having such a schedule. But I am happy for Noona and Manager Ma."

He remembered something, so he asked.

"When did you change numbers?" he asked.

She told him when, and she told him that she did not know that his number was programmed into her phone.

"Did you not realize that it was Mi Nam who put my number in your phone?" he asked.

"Omo? Oppa did?" she asked in confusion. "Is that why your name is 'Telephone Operator'?"

Shin Woo did his best not to roll his eyeballs. "Mi Nam is so unbelievable."

"But how did you know of my new number? I thought only Oppa' number and Aunt Mi Ja's number was in my phone, aside from this 'Telephone Operator'."

"Ya, you had even mistaken me for Aunt Mi Ja," Shin Woo explained.

"Huh? Since when?" she asked in confusion.

Then, he told her of the time when she called and she let him listen to the song "Can We Still Be Friends?" by Mandy Moore.

"So... it was you, Shin Woo-hyung...." she solemnly said, her heart aching. "No wonder Aunt Mi Ja did not know about it."

"What was that about, Mi Nyu?" he asked.

"Uh... that was one song I was supposed to sing to you and Hyungnim... asking for forgiveness...."

Shin Woo lit up a charming smile. "I had forgiven you already."

Mi Nyu scooted next to him and hugged him tight. "Gomawoyo, hyung..."

Then, she looked at him.

"Does Hyungnim and Jeremy know of my new number?" she asked, confused.

"Ani. Mi Nam purposely placed my number in your phone and I don't  know why he did that. But only he and I knew of your new number. I think he wanted me to keep a secret that only the two of us will  have in common."

"Or even share," Mi Nyu thought, blushing.

Suddenly, she remembered something. She bit her lips, too scared to ask this question.

"Shin Woo-hyung, how are you...and Ri Ja..." she asked, too uneasy but faking up being cheerful.

Shin Woo smiled and got his bag. Then he produced something from his bag and handed it to her. When she took it, her hands trembled.

The matte-textured cream-colored hard paper. The Edwardian scripts. The embossed dove figures, bells, laurel leaves, and ribbons.

"What... is this?" she asked, her lips trembling.

"Ri Ja and I are getting married," Shin Woo said.

Tears fell from her eyes, and she couldn't even hide her heartache. She opened the invitation and read it. It will be happening Saturday next week.

"I know it is like late notice, but I did my best to contact you, and I remembered the secret number," he said. "I know you are here in Japan, so I really flew all the way here just to give it to you personally."

He looked at her with sadness in his eyes. Mi Nyu wiped her tears, and forced a smile.

"Uh...uh... I have to say...uh... chukhahae...." she said. "I wish you... all the best...for your new life with Ri Ja...."

She could not bear it anymore, that she knelt on the floor and covered her face.

"Don't look back at me, Shin Woo-hyung..." she told him. "Just look forward and be happy...."

Shin Woo looked at her in sadness again. "Gomawo...."

He pulled her into a hug and cradle her in his arms.

"If this is the last caring act that I will have to do for you, I want to comfort you. I told myself that I will no longer be your good hyung, but it seems that you needed that hyung..."

Mi Nyu melted in his arms. She sobbed and sobbed, and thought that she wanted to kiss him for the last time. But she thought of her promise to Ri Ja, that even if she loved Shin Woo, she will not do anything to steal him away.

"I will be the good friend. I will be the good friend. I will be happy for her...for him.... and in time, I will forget...." she thought.

Shin Woo kissed her head and apologized.

"Sorry that Hyung is making you cry again... that Hyung is breaking your heart... But I love my girlfriend and I want to be her forever too."

 

**********

WARNING:

Please don't stop reading this fic. Dooley fans, don't worry, Dooley couple will have a happy ending. Promise.