Beginning of an Adventure

Forgotten Memories

 

If I could fall into the sky

Do you think time would pass me by

'Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles

If I could just see you, tonight

 

 

   Once Jooyoung cleared the immigration, he towed his luggage to the waiting area. He was informed that an official would be waiting for him. Amidst the large crowd of people in the waiting area, Jooyoung managed to spot a small-built, middle-aged man who was holding on to a paper with Jooyoung’s name clearly written on it.

Jooyoung approached the man and he caught the man’s eye.

  “Are… you… Joo… Jooyoung… Kim?” The man asked.

Jooyoung softly smiled, “Yes, I am.”

“Uh… Nice meet you. I Utey,” the man introduced himself in simple English while extended his hand towards Jooyoung.

“Nice to meet you too, Utey,” Jooyoung smiled and shook Utey’s hand firmly.

Without being instructed, Utey reached for Jooyoung’s luggage and gestured him to his car, “Follow. Car.”

Jooyoung nodded and followed him close behind.

~.~

Silence filled the car throughout the whole journey. Jooyoung didn’t mind as he could enjoy the scenery of Siem Reap. Jooyoung felt carefree and relaxed when he stepped into Siem Reap. The slow-paced life gave Jooyoung a different kind of comfort that he could not find in Seoul.

   Jooyoung’s accomodation was half-an-hour away from the airport. Jooyoung would not be staying in a lavish hotel or apartment; he would be staying among the villagers in a community house. Once the car entered the vicinity of Yeung Village, the village where Jooyoung was posted to, the curious and excited village children began to gather around the car. Utey had to drive slower so as to avoid hitting any of the children.

   Jooyoung looked out the car window and he was amazed at the warm welcome he received from the village children. He would occasionally waved at them and they would eagerly waved back. A smile spread across his face.

   They arrived at the community house shortly with the children trailing behind where the village chief and the head mission doctor were awaiting his arrival.

   “Welcome to Yeung Village. I am Arun, the village chief,” Arun patted Jooyoung’s shoulder to welcome his arrival.

   Jooyoung bowed in respect, “I am Jooyoung. Thank you for having me here. I am honoured to be here, in such a wonderful village.”

   “We are really happy to have you. I hope you will enjoy your stay here in Yeung Village.”

   Jooyoung flashed a broad smile in return.

~.~

   After settling down, Jooyoung and the villagers were gathered at the village hall where a welcome party was being held for him. The villagers were welcoming and they appreciated Jooyoung’s presence in the village. Many of the older women in the village showered Jooyoung with compliments as they were fond of him and his good-looking features. Children wanted to play with him.  Jooyoung was swelled with immense happiness and he was certain that he would enjoy his one-month stay in Yeung Village.

   The following day, Jooyoung was given a tour around the village. Many of the villagers recognized him and they did not fail to wave at him. He felt connected with the villagers instantly despite the language barrier.

   After a whole day of touring and being introduced to the different family, Jooyoung finally managed to rest at night. He took that opportunity to call his beloved wife as he was starting to miss her. Jooyoung plopped down on his bed and dialled Hyorin’s number. Hyorin picked up at the first ring.

   “OPPA!” Jooyoung could hear Hyorin’s excited husky squeal from the other line. Jooyoung chuckled in amusement.

   “Do you miss me that much?” Jooyoung rolled over to the other side.

   “Of course I do. It’s really different without you here,” Jooyoung could sense the sadness in Hyorin’s voice.

   “28 more days and I’ll return to that empty spot beside you.”

   “I can’t wait. How’s your trip so far?”

   “It’s awesome. The villagers here love me and I like the atmosphere here. It’s very calm and quiet. I will earn lots of money and then I will bring you and our children to the countryside.”

   Hyorin giggled. Ah, how I miss that giggle.  

   “I will be starting work tomorrow. I am so excited. I hope everything will run smoothly and I will return to you in no time.”

   “I hope so too, oppa. Please stay safe okay? Our baby and I will be patiently waiting for you,” Hyorin said.

   Jooyoung’s mouth curled into a pleasant smile, “I promise. And I will never forget you even if we are far apart. Oh by the way, honey, I’m planning to go for a trek this weekend.”

   “Trek?”

   Jooyoung nodded, “Yes. They have a jungle not far from the village. The villagers usually find herbs in the jungle. I thought that it would be a good experience.”

   “Are you going with anyone?”

   “No, I’m planning to trek alone.”

   “WHAT? Oppa, you do know that it’s dangerous to trek alone,” Hyorin gasped.

   “I have a villager who will show me the right route. They have a certain route so I would not get lost in the jungle. Don’t worry about me. You do know that I like to trek alone,” Jooyoung explained calmly.

   “But… Oppa, it’s still dangerous. You are not familiar with the surroundings. What if something happens to you? Who will be there to help you?”

   “I’m sure it won’t be that dangerous. Furthermore, the villagers are familiar with the route. Hyorin, don’t worry too much about me. Remember the doctor’s advice? You are not supposed to worry too much for the sake of our baby.”

   Hyorin wistfully sighed.

   “I promise I will call you after my trek. I will make sure that I will call you no matter what.”

But, he did not call her after his trek.