Who Am I?

Forgotten Memories

My shadow’s the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart’s the only thing that’s beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

‘Til then I walk alone

   “I won’t give up my fashion designing dream!” Krystal banged the dining table hard with the flat of her hand which startled a few of the elders in the dining room. The Jungs were having their annual family dinner which they invited their relatives all the way from Korea to discuss their family business matters.

 

   Krystal is John and Haeri’s only child and they dote on her. She is known for her stubbornness and her determination. Many of the elders agreed that she resembles her father very closely and they felt that Krystal will be the right person to take over the family business.  However, Krystal who is currently pursuing a fashion designing major in a university in Korea, has no interest in the business.

 

   “Jung Soojung...” John flashed an indignant glance at Krystal.

 

   “You can’t force me to take over the business. I am not interested in the business at all. I want to be a fashion designer. You can jolly well find some other cousins or anyone to take over that position because I WILL NOT DO IT,” Krystal flew into a violent rage before she stormed out of the dining room.

 

   “Jung Soojung!” A furious growl was released from John. Krystal’s snide remarks made his blood boil and he was red with anger.

 

~.~

 

   Krystal stormed her way to her bedroom and cursed under her breath. Appa should stop interfering in my life. He has no rights to determine what I should do in the future.

 

  Krystal passed by a brightly-lit room with a half-closed door. She furrowed her eyebrows. That’s weird. As far as I have known, there is no one staying in this room.

 

   A wave of curiousity struck her. She crouched against the door taking in shallow breaths, careful not to make a sound. Then, she slid in the room swiftly. Once inside, she observed the stale room and noticed a man lying on the queen-sized bed attached to the IV drip.

 

   Who is that man? Curiousity continued to envelope her as she tiptoed towards the bed. He had tousled black hair, which was thick and lustrous. His face was strong and defined despite being pale, his features molded from granite. He had strong arched brows and eyelashes so thick.  

 

   For the first time in Krystal’s life, she was intrigued by the good-looking unknown man. She tried to resist herself from touching his face.

 

   At that moment, Jooyoung’s fingers twitched. Krystal tilted her head in confusion when she noticed the slight movement of Jooyoung’s fingers. Then, Jooyoung slowly opened his eyes and scanned the room. His eyes stopped at Krystal and he furrowed his eyebrows.

 

   “Who are you? Where am I?” Jooyoung croaked.

 

   Krystal immediately shrieked for her mother. John and Haeri rushed in within seconds and scrambled to the bedside.

 

   Haeri panted, “What is it? What-”

 

   Haeri’s attention shifted to the conscious but frail Jooyoung, “You are awake!”

 

   Jooyoung eyed the people and surrounding around him, his brows creased and face tense. Where am I? Why am I here? Who are these people?

 

   “What’s your name, boy?” John asked in a gruff voice.

 

   What’s my name? Why can’t I remember my own name? Why can’t I remember anything at all? All of a sudden, his head began to pound. It would begin slowly then develop into a pain radiating his entire head. Jooyoung clenched his taut jaws and rubbed his temples. Cold sweat was pouring down his face. It felt like a toothache in his brain.

 

   “I… I don’t know,” Jooyoung hissed in pain.

 

   “Haeri, call Doctor Chariya now!” John growled. Without hesitation, Haeri scurried off to get Doctor Chariya. Krystal shuffled to the side; stunned silence.


   Jooyoung’s mind was swirling and his breaths were shallow. The pain took control of him and he felt numb. His visions were blurred and gradually, he began to lose consciousness.