A New Life

Forgotten Memories

 

It's time to begin, isn't it?

I get a little bit bigger but then I'll admit

I'm just the same as I was

Now don't you understand

I'm never changing who I am

 

   “Oppa! Oppa!” The light and husky voice rang in Jooyoung’s ears.

 

   “Who are you? What do you want from me?” Jooyoung swiftly looked around the uncomfortably large empty room to search for the source of that voice.

 

   “Oppa! OPPA!” The voice transformed from a light tone to an aggravated tone. Jooyoung went down on his knees and clasped his hands over his ears. His eyes were round in fright.

 

   “Stop it! Go away!” Jooyoung tearfully begged but the voice kept on ringing in his ears. A horrified moan escaped his throat.

 

~.~

 

   Jooyoung’s eyes flew open. He was shaking uncontrollably and a cold sweat started to run down his forehead.

 

   “He’s awake!” Haeri exclaimed and rushed over to Jooyoung’s side. John who was having a serious conversation with Doctor Chariya quickly joined in as well.

 

   “How are you feeling?” Haeri asked softly while gazing at Jooyoung’s sickly face.

 

   “I’m better,” Jooyoung muttered.

 

   “It would take him some time to regain his memory. I advise the both of you not to give him any unnecessary pressure because it would bring harm to him,” Doctor Chariya explained.

 

   Haeri and John nodded at Doctor Chariya’s explanation.

 

~.~

 

   Jooyoung stared at the ceiling mindlessly and sighed wistfully. There were a lot of questions playing in his mind. Who is he? Where is he? What happened? Why is he here? But these questions remained unanswered as he could not remember anything. These questions were more difficult than a math problem. He wanted to know the answers to the questions but he knew it was impossible.

 

   Haeri quietly entered his room with a tray of porridge and milk and she approached Jooyoung’s bed. Jooyoung was snapped from his trance when he heard Haeri’s small footsteps.

 

   “Ahjumma…”

 

   “I’ve prepared porridge for you since you are hungry,” Haeri carefully placed the tray on the bedside table and lifted up the bowl of porridge.

 

   “Thank you, ahjumma,” Jooyoung flashed a tiny smile. He slowly raised himself up to a sitting position and Haeri handed him the bowl of porridge.

 

   “Be careful. The bowl is hot,” Haeri cautioned him.

 

   Jooyoung nodded and cautiously gripped the bowl. He then began to feed himself slowly. Relief filled Haeri’s heart when she watched Jooyoung having a meal.

 

   “You reminded me of my son,” Haeri smiled in content.

 

   Jooyoung glanced at Haeri, “Ahjumma has a son? I’ve never seen him before.”

 

   Haeri remained silent for a while before she broke into a sad smile, “Alex passed away 7 years ago due to a car accident.”

 

   “I’m sorry, ahjumma.”

 

   Haeri shook her head and smiled, “It’s fine. There’s nothing that I can do about it.”

 

   A deafening silence filled the air momentarily until Haeri broke the silence, “Can I call you Alex?”

 

   Jooyoung’s eyes flickered in surprise when he heard the unexpected request from Haeri.

 

   “Since you lost your memory and you can’t recall your name, can I name you Alex until you regain your memory?”

 

   “Sure ahjumma,” Jooyoung answered without hesitation.

 

   “You can call me umma since I’ll be your mother from now on.”

 

   Jooyoung nodded, “Umma…”

 

~.~

 

   “This is absurd!” John uttered a furious growl.

 

   Charles who was standing stiffly in front of John’s office table, jumped when John slammed the table. The atmosphere of tension in the dim and windowless office made Charles jittery.

 

   “He… He said that he has to find another job to support his family,” Charles said in a muffled tone.

 

   “Have we not given him enough?” John menacing glare made Charles’ knees quivered. Charles remained silent.

 

   “Get rid of him. We’ll find a new bodyguard for my daughter,” John said through clenched teeth.

 

   “But…” Charles began to protest.

 

   “Have you forgotten, Charles? No one leaves the Jung clan unless you are dead. He obviously forgets about that and now he has to pay the price.”

 

   Charles hesitated.

 

   “Do you want to share the same fate as him, Charles?” John raised his brows at him.

 

   Charles immediately shook his head.

 

   “Then, do what I asked you to do!” John barked.

 

   Charles shuffled back a few steps, “But… Who will be Krystal agassi’s bodyguard?”

 

   John haughtily pointed his nose in the air and grinned, “I already have someone in mind.”

 

~.~

 

  “Me? As your daughter’s bodyguard?” Jooyoung gaped.

 

  John nodded and flashed a broad grin.

 

  “But… Why me?”

 

  “Alex, I can see that you have the potential to be one and my wife likes you very much. Furthermore, since you are staying with us now, you will be given a new life here. Start afresh, who knows this might help you to recover your memory slowly?”

 

   Jooyoung remained silent.

 

   John placed his hand on Jooyoung’s shoulder, “Don’t think too much about this, Alex. Just accept my offer. I promise you will have a good life after this.”


   Jooyoung was lost in thoughts. Should I accept this offer?