A Year Has Passed

Forgotten Memories

 

The beautiful stories we wrote down then

The promises of forever we prayed then

All come back to me one by one

I knew my heart wouldn’t be able to take this

For you, I held it back even more

So how was your year?

 

   Day after day, week after week and month after month, Hyorin never stop waiting for Jooyoung’s return. Six months after Jooyoung’s disappearance, the authorities presumed him dead as there were no sign of his whereabouts. In other words, they had given up on him. However, Hyorin refused to believe that he was dead until they found his body or any evidence regarding his death. Hyorin believed that he would return one day and she would patiently wait for him. In a blink of an eye, it has been a year since Jooyoung’s disappearance.

 

   Many had happened throughout the year. Hyorin gave birth to a healthy baby boy and she named him Kim Seojoon. Seojoon brings joy to Hyorin’s life despite losing Jooyoung. In addition, Seojoon looks a lot like his father whom Hyorin misses so much. As promised, Shownu stayed by Hyorin’s side and took good care of her and Seojoon. Shownu treated Seojoon like his own child and he showered him with love. As a result, Hyorin felt indebted towards Shownu as he has been helping her throughout her tough times.

 

   In the meantime, Jooyoung has undergone many changes in a year as well. He got himself a tattoo on his right arm which symbolized strength. He also has gotten closer to the Jungs, particularly Krystal and he enjoyed staying with them. He treated them just like his own family.

 

   Unfortunately, he still could not regain his memory. He tried to recall anything but it caused him a terrible migraine. In the end, he decided to give up and lived his current life. In spite of that, he was constantly bothered by a repetitive dream of a woman’s voice. He could not decipher the owner of the voice and he was deeply affected by it. However, he could not tell anyone about his dreams.

 

   As for Krystal, she was still pursuing her fashion design major. John decided to sponsor her education and her future fashion designing career fully if only Krystal agreed to take over their family business in Korea. Since Krystal wanted the sponsorship badly, she reluctantly accepted the offer to become the CEO of Jung Goo Corporation, their family business.

 

   Krystal has been travelling to Korea and Cambodia back and forth in order to handle the business. Jooyoung, Krystal’s personal bodyguard was not required to tag along as John claimed that there were other people taking care of her overseas. Recently, John urged Jooyoung to follow Krystal along and when Jooyoung asked for the reason, John immediately gave an excuse of an extra precaution. Jooyoung thought something was fishy but he decided to take no notice. Krystal, on the other hand, was elated when she found out that Jooyoung was finally following her to Korea. She said that she could flaunt her good-looking bodyguard to her friends in Korea.

 

   Hence, after a year, Jooyoung finally returned to Korea. He felt foreign in his own homeland and he could not recognize anything or anyone there. Since both Jooyoung and Krystal were in Korea, Krystal decided to bring Jooyoung around like a tour guide.

 

   They decided to visit a park not far from Krystal’s residence. Jooyoung and Krystal stopped in front of the lake. Children’s laughter and screams could be heard from the distance and also the occasional barking from the pet dogs. They decided to take a seat at a bench overlooking the lake. Jooyoung’s eyes dropped to the water, fascinated by the swimming ducks.

 

   “Doesn’t this remind you of our first outing?” Krystal’s voice snapped Jooyoung from his daydream.

 

   “Angkor Wat?”

 

   Krystal nodded.

 

   Jooyoung rubbed his nape and gave a lopsided grin, “Kind of, except that instead of the temples, we are overlooking the skyscrapers.”

 

   Krystal gave a hearty laugh at Jooyoung’s comment, “Yes that obviously. And I would also like to think that is a date, just like our Angkor Wat trip.”

 

   “A date?” Jooyoung chuckled.

 

   “Don’t you think so? Just the two of us… Looking at the scenery. Isn’t it romantic?” Krystal’s face was animated with excitement.

 

   Jooyoung remained silent and gave Krystal a quick glance.

 

   “I’ve always wanted to go on a date with someone. I’ve always imagined that when I’m in a date, I will take a stroll in the park, hand-in-hand with my date and then, we’ll eat ice-cream…” Krystal babbled away happily.

 

   Jooyoung just smiled hearing Krystal’s description of her dream date and fixed his eyes on the ducks. Jooyoung began to drift off as he was deep in thoughts; not hearing what Krystal was saying. Why do I have this feeling that I’ve been here before?

 

   “Oppa, are you listening to me?” Krystal gently poked Jooyoung’s waist.

 

   Jooyoung jerked a little, “Yeah, of course I do.”

 

   Krystal raised her brows, “I don’t think you do. You were in deep thoughts, am I right? What are you thinking about, oppa?”

 

   “Nothing,” Jooyoung grinned and decided to change the topic, “Let’s have ice-cream.”

 

   Krystal’s eyes lit up in anticipation, “Really?”

 

   Jooyoung nodded, “Since you said that we are on a date and ice-cream is a must right?”

 

   “That’s why I love you, Alex oppa,” Krystal squealed and hugged him.

 

   Jooyoung laughed and pulled away from her embrace. He then ruffled her hair, “Let’s go, Princess Krystal. Your ice-cream is patiently waiting for you.”

 

   Krystal giggled and tugged Jooyoung along by his arm. Both of them then walked off to find the ice-cream van. Moments after they left the spot, Hyorin and Shownu walked towards the same spot. Hyorin pushed along a baby stroller where Seojoon was gesticulating around in excitement as it was his first time going to the park. Passers-by might mistake them as a family.

 

   “Let’s take a break here,” Shownu suggested. Hyorin nodded along and took a seat beside Shownu. She then held Seojoon in her arms and watched the scenery.

 

   “Let me hold Seojoon for a while,” Shownu offered while extending his arms. Without hesitation, Hyorin gently handed Seojoon over to Shownu. Shownu held Seojoon naturally and occasionally teased Seojoon which made Seojoon break into a fit of giggles. Hyorin smiled watching the interaction between them.

 

   “I usually come here with Jooyoung oppa. This was where we had our first date,” Hyorin reminisced.

 

   Shownu smiled bitterly and remained silent.

 

   “I can’t believe it’s been a year since I lost him.”

 

   Shownu cleared his throat and changed the topic, “I heard that you got the job. When will you start working?”

 

   “The day after tomorrow.”

 

   “Who will take care of Seojoon?”

 

   “My mum volunteered to take care of him and then, I’ll pick him up after work,” Hyorin held Seojoon’s tiny fingers and smiled.

 

   “I wish I can help you to take care of him but I’m working as well,” Shownu gave a sheepish smile.

 

   “It’s fine, Shownu. You’ve helped me a lot even before Seojoon was born. Besides that, you have an exhibition coming up right? Isn’t it your debut exhibition as a designer? I want you to do your best so don’t worry about me,” Hyorin smiled.

 

   Shownu drew a sharp breath and reluctantly nodded, “Alright then. But I’ll still drop by to visit you and Seojoon since I treat Seojoon just like my son.”

 

   “Alright, Son Hyunwoo-sshi,” Hyorin chuckled.


   The three of them stayed there until the glorious sun dimmed its light.

 

~.~

Author's note: What would happen if Hyorin and Shownu actually bumped into Jooyoung and Krystal? Share your thoughts in the comments section :)