The Inevitable Phone Call

Forgotten Memories

 

Where are you?

Do you know my heart?

I miss you (In a place I can’t see you again)

I shout to the night sky, hello.

 

   Hyorin knew that Jooyoung would always be late one whenever they went out for a date. And every single time Jooyoung was late, he would compensate by showering Hyorin with love and compliments. Hyorin knew his tactics and she decided to take it with a pinch of salt.

   He promised he would call her after his trek. Somehow, Hyorin expected Jooyoung to call her later than that and she anticipated his parade of compliments. She felt that she really need those compliments at that moment.

   The clear blue sky was replaced with the vast expanse of jet-black sky. Hyorin was bubbled with excitement as she was certain that her handphone will ring anytime from now. She figured that he would return from his trekking adventure by then.

   The time was ticking away; it was already past midnight. Hyorin recklessly hurled her phone on the bed.

   Why isn’t he calling? Did he forget to call? Probably he’s tired from the trek and he wanted to have a rest. But he promised that he would call, Hyorin pondered. Even if she tried to convince herself that Jooyoung was probably exhausted from the trek, she could not help but felt a slight pang of disappointment.

   Hyorin fell asleep that night with the hopes that her beloved husband would give her a call the following day.

~.~

   A blinding white flash seared across the morning sky and rain came lashing down. Hyorin groggily reached for her phone to check whether she received any missed call. She blew a raspberry when she realized that she did not receive any.

   Hyorin spent the rest of the day, feeling lifeless as she yearned for Jooyoung to call her. But he didn’t. It wasn’t until 3-o'clock in the evening when she received the call.

   Hyorin was mindlessly switching the television channels as her mind could only think of Jooyoung. A sudden succession of shrill rings cut the silence. Hyorin was snapped from her reverie and without hesitation, she hastily picked it up.

   “Hello…” Hyorin exhaled.

   “Is this Mrs. Kim? Kim Jooyoung’s wife?” A deep booming voice could be heard from the other line.

   Hyorin’s heart pounded in anxiety, “Yes I am. Who is this?”

   “I am Dr. Shin, the head mission doctor in the village your husband is posted to.”

   A deafening silence filled the air.

   “Mrs. Kim, I hope you would stay strong after hearing this news.” The air was full of suspense. Hyorin held her breath and she did not want the unexpected to happen.

   “Mrs. Kim, your husband… He… He went missing while trekking at the jungle.”

   A current of shock raced up Hyorin’s spine. Her mind went blank and her whole body was stiff with horror. Her ears seemed to block Dr. Shin’s words following the news of her husband’s disappearance. She unconsciously dropped her handphone and she uttered a sick cry.

   Hyorin knew that she would not receive the compliments that she needed and she regretted not to take the compliments seriously before.