Lost & Found

Forgotten Memories

 

 

   The menacing grey clouds were finally defeated by the evening sky. Dusk was falling and it stopped raining.

 

   Jung Minseok, or commonly known as John Jung is a successful and rich businessman who based his business in Siem Reap, Cambodia. His company provides importation and exportation of goods to the other parts of the world.

 

   On that fateful day, John and four of his men were on their way to their hidden base camp in the jungle. One of his Cambodian men, Khean noticed a figure on the foot of a ridge. He stopped on his tracks and frantically pointed at the figure. John and the other three men stopped walking as well.

 

   “What is it, Khean?” John snidely asked Khean in khmer, Cambodia’s official language.

 

   “There is something at the foot of the ridge,” Khean continued to point towards that direction.

 

   John frowned, “It’s nothing, Khean. Let’s go.”

 

   John and the other three men started walking. The curious Khean decided to find out what was the figure. He cautiously glided down the ridge. Once he reached the foot of the ridge, his eyes widened in shock when he saw a motionless and pale body lying on the ground. It was Jooyoung. He turned around and shouted for his boss and friends.

 

   “There’s someone here!” Khean shrieked. John and the other three men scrambled to Khean’s direction.

 

   Khean quickly checked for Jooyoung’s pulse and asserted, “He’s still alive!”

 

   John furrowed his eyebrows, “Bring him to the base camp. We’ll see what we can do afterwards.”

 

   The other three men glided down the ridge and helped Khean to bring Jooyoung up the ridge. Leaving his backpack at the foot of the ridge, they made their way to the base camp.

 

~.~

 

   The long shadows of the evening dissolved into the gathering darkness of the night time and the crickets sang. The air was heavy and the intense atmosphere filled the rundown village hall. Dr. Shin was pacing up and down while in deep thoughts.

 

   “We will send our villagers early in the morning tomorrow to search for Dr. Kim,” Arun, the village chief suggested.

 

   Dr. Shin looked at Arun in disbelief, “Are you crazy? We have to find him as soon as possible. He might… die if we don’t hurry.”

 

   “I understand that you want to rescue Dr. Kim. All of us would like to, as well. But it is risky for the villagers to enter the jungle at night. We have to wait until the morning.”

 

   Dr. Shin rubbed his temples and sighed, “I should not have let him wander alone. What am I going to tell his wife?”

 

~.~

 

   Once John and his men arrived at the makeshift base camp, they immediately placed Jooyoung on a long wooden table. Coincidentally, John’s associate Charles Lee was stationed at the base camp. Charles had prior medical knowledge as he used to study in a medical school.

 

   Charles removed his reading spectacles and stared at them open mouthed; taken aback by what they had brought back to the base camp.

 

   “We found this unconscious boy earlier. He’s still alive. Do whatever you can, Charles,” John instructed.

 

   Charles nodded once he recovered from his shock. He slowly approached the motionless Jooyoung and began his inspection. He cleaned the wound on the back of his head and wrapped bandage around his head.

 

   “I think you need to send this boy to the hospital. I do not have the proper equipments to check if he has any internal bleeding. But I’ve stopped the bleeding,” Charles explained.

 

   “This boy could be dead by tomorrow morning if you have not found him. He looks like a Korean, like one of us.”

 

   “I’ll bring him home and I’ll ask Doctor Chariya to come over and inspect him. I’m sure she knows what to do,” John said.

 

   John ordered his men to bring him out of the jungle and into his car. He then drove off and brought him to his house.

 

~.~

 

   John’s car entered into his residence compound. It was a mansion, ornate in it’s architecture and splendid in it’s gardens. The walls were a white stone and the roof was grey slate. The sculptures in front of the mansion greeted their owner with their majestic outlook.

 

   Once they reached the front entrance of the mansion, John ordered his men to bring Jooyoung to one of the empty rooms in the mansion. He also called Doctor Chariya over immediately. Haeri, John’s wife, who realized the arrival of her husband, scrambled to the front door. She was puzzled at the sight of the unconscious Jooyoung.

 

   “Haeri, follow the boys and help me to take care of this boy.” John ordered authoritatively.

 

   Haeri timidly nodded and followed them close behind.

 

~.~

 

   Doctor Chariya conducted a thorough inspection of Jooyoung after she arrived at the mansion shortly after. John and Haeri patiently waited outside the room.

 

   “Honey, who is that boy?” Haeri questioned carefully.

 

   John shot Haeri a disapproving look which silenced Haeri.


   Before long, Doctor Chariya exited the room and approached John and Haeri. Doctor Chariya explained to the both of them in khmer, “I’ve conducted a check and thankfully, there isn’t any internal bleeding. He will be unconscious for a few days but he will be fine soon.”