A Date With You

Forgotten Memories

 

 

So don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me

Cause you might mess around and find your dreams come true with me

Spend all your time and your money just to find out that my love was free


   Hyorin applied her lipstick before checking her reflection in the mirror. She brushed off non-existent dust on her blue silk cocktail dress. Black strands of hair cascaded down her back. Hyorin’s mother who was holding on to Seojoon, peeked into the room.

 

   Hyorin flashed a bright smile the moment she noticed her mother and her son, “Umma, thank you for coming down to babysit Seojoon.”

 

   “You know I would do anything for my grandson. What time will Shownu come and pick you up?” Her mother asked.

 

   Hyorin checked her watch, “About 7pm. Ah, I better get my things ready.”

 

   At that moment, the apartment’s doorbell rang. “That must be Shownu. I’ll get it,” Hyorin’s mother rushed over to the door.

 

   Hyorin put on her earstuds and a small heart necklace as final touches. She was about to reach for her wedding ring but she hesitated. She shook her head and decided not to put on her wedding ring for tonight. She exited her bedroom once she grabbed her evening clutch.

 

   The moment Hyorin stepped out of her bedroom, Shownu fixed her with a captivated stare. “You… You look beautiful,” Shownu stammered. Hyorin could feel the heat growing on her cheeks.

 

   “Let’s go, Kim Hyorin,” Shownu offered his arm in which Hyorin reluctantly took.

 

~.~

 

  Shownu pulled over in front of a posh restaurant. Hyorin observed the surrounding of the restaurant in awe, “Wow, that looks like an expensive restaurant.”

 

   “It’s a date. I want to bring you to nice  places for our dates,” Shownu reached over to unbuckle Hyorin’s seatbelt. Hyorin moved back slightly.

 

   “Let’s go. I’ve reserved a table for us. We shall eat good food today,” Shownu smiled and exited his car. He then walked over to the passenger seat and opened the door for her. Hyorin muttered a thank you. The both of them then headed to the restaurant.

 

   “I’ve made reservations for a table of two,” Shownu told the waitress. Without hesitation, the waitress led the both of them to a table located near the delicate live piano music area.

 

   “What’s the big occasion?” Hyorin asked as Shownu helped her to get seated before he sat down opposite her.

 

   “I just want to have a very nice dinner with you,” Shownu smiled brightly at her.

 

   Hyorin raised her eyebrows and chuckled, “Come on, spill it. I know something is up.”

 

   The waitress returned with the menu causing the both of them to stop their conversation abruptly, “Our special for today is rib-eye steak with basil hollandaise.”

 

   After browsing the menu, Hyorin and Shownu settled with the restaurant’s special and champagne. The waitress walked off after taking their order.

 

   “So Shownu, tell me, why are you treating me to such a posh meal?” Hyorin propped her arms on the table and rested her chin on her knuckles.

 

   Shownu appeared slightly flustered, “I told you, I just want to have a very nice dinner with you.”

 

   “I don’t believe you,” Hyorin gave him an amused smile.

 

   “I’ll let you know after our meal,” Shownu simply said.

 

   “Is it because of your successful first exhibition?” Hyorin asked.

 

   Shownu tapped his chin, “Something bigger than this.”

 

   “You’ve gotten yourself a girlfriend?” Hyorin made a wild guess.

 

   “What? No!” Shownu gave a hearty laugh.

 

   “Then, what is it?” Hyorin puckered her lips.

 

   “I will tell you after our meal. Really.”

 

   “You are no fun.”

 

   Once their meal arrived at their table, they began digging in. Light piano music filled the restaurant, adding in an intimate atmosphere among them. They had small conversations of how delicious the steak was and also conversations on their work while they had dinner. That was when Shownu noticed something missing on Hyorin’s fingers. He wanted to ask about it but he dared not to ruin their date because of that.  

 

   “So, tell me, what’s the big occasion?” Hyorin immediately asked after they were done with their steak.

 

   “I can’t tell you here,” Shownu sipped his champagne and tried his best not to show his shaking self.

 

   “But you said…”

 

   “Let’s take a short stroll at the nearby garden. The air is nice outside to take a stroll,” Shownu intercepted. Hyorin reluctantly agreed.

 

~.~

 

   Shownu casually reached for Hyorin’s hand once they stepped out of the restaurant which took Hyorin by surprise. Hyorin who did not want to ruin the date for Shownu let him be. They slowly made their way to a garden behind the restaurant, hand in hand.

 

   “I didn’t know they have a garden here,” Hyorin observed the garden. Lining the perfect lawn were cherry blossom trees that were decorated with Christmas lights which illuminated the whole garden. In the centre, there was a pond as large as a tiny lake with flowering lily pads and a wooden bridge that crossed the middle with the koi carps swimming under.

 

   “It’s a private garden owned by the restaurant,” Shownu explained.

 

   “Then, how did you get access to this garden?”

 

   “My family owned this restaurant,” Shownu nodded.

 

   Hyorin widened her eyes, “Seriously?”

 

   Shownu smiled and nodded again. He then led Hyorin to a bench overlooking the pond. Hyorin was trying to register a fact about Shownu that she did not know previously.

 

   “I’ll get more champagne for us. Wait for me here alright?” Shownu released Hyorin’s hand and continued, “Don’t run away, alright?”

 

   Hyorin nodded slowly. Shownu immediately ran back to the restaurant, leaving Hyorin alone for a moment to enjoy the tranquility of the garden.

 

   Out of a sudden, soft music began to play from Hyorin’s right. Hyorin squinted to find the source of the music and she found a speaker hidden in between the cherry blossom trees.

 

  “They even have a speaker in the garden? Wow that’s amazing,” Hyorin chuckled.

 

   Then, someone started singing. Hyorin diverted her attention to the source voice.