Knight in Shining Armour

Forgotten Memories

 

   Why do I feel like I’ve heard that voice before? It sounds very familiar. That’s right, it’s that voice which keeps on bothering me in my dreams almost every night. Who is she and why does her voice appear in my dreams? Was she someone I knew? Jooyoung frowned and was in deep thoughts. The more Jooyoung tried to recall, the more his head started to throb. Jooyoung groaned and rubbed his temples. Krystal who was walking along beside him immediately turned to him.

 

   “Alex oppa? What’s wrong?” Krystal looked at him with a worried expression.

 

   Jooyoung gave her a reassuring smile and shook his head, “Nothing’s wrong. I’m just slightly tired, that’s all. Where’s the neighbourhood store you were finding?”

 

   “We just have to keep walking straight and it’s right at the end of the street,” Krystal pointed ahead. The quiet and derelict alley was bathed in pools of yellow light from the street lamps. There were barely anyone walking around.

 

   “Are you sure we are in the right place?” Jooyoung scanned the two-storey houses lined along that street and it seemed like everyone was at home, judging from the lights seen coming from the houses.

 

   “Of course we are. This was where I lived when I was young. I knew my favourite convenient store was here,” Krystal said confidently.

 

   “We should probably head home now. Probably your convenient store has closed for today.”

 

   Krystal stopped on her tracks and smirked, “Alex oppa, don’t tell me you are afraid to be here?”  

 

   “Wha… What? No, that’s not what I meant,” Jooyoung stammered.

 

   “Oppa, stop being a wimp and just trust me,” Krystal reached for Jooyoung’s hand for comfort.

 

   “I’m your bodyguard and I’m the one who is supposed to protect you,” Jooyoung chuckled. At that moment, Jooyoung heard a faint sound of footsteps coming from behind. Jooyoung instantaneously turned back to see the source of the sound. That was probably passers-by or residents who lived here, he shrugged nonchalantly. Once he faced the front, he noticed that Krystal was ahead of him.

 

   “Krystal, wait for me!” Jooyoung called out and quickened his pace to catch up with Krystal. Out of a sudden, a burly man grabbed Krystal by the shoulders and a horrified moan escaped Krystal’s throat. She struggled to break out of his strong grip but it seemed like the man overpowered her and gripped on to her tightly.

 

   “Hey! Get off her!” Jooyoung dashed towards that man and grabbed his waist. The man who was bigger than Jooyoung pushed him aside. Then, another man, who appeared from the side threw a punch at Jooyoung which made him tumble to the ground.

 

   “Oppa!!” Krystal screamed hysterically while still trying to struggle out of the man’s grasp. The other man pinned Jooyoung down and punched his face.

 

   “Oppa!” Krystal uttered a sick cry, causing the man to cover from screaming. Krystal kicked around in hopes of being freed but the man tightened his grasp. Jooyoung groaned in pain and he felt helpless. His tongue was soaked in the taste of blood.

 

   Coincidentally, Shownu was around that area. He was on his way home when he heard a scream coming from one of the streets. Being curious, he decided to investigate. He was shocked to see a big burly man gripping on a struggling Krystal and another man repeatedly punched a helpless Jooyoung. Without hesitation, he immediately rushed over and yanked the man who was beating up Jooyoung. Then, he threw a punch at him which caused him to topple and fell to the side.

 

   Without waiting for that man to retaliate, he gave him a kick on his stomach and another a few seconds later. While Shownu was in a battering with the man, Jooyoung wept his bloody lips and gathered all his strength to get up. He then staggered to the man who was gripping on to Krystal and sloppily pushed him away. The man released Krystal from his grip and shifted his attention to Jooyoung. He cracked his knuckles; signalling that he was ready to fight.

 

   Jooyoung’s fist slammed into the man’s face while he sunk into Jooyoung’s stomach. Blood pooled in his mouth. They stumbled apart for a moment to catch their breaths before diving back at each other. Krystal watched in horror as the two men fight.

 

   Jooyoung dodged the man’s fist and Jooyoung took that opportunity to grasp the man’s head in his hands and brought his knee cap up to his nose; there was a blunt crack and Jooyoung released his head. The man lost his balance and tumbled to the ground. Once Jooyoung’s opponent was on the ground, he immediately threw a kick at him causing the man to roll over in pain. Jooyoung crouched over and grabbed his collar; his eyes narrowed in frustration.

 

   He was about to throw another punch when the man suddenly gave an evil cackle.

 

   Jooyoung loosen his grip and hissed, “What do you want from us?”

 

   “The end of all of you,” the man chuckled weakly.

 

   Jooyoung tightened his grip, “What do you mean?”

 

   “My boss… Wants to give all of you, especially John Jung, a warning.”

 

   “What warning? Who’s your boss?” Jooyoung frowned.

 

   “He will take over… Everything.”

 

   “What are you talking about?”

 

   “He… will destroy every…. single… one… of… you,” the man emphasized the last few words that he spoke and he ended with a chilling menacing laugh.  

 

   “You son of a-” Jooyoung growled and punched his face repeatedly which knocked the man out. Shownu had to stop Jooyoung from killing the man when he noticed that the man was unconscious.

 

   “Hey, that’s enough. You might kill him,” Shownu held Jooyoung back who was in a fit of fury. Krystal rushed over to Jooyoung and threw herself in Jooyoung’s arms.

 

   “Oppa…” Krystal sobbed. Jooyoung exhaled and calmed down.

 

   “It’s okay, Krystal. Everything is fine now. No one is going to hurt you anymore,” Jooyoung whispered and her hair.

 

   Krystal looked up and brushed a finger on Jooyoung’s cheek which caused him to twitch, “You are injured because of me.”

 

   “I’m okay. Let’s go home,” Jooyoung flashed a tiny smile. He then shifted his attention to Shownu who was awkwardly standing near them, “Thanks for helping.”

 

   Shownu flashed a tiny smile and nodded in acknowledgment. Before Jooyoung could ask any further questions, Shownu walked off; leaving Jooyoung totally flabbergasted. Krystal did not seem to mind Shownu.

 

   “Come over to my place, alright? I have an empty room so you can sleep over,” Krystal suggested while fixing her eyes on Jooyoung’s bruised face.

 

   Jooyoung gently shook his head, “You don’t have to.”

 

   “Please, oppa. Just for tonight. After what happened earlier, I’m still afraid to stay in that empty apartment alone,” Krystal pleaded.


   Jooyoung thought for awhile and sighed softly, “Alright, I will stay over. But just for tonight.”