Love Blossoms Part 1

Forgotten Memories

 

Did I fall in love because I’m pretty?

Or did I get pretty because I fell in love?

 

   As days went by, Jooyoung showed signs of recovery as Haeri took good care of him. Within a week, he could get back on his feet and led a normal life. Unfortunately, he was still unable to regain his memory.

 

   After much consideration, he finally accepted John’s offer as Krystal’s personal bodyguard. He felt that this would be a good opportunity for him to start anew. Furthermore, he liked staying in that household and he did not want to be a freerider by staying there for free. By accepting this offer, he could possibly repay the kindness of those who saved his life.

 

   Jooyoung stood in front of the mirror; staring intently at his reflection. His beautifully cut suit which was provided by John was neat pressed. His previously tousled hair was combed back and held in place with a gel. The housekeeper gave a gentle knock on his door.

 

   “Alex-sshi, master would like to see you now,” the housekeeper said.

 

~.~

 

   Jooyoung stood behind John stiffly and he fiddled with his fingers in anxiety. He scanned the enormous room which was like a perfect magazine cover. The walls were cream and there were picture frames hanging on the wall. The white curtains were linen, the kind of white that was untouched by hands and devoid of dust. The furniture was modernized, sprinkled with vibrant cushions. At a corner, Jooyoung could see a work space and several mannequins.  

 

   “Krystal, appa has a surprise for you,” John said.

 

   “What is it, appa?” Krystal curtly said while she was engrossed with her magazine.

 

   “I have a new bodyguard for you.”

 

  Krystal instantly looked up from her magazine and her eyes lit up in anticipation, “Alex oppa.”

 

   “Alex has accepted to be your bodyguard,” John grinned and patted Jooyoung’s back. Jooyoung bowed and gave a tiny smile.

 

   “Then, what about Uncle- Oh, nevermind. I don’t mind having Alex oppa around,” Krystal beamed with delight.

 

   “Be good to him. I don’t want to hear any troubles from you,” John warned.

 

   Krystal giggled, “Yes, appa!”

 

~.~

 

   Krystal and Jooyoung got along quickly. Krystal truly enjoyed Jooyoung’s company and Jooyoung felt comfortable around Krystal. John and Haeri treated Jooyoung well and he regarded them as his own family.

 

   A month later, Krystal decided to bring Jooyoung for an outing. Krystal stepped into the enormous and magnificent Angkor Wat temple, with Jooyoung following close behind.

 

   “Welcome to Angkor Wat, oppa. This is where I usually find a peace of mind or inspiration for my assignments,” Krystal gesticulated around.

 

   Jooyoung looked around the grand “temple city”. The religious monument is visually, architecturally and artistically breath-taking. Jooyoung approached the interior walls of the temple and examined the carvings on the walls.

 

   Krystal discreetly stood beside him, “Apparently, there are stories in every carvings. It’s amazing how these stories stay even after hundreds and thousands of years. It feels like the memories from the past never disappear. They will always be remembered for a long, long time.”

 

   Jooyoung remained silent and examined the carvings closely. He did not realize that Krystal signalled him to move on to the next area. He immediately caught up with her.

 

   “Krystal, do you know if I have anything that I left behind when your dad found me?” Jooyoung asked.

 

   “I don’t know. Why?” Krystal began climbing the steep stairs steadily to one of the towers.

 

   “I was thinking about what you said about the carvings. Probably there are things that might help me to regain my memory? A picture or any valuable items? They are like the carvings on the walls, the memories behind these items may never disappear,” Jooyoung gasped for air occasionally while climbing the steep stairs.

 

   “Oppa, why do you want to regain your memory so bad? Aren’t you satisfied with your life right now?” Krystal increased her speed, leaving Jooyoung behind.

 

   Jooyoung was taken aback by Krystal’s reaction and he struggled to catch up with Krystal’s speed, “Krystal, wait for me.”

 

~.~

 

   The sun poured out its brilliant hot oranges and reds into the cloud like a pot of molten lava. The sun was sinking fast; as if it was hiding behind the temples. The shadows of the temples were reflected on the lake which was as flat as any mirror. It lay without a ripple as if time itself had been frozen.

 

   Krystal took a seat at a nearby rock, overlooking the stunning scenery of Angkor Wat. Jooyoung also took a seat beside her.

 

   “Thanks for going out with me today, Alex oppa. I’ve never been here with anyone before except for my parents,” Krystal watched the scenery with an unwavering gaze.

 

   Jooyoung rubbed his nape, “Well, that’s what bodyguards are for.”

 

   Krystal shifted her gaze towards Jooyoung which made Jooyoung flabbergasted, “I hope we can continue to have outings like this in the future.”

 

   “Yeah, that would be fun,” Jooyoung smiled and looked away.

 

   “Oppa…” Krystal continued to gaze at him.  

 

   “Hmm?” Jooyoung gave a quick glance.

 

   “If you ever regain your memory, will you still remember me?” Krystal asked softly.

 

   Jooyoung drew a sharp breath, “Of course I will. I won’t forget you.”

 

  “Thank you, oppa,” A bright smile spread across Krystal’s face and she gave Jooyoung a quick peck on his cheek. Jooyoung’s  brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that he was surprised at Krystal’s sudden move. Somehow, he felt that it was wrong for him to be there with Krystal but he did not understand why.

 

   Jooyoung scrambled to his feet, “Krystal, we should probably go. It’s already late. Your dad must be waiting for you at home.”

 

   Krystal sighed wistfully, “I wish I could spend more time with you here.”

 

   “I’m sorry, Krystal but I’m following your dad’s order. You have to reach home by 8pm.”

 

   “Appa and his curfew,” Krystal mumbled.

 

   Jooyoung flashed a toothless grin, “Shall we go now, Miss Jung?”


   Krystal grabbed Jooyoung’s hand and smiled, “Yes we shall.”