The Farewell

Forgotten Memories

 

In a bullet proof vest with the windows all closed

I'll be doing my best

I'll see you soon

In a telescope lens when all you want is friends

I'll see you soon

 

  “Good morning passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 67A to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you.” The echoes of the airport announcement filled the bustling and vibrant Incheon International Airport.

There was an abundant of travellers of various backgrounds and nationalities with baggage in tow in the brightly lit and exquisitely decorated airport, some standing in queue before check-in counters while others proceeding towards the ever congested departure gate to catch their flight.  The voices of the young and old could be heard, their tones subdued with the anticipation of separation with their loved ones or eager to be leaving for vacation.

“Well, I guess it’s time for you to go now,” Kim Hyorin softly sighed. She could barely hide her disappointment. Kim Jooyoung quietly pulled Hyorin into his muscular arms and gave her a warm embrace.

Dr. Kim Jooyoung, a general practitioner based in Seoul was invited to a mission trip organised by a group of Korean mission doctors. It has been his ambition to travel to the developing countries and utilize his expertise to assist those in need of medical attention. At long last, he was granted that opportunity to fulfill his ambition.

However, this opportunity comes at a price. He has to be separated with his two-month pregnant wife, Hyorin for a month. He was hesitant to accept this once in a lifetime opportunity initially but with his wife and friends’ encouragement, he decided to join in the mission trip.

“Are you sure you can manage without me for a month? Will you be alright? I can cancel the trip if you want,” Jooyoung whispered and breathed in the sweet scent of Hyorin’s silky hair.

Hyorin gently pulled away from his embrace and reached out for his hands, “This mission trip is the only chance for you to fulfill your dream. Go for it. Don’t worry about me.”

Jooyoung exhaled and gave Hyorin a long kiss on her forehead. Verily, he could not bear to leave his wife alone. She was in the early stage of pregnancy which is the most critical and he knew that she needed all the support from him but he chose to participate in the mission trip. This would be the first time he would be apart from his wife after the both of them tied the knot a year ago. Hyorin blinked back the tears as she wanted her husband to be reassured that she would do just fine for the next month.

“Hyorin, promise me you will take good care of yourself, of our baby,” Jooyoung gently placed his palm on Hyorin’s stomach, “Promise me you will avoid any dangerous activities. Promise me you will eat well. I promise I will call you once I have the chance to. I promise I will return to you and our baby in a month’s time.”

Hyorin can only manage a nod as she tried to choke back her tears. Jooyoung hugged her again, “I love you, Kim Hyorin. I will always do.”

“I love you too, oppa. Take good care of yourself,” Hyorin whispered.

Jooyoung gave Hyorin a final kiss on her lips before making his way to the departure gate. Hyorin watched him solemnly. Jooyoung turned back and waved at Hyorin one last time before he was lost in the crowd of busy travellers.

~.~

The glorious sun dimmed its light and the sky was pink and orange over the landscape of Siem Reap. Jooyoung was glowing with excitement, like a child who received his favourite toy car, when he peered out the plane. The discomfort faced in the excruciating 6-hours flight seemed to disappear when Jooyoung noticed the lush green meadow and tiny houses plotted on the land.

Welcome to Siem Reap, Kim Jooyoung. Jooyoung continued to admire the scenery in awe while anticipating for the plane to land.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will be reaching Siem Reap International Airport in approximately ten minutes. Please make sure your seats and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure you seat belt is securely fastened. Please switch off all electronic devices until we are safely parked at the gate. Thank you.” The flight attendant’s announcement filled the airplane. Jooyoung obediently followed the flight attendant’s instructions and his heart was thumping wildly. He would finally fulfill his ambition.

The plane safely landed ten minutes later. As the passengers got off from the plane, Jooyoung felt the heat reflecting off the tarmac. The air was heavy and smelled of diesel. Jooyoung took off his jacket as it was humid.

  Hello Siem Reap. Jooyoung smiled in satisfaction.