Nice to be Back?

Music of the Past [The New Composer Season II]

Baekhyun had his head on Chen’s shoulder. Meanwhile, Ynna was resting hers on the man’s other shoulder. For some reason, Chen was a nice person to sleep on. Kyungsoo was leaning on the glass window and Chanyeol didn’t even close his eyes. He was too awake.

They were on their way to rehearse for the upcoming SMTown concert and Milan is in the same country as him after four years. The boy was too excited. Fate was telling him to claim her again. But according to Baekhyun, she completely changed. Even Ynna agreed when it was their topic. It was all about business to her, according to them.

It’s impossible for her to be like that.

One by one, they went out of the van. The other members were in another van. They were all in their practice clothes, mostly sweatpants and t-shirts plus their usual rubber shoes. The other idols were in the stadium. Chanyeol could see Leeteuk and Shindong talking about how the show would flow. Eunhyuk and Donghae were both teaching the rookies, NG and Mors Code, their dance numbers for the concert.

Everyone was busy, especially the solo artists. Zhang Liyin was also there, and Chanyeol heard she was going to have a duet with Ynna. From the corner of his eye, Chanyeol saw Chen peck Ynna on the lips and mutter “Saranghae”. Ynna, after that, skipped towards the place where the solo artists were. Even Taemin, BoA and Henry were there.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and raised an eyebrow. “She’s not here,” he told him. “I’m not finding her,” Chanyeol muttered under his breath. “I am sure you will,” Baekhyun laughed. “You know me too well, Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol narrowed his eyes on his best friend. “Who wouldn’t know you so well when he lived with you for how many years already,” Baekhyun mused.

“It’s almost our end, right?” he added as he looked around. Chen slapped his back. “Stop being dramatic! You have your musicals, Chanyeol has his parents’ cafes, I have my solo career ahead of me, Kyungsoo is an actor, Xiumin-hyung is also an actor, Tao is an action star, everyone has their future ahead of them! EXO will never be over. We’re still together even if we’re not idols,” he reminded them.

“He’s right, Baek,” Chanyeol nodded. “Look at Kris-hyung, he still calls us even if he turned out to be an actor in China and Luhan hyung is a recording artist in China plus an actor but he’s staying with us until the concert for now,” he added. “I heard Kris-hyung was casted for a Hollywood movie. He’s so cool,” Chen’s eyes sparkled as he said that. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “You’ll see me in Broadway soon,” he boasted. Chen and Chanyeol laughed.

“Guys, let’s go. We have to rehearse,” Suho butted in the conversation and the beagle line nodded. The remaining members of EXO went to their places and practiced what they can. Mainly, they were going to perform Phantom and Sky High, their latest comeback song. The SMTown performance at the end was composed by SHINee’s Jonghyun and it was entitled “Hold My Hand”.

“Everyone, I’m sure you know who I am,” everyone turned their heads to the stage and saw their new CEO. Lee Sungkyuu smiled at his idols as he looked at them one by one. After the disaster that is named Kim Youngmin retired from being SM’s CEO, Lee Sungkyuu stepped in for him. He was voted in the board. He was a smart, young man. And he wanted to put SM in the right direction, just like when Sooman ran this company.

“Aside from the upcoming yearly SMTown concert, I brought here someone who I think everyone knows. She was the scholar Sooman-ssi took from her country and she worked with legends such as Super Junior and SNSD,” he continued.

Chanyeol anticipated who it was. He had a good feeling. Milan worked for Super Junior’s Christmas album last year and SNSD’s latest Japanese album. She made Super Junior’s Christmases with You and SNSD’s Rockstar. “Come here. Don’t be shy,” Sungkyuu said, going near the stairs.

“Mr. Lee, this is unneeded. Other composers don’t experience this so why should I?” Milan said as she narrowed her eyes at her boss. Sungkyuu shook his head and took Milan’s hand and pulled her up. “This is Milan de Vega. I’m sure you all know her as EXO’s composer, first of all. She did have a lot of scandals in Korea and China, generally in Asia. That’s why Sooman-ssi sent her to Europe to study. She then worked in America to avoid all controversial. She teaches rookies English so the new groups can promote there and communicate with fans,” he explained.

All Milan could do was bow and wave a bit. “It’s… well, nice to be back? I’ll be working with Lee Taemin as my comeback present in Korea. Minho-ssi will help me in making songs for his colleague,” she said. Chanyeol had a smile all over his face. Baekhyun scoffed as he turned to his friend. “What are you smiling about? She’s going to work with her ideal husband, Chanyeol. She’ll dump everything to end up with Taemin-ssi,” Baekhyun reminded him.

Chanyeol shook his head. “That’s not important anymore. That will never be important to me while she’s here,” he timidly said with a shy smile on his face.

Luhan awkwardly held his arm as he looked at the silhouette of the woman he still loves. But he kept in his mind that he’ll let Chanyeol win her. Milan wasn’t a prize, the reason why Luhan didn’t want to compete but Chanyeol really wanted her so badly. The last album they released, Closed Eyes, had a song Chanyeol made with Lay. And Luhan can assure everyone it was about Milan.

“Hyung, let’s practice with the dancers,” Kai pulled Luhan away from the remaining members of EXO-M. Oh right, he had a special number with the dancers. It was him, Kai, Ten, Yuta and Mark to perform for the boys. For the girls, it was Hyoyeon, Lami, Seulgi and Irene. Rappers also had a performance but that wasn’t important. Chanyeol can handle that himself and impress Milan.

Hyoyeon hugged Luhan and Kai’s shoulders as she greeted all the dancers a “Yo, poppers and lockers!” Mark smiled widely as he waved his hand. “Hi, noona!” He greeted. Lami shyly smiled at her while Seulgi and Irene bowed and greeted with so much respect. Ten and Yuta hugged their noona (it was a deal with Hyoyeon a few years back) and their practice resumed.

Milan decided to visit the last person she went to Korea with and that is Lee Taeyong. He was with the other rappers, practicing their part in the concert. Coincidentally, Chanyeol was also there, fooling around with Amber and Key. “Taeyong-ssi,” Milan called and instead of Taeyong looking, it was Chanyeol.

“Taeyong! Lee Taeyong with large eyes!” Milan called out louder and because of that, the rappers were laughing. Taeyong rolled his eyes and went to the door. Chanyeol puffed his cheeks. He wanted Milan to call him after all. Isn’t she going to even say hi to him?

“Taemin-ssi wants you to rap in his next album,” Milan told him. “He wants me? Seriously?” A smile formed on his face. Milan lightly nodded. “Just practice rapping for the concert first, okay? After the concert, I’ll be personally seeing you to help you write the rap. You’ve been in this industry even when you were still a trainee so I’m expecting more from you,” Milan reminded him. “You talk like an old lady,” Taeyong complained.

“Maybe because I’ve matured with time now shoo, go to your co-rappers. Say hi to Lami for me,” Milan waved a bit. “You’re just going to stalk Jeno again,” Taeyong scoffed. “I don’t stalk Jeno! I just watch over his growth as an idol,” Milan argued.

Chanyeol bit his lower lip as he watched them. Tao followed his gaze and nodded, understanding why Chanyeol has been staring at the door for five minutes already. “They’re really close,” he commented. Chanyeol pouted for a second but he regained his smile. “Of course, they spent a long time in America. I heard Milan taught Taeyong how to read notes and play the flute,” he shared.

Tao hinted a smirk and chuckled. “Hyung, I am sure Taeyong isn’t going to date your Milan,” he reassured him before going to talk with Amber in Chinese. Taeyong joined the rappers again when Milan finally left to ‘supervise’ Jeno. Jeno was already part of SM the Ballad and he’s the youngest there, being younger than Ynna for a few days.

“I think the only business Milan was busy with was taking care of Taeyong.”