forty-six

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

► Christmas Playlist

G.Soul - You

► I’d have to say, this is by far one of my favorite chapters. I hope you enjoy it too as much as I enjoyed writing it ♥

Word Count: 5935

 

 

The little party ends early in the morning past midnight. Everyone was too ecstatic and high of happiness that parting was the last in their minds.

 

“Aaawww~ I don’t want to go yet.” Jongdae whines slouching against the couch.

 

“Can’t we party all night long hyung?” Tao asks Junmyeon.

 

“We’ve already partied all night long.” Jongin tells Tao as Kyungsoo beside him yawns.

 

“There’s still New Year’s Eve, no?” Minho suggests.

 

“We’ll see each other again soon ‘kay?” Junmyeon pats Tao’s cheek affectionately to which he gets a pout in response.

 

 

“Do we have to go?” Baekhyun tries to ask as he yawns, his words coming out jumbled. Chanyeol beside him smiles at his sleepiness, contrary to what he asks.

 

“Yes, you need to sleep.” He tells him as he leaves a kiss to his temple and stands to collect their things to be loaded to his car.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Cold wind breezes through the quiet air, only the sounds of the eight friends were heard as they get ready to leave and part ways; another day of happiness ends and another day to look forward to.

 

“Baekhyun, here, take this.” Junmyeon hands him a box of a whole cake; the same flavor that Baekhyun had been going back and forth to – he has eaten at least five slices.

 

“But hyung…” Baekhyun panics embarrassed at what is offered. “You don’t have to.”

 

Chuckling, Junmyeon hands him the box. “Nah Baek, I’m not very fond of sweets. It’ll be more use if it’s given to someone who actually likes it.” He teases.

 

In response, Baekhyun accepts the box of cake timidly, still shy of being given one. “Okay.”

 

 

 

Before Baekhyun leaves the house, he returns back to the living room to collect his gifts. But he stands confused in the middle as he doesn’t see any. He turns to Jongin who had Kyungsoo’s gifts in his hands while his is probably in the car.

 

“Jongin? Have you seen my gifts?”

 

“Chanyeol took them. He’s outside waiting for you.”

 

“Oh.” This had him biting his lips, trying to stop himself from giggling at Chanyeol’s gentlemanly act, his cheeks turning a tint of pink.

 

And for one last time, before he finally leaves, he looks around the living room. Looking at every decoration possible and keeping them at memory. The beautiful blue themed Christmas decorations – a setting that he believes will remain in his memory for a very, very long time. On one last look, he stares at the Christmas tree by the corner – all sparkling with its pretty lights; a tree that at the moment meant a lot more to him than just a Christmas display.

 

 

 

 

Usually, a short goodbye is the only exchange Chanyeol gives his friends. A short bye, see you later, or a nod of acknowledgement. This time, however, he gives them what they have missed for a very long time.

 

“Bye hyung.” Jongin waves at him. “An early Merry Christmas?”

In return, Chanyeol pats his head like a little brother. “An early Merry Christmas to you too.” And brings him into an embrace that Jongin admittedly melts into – a hug he never thought he had missed so much.

As they pull away, they pat each other’s backs as a brotherly affection with a final see you later.

 

This time, Chanyeol initiates the bro-shake first that had Jongdae laughing in both surprise and delight. It’s been a long time since they have done their personal handshake, so for the other to remember, it had Jongdae pulling him into an embrace of his own. They part with laughter, glad that his friend was finally definitely back.

“Happy Holidays you giant elf.”

“Happy Holidays you squirt.” Chanyeol snorts.

 

“Hyuuuung~” Tao whines as he engulfs Chanyeol in a super tight embrace because he terribly missed this.

Chanyeol laughs at his friend’s unusual childish behavior but gladly accepts, returning the hug with a tight circling of his arms around his waist.

“Since when did you turn into such a giant kid huh?” He jokes.

“Since Baekhyun came into the picture.” Tao jokes back and adds last as he pulls away. “Can I steal Baekhyun for the whole break instead?”

“You wish.” He ruffles Tao’s hair that elicits a whine from the other but nonetheless still ends with big smiles.

 

The next to invade his personal space was Junmyeon, fixing his now ruffled hair thanks to Tao – even though there’s really no need to because they’re all going home. The motherly affection had Chanyeol chuckling in response – his hyung has never changed, he only got worse (a delightful kind of worse). He pulls him in a hug, circling his arms around the older’s shoulders to embrace him tight. And Junmyeon never fails to nag him – albeit all in an affectionate manner.

“Baekhyun is staying with you for a quite a long time, take good care of him okay? Don’t feed him anything unhealthy, eat vegetables. Remember, he’s allergic to seafood. Don’t stay up too late. Make sure you two make up for the lack of sleep the last weeks. Call me if there’s anything you need. Clear?”

“Yes hyung, don’t worry.” Chanyeol laughs at the range of reminders.

Upon pulling away, Chanyeol is left yet again amused at his hyung’s last words as he pats his shoulders of its wrinkles.

“You two are big boys now but don’t force Baekhyun into anything he doesn’t want alright? Keep in touch okay?” At the implication of Junmyeon’s words, he couldn’t help but laugh.

They pull away with an affection kiss between ‘mother’ and son – a kiss on the cheek from Junmyeon, a kiss on the forehead from Chanyeol. Yeap, Junmyeon’s motherly antics indeed got ‘worse’ – not that any of them minded.

 

When Chanyeol turns to Minho, he’s greeted by a rare smile – the kind of smile that he only sees when Minho stands proud watching them as the father figure of the group. He walks towards him and with no words uttered, pull each other in a fond embrace.

“Junmyeon is going to kill me if you don’t take care of his baby.” Minho tells him.

“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of him.” He chuckles, all the more at the endearing title.

“Junmyeon is also going to kill me if you don’t take care of yourself.” Minho pulls away and pats his shoulder like the dad he is.

“I will hyung, I will.” Chanyeol smiles as he answers.

To these two, their words had underlying meanings – all of which they both understand.

Minho was never one to openly show affection and most of the time uses Junmyeon’s name to get things across. But in the end, they all know that Minho is just as serious and just as caring as his partner.

Chanyeol’s address of ‘hyung’ is his way of telling Minho that he is once again acknowledged as both authority but a very dear close friend. Something he had ultimately disregarded after his change.

 

Just like earlier, how Kyungsoo stood in the sidelines not sure what to do, Chanyeol opens his arms and nudges his head – a silent ask for a hug. Gladly accepting, Kyungsoo walks towards him to circle his arms around the other’s torso, a tight squeeze to show just how much he is appreciating the new found friendship. Amid the embrace, Chanyeol is yet again given a short list of reminders much like how Junmyeon nagged his, albeit in a more friendly way than motherly.

“Don’t let Baekhyun eat too many sweets, he tends to eat a lot when not watched. I don’t want my friend getting sick after the break. Get Baekhyun to sleep early too, he needs a lot of rest since he hadn’t gotten much the last month.” Kyungsoo pulls away with furrowed eyebrows and adds last. “Remember, I entrusted my friend to you and I take your word for it.”

Chanyeol thought Kyungsoo is now someone to be feared, but his pretty eye smile afterwards had him thinking again and smiling in assurance to his reminders.

“Trust me on Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

The next to give his series of goodbyes was Baekhyun. Saying goodbye has always been a hard thing to do for him, especially when the people he was going to part with were people who had made him happy. But he never thought it could get even harder. One by one they say their goodbyes to each other, each and every goodbye held more meaning than before.

 

Engulfed by a big tight embrace, Tao rocks their bodies side to side squeezing Baekhyun in his arms. They laugh at each other, happiness radiating both friends.

“Bye Baekkie!! Merry Christmas! I’ll greet you again on the 25th! Yeah?!”

“Yeeeees~ I’ll look forward to it then.”

“Wear the coat I gave you too ‘kay? I’ll get hurt if you wear some other brand.” He adds in jest and had Baekhyun bursting out in laughter.

“I’ll remember.”

 

The next to bring him in an equally tight embrace was Junmyeon, leaving a fond kiss on his forehead and patting his cheeks like he’s being separated from his child. Like Chanyeol, he too gets a handful of reminders.

“Don’t eat the cake I gave in one go. Sleep and rest as much you can. Eat healthy and don’t let Chanyeol feed you anything bad for your health alright? Tell me if he’s feeding you take out I’ll send someone to send some proper food. I’ll check in on you from time to time so expect my calls from now on. Is that clear Byun Baekhyun?”

“Yes.” Baekhyun nods happily, his eyes turning crescents at the motherly affection he is showered with – the kind of affection he has longed all his life. So this is what it’s like to be nagged at.

Baekhyun’s pretty eye smile had Junmyeon pulling him in an embrace once again, not willing to let go of his new baby.

“If Chanyeol in any way hurts you or forces you don’t hesitate to call me, okay?” He adds, Baekhyun missing the implication behind his words.

No words were said in reply but Baekhyun simply tightens his arms around the older and let’s himself melt in the affection. Another kiss to his temple before Junmyeon finally lets him go.

 

Behind Junmyeon, Jongdae waits for his turn. He holds a hand up first for the customary bro fist that’ll eventually pull him in a hug. In response, Baekhyun circles his arms around the other’s torso, squeezing him just as tight.

“Happy Holidays Baek. See you soon okay?”

“Merry Christmas to you too.” He pulls away to pat his cheeks playfully, his smile sending warmth to Jongdae’s chest.

To distract himself of his own feelings, Jongdae playfully asks for a bro-shake – holding his hand out waiting. “Shake on it B.”

Happily, Baekhyun returns the shake with a melodious laugh that had Jongdae feeling all warm with happiness.

 

Next was Jongin, who snuck behind him after he parted with Jongdae to tickle his sides – much to Baekhyun’s annoyance albeit in a good way as he thrashed and flailed his arms around of the tickling sensation, all while laughing loudly. He is then pulled in an embrace, circling his arms around Jongin’s neck as the other’s arms circle his waist – all a brotherly affection.

“Merry Christmas Baek. Thanks.” Jongin whispers to his ear.

“For what?”

“For a lot of things.” He answers vague that had Baekhyun pulling away in confusion, eliciting laughter from Jongin. “Take care of hyung okay? He needs all the laughter back that he once lost.”

“Kay!~” Chuckling, Baekhyun answered with another eye smile that had Jongin leaving a fond kiss to his cheek before he pulls away completely.

 

 

Behind Jongin was Kyungsoo, who watched the exchange with a smile as he waited for his turn. The affection between the two, instead of bothering him and making him feel jealous, sent a surge of warmth to his chest. He knew that everything was platonic, and seeing the pretty eye smile his friend had that seemed to literally twinkle in happiness had him feeling happy as well. Baekhyun indeed radiated with joy this time as opposed to before. Something he can’t help but feel immensely grateful for to their friends who are the reason.

“Soo!” He is suddenly engulfed in a big bear hug that had him laughing as they nearly fall out of balance. “I’ll miss you! Merry Christmas!! I’ll see you soon right? Right?!” Baekhyun says excitedly.

“Soon Baek. It’s not even the 25th yet.” He laughs. “Gonna miss you too. Spend the holidays happily yeh?”

“I will, I will. You too!”

Baekhyun once again peppers his face with kisses that Kyungsoo responded with his own revenge of peppering kisses. They both laugh at their childish antics and pull away with eyes tearing up at the overwhelming happiness they both felt.

 

When it was Minho’s turn, Baekhyun runs to him like a little child running to a father, and smiles up to him with his pretty eye smile. “Merry Christmas hyung!”

Not able to help himself, Minho pulls Baekhyun in a fond embrace – tightening his arms around the latter as he too smiles himself. As he felt Baekhyun’s arms tight around his torso, he feels tingling warmth in his chest.

“Thanks Baekhyun.” He whispers in his ear. “For making me feel a kind of happiness I long forgot.”

Confused but somehow understanding as he remembered his conversation with Tao earlier, Baekhyun pulls away to smile at him, happy himself of what he has done.

“Thank you too hyung, for being such a papa.” He jokes. Minho bursts out in laughter at the address.

“Of course, anytime Baek.” He snorts.

Baekhyun is once again pulled in for a last embrace before they part ways. He melts into it, feeling and appreciating immensely the sense of security he felt from Minho – a different kind of security from Chanyeol’s. The two kisses he felt on his temple before they pull a

Please log in to read the full chapter