reunion

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Chanyeol barely slept that night. None of them did. There were too many things to think about to even fall asleep from being dead tired. For one, their safety. While Minho and Yejin had their bodyguards ready to pounce if needed, it was still a matter of fact they were staying in an unfamiliar unsafe environment. The locks on their doors alone weren't exactly the most reassuring. Here, one strong pound at the door and it'll come crashing down. Unprejudiced as they were, safety was one thing that will toss it all out, all the more when all your life you were used to high intense security.

 

It wasn't the most comfortable sleep either. Then again, what would anyone expect when the mattresses they were sleeping on might as well be a stone slab. Chanyeol's own back ached from the stiffness of the mattress under him, the springs poking like skeletons, and he was practically swimming in his own sweat.

 

It was strange. To wake up in an unfamiliar place was one thing, but to wake up in a completely different circumstance than he was used to was another level of unfamiliar. Had he been at home, his AC would have still been . If not that, then at the very least he did not suffer from a sore back.

 

But can he really complain?

 

Chanyeol was born with a golden spoon. Privileged to not go through the constant mood swings of the weather where the night was winter and the next morning summer. All the more to suffer from the lack of electricity after it has been cut off because the bills' due date has passed. Neither was it helping that the sun's rays were powering through the curtain lacking windows.

 

He groans and was about to get up when the pair of arms around him squeezes tightly across his abdomen. Baekhyun started stirring awake and whines like a puppy Chanyeol huffs a laugh. Cute, and definitely back in his arms.

 

"Good morning," Chanyeol has this pretty little smile watching Baekhyun's eyes slowly flutter open.

 

He breaks into more laughter when Baekhyun catches his eyes and cries in embarrasment, hiding his face onto his neck once it settles in that Chanyeol was indeed there and it wasn't all a dream. He still greets though, a very quiet and shy, with a mix of coughs and whimpers 'cause he just started recovering, "goo'morning".

 

 

 

 

As everyone stayed the night, Chanyeol of course wasn't the only one who woke up feeling strange and growing a dead set desire to take Baekhyun out of this place.

 

None of them were used to the weird smells and the rugged environment of the poverty-stricken neighborhood in the early morning. They were used to sweet peace, not be bombarded by the cacophonous sound of the busy street outside as everyone began their day. It was truly humbling indeed, Junmyeon thought. Had they been raised with a more spoiled bratty perspective, pretty sure they wouldn't even last a day here, and Junmyeon knew so many in his family that would not only leave squealing in disgust but spouting degrading nonsense.

 

Junmyeon did feel a little envious though. The busy bodies of last night's illicit affairs have now been replaced by children running amok and adults going about their day. It brought a smile to his face as he watched outside their hotel's window, because as impoverished Baekhyun's neighborhood was, he had seen more grins and heard more laughter here than he had ever heard in all his years in his still and quiet neighborhood home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They spent breakfast with food Baekhyun bought at the small food stalls littered across the streets. He was feeling much better now enough to move around. Still sick, but better. Perhaps the enormous weight of the stress he carried for such a long time being lifted, getting the first deep peaceful sleep in awhile his body desperately craved, most especially with Chanyeol beside him, helped tremendously.

 

It was still much to Junmyeon's vehement disagreement though, 'you're still sick!' he kept repeating until Chanyeol stepped in laughing and convinced the older that a short trip outside under the sunlight may help Baekhyun better.

 

Junmyeon, who accompanied Baekhyun along with Chanyeol and their bodyguards subtly trailing along, walked the streets like a tourist. For a bunch of wealthy raised children, the poverty-stricken neighborhood was all kinds of new to them. Call them ignorant if you will, but they have only ever seen such scenes through TV screens, never a firsthand experience.

 

It was quite the experience to buy food just close to home. Here, there were no malls or big lot supermarkets, but smaller than a convenience store stores. Much to Junmyeon's displeasure, there was some lack of sanitary hygiene among the cooks who served and packed their food in these little plastic containers. Street food was also more prevalent, and it left Junmyeon cringing more for how laid open the food was along a busy street.

 

But just like Chanyeol, can he really complain?

 

They were cheap. Absolutely affordable for their status that the price would barely, if it even will, leave a dent on their pockets, yet it was enough and perhaps even still too much for those who could hardly afford rent. Baekhyun even had to tell him that smaller bills were preferred as payment, rather than the biggest valued number he had in his wallet. Simply because it was apparently difficult to give change to. Something Junmyeon had a bit of a difficult time fathoming for he almost always paid in the biggest amount and or even just opting for a card.

 

Chanyeol was just as amazed. Although in a quite different way from Junmyeon. To Chanyeol, this was a glimpse into his lover's life. Walking through the streets and interacting with the friendly elders who greeted them like old time friends and not strangers, was a mere peek of Baekhyun's everyday life at the slums. Perhaps it was a pretty deep take, but for Chanyeol, this is the environment that raised Baekhyun, and explained so many of his 'odd' but actually normal behaviors in the kind of lifestyle he was surrounded in.

 

Regardless of it all though, it was innate in them to be wary. Junmyeon was practically trembling and looked like he was about to be robbed any second the deeper they went in through Baekhyun's neighborhood. His anxiety was at an all-time high. It was simply difficult to turn himself off, when the prejudice of such places taught to him his entire life was that these streets can be dangerous. An undeniable fact, sadly, given the severe lack of security and the difficult circumstances people are placed in where survival is the number one priority rather than simply living life and enjoying it.

 

Chanyeol too, albeit his vigilance was a lot more subdued and looking more like a lost child, holding Baekhyun's hand like his life depended on it. The only thing that helped him calm down was the smile Baekhyun sent him as they walked in public. Like he was simply thrilled to have Chanyeol there with him, buying food together, in a place that was his comfort zone, away from the eyes of the wealthy snobs that crumpled his self-esteem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun had experienced food in numerous ways he could not have ever imagined since he met this group of friends, but this was definitely one that tops everything as it was nowhere in his imagination, his fantasies, not even in his dreams.

 

They all decided to eat inside Baekhyun's apartment despite it being cramped and having the better choice of the hotel rooms. All sat in a round circle on his floor sharing the food splayed out in the center. It was Yejin's idea, which was strongly supported by Minho, and hence why the two stayed behind preparing.

 

Baekhyun started off the day with massive insecurity, given that his apartment was now under better lighting and they can finally see the whole entirety of it from the dirtiest of imperfections. But now, after the ruckus of preparing breakfast, it had significantly declined. His once little lonely and gloomy apartment is, for the first time since he moved in, filled with nothing but laughter and joy.

 

Despite the fact that all three were struggling to eat, Baekhyun had felt the lightest he had ever had.

 

He was a ball of giggles. Witnessing Minho break his plastic spoon that was soon followed by his plastic fork, utensils he kept to fill the scarce number of tableware he owns, hearing Junmyeon's constant praise over how delicious the food was, as if he wasn't wary of where it came from just awhile ago, and Yejin whispering to him if they could go out again and buy more she could bring home.

 

In a span of just one night, Baekhyun's life flipped from being hopeless and miserable to the happiest he has ever been.

 

He was still embarrassed, insecurities don't go away overnight of course, all the more seeing Chanyeol for the first time eat with only a spoon and a plate with an edge chipped off and drinking from a worn plastic cup. Baekhyun was used to seeing him in front of a fully set table with porcelain tableware. But he supposes, it's all okay, when Chanyeol offers him a goofy grin with a piece of green vegetable stuck in between his teeth, telling him he's in love with the food. Baekhyun may have fallen in love all over again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yejin leaves first before the rest. She was gone for too long after an abrupt leave and the request for security the day before may have reached her parents by now and that simply wasn't good. All of them only thought of what was best for Baekhyun - to help him and to protect him - and keeping a low profile to seal their whereabouts a secret from their families were vital.

 

After breakfast, the three did the necessary chores while Baekhyun was banned from moving, was demanded to take a rest and left to mull with a pout on his bed. It was amusing to just watch though. Junmyeon and Chanyeol were moving around to clean up while Minho saw Yejin out before he left to collect their things at the hotel and check out.

 

For a bunch of insanely rich kids, they surely seemed to be raised unlike any other. Seeing Junmyeon navigate his arm’s length of a kitchen with ease made him question for a second if he really grew up privileged in a large home in the city. The only giving clue was how the older would flinch and watch closely the lizard that hung out on his wall among broken tiles and picked up his dirty washcloth with two fingers before accepting the fact he had no other to use and then sported a huge disgusted frown. A bit entertaining to watch, really.

 

"You alright?" Chanyeol snaps him out, almost surprising Baekhyun because he was too focused on internally laughing at Junmyeon.

 

Baekhyun nods a reply but pouts, "I want to help though".

 

Chanyeol pecks Baekhyun's bent knee chuckling. "We told you right? We're here now, let us take care of you."

 

As sweet as the gesture was, it was more embarrassing. Baekhyun forgot he had a hole on his pajamas right exactly where Chanyeol kissed his knee and he turned red the moment he realized. Chanyeol noticed of course, and immediately sensed Baekhyun's insecurity when he tried to move it away from him and hide it.

 

"Baek," he laughs, "from now on, I want you to learn to not care about these things, okay?" Chanyeol taps on the little holes. Smiling and rubbing his thumb on it so affectionately it was almost enough to melt Baekhyun's insecurities away. "Remember, always remember, that I do not care about such insignificant things. You can be wearing rags and I will still love you, because that changes nothing of who you are. Mm'kay?"

 

Baekhyun bites his lip, ashamed, touched and grateful. He nods, breaking into a shy smile that was almost tearful, " 'kay."

 

 

 

 

♠ ♠ ♠

 

 

As all good things come to an end, it was time for the boys to head back home. As much as they would love to stay here and accompany Baekhyun all day, perhaps stay another night, it was simply much too dangerous. Not only was the environment not ideal for Baekhyun to continue healing but the longer they stayed the riskier their safety gets.

 

Two burly macho bodyguards won't be able to protect them if something comes up, and they have already caught enough attention from the neighbors for being obvious outsiders. That and surely, word of Chanyeol paying for Baekhyun's rent would have spread by now. No one here really has that kind of money lying in their pockets for no reason at all.

 

Junmyeon doesn't really know how to approach the clearly sensitive subject. One way or another, their prejudice is going to hurt Baekhyun.

 

"Can I talk to you, sweetheart?" Junmyeon sits down beside Baekhyun on the mattress fanning himself. The lack of electricity is starting to get to them, and not at all helping the older's nervous state. "Umm... as much we'd like to stay with you here, we have to go back now."

 

The way Baekhyun's heart sank and shown in his expression had Junmyeon smiling. Much too precious, this boy.

 

"But we want you to come with us--" Junmyeon decides to just drop the bomb as there was no use in circling around it. They were leaving this place with Baekhyun no matter what-- "and we won't take a no for an answer."

 

While it would be a lie to say he never wished to be taken out of this place, for any of them - or anyone for that matter - to come swoop him up into a more comfortable environment, all the more after seeing the secured well provided places they resided in, Baekhyun was still left speechless.

 

He was shy, ashamed even, embarrassed for not being able to save himself out of this hole and instead lighting up at the idea of an easier way out through the help of someone else.

 

"I… uh… umm… hyung I…" Baekhyun lowers his head and avoids the older's gaze as his familiar insecurity begins to rise. "I'm thankful, very. I really am. Just… it's okay, hyung. You've all helped enough and… and I feel better and can take it from here!" he lifts his head up and flashes a grin that Junmyeon can easily tell was forced. "I'm used to being alone, hyung. So I'll be okay. Really."

 

The older lets out a little laugh. So fond yet so sad, "Oh Baekhyun~". Now that he has a better understanding of the younger, it shouldn't have been a surprise nor question that he hid all of this from them. And to think, he - they - doubted him. Thought he was like everybody else who wanted no more but to benefit from their wealth. Oh, could they have been more wrong about it.

 

Junmyeon moves to embrace the younger so tightly against him Baekhyun felt like a little child again in his grandmother's arms.

 

"But you're not alone anymore, remember?" Junmyeon says soft and pained it immediately hit Baekhyun of this truth he had been adamant on denying. An idea he tried so hard to throw away because he thought it would only end in heartbreak. But Junmyeon's words had his lips quivering, trying hard not to burst crying again that he just ended up with wet eyes and coughs.

 

He's not alone anymore.

 

"We're here now, Baekhyun. We're here and we can help. So can you let us take care of you now?"

 

 

 

 

For now, it didn't really take Baekhyun much convincing to leave this little measly apartment of his. As ashamed and embarrassed as he was to depend on others, he would be an idiot to decline the older's offer of not only recuperating in a better, cleaner environment but to also be taken care of by someone - no longer alone. The one thing he had been so desperate about.

 

What happens next though is up for discussion; but that can be dealt with when the time comes.

 

"Had the boys drop by to all your classes to inform your professors that you will be away for another week." Junmyeon tells him as he helped Baekhyun pack some important personal belongings. And, unbeknownst to him, the boys were already dead set on their decision to take him out of here permanently.

 

Baekhyun was touched. Greatly. It was the first time so many people were up helping him out. Kyungsoo had been the only one willing before but even then, Baekhyun's sudden unannounced absences had always worried him with the potential of being dropped from his classes. He has come this far surviving not repeating a single one. Aside from Kyungsoo being alone can only do so much, Baekhyun did not like depending on others for help, and attending university was simply unforgiving for the most part.

 

But at the mention of the others, Baekhyun took a pause trying to lift the slab of loose floorboard where he kept his poor amount of so called savings. Right, the rest were left behind and he had no idea of what they think of him now that the whole truth is out. Kyungsoo most especially now knows that he's lied to him for years since they met. Would they still accept him?

 

Baekhyun gasps as Chanyeol crouches down in front of him with a laugh after having done his fair share of chores.

 

"So this is where you secure your money. Your little mini safety bank~" Chanyeol mused but not a single hint of judgement on his unusual ways.

 

"I-its... the safest," he shyly mumbles, incredibly embarrassed of the measly amount Chanyeol took out. With everything that came up since he came back home from Chanyeol's, Baekhyun's entire "assets" could only be computed to a handful of bills.

 

Chanyeol yet again notices his insecurity. It was much easier to read Baekhyun now that he knew the truth. He smiled as he gave Baekhyun what was no more but pocket change to his eyes. Swearing from that indeed, from this day forward, Baekhyun no longer needed to worry about anything.

 

 

 

 

"Are you ready, Baekhyun?" Minho asks after they finally arrive at Junmyeon's house. He was to stay there so the older can better look after him.

 

Junmyeon was behind them smiling at him with a bag in his hand of Baekhyun's handful of his most meaningful items (there wasn't much really, ninety percent of the stuff he owns might as well be... trash). And before him Chanyeol waited, offering a hand out waiting for him to take.

 

It was as if they truly gave him no choice but to come with them. There was simply no means of escape. It helps though, because indeed Baekhyun had this urge to run away again. The time of reuniting with the rest of their friends was fast approaching and at the thought of facing all of them, hiding was his automatic response.

 

Baekhyun takes a deep breath and accepts Chanyeol's hand. He holds it tight as the taller squeezes back. Encouraging.

 

He did not know what the future holds from here, because this was a scenario he never even thought of dreaming of, but it almost felt like he was saying goodbye to the old.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Staying at Junmyeon’s while not knowing what was to happen next was strange. Over the next few days, the two oldest have been hinting that they were against Baekhyun going back to continue living in his small (poor excuse) of an apartment. One of the significant signs was when Baekhyun learned Chanyeol paid for his rent.

 

He didn't know what exactly happened, just knew that dealing with the old lady was probably not the nicest, but when he mentioned that he would pay it back the moment he can, he instead received an earful of a lecture from Junmyeon. Minho was neither accepting. He merely lost whatever playful expression he had on his face and turned serious as he told Baekhyun a short and

Please log in to read the full chapter