thirty-two

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter
► Snuck a little time to be able to post this. Don't miss the a/n at the end. Enjoy ♥ Word Count: 2291

 

 

Saying goodbye to people that made you happy, even for a while, is always a hard task. Grandma reminded Baekhyun so much of his own grandmamma that he instantly fell at ease by her presence; failing to realize that at such a short time, he has revealed a little too much to her than intended. The kids were absolutely adorable. Baekhyun was never really fond of children, not because he did not like them but rather he knew no clue of how to interact with them. But Luhan and Sehun’s warm welcome to him immediately eased his insecurities. All his fears and worries ebb away to nonexistence as he spent the whole time with laughter. He could not help but want to spend a little longer with them, not wanting to part anytime soon with any of them.

 

“Babai Baekhyun ajusshi!” Luhan waves happily. “Let’s play again next time!”

 

“Bye Luhan.” Baekhyun engulfs the boy in a tight hug goodbye. “Next time indeed.”

 

When he turns to Sehun to say goodbye to him next, the little boy starts crying, bawling like his goodbye was final. He laughs as response, the sight too amusing, and carries the little six years old into his arms.

 

“Shhhh~ Baekhyun ajusshi will visit again.” He rocks him gently patting his back, not at all caring of the snot coming out of the little boy’s nose wetting his shoulder.

 

“P-promise?” Sehun sniffles, pulls away and holds out his pinky finger. “Ajusshi promise?”

 

Chuckling at the cuteness, Baekhyun links his pinky with the little one. “Baekhyun ajusshi promises.” and pouts his lips asking for a goodbye kiss.

 

As if he wasn’t just bawling a second ago, Sehun immediately stops after the promise was made. He cups Baekhyun’s cheeks with his tiny hands and pouts a kiss, smiling wide after.

 

Jealous of the pout kiss goodbye, Luhan pulls on Baekhyun’s hem and pouts his lips, asking for one too.

 

Laughing and after brushing away the fresh tears on Sehun’s face, Baekhyun puts him down and crouches in front of Luhan. He pouts his lips and waits for Luhan to lean in.

Happy and delighted Luhan leans in, albeit a little too eagerly nearly knocking Baekhyun to the floor, as he kisses, eliciting a loud laughter from Baekhyun.

 

 

 

He says goodbye last to grandma, hugging her tight and melting into the warmth that engulfed him.

 

“Thank you for having me, grandma.”

 

“Oh Baekhyun dear, you are always welcome in this home.” She returns the hug just as tight. “Don’t hesitate to come back again, okay?”

 

Before he was able to pull away completely, Baekhyun was stopped gently, the elder’s fond smile greeting him.

 

“Continue loving Chanyeol the way you are now.” She says, confusing Baekhyun. “He loves you just the same, maybe even more.”

 

Grandma pats his cheek affectionately. “Just don’t make the same mistake his past did.” And finally lets him go.

 

Instead of the goodbye ending in a happy note, Baekhyun is left with pain at her last words. He masks it all with one final enthusiastic goodbye and laughter.

 

 

 

At the side watching the whole scene unfold, Chanyeol watches fondly. His heart swelled with affection at the adorable exchange of his Baekhyun (yes, his) and the two kids. A beautiful sight that affected him more than it should have – fluttering butterflies, mushing of his insides, spreading of warmth; all at the same time. And as Baekhyun says his last goodbyes, his melodious laughter filling the air, he holds his hand out for Baekhyun to take.

 

The couple says goodbye and leaves with their fingers interlaced tightly, a huge smile on their faces. The basket with the two cats carried tightly by both – one held tightly on Baekhyun’s chest while the other is idly held by Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Now back at the penthouse, Baekhyun and Chanyeol sit with distance beside each other; the long sofa at the living room able to create space between both. They were both lost in their own thoughts – Baekhyun looks out the window watching the beautiful cityscape as he caresses Mimi on his lap. Chanyeol on the other hand, idly sits watching Foofoo play on his own with a ball of yarn on the floor. Both have yet to notice that each was lost in thoughts of their own.

 

 

Baekhyun was lost in grandma’s words, their whole conversation from earlier swirling in his thoughts, but her last words stood out the most.

 

Do not make the same mistake his past did.

 

His chest swells with heartache – but he already did.

 

He closes his eyes to try and shake away the painful thought, now filling his head of the ‘love’ she mentioned, of what he was ‘not aware’ of.

 

He’s returning back the old Chanyeol? Was he really?

 

Chanyeol loves him? Maybe even more? Does he really?

 

The thought that Chanyeol may do, makes him giggle – happiness swelling in his chest replacing that of pain and doubt.

 

 

 

On the other side of the couch, Chanyeol too dwells on grandma’s words.

 

What does she mean by ‘Baekhyun is both strong and fragile?’

What does she mean by ‘Baekhyun has far more than what he shows.’

What does ‘Open your heart more, and let his heart answer’ even mean.

 

Frustrated, he closes his eyes and clenches his fists, a headache increasing.

 

What the does all that mean?! How is Baekhyun fragile? Yes, maybe he is, in a way. But he is always smiling, is that a façade? All pretend? No.. No. He knows Baekhyun’s smile and it was never fake. Never.

The memory of Baekhyun’s fake smile he saw when at Tao’s place, he remembers.

Please log in to read the full chapter