sixty-six

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

7.8k

 

 

“I don’t want to go yet.” Sehun sniffed perched on Chanyeol’s arms.

 

“Can’t we stay a little longer?” Luhan muffled on Baekhyun’s chest with arms twined around him.

 

It was only lunch time, yet Grandma had already come to pick them up. And the boys did not want to leave; no, not anytime soon, they both cried. Chanyeol and Baekhyun glanced at each other and shared a little smile.

 

“Your mommy and daddy misses you, don’t you want to see them?” Chanyeol told Sehun, brushing off the unshed tears from his eyes.

 

“I do, but—” the six year old pouted, looking sullenly at the tumbler in his hands, a late Christmas gift that Chanyeol and Baekhyun had given him, “—I want to stay here with you too.”

 

“Can’t you come with us then?” Luhan had asked, looking up at Baekhyun with hopeful eyes.

 

Baekhyun was torn into two: of sadness over parting and of melting joy over the boys’ attachment to them, to him. “We always have next time, right?” he says, giving the ten year old a big grin. “Also, if you miss us that much, just look at the tumblers we gave you.” Baekhyun pulls away from the boy and showed him his own gift and pointed at the drawings. “We drew them while thinking of both of you.”

 

“Because we missed you,” Chanyeol added.

 

That seemed to brighten up the boys. Sehun asked a shy ‘really?’ while he turned the tumbler around looking at the drawings. Soon, he was giggling over Chanyeol’s scrawny, messy images and praising them like the older was the greatest artist. Chanyeol then looked at Baekhyun smugly. Luhan merely stared at his own tumbler, but it was apparent by the bright smile he had on his face that he was elated over the thought behind their gifts. He looks up at Baekhyun and expressed his gratitude by wrapping his arms around the older again.

 

Grandma, who had been watching the entire time, sighed lightheartedly at the scene. There was too much to be happy about, all the more with the next words she heard her grandchildren say.

 

“Baekhyun ajusshi, you’re still part of our family, right?” Sehun asked out of the blue it caught Baekhyun off guard.

 

“Yeah, you’re not leaving, right?” Luhan asked too.

 

Baekhyun thought this was already cleared a while ago with his tears of joy, but it seems the boys needed a more vocal assurance. He was more than happy to give it to them.

“Of course,” he replied ruffling Luhan’s hair, “I’ll stay for as long as you want me to.”

 

“That’s a forever, then!” Sehun squealed raising his arms high up. Too cute Chanyeol kissed his cheeks.

 

 

 

Soon, Grandma and the boys make their leave. Chanyeol and Baekhyun see them to the door, laughing at the boys who raced themselves to the elevator and had Sehun impatiently punching the buttons, like they weren’t just pleading a while ago to stay.

 

“I’m happy for you.” Grandma said to Chanyeol, looking deep into the eyes that now finally shined.

 

Chanyeol brought her into a very tight embrace, whispering a deeply sincere ‘thank you’ that meant more than simple words of gratitude. After all, she was one of the people who never left him despite pushing them away.

 

“It’s amazing how they got attached to you so fast.” Grandma told Baekhyun. “I’m glad. You are a wonderful young man.”

 

Baekhyun did not know what to say or how to even respond. All that reeled in his mind was the question why – he was no one but a simple undeserving Byun Baekhyun. He merely gave Grandma a bashful look and a quiet “thank you”. And when he was brought into his own embrace, he cracked a little inside, for he fears that this would be the last.

 

 

After the elevator dings close and the three disappear with one last wave and cheery goodbyes from the boys, Baekhyun remains still in his place. Chanyeol was again amused by how apparent it was that Baekhyun was, for some odd reason, affected by a simple parting. The young man’s eyes shined with what looks like unshed tears.

 

“They adore you a lot.” He said, tugging Baekhyun back into the penthouse and snapping him out of his reverie.

 

Baekhyun said nothing. He just squeezed Chanyeol’s hand as he looked back one last time to the elevators with their numbers descending one floor at a time.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

It was only for a short while was the couple left alone when the doorbell rang once again. Not expecting any more visitors, Chanyeol opened the front door and was surprised to see Jongdae and Jongin greeting him with sheepish grins.

 

“Hey, elf ears. Junmyeon asked us to drop by for this.” Jongdae greets first and held up a small bag. “He would’ve done it himself but he’s out with his parents.”

 

“First aid refills.” Jongin responds at Chanyeol’s raised eyebrow. “You know how he is, said it couldn’t wait in case of another emergency.”

 

Chanyeol snorts at that and accepts the bag from Jongdae. As expected of the older.

 

“We heard what happened.” Jongin stated with concern, reminded of the reason why they were sent here in the first place. “Is Baekhyun alright?”

 

“Tao went berserk when he heard.” Jongdae added with a frown. “How is he?”

 

For a moment, they share an awkward silence, with Chanyeol not replying to any of them. But the taller breaks into a smile and the answer he gave the two was something they last expected.

 

“Why don’t you find out yourselves?” Chanyeol opened the door wide as an invitation. “Baekhyun would be happy to see you two. He’s been missing you both.”

 

Completely caught off guard for they knew all too well of Chanyeol’s preference to keep his own space private, Jongdae and Jongin were left speechless and gaping. Chanyeol chuckled at their expressions, especially when they looked at each other wide eyed before looking back at him. It was understandable, since this is probably the first time he had invited them so openly, so willingly, and even – so warmly.

 

“N-No. No it’s okay. We just… really dropped by in Junmyeon’s favor.” Jongdae stuttered, shaking his head more in disbelief than rejection.

 

“You have plans after this?” Chanyeol asks them both; the warmth in his eyes apparent. The once cold, serious friend they were made used to, absent.

 

“Well no—but…” Jongin too splutters, scratching his head perplexed at the sudden situation. “…but you don’t like it when people visit you—” he unwittingly voiced out, earning a painful shove of elbow from Jongdae.

 

Chanyeol just laughs; lighthearted with that crinkle in the corner of his eyes that again, renders the two speechless. A bigger grin tugged on his lips as he replied, “before,” and left with the door wide open like he was not taking a no for an answer. “Come in. Join us for lunch.”

 

 

 

 

Reluctant, nervous, dumbfounded – Jongdae and Jongin enters the penthouse like it was their first time. They could not help but eye the place, and like all the other guests that knew of Chanyeol’s history, the changes they see were immediate.

 

“Jongin! Jongdae!” a squeal broke them out of their thoughts.

 

Staggering his way towards them, they are greeted by a flailing ball of bright smiles and an enthusiastic voice.

 

“Baekhyun? Why are you walking?!” Jongin screeches in concern, being aware of his wounds as told by both Junmyeon and Kyungsoo. His arms automatically went around Baekhyun’s waist to support his weight as the smaller lunged in for a big welcoming embrace.

 

“I missed you guys!” Baekhyun delightedly expressed, moving from Jongin to Jongdae next.

 

“Woah, Baek! You’re still injured!” Jongdae exclaims in the choke-like hug he received. “Jesus, calm down you giant child!” he yells when all Baekhyun does is laugh loudly in his arms.

 

Now even though they were frenzied with worry over the wounds they knew Baekhyun had, they both still felt elated over his presence. Oh, how they missed this sunshine of a friend. So even if in the outside they nagged and chided over stubborn ears for Baekhyun was too happy to care of the stinging pain, Jongdae and Jongin were all smiles in the inside.

 

 

 

 

 

In the kitchen Jongdae went and left the two alone to bond. Chanyeol had on a smile as he prepared lunch with an unusual skip in his movements that had Jongdae chuckling to himself when he peeked. It hasn’t been that long since Baekhyun stayed over here at the penthouse, hasn’t been that long since he came barging into their lives with his joyful personality – yet the changes made in just that span of time was astounding. The dark, heavy air that once filled the place the last time they visited uninvited, or even back when Chanyeol was still known as a giant goofball, absent too.

 

“Need a hand?” Jongdae asked walking in. “I can’t really cook, but just give me instructions and I’ll be right at it.”

 

Laughing, Chanyeol does indeed give him a few instructions that Jongdae was more than happy to follow. He goes straight to the fridge, but upon opening it, he merely gives it an once-over and looks at Chanyeol raising his brows.

 

“Junmyeon,” Chanyeol answers sensing the silent question.

 

Awed, Jongdae gapes his mouth. “Really? But your fridge was never this full before.” He exclaims. Remembering all the times he had visited against the man’s will to pester him of his presence. In all the years Chanyeol had been living in this penthouse, his health was the least of his concern. Even with Junmyeon’s care, it was never to this extent. Yet here his fridge is – another change, another difference.

 

The fridge was fully stocked. There were several Tupperware’s in different stacks with different premade food, packs of frozen ones kept at the freezer, and even the drawers at the bottom full; all healthily prepared with no junk food in sight. It was an oddity for a busy student like Chanyeol living alone, for someone who used to stock up his fridge with mostly take out and unhealthy meals.

 

“Mm, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol adds, like it was enough of an explanation. And perhaps it was. Jongdae just shakes his head in reply.

 

“Damn, Mama Myeon just got serious.”

 

 

 

 

 

There was a lot of catching up to do even though it hasn’t been that long since they last saw each other. But the restrictions placed in their friendship – with all the hiding and pretend of being strangers – it was rare for Baekhyun to have some quality time with Jongin alone. Especially with the fact that Jongin was Kyungsoo’s boyfriend, so any form of separate bonding was more or less spent between the other two.

 

 

Jongin was cooing and cuddling the munchkin cat, with Foofoo purring and rubbing himself against his chest perched in the man’s arms like a baby. That at the same time was also asking him if he was alright, if his wounds have healed, if he was still in pain – voicing out all sorts of concern over his wellbeing like it was but an old routine.

 

“Kyungsoo said it was unlike you,” Jongin looked at Baekhyun, who was caressing Mimi to sleep on his lap. “You sure everything’s okay?”

 

“I’m okay, really.” Baekhyun assured him, sending a lovely smile his way with an odd happiness radiating in him.

 

 

Baekhyun was not complaining over their lack of quality times together though. How can he? When Jongin had always treated him like he was no stranger, like he was no new addition to their circle that have been together for years, paying attention to him the same way Kyungsoo did – with a heartwarming kind of care that was similar to Minho and Junmyeon’s yet different at the same time.

 

 

“You can tell us anything, you can tell me anything. Just know that.”

 

 

 

 

 

Taking out some plates in the cupboards, Jongdae kept on glancing at Chanyeol. He was curious about something, but he also did not want to ruin what seemed to be a happy atmosphere. Chanyeol noticed him though, and said quite a playful ‘spill’.

 

After much deliberation, Jongdae cautiously asked what he had been thinking for a while now. “So.. I heard you met.. Yejin.” He took a peak at the tall man to see his reaction.

 

Chanyeol did not flinch, did not even stiffen at the mention of a name that used to rile him up in seconds and turn his mood foul. He simply just continued on what he was doing, finishing the meal they were about to serve like Jongdae had just not brought up something important.

“I did,” was all he answered, too lighthearted it left Jongdae utterly perplexed.

 

“O..kay. Um…” Jongdae leaned onto the counter, staring at Chanyeol’s back like he grew two heads. “How did it.. go? If you don’t mind me asking,” he slowly asked.

 

“Well. It went well.”

 

When Chanyeol glanced at Jongdae, he was still giving him such a scrutinizing look. He laughs; perhaps his answer was too unexpected. Then again, it was. Even he himself was surprised by how everything played out.

 

“I think, if I never met Baekhyun, things would have been different.” Chanyeol began to explain, pensive. “I would still be angry, depressed, affected. I would have probably screamed at her and caused a scene. Maybe I wouldn’t even have the courage to meet her in the first place. Maybe I would still hole myself up, continue pushing everyone away who tried to help me because.. I did not want to be helped.

 

“But that’s not what happened.” Chanyeol sighs, dropping what he was doing for a moment to turn around and lean against the counter to look straight at Jongdae, whose stare softened at his words. “I met Baekhyun.”

 

Jongin and Baekhyun’s laughter suddenly echoed through the hallways that brought a smile on Chanyeol’s lips. Pleasant sounds to his ears if he were asked.

 

“I guess, I just needed closure,” he continued. “I wanted to know what I’ve done wrong. The mistakes I did that drove her to.. do what she’s done. What I lacked, why Yongguk. All the why’s. If what we had were even real in the first place.” He shook his head like he wanted to shake the memories away.

 

Silence reigned between them. Jongdae did not know what to say. While Chanyeol’s situation was not a secret, especially between them friends, he had also never opened up about it. They understood that the only people Chanyeol could talk to were Minho and Junmyeon. And perhaps it was meant to be that way, the two oldest always seemed to know what the right words to say no matter the situation, unlike the rest of them who struggled in searching the best way to respond.

 

“I was afraid, too. I have always been afraid.” Chanyeol spoke again, more softer. “That if I meet her, I would find out I still love her, I’m still not over. That even after all that’s happened, even after the pain and heartbreak I was put through – I would still be willing to accept her back, to trust her.

 

“It’s different, you know? What your mind tells you from your heart.

 

“I got even more scared when I started falling for Baekhyun. Because what if.. what if even if I loved him so much already, I still love her too?” Chanyeol lowers his head, feeling guilty over the thought of the possibility. “That in the end, I would choose her over him.”

 

“But you didn’t. You chose Baekhyun.” Jongdae stated. “You moved on.”

 

Chanyeol gave Jongdae a smile, of relief and gladness for the truth of his words. “I did. But it took me meeting Yejin to know I have.”

 

“That’s true,” Jongdae responded with his own grin. He picked up the plates and said “but you’re here now, and all is well,” before walking to the dining to set the table.

 

All is well. Chanyeol just laughs and shakes his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The television was left as no more but background noise to them. Jongin was busy fixing Chanyeol’s first aid kit with the refills Junmyeon had asked them to drop by for, even though drop ended up an unexpected stay. Baekhyun was watching silently from the side, fondness reflecting in his stare at how Jongin concentrated with the simple task. Joy bubbled in him, with how his friend’s phone lighted up every so often presenting to him his and Kyungsoo’s couple picture on the screen – a sweet image that showed how perfect they were for each other, if he were asked. And then he felt giddy, a blanket of melting warmth enveloping him, because despite the numerous notifications he obviously had, Jongin had long put his phone on silent and ignored it all to focus on his time with Baekhyun at the moment.

 

‘I’m with you’, Jongin had told him earlier when he asked if he would ever answer his phone. Baekhyun was priority.

 

On the coffee table was Sehun’s drawing still proudly displayed in the open sketchbook. Baekhyun had not bothered to keep it back along with the rest. It distracted him, from paying attention to the show and to Jongin’s phone that lighted yet again and was ignored for the hundredth time.

 

“Jongin?” Baekhyun called out and continued when he received a hum in reply. “What’s your.. family like?”

 

It caught Jongin off guard and had him pausing. When he turned to look at the other, Baekhyun was staring thoughtfully at a drawn image. ‘Rainbow Family’, it read in bold colorful crayons.

“Sehun’s drawing?” he asked and laughed when Baekhyun tilted his head towards him, perplexed. “His name, it’s written below.” Jongin took hold of the sketchbook and glanced at Baekhyun with a happy smile. “You’re using it too.”

 

“Not.. really.” Baekhyun answered shyly. The sketchbook was Jongin’s gift after all, and the man noticed it immediately. “That’s all Sehun’s.”

 

“I didn’t know you’ve met the boys. That’s nice.” Jongin flipped through the pages, looking at each of the drawing filled ones. He flips back at the Rainbow Family page, and grins when he remembers the ridiculous yet nonetheless adorable nicknames they were given. “He calls me ‘Bear ajusshi’ and Jongdae ‘Dino ajusshi’.”

 

Baekhyun giggles at the names. Sehun was truly too cute. So all of them have nicknames, he thought. Although he felt a pinch of hurt because he doesn’t have one of his own.

 

“So, you were asking about my family?” Jongin goes back to the question.

 

Feeling shy again, Baekhyun just nods his head.

 

“Well—” Jongin places the sketchbook back down and arranges himself to fully face Baekhyun in his seat before he continued to speak, “—they’re loud, they’re frustrating, annoying, messy, nosy. Practically all over the place. Sometimes, you hate them so much you don’t want to see them at all. A lot of times they get you so angry you wish to curse them.”

 

Baekhyun blinked at his words and stared at Jongin confused. “They’re all… negative.” He frowned. That is not what he expected.

 

Chuckling, Jongin just shrugs at him. “Yes, but I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he continued. “My sisters are nosy, but they’re also protective. They order me around a lot because I’m the youngest, but they also take good care of me. My dad can be scary, but he’s also playful. My mom doesn’t know how to cook and can be lazy sometimes, but she’s also very sweet and attentive.” Jongin touches his phone for the first time since he silenced it, and opened it up to show Baekhyun the few messages he had replied to before ignoring all the others: texts asking if he was eating at home and what time he will be home. “Them tre

Please log in to read the full chapter