the party - two

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

giving up

 

Over the course of the party, Jongin had been slowly and quietly introducing Kyungsoo further into his family - an act that boldly expresses how serious he is in their relationship. Unlike Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Jongin and Kyungsoo knew what they were getting into, and Kyungsoo was ready.

 

Word about their relationship easily spreads out, from the simple fact alone that Jongin wasn't trying to hide anything in the first place. And with Jongin's status as a son of a Kim, judgement and assumptions were inevitable.

 

Baekhyun hears different kinds of gossip being passed around. Many didn't care, but many also questioned the relevancy of who exactly Do Kyungsoo is. An irrelevant number but enough to struck a chord on Baekhyun's already six feet underground self-esteem.

 

Do Kyungsoo is merely a son of a chef and a housewife. While they were not poor, they were also not part of the socialite circle.

 

Baekhyun separates himself from Chanyeol and the rest for awhile, as they all tend to their responsibilities as sons of their socialite parents.

 

He finds Kyungsoo hanging out in the balcony, shrouded by darkness in the corner hidden away from the crowd of the party. Kyungsoo has surely heard what was being said about him.

 

“How do you do it?” Baekhyun stands beside the baker who was unfazed by his sudden presence, and they both look out to the pretty scenery of trafficked roads below. “How do you ignore what they say about you?”

 

“Who says I do?” chuckles Kyungsoo. “it's not easy. I never even wanted to go here in the first place.”

 

Baekhyun stares at Kyungsoo wide eyed. The moment he and Jongin walked inside the event with their arms tightly linked had the mouths of the people immediately running. It was hard to miss what they said about him, and many weren't nice at all. But Baekhyun has not once seen Kyungsoo falter. The entire time he stood beside Jongin full of confidence and dignity.

 

Kyungsoo laughs at his expression. He squeezes his hand and Baekhyun can tell Kyungsoo has been hurt tonight.

 

“Don't worry,” the baker says. “For as long as Jongin is with me, then I can try my hardest to be strong.”

 

Baekhyun nods and squeezes Kyungsoo's hand just as tightly. He turns back to the crowd where he spots both Jongin and Chanyeol together talking with a bunch of strangers. They catch their eyes. Jongin unhesitatingly waves at them while Chanyeol merely smiles their way.

 

When Baekhyun turns to Kyungsoo, he had on a bright grin waving back. They were so cute, but Baekhyun also felt his heart ache. One was free from hiding their relationship, while the other one was still stuck in the restrains of a secret.

 

But Baekhyun also saw how the people stared. They raised their eyebrows at Kyungsoo, while they completely disregarded Baekhyun, and he much preferred it that way, to be honest. Be a ghost in these people's eyes.

 

 

♠️

 

 

Baekhyun bumps into Yejin in the grand foyer of the hotel after he strays further from the world inside the grand hall. He walks through extravagant chandeliers within walls of white and gold and admires the floors of marble and stairs all covered in red carpet. The hotel across Baekhyun's apartment was absolutely nothing compared to this. That place was a dumpster.

 

“They chose the place well, don't you think?” Yejin greets Baekhyun with pretty crescent eyes after he turned towards her voice. “Hey, stranger.”

 

“You're here!” Baekhyun breathed out a sigh of relief; incredibly glad to meet a person he didn't know he desperately needed tonight. “Oh my god, you're here.” He repeats, rushing in to engulf her in his embrace; for a moment completely forgetting her real identity.

 

“Indeed, I am,” Yejin laughs wrapping her arms

Please log in to read the full chapter