thirty-five

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 3443

 

 

Yearend preparations for this year’s festival and holidays ran smoothly for majority. Of course there are a few mishaps, unfortunate last minute problems, and minor difficulties; but overall it has been great. And finally, after months of preparations, hardships, busy schedules, and last minute push of efforts, it is finally here – the days that Éileeit staff, professors, students, and even outsiders alike have been waiting for months on end. That means Team E.B., Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s efforts would finally soon be seen.

 

Junmyeon has finalized his internship at the hospital, leaving not before having been thrown a mini congratulations party by his co-staff for him along with his co-interns for doing a job well done and a hope to see them again soon. Minho and Jongdae have finally taken their exams after months of grueling torture of burying themselves in books, books, and more books. Tao’s runway finals project along with his co-majors’ is now finally set for show to the public. Jongin’s hardship of practicing day and night for weeks for his awaited performance is finally polished and set for its awaiting scheduled show. Kyungsoo too has done a great job at his finals practicum – cooking and serving for real time customers at a real time event, earning him a ‘great job’ and a pat at the back by their head chef who was also his professor. Along with them is also a great job done by Chanyeol who excelled his business exams as well an A+ from a well prepared defence presentation. And of course, last but not least, after months of painting and working non-stop, money worth spent, Baekhyun and his co-majors’ exhibit is finally up and ready for opening.

 

 

The great amount of support Baekhyun was given was a huge inspiration, a huge help to keep moving forward. Although the support was given in a discreet manner, it was more than enough to help him live through the hardships he had to go through. How can you not? When the support you received was just as heartwarming as it is meaningful. And in seven different ways too – invading and filling his locker of messages filled with encouragements.

 

Junmyeon’s cute little notes snuck into his sketchpad, his pencil case, his brush sets.

            Work hard Baekhyun!

            I can see the exhibit’s set-up. I’m excited!

            Don’t forget to eat in-between work, okay?

 

Along with Junmyeon’s sweet notes were Tao’s adorable pictures of himself with notes written underneath.

Feigning anger face – ‘Don’t you dare go to my fashion show if you don’t finish your artworks! Kay?! I need to see them.’

With a pout on his lips and matching puppy dog eyes – ‘If I go to your exhibit, you go to my fashion event too, Aight?’

A lovely smile – ‘My children’s collection I designed for you are included in my event so be there!!’

 

Jongdae’s supporting messages paired along his never ending pranks.

A coke bottle but its coke replaced by that of an energy drink – ‘Nu uh uh Baek, health first before fun.’

A plastic roach with a message of support taped underneath – ‘This will come get you if you dare quit on your projects.

His pencil case replaced with gummy bears – ‘Eat, breath, and see you at your exhibit!’

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo’s combined effort in the packed lunch they leave in his locker with.

A cute bento box with the words ‘Fighting!’ spelled with vegetables on top of rice.

A sandwich – one with the words ‘You can do it!’ - Soo and the other ‘Rooting for your artworks’ - NiNi; all spelled with ketchup.

Kyungsoo’s famous Mint Choc-Chip cupcakes with choco bits shaped into a smiling face – one perfectly done while the other a mess.

 

Baekhyun was especially touched at Minho's effort of encouragement. Although few and messily done, it was Minho's; the known original ice prince of Team E.B. leaving little notes alongside Junmyeon’s inside Baekhyun’s locker.

            I will scold you if you fail a class this sem.

            Junmyeon keeps nagging to me how you look like you’re not eating. EAT!!

            If Junmyeon flicks on me one more time about your tiny scratches, prepare!!!

 

Of course, nothing can beat Park Chanyeol’s way of support. That giant just sends a ton of different fluttery feelings inside of him every time. His way involved not much use of words, only the seeming essential ones that left Baekhyun floating in the air.

            A small box of chocolates with a note inside that says Hey.

            A beautiful red rose with a note underneath with the words I miss you.

            A small jar of candies with a note of an I love you.

All in scrawny handwriting.

 

 

So to say that Baekhyun was not pumped out all throughout was a complete understatement. In fact, all these little notes, these little meaningful gestures, helped him get through the whole process of busy preparations in a breeze. A huge difference to the past years he had spent the yearends in university.

And due to all of this distracting happiness, he completely forgets all his worries. That is.. until he decides to take another stroll to the park on a late Sunday afternoon a few days before the big Day 1.

 

 

 

 

Byun Baekhyun never really liked the holidays as much as he never really enjoyed family Sundays. Even while everyone looked forward to the coming festivities and the much awaited break, he was one of those who didn’t. Don’t get him wrong, he did look forward to doing nothing for the next two weeks; however, he did not look forward to spending it alone.

 

This time of year was usually spent in melancholic air. Even back when his grandmother was still alive, he longed for something more. It is not that his grand mamma’s presence did not make him happy, no. He was eternally grateful of her lovely presence surrounding him this time of year and every other day for that matter. But he could not help but feel incomplete, especially when you’re surrounded by the love of families and parents, the buying of gifts, the holding of parties, and the singing of carols together with a group; all of which he has never experienced before. The nearest experience he had was when he was invited to Kyungsoo’s family’s Christmas party a year ago. That was the first time he saw how a holiday was celebrated – one of the first few events that slapped him hard of his different reality. As well as solidified his fear of revealing the truth.

 

The party involved a lot of people, majority wearing red or green in light of the occasion. There were families – parents and children alike, scattered around the house. There were tables of food – buffet style. Kyungsoo’s house was filled with beautiful decorations that were beautifully lighted by the evening. Baekhyun was left absolutely awestruck. But along that he was left feeling immensely intimidated, smaller than he has ever felt before. The party involved a lot of people, a lot of apparently high class people. The shame he felt that day was unimaginable, the want to leave the whole time stuck in his head.

The string of questions he received from strangers who socialized did not help either and made things rather worse. What are you doing here alone? Where are your parents? Family members? Where are you from? What do you do? What do you take? Ever heard of this or that? (naming of expensive brands or high class places or well-known names). What do you plan after graduation? Are you taking over a family business? Or the times when people would tell random stories such as I’m going on a vacation abroad. My parents paid for my whole vacation this break! My parents gave me this and that it’s so cool!~ I’d rather spend my holidays with my friends than with my family pfft.

Everything left his mind a buzz of dizzying thoughts. The thought of telling the truth wiped away to the back of his head seeing how it seems he is the only odd one out of rich people around him. Feeling a sense of shame because compared to the bedazzling well-dressed people carrying huge expensive gifts around him, he stands there in the middle feeling underdressed and unfit for the whole occasion. All the more the fact that he has zero stories he could tell that could level with the ones he was told.. stories in general really.

 

In the end, Baekhyun ends up trying his best to be one with the wall. He is thankful though, even though Kyungsoo is busy with attending to other people as a party host along with his family, he still makes sure to make time for Baekhyun in between – constantly asking him i

Please log in to read the full chapter