Loneliness is my company

WILD, RICH PUPPETS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  *A few years ago*

"Suzy what are you doing, straighten your back." Her mother nagged at her, "Lift up your chin and raise your head high. Photographer, please make sure you capture her good sides."

It was around 2 a.m in the morning and Suzy has been shooting for a photoshoot for almost 8 hours straight without rest. Her body was willing to give up several times already but she just couldn't seem to with her mother around. Her mom just came back home from Paris after a month worth of fashion shows she participated in, and Suzy couldn't help but to admit that she missed her own mother for once. But ofcourse, she didn't expect much other than photoshoots and schedules her mother would book for her once she arrived.

Suzy decided to block her mother's voice and decided to just look straight in the camera and smile. She couldn't dissappoint her own mother, the people who were working so hard for this photoshoot, let alone her own fans who are anticipating for the realease of this magazine. Her shoulders felt heavy and her smile gradually became less sincere. 

During break while she was getting her make-up fixed, she was hoping to atleast catch a conversation with her mom but she was too busy negotiating on the phone.

"Are you alright? You seem exhausted, it's good to take a break from work once in a while you know?" The make-up artist told her while touching up her lips.

"Don't worry I'm fine. Plus, it's not really my decision if I get to have a break or not anyways.." 

Her mother approached her and dismissed the others to talk with her in private. "You have two more photoshoots after this and then a recording for a commercial." Her mother said while still occupied on the phone tucking it between her shoulder and neck.

"Umm mom, actually I was wondering if I could take a break for today?" Suzy asked hesitantly. 

Her mom turned towards her with an amused look on her face, "Honey, what's gotten into you? Don't pass on these opportunities that are pracitcally being given to you."

"I know, I'm really fortunate and thankful, but I was just hoping to spend some time with you especially since you've been gone for so long."

Her mother removed the phone from her hear and looked at her sternly. "Suzy, you're not seven years old anymore I expect that you are already mature and old enough. Do you know how many people would kill to take your place? You can't ruin your career over something so petty and childish."

"I know bu-"

"No more buts. You already know the expecations that the public expects form you, now you don't want to bring them down now do you? Don't you dare become the disappointment in our family, I will not let you become one understand?"

"....Yes, mother." Suzy replied with her head hung low. She never felt so emberassed and humiliated by her own mother before. dissapointed scolded her infront of all these people, in front of all these proffesionals, she couldn't dare lift her head up. She didn't want to see their eyes filled with pity, feel the akward atmoshphere, or hear the whispers.

Her mother noticing her daughter's stoic expression, she bent down and kissed her forehead, "I'm sorry honey but you know I'm just doing this for your own good right? Also sweetie, if we're in public places I prefer you not call me mom okay? Never let your gaurd down or show your soft side in front of anyone, they will only take advantage of that."

"Yes..Mrs.Oh." Suzy replied with a heartless expression.

"Alright. As long as you understand, just remember you make me so proud." Her mother said with half a smile before picking up her phone again.

Suzy hated those words so much, the "you make me so proud" line made her sick to her stomach. Was that her only reason in life? To make people proud? To please others? What about herself? Doesn't she get a say about her own life? If she doesn't meet people's expectations or made them dissapointed, does that mean that they would leave her because she isn't worth the same thing as when she made them proud? 

No one really knew her for herself as a person but for her accomplishments that she achieved. Who really knew Suzy? Who was she behind the facade of her popularity? Who is Suzy when all of her success is stripped from her?

Suzy rushed to the bathroom when she felt tears brim around her eyes. She closed the door and locked it leaving her reflection in the mirror staring back at her. Then the first tear, that tiny, salty, droplet of moisture was her only means of escape. Although it's just a small tear, it was the heaviest thing in the world. It ran down her cheeck and then another and then another until it all came gushing out of her continously.

She leaned back against the door wiping her eyes furiously and finally crouched down to her knees letting it all out, crying and weeping until hurt. Frustrated knowing that no matter what she can do or attempt to do, she can't change the situation. She could hear the voices of the staff outside wondering if they should bother her but was thankful to that one voice suggesting to leave her alone. She reached down to the back pocket of her pants and dialled a number she would always diall during situations like these.

"Hello?" The person on the line answered.

"Hey." Suzy said back holding in her tears.

"What's up Sue?"

"Say...who exactly am I?"

"What are you talking about? You're Suzy."

"But who exactly is that? Is my success the only thing that defines my existance? Apparently that's what everyone is implying."

"Apparently I'm not everyone then because that's not what I think. Yeah you're pretty snobby, a cry baby, clumsy, and clueless...like really clueless. But that's what makes you..you. Right? I didn't become your friend because you're some big supertar, but beause I just happened to run into you while I was lost in that garden." He chuckled.

Suzy smiled at his words that always manages to ease her troubles.

"Did you smile?" He asked.

"What? No I didn't."

"So...what's wrong?"

"There's nothing wrong..just..needed someone to talk to, that's all." Her eyes watering once again. She came to notice that life would be such an awful and ugly place without friends.

"Come on, you think I don't know something is wrong?"

Suzy wanted to confess what happened with her mother but she decided that it would be best not to say anything considering that his relationship with his parents was not that great either. 

"Yeah I guess something happened. But..it would be great if we could not talk about it."

"Do you want me to hang up then?"

"..No, don't..just stay a little longer." She pleaded.

"Your wish is my commnand." He repiled cheeckly. 

"Thanks Kai.."

They both stayed on the phone not saying a word but kept each other company through silence. He was always that friend that could be silent with her in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay in a moment of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face the reality or her powerlessness. He cherished her so much more than she could ever know.

"Are you crying?" He broke the long silence after hearing quiet muffles.

Suzy sniffled, "A little bit." She laughed.

"The funny part is, I'm supposed to be shooting for this photoshoot but instead I'm here in this small bathroom crouched down on the floor crying my eyes out."

"You still want me to ignore that everything's okay after you say that?"

"Haha yeah *sniffle* but thank you."

"For what? I didn't do anything, strange girl."

"For exactly that. Consoling is nice but I like it when you just listen to me and keep me company. It's nice to know that someone's there.."

"Oh, well then your welcome. I think you should be heading back to the shoot now. Just remember that no matter what you do or what happens, you can never disappoint me Suzy. You'll always be the Suzy I have always known, stop worrying about trying to impress people and just be you, remember, you can't please everybody."

"I know..I-I-.." Suzy stuttered drowning herself in her own tears once again.

"I'm just really scared right now..I'm so scared Kai..what if I can't live up to people's expectations and only bring them failure and dissapointment?" She sputtered while gripping onto the phone. "What if they all leave me?"

"Suzy..." Kai trailed off not bearing to hear Suzy's sad and fragile words.

"Just remember this Sue, you're only human. There is only so much you can do." Kai calmly replied back.

"And one more thing. I will never leave you. I can't leave you. Sehun, Bora and I, will always be on your side even if the enitre world will be against you. You don't need everyone else's acpetance because we already accepted you with open arms. You'll always have us."

Suzy listened quietly to his sincere words and her sad tears became beautiful tears of gratitude. 

"You always know what to say." Suzy greeted back after a period of silence.

"I do don't I?

"Alright. I'm gonna go back out there. Oh and Kai?"

"Mhm?"

"Thank you."

*Back to present time*

The flashback all came back to Suzy after landing her eyes on her mother who's intimidating aura hasn't changed one bit. They were finally back. After months from being absent from home, their parents were finally back. Although who knows for how long, they could dissappear the next morning all over again, leaving without a goodbye or a single trace of when they would be coming back.

"Honey, how have you been?" Suzy's mother asked while kissing her cheek softly.

"I've been fine mother, and you?" Suzy questioned back while getting a wiff of her mother's strong fragrance.

"Oh same old, same old. The European tour was much more of a drag than I though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter