As Time Goes By

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was another one of their video calls.

After the break up, Yuri left Seoul and lived with her family, back in Goyang. She continued her study there. And despite the ending of their romantic relationship, Yuri would still contact Jessica. Either through phone or by a video chat. Sometimes she would visit Seoul too.

Contacting Jessica was something ordinary for Yuri. She had erased everything about their 100 days together from her journal, so there was nothing left to remind her about her relationship with Jessica. She only remembered that Jessica was her best friend, so it was natural for her to keep in touch with the latter.

Now they were talking about the new semester.

“Really? You are all in the same class? For real?! ALL OF YOU?!” The girl in the screen was wide-eyed and shrieking.

“Yeah! I know right?! So awesome. I can’t believe it too. Geez, I never think Mr. Lee is so generous like this.”

“You’re so lucky!!”

“Yup. Even Taeyeon is on the same class. Can you imagine how happy Tiffany is? ”

Yuri laughed. “Yeah. She is so whipped about that glasses girl.”

“Don’t even mention it. Taeyeon is more whipped, you know.”

“Really?”

“Yup, two whipped in one package.”

“Seriously, how can you handle them? There must be so many PDA all the time.”

“Don’t remind me,” Jessica groaned. “It was so…eww!” The brunette girl shuddered.

Yuri laughed at her friend’s expression. “That bad, huh? I think you’re too cold to be affected by them.”

“Yah! You know I’m not like that. I still have heart,” she pouted.

“Just kidding,” Yuri grinned.

“Geez,” Jessica snickered before chuckling. “But it’s okay. Although sometimes it’s a bit overwhelming, but I know it’s because they love each other. We can’t stop them from loving each other, right?”

Yuri thought she heard something more than just the usual opinion in Jessica’s word. But she shrugged it off. It could be just the effect of the sound system and internet connection.

“Yeah, right. So, how about you? Any cute guy? Crushes?” Yuri looked at the camera with an expecting and curious look, waiting for the other girl’s answer. Although she considered Jessica as her best friend, but she still wanted to know if somehow her best friend had found someone.

When Jessica didn’t say anything, she had to ask. “Sica? Are you okay?”

The older girl looked up to the screen, stared it for a while. “Uhm...Yuri-yah?”

“Yes?”

Silence.

“What is it, Sica?”

“Err, nothing” Jessica waved her hands in front of the screen. “Never mind. Just forget it.” She smiled awkwardly.

“Huh? You sure?”

“Uh huh,” she nodded.

“Why are you so quiet then? Are you seeing someone? Oooo! Sica has a boyfriend?!” She clapped her hands excitedly.

Jessica shot her one of her flat icy stares. “Hell. No. Nobody here make me interested. And honestly, I don’t have that much interest in dating right now anyway.”

“Huh? Why not?”

“I’m waiting for my right one, I guess,” Jessica shrugged nonchalantly.

“But you did go on dates, right? Although I don’t remember what happened these past months but there’s no way someone as beautiful as you don’t get asked out often.”

Yuri could’ve sworn she saw Jessica blushed a little at her remark.

“I always reject them. Told you, I’m not interested.” Jessica shifted in her seat. “Can we change the subject, please? I don’t have much to say in this. Next!”

“You should open up your heart more, Sica. Maybe one of those guys can be your right one. Who knows, right? Like what happened to Fany and Taeyeon. Who will expect that Fany, the popular and loud girl, eventually falls in love with an unpopular nerdy girl like Taeyeon? And she did the stalking too. Even now, it’s still funny to remember how she went head over heel towards Taeyeon at that time.” She laughed. “You still remember it too, right?”

When she didn’t get any response, she peered into the camera. “Hey, Sica-yah? Did you hear me? Can you see me? Is the connection failing?” She checked her wi-fi connection and chat program.

“N-no…Everything’s fine. I was just…distracted.”

Yuri furrowed her brows. “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah…Sorry…I think I forgot to do something. Uhm…I gotta go, Yuri-yah.”

“Eh? Why? It’s our weekly session and it’s only been…” She checked the call duration. “Twenty minutes! We normally talk for at least an hour, Sica-yah. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing nothing. Look, I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you next week. Talk to you later, okay? Bye bye.” Jessica waved at her, ended the chat and went offline. Yuri hadn’t even said her goodbye.

***

“Nothing nothing. Look, I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you next week. Talk to you later, okay? Bye bye.” Jessica waved at Yuri and quickly closed the chat program and turned off her laptop. She walked to her bed and lied there, hugging her pillow tightly.

She needed to cut the conversation really soon because she didn’t know how long she could hold herself. She knew she wouldn’t survive if she had to see those smiles again and again, and had to discuss about love. When in fact she had feeling for her.

For three months she had tried to let go of what happened. The break up left Jessica in despair at first. It happened for almost a week. It took a lot of efforts from her friends and her parents to cheer her up again. She finally decided to join the drama audition. The busy activity would distract her from the pain a bit.

Yet, her pain never healed completely, even more the wound would bleed again every time she talked to Yuri.

At first, Jessica acted as if their relationship was okay. But it took its toll on her heart. As much as Jessica wanted to see Yuri again, but it hurt her equally when she saw her.

Because Yuri would just think about her as her best friend when Jessica still had the same feeling for her. Yuri would smile like she always did, like there was nothing happened. Jessica knew it wasn’t Yuri’s fault that she acted like that. But it still hurt her. Her heart ached more watching Yuri’s smile.

She couldn’t endure the pain any longer.

Since that video call, she lessened the contact gradually. Their daily chat had turned into an occasional message. Their weekly video chat postponed into a month, two month, three month, and later never happened anymore. Their monthly meet up never took place again.

Finally, Jessica distanced herself from Yuri.

***

Time had passed since then to the day that they had been waiting for. The graduation day.

“Oh my god! I can’t believe it. We’ve finally graduated! Done! Out! No more high school!”

Sooyoung and Yoona were holding hands and jumping up and down like crazy maniacs in the middle of school yard. It was right after their graduation ceremony.

“I know, right?! No more high school! We will be college students soon! Cool, adult, college students! Kyaaa!”

Some other students and parents turned their heads as they walked past the hyper couple. The rest could only stand by and watch their kkab friends in action.

Despite their constant bickering all days, Sooyoung and Yoona were a perfect match in the humor department. After losing a member, Yuri, the jokes were mostly done by them. But most of the times they were too hyper that would only make a scene. Just like this time.

“Hey, kids. Chill!!” scolded the brunette in her cold tone.

Tiffany laughed but the two hypers didn’t pay any attention to their friend’s deat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter