Memory

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They said memory makes us.

 

Aside from being physically different, the defining feature of individuality is rather the fact that everyone each experience life as distinct minds. Even when two people attend the same event, they will experience it differently and thus form different memories of it, which adds to the way in which memory defines us.

 

It makes memory is paramount.

 

The memory contains our identity, our relationship and our whole life, it is what makes people becomes who they are or who they believe themselves to be.

 

Jessica was a person who really treasured memory. For her, it was like the treasure house of the mind wherein the monuments thereof were kept and preserved. Although she loved sleeping, but making memory had been more important for her lately. And just as a treasure should be, a memory should be good too and that's why she always tried to make good memory, especially when she was with Yuri.

 

It had been a hundred days since Jessica and Yuri were together. Jessica was happy that they could make it until now with not much trouble. The new way of breaking the news was really efficient and safe. No hurts and was understood well and quickly.

 

They were almost like a real couple now, except for the fact that Yuri still needed to be reminded about their relationship. But that wasn't too bad either. Because Yuri would always feel like it was their first time together, it made every times they spent together felt like their first date altogether again. Jessica didn't mind though. She was happy too spent a lot of 'first date' with Yuri instead.

 

Today, Jessica and Yuri were having their another 'first date', which actually their 100th day celebration. Yuri was the one who decided to have a dinner at the Japanese restaurant. It was the same restaurant as their first date.

 

"Wah, they've got new menus." Yuri commented as soon as she saw the menu book.

 

Jessica chuckled at that. "Yes, Yuri-ah. It looks delicious, right?"

 

Yuri nodded eagerly. "It makes me even hungrier."

 

"Go choose what you want then. I'll call for the waiter." Jessica raised her hand so the waiter would notice. "What is your order, Yuri-ah?" Jessica asked after the waiter had arrived.

 

California Temaki and Hitsumabushi. Jessica guessed in her mind.

 

"I'll have California Temaki and Hitsumabushi."

 

Jessica smiled when Yuri ordered the exact menus like she had predicted. Actually they had been to the restaurant often and Yuri would always order the same menu all the time so it was easy for Jessica to predict it. Yuri's favorite menus had been engraved perfectly in her memory.

 

She then ordered her own foods and sent off the waiter.

 

"I dont like him," Jessica said as soon as the waiter was out of sight.

 

"Why, he looks nice?"

 

"He is overly nice to you, Yuri-ah. And his eyes were gawking at you. Don't forget about his smile to you either." Jessica complained.

 

Yuri chukled hearing that. "Oww, jealousy is in the air." Yuri teased.

 

"I'm not jealous. I just don't like people seeing at you like that." Jessica tried to act cooly, covering her almost turned red cheeks.

 

"That's the same, Sica-ah," Yuri chuckled again.

 

A merong.

 

"Anyway, I don't have any interest in him. I'm only interested in you, Sica-ah."

 

Jessica's cheeks finally turned a beet red completely.

 

"No one else?"

 

Yuri shook her head.

 

"Not even Jung Soo Yeon?"

 

"Yah! Why are you dragging Girls' Generation into this? It's different matter," Yuri protested.

 

Jessica laughed. "Can't help it. You're crazy about them."

 

"Because I'm a big and loyal fans of them. But you also have to know that I am a totally loyal girlfriend too. And you get the honor to claim this loyal girl as yours." Yuri grinned.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes but smiled too in the end. "Mine."

 

"Yours." Yuri held her grin.

 

"Mine. Mine. Mine." Jessica laughed afterwards, followed by Yuri.

 

"You know, you sound like those birds from Finding Nemo," said Yuri after the laugh.

 

"I don't care. You're mine nonetheless," Jessica meronged.

 

Yuri couldn't stop herself from pinching Jessica's nose. "Why are you so cute, Sica-ah?"

 

Jessica blushed and smiled. "Sometimes I'm glad you wouldn't remember about my possesiveness more than a day. Or maybe you'd find it scary or annoying rather than cute."

 

"Bad news. It actually takes less than a day," Yuri joked. She laughed after that.

 

"Yah!" Jessica pouted.

 

"Just kidding, Sica-ah." Yuri ruffled Jessica's hair before fixing it back together with the owner who'd been smiling.

 

Their foods came not long after that. They enjoyed their dinner while kept teasing and laughing at each other. And like usual, they ended their date by taking photos together.

 

“What should be the caption this time?” Yuri asked Jessica.

 

“Hemm,” Jessica was thinking. “Just make it simple. 100th days with you.” She smiled.

 

“Okay,” Yuri nodded and typed it exactly like Jessica said. She then put her phone away.

 

"Today reminds me of our first date," Jessica said as her mind involuntarily reminisced back to the very first time they had a lunch on this same restaurant as a couple.

 

"Why?"

 

"We ate together at this restaurant at this very same table. And guess what, even the same waiter," Jessica let out a chuckle. "You also ordered hitsumabushi at that time. Without the temaki because it's a new menu. The difference is only that time we had lunch while now we have dinner." Jessica talked with a wide smile on her face. It was a blissful memory for her. The first time they figured out how to make their relationship work. The first time Yuri confessed to Jessica. Jessica remembered every details of that special day.

 

Yuri, on the other hand, only smiled a bit. Although she had seen their photo from their first date, but as much as she wanted to remember anything Jessica just said, she just couldn't. There was no memory of it in her brain.

 

"I wish I could remember it, even just a bit. You looked genuinely happy on our very first photo," Yuri said, failed to hide her own sadness.

 

Jessica looked at Yuri and noticed the different expression from her own. She mentally cursed at herself from bringing such topic. Memory had always been a sensitive memory for both of them. And in times like this, Jessica hated memory. Why wouldn't it be nice to Yuri, even for just once?

 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't talk about it. It doesn't really matter. I'm happy with you. Then, now, in the future." Jessica said sincerely.

 

Looking at the sincere Jessica, Yuri's sadness gradually went away. "So, it's already 100 days?"

 

"Yes. Why?”

 

“We should celebrate it then."

 

"Didn't we just celebrate it?"

 

"It's just a dinner, Sica-ah."

 

"What's wrong with only a dinner, Yuri-ah?"

 

"It's..." Yuri sighed. "I'm sorry I don't prepare anything for you on such a special occasion like this."

 

"It's okay, Yuri-ah."

 

"What kind of girlfriend I am? You must be disappointed." The sadness and guilt came back again.

 

"Hey, hey, I'm not, okay?" Jessica tried to convince the other girl.

 

"I should have done better. It must be hard for you to have a girlfriend like me who can never remember anything." Yuri sighed.

 

"Yuri-ah, please don't say things like that," the brunette girl softly said. She wasn't fond of self-blaming Yuri.

 

Sometimes Yuri would get really frustrated by her incapability o fmaking new memory. She felt like she didn't make a change at all while in fact there was a lot happened to herself. It felt like she lived in the past. And moreover she felt really powerless in the matter of planning and celebrating. It never went well for her. "But it's true. I couldn't even done something special for you today."

 

"Yuri-ah, listen to me," Jessica held Yuri's hands and looked into Yuri's eyes. "Being with you is already special to me. I don't need anything else."

 

Yuri blushed in reflex but tried to hide it. "But still..."

 

"Still you're the best girlfriend I can think of." Jessica cut in. "No matter how childish and weird you are. No matter how naive and helpless you can be. And no matter how short your memory is."

 

Yuri's cheek blushed even more that made Jessica laughed.

 

"Really, Yuri-ah. It doesn't matter. I don't care about anything else except you next to me." Jessica reassured with a smile.

 

Yuri slowly smiled. "You're cheesy and annoying at the same time."

 

"Can't help," Jessica meronged. "I just point out the truth. I like your good and bad."

 

Yuri laughed. "Okay, okay. Always good with reasoning, huh?"

 

Another merong and another laughter escaped Yuri's mouth.

 

"Shall we go now?" Jessica said after she stopped laughing.

 

They left their table and then Yuri reached for Jessica's hand to intertwine it with her own. Jessica smiled and tightened their hands. They soon walked out from the restaurant hand in hand.

 

"Where do you want to go?" Yuri asked as they walked along the pavement.

 

"Anywhere. I just want to be with you."

 

Yuri chuckled. "Now I understand why there are so many notes about you being cheesy."

 

"Yah!" The shorter girl freed her intertwined hand and hit Yuri's arm. "It's not even cheesy. I'm serious, you know," she pouted.

 

Yuri chuckled even more. She pinched the tip of Jessica's nose playfully. "Okay, okay. You're not cheesy, but I still can call you cutie, right?" Yuri showed her widest grinned to the other girl.

 

Jessica's cheek had turned crimson red.

 

Yuri saw it. "Okay, cutie it is," she chuckled before took Jessica's hand again. She held it tight. "Now, let's just see where our legs lead us to." Yuri said.

 

Jessica hmmed and nodded. She was really serious about her words earlier. The destination didn't matter for her, but the company did. And eventually they were heading to the riverside, where people usually visited during weekends due to the beautiful view and soothing environment. Just then...

 

"Aaaakk..."

 

Yuri was surprised when suddenly Jessica fell to the ground on her knee. She immediately squatted down and looked at the girl.

 

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter