the sidekick

The Seventeen Compound

Title: The Sidekick
Pairing: Kim Mingyu x Lee Daeyoung (Darcy)
Supporting Characters: Choi Seungcheol, Park Songhee (Sierra), Jeon Wonwoo
Genre: Romance, Fluff
Length: Oneshot
Word Count: 2221
Warning(s): -
Author's Note: -
Description: Kim Mingyu, the youngest member of the famous F3 has a best friend named Lee Daeyoung or known as Darcy. They're together ever since they were born to this world, pretty much inseparable. He's the hero and she's the sidekick. Of course, the hero always gets the spotlight and the sidekick is only known as... well... the sidekick. The hero is an attractive guy, although very clingy and annoying, how can you not fall for this guy? The sidekick is different from other girls, she's fiesty, chill and definitely the only person who's brave enough to go against the hero. And it's not impossible for the hero and the sidekick to fall in love for each other. Let's just see how their story will turn out.


 

Let me tell you about Darcy. She's a first grade student at Jaehwa High School and her best friend happens to be one of the school's heartthrob. Fangirl stares? She's used to that. Envious glares from his fangirls? Seen it everyday. Darcy isn't that easygoing type of person, in fact, it's a bit hard to get through her walls. But she has a few friends thanks to Mingyu.

"Good morning, my friend!" Mingyu slung an arm around Darcy's neck, grinning like an idiot as always.

"Get off me, idiot." Calling Mingyu as the 'idiot', that's her way to show love to him.

"I'm your best friend." Ge pouted, still clinging to her even if he's way taller than her.

"Fine, get of me, my best friend." Darcy huffed as she rolled her eyes, entering the classroom and leaving Mingyu behind.

"Hey-- wait for me!" Mingyu shouted, leaving some of the students who were walking in the hallway, turned their heads to the tall boy who was trying to catch up with his friend. And that's Darcy's usual routine, walking away from the clingy Mingyu.

 


 

"My boys!" Mingyu slipped in between Wonwoo and Seungcheol, who were sitting on the couch in their usual lounge, playing a racing game on their 40 inch widescreen LED TV.

"Aww . I lose to Seungcheol because of you, Mingyu." Wonwoo cursed as he threw his arms to the air, throwing his joystick away.

Seungcheol was grinning widely when he won over Wonwoo. "Soccer practice in a few minutes, catch y'all later!" He saluted and walked out of the room.

"Hey, Wonwoo! Can I ask you something?" Mingyu looked around, making sure that no one was there except for them.

"Yeah, what?"

"How do you confess to a girl?' Mingyu blinked his eyes rapidly, and there was 'confusion' written all over his face.

"What?! Are you going to confess to a girl?" Wonwoo almost spilled his coffee when Mingyu said that, he had just almost ruined his brand new uniform.

The taller boy didn't say anything but he gave the other boy a simple nod.

"And who's that lucky girl?"

"Darcy." Mingyu mouthed when he heard that someone was twisting the doorknob, and it was her.

"Hey boys, where are the others?" Darcy asked. Plopping herself to the beanbag.

"That was close." Mingyu sighed.

"Seungcheol has soccer practice, Sierra and Cheonsa are probably having their girl talk at the cafetaria." Wonwoo replied.

"Can I and Wonwoo have our own boy talk then? Please?" Mingyu smiled at Darcy.

"Boy talk? That's rare." Darcy thought to herself, shrugged and then walked out of the room. "Sure."

Mingyu walked towards the door and locked it, so no one can enter the room for the mean time.

"I didn't expect you to like Darcy. I mean that time you said that you like feminine, cute and sweet girls--"

"That's not the point! Now tell me how!" Mingyu is such a dummy when it comes about love. Oh wait, he's a dummy in general.

"Flowers, chocolates, presents or anything that can woo her. But as far as I know, Darcy isn't the type whose easily flattered, right?" Wonwoo asked Mingyu, who replied with a sigh. "Don't worry, I'll ask Seungcheol to help you too." Wonwoo continued to talk as he patted Mingyu on the shoulder.

"I wonder if she likes me too or not...." Mingyu mumbled as he rested his chin on the palm of his hands.

 


 

The bell finally rang as students filled the hallway, walking out of their classroom and excited that school is finally over.

"Darcy!" Sierra slung an arm over her friend's shoulder, grinning widely as if she just won the lottery.

"What? Why are you grinning widely like that? And where's Cheonsa?" 

"Nothing. Cheonsa? She already left with Wonwoo as always." Sierra smiled. "Actually no, I'm just happy that Mingyu likes you too." Yeah, Sierra has been informed by Seungcheol about Mingyu's plan to confess and she was very thrilled to hear that.

"Your tone of speaking is definitely happier than you usually spoke." Darcy chuckled.

Laughing at her friend's acts (oh how Darcy knew Sierra too well), Sierra pulled her to her convertible. "You're going with me now!"

"What? Where are we going?" Looking puzzled, Darcy had no other option than to sit on the passenger's seat.

"You'll know it later." Sierra said before stepping on the accelerator and started driving to only-God-knows-where.

Soon enough, they arrived at what seems to be a bakery. "What are we doing here?" Darcy asked as she was pulled by Sierra into the bakery.

"Just pick what you want to eat, my treat." Sierra smiled, she ordered a slice tiramisu and an eclair.

"Hmm.... A slice of blueberry cheesecake please." Darcy ordered before she went to find a seat. Little did she know, Sierra was texting someone at the moment she left.

"Blueberry cheesecake, note that."

 


 

For the next few days, it was the same routine all over again. With Sierra bringing her to a boutique, asking her which dress does she likes, or the other day at the department store when Sierra asked her which pair of shoes does she likes. It was... weird and definitely fishy.

"Sierra, what's with you bringing me to a shop and asking me what kind of things do I like?" Darcy asked, absolutely clueless on what was going on. That made Sierra stopped her tracks as she shrugged.

"You'll know about it later."

 


 

Friday, the day before the big day. Inside the dance room, Mingyu couldn't think straight as he was busy texting, and calling someone. The big day? Yes, he was planning to confess to her tomorrow at 8PM sharp. 

"What? That dress was sold to someone else? How could that happened?" Mingyu hissed to the other line. He was calling Wonwoo, who was in charge of the dress and all that shenanigans.

"I don't know! Should I buy another dress or what?" 

"Fine, ask your girl to help you since I don't trust your fashion instinct." Mingyu said before ending the call. Just in case you were wondering, yes, Wonwoo skipped school just to help his best friend. Now that's what friends are for.

JR, being the eagle-eyed dance club president, noticed how anxious Mingyu looked like. He began to walk towards the taller boy as he smiled.

"Hey Mingyu, you looked troubled today, anything's up?" He asked, patting the taller boy's shoulder as he shook his head.

"Nothing." Mingyu grinned, hoping that it would convince JR but sadly, it doesn't.

"You look like you're lying." JR whistled as he crossed his arms. Mingyu couldn't do anything but to let out a sigh.

"Fine, I'm going to confess to a girl tomorrow and you know.... I'm nervous."

"Ah.... I see, good luck then!" JR smiled as he walked away and began to lead the dance.

 


 

The next day, Darcy's eyes widen in shock the moment she woke up as she found a big blue box with white ribbons sitting nicely on her desk. A pink post-it was plastered on top of it as she read it out loud. "Darcy sweetie, someone sent this to you but there's no address from the sender. Love, mom." Darcy sighed, wondering what it could be as it is an anonymous mail after all. She unwrapped the ribbons as she opened the lid, revealing a floral patterned dress, black cardigan and a pair of shoes that she knew. "It's the pair of shoes that I liked, did Sierra sent this package?" She silently thought until her phone buzzed as picked it up and opened a new message.

From: Sierra

Meet me at the park, alright? The sooner the better.

The park wasn't the type of place that Sierra would visit. But Darcy had no choice but to follow her orders, she was also curious, why did Sierra sent her the package?

After a few minutes of showering, she stepped out of the bathroom, fully dressed. Her foot led her to the mirror on her wardrobe, she twirled around and looked at her own reflection, noticing how low cut the back of the dress were. To make it worst, the cardigan's material was sheer so it was pretty much see-through.

In a hurried manner, she grabbed her brown sling bag and made her way to the park. Once she arrived, her eyes were wandering around, searching for Sierra. Suddenly, someone slung an arm over her shoulder that made her flinched in shock. "It's just me, Sierra." The person, who turns out to be none other than Sierra, smiled at her. "That's a nice dress." Sierra complimented her, in which Darcy replied with a shy nod. With a meaningful smile, Sierra handed her some sort of.... scroll and walked away.

"Sierra-- wait!" Darcy tried to shout but it seems like Sierra had gone far enough to not hear her voice. She opened the scroll, expecting for a letter but she was wrong. It was some kind of a treasure map. "Treasure map? Wait.... this looks familiar." Her brain was trying to process when did she saw that map but in the end, she decided to follow that treasure map, it's better to try than to wonder.

After an hour of walking around the park, doing 50 steps forward, 10 steps to the right and did every command written on the map, her foot landed on an 'X' sign near the blooming cherry blossom tree. "Now what?" Darcy couldn't help but to wonder, was Sierra just playing tricks at her? There was a sign that said 'Turn Around' hanging on one of the tree branches, she did as what stated and her eyes seemed like it almost jumped out from it's sockets when she turned around to face Mingyu. He looked dazzling in a white dress shirt, dark blue jeans and white sneakers. 

"Hi." His hands that were hiding behind him all these times, came out from it's hiding place as he held out a bouquet of yellow daisies. "Since you dislike roses, I guess daisies are okay?" A genuine smile came from his lips as the girl nodded and accepted the bouquet.

"Uh... Thanks! What's with the occasion, though? With all the flowers, treasure maps and stuff?" Darcy questioned as they started walking and Mingyu hesitantly held her hand.

"Don't you remember anything about the treasure map?" He asked her back without answering her question, before she managed to say a thing, he had already pulled her towards the playground area. It was unusually quiet, but she liked it. He told her to sit at one of the swings, even if she was quite unsure of his acts, she still did as what he told her. "Now close your eyes."  Darcy eyed him for the last time, eyebrows raising in confusement and she closed her eyes.

"Daeyoung! Daeyoung! Oh look! We found the treasure!" Mingyu spoke in a more high pitched voice that should've resemble a little boy, he knelt down before her eyes and she laughed at his unusual tone.

"What treasure?" She giggled after toning down her laugh, still with her eyes closed.

"Do you remember my promise? When we were eight years old? Right at this same playground when we were playing as pirates?"

She tried connecting the dots, and after some time of thinking she finally remembered. "That time when you said I was the treasure? And your promise.... was to always protect me?" Opening her eyes slowly, she was startled to see Mingyu kneeling down in front of her just to match their eye level and she almost fell backwards because of that, thankfully he managed to get a grip of her wrist to prevent her from falling.

"I'm glad that you remember." Mingyu couldn't stop grinning at this tingly feeling inside him, his heart was beating faster but he liked it since he knew what made it beats faster.

"Wait.... are you the one who sent this dress and everything?"

"I did. And I definitely have a valid explanation for that." He smiled once again, leaned in until their noses were touching. "I will keep my promise, so you would be mine? Don't look at other guys and for once, just look at me." Sincerity, it came out from his shining eyes as if he had been waiting long enough to finally say this.

"I'm all yours." She absolutely has no other choice than to accept his confession, their feelings were mutual and she knew that.

"Can I....?" His eyes trailed down to her soft, pink tinted lips, it smelled like passionfruit thanks to her passionfruit flavored lipbalm. Seeing how the usual skinship king became hesitant like this was a rare sight.

"Yes." Darcy slighly nodded, which made their lips brushed against each other for a second before Mingyu tenderly kissed her lips. She felt butterflies on her stomach, and so did he. Pulling away with a reddened face, she threw her arms over his neck and hugged him tightly to hide her face who resembles a tomato. "Thank you."

Chuckling lightly at her acts, he encircled his arms on her waist as his ears were also reddish from embarassment. "It's the hero's job to protect his sidekick, right? And the sidekick should always stay on the hero's side. I love you."