kiss the rain (alternate ending)

The Seventeen Compound

Jangmi was on her way home after a busy day at the university. Casually walking through the busy streets until she felt water droplets on her noise. "Rain? Oh gosh... no." She immediately ran to the nearest bus shelter. Woo Jangmi hated rain so much. The cold raindrops, the gloominess when the sky turned dark, she hated everything about rain.

Why? She never liked the rainy weather in the first place until there was this guy who made her loved rain. Too bad now he's not there anymore, that's why she hated rain all over again. "I wish the rain would stop soon." She sighed as past memories flooded back to her mind.

 

"Jangmi! Come here!" Jisoo laughed as he waved to Jangmi who was still inside her house.

"But it's raining!" She shouted back. Yeah it was raining hard but somehow, the sky was still bright and you could see the sun shining through the rain.

"Exactly. It's fun, come here." 

In the end, Jangmi gave up so she picked up an umbrella, opened it and finally stepped outside. "I'm here now." She pouted. "I still don't get it why do you like to get yourself drenched in the rain? And playing in the rain could make you sick."

"Let me show you why I love the rain. But first, you need to put back that umbrella."

"But that means I would get drenched in the rain." She wanted to make him happy but she just couldn't let herself get drenched in the rain. Heck, she hates it when she has to walk in the rain with an umbrella since she prefers to stay inside a shelter and wait for the rain to stop.

She stared at the sky for a second, the sun was still shining. "Hmm... the weather's not bad." And she glanced at Jisoo, who was smiling widely at her.

"Fine." she said while walking back to her house, put back the umbrella from where it came from. "Now what?" She shouted from the door.

"Just run and I'll catch you." Jisoo smiled as he spread his arms, signalling her to run to his embrace. "1...2...3!"

At the count of three, Jangmi ran as fast as she could while squealing in proccess. When her body accidentally hit Jisoo's body, she screamed even more.

"Why are you screaming? See? It's fun to be in the rain isn't it?" He smiled.

"Well.... it's not as bad as I thought it would be but I still prefer to stay inside." She looked down. A little pout can be seen on her lips.

"I told you so." He let out a chuckle before finally leaning in and claimed those cherry lips of hers.

 

Jangmi shook her head as she massaged her temple. "Stop it, Jangmi. He's not here anymore, get over it."

Soon enough, the rain has stopped. The dark clouds was replaced by those white fluffy clouds, the bright sunshine and a rainbow can be seen through the sky. It was finally time for her to go home.

"I like the sunny weather better, it's more...... colorful." She mumbled while walking back home.

 


 

On the next few days, it was raining, raining and raining again. Jangmi didn't like this weather at all. "Might as well skip class again today." She sighed as she jumped onto her bed. "Ah... my comfortable bed... I miss you so much." She thought as she hugged a pillow, tossed and rolled her body around the bed. Finally feeling bored, she decided to open her phone. As she scrolled down her photo gallery, one particular picture showed up. It was a picture of her and him, smiling happily to the camera as they laid down on the green grass.

"Oh, I guess I haven't deleted this one." She mumbled, pressed the 'delete' button, and took a deep breath before closing her eyes.

 

"Where are we going?" Jangmi asked curiously as Jisoo skipped happily beside her. Still smiling brightly, he managed to say a simple "Just wait and see." Before walking even further.

"I'm tired." She stopped walking and sat on the ground. 

"Oh come on." He laughed. "Do you want me to carry you that bad?"

Pretending to not hear anything, Jangmi looked into another direction while humming into a random tune. Truthfully, she does want to get carried by him. A piggyback is one of her favorite things in the world. But instead of a piggyback, he carried her bridal style instead.

"Wait-- Jisoo! Put me down!" She squealed while hiding her face with her hands. This is not what she was hoping, her ears turned red out of embarrassment.

After a few struggle here and there (because of Jangmi's kicking and yelling) they've finally arrived at their destination. A green gate that was decorated with many different kinds of flowers were standing in front of them.

"Where are we?"

"My mother's garden. She loves to grow flowers. But I prefer to call this as our hidden paradise." He said before finally putting her down. Her feet finally touched the hard pathway. She felt like it was a surreal sight. The flowers are beautiful in her opinion.

"Paradise?" 

"Yeah, paradise. Let's go in!" He beamed happily.

After a few minutes of walking, Jangmi finally knew the reason why Jisoo said that it was a hidden paradise. One, it was far from the city so the air were fresh. Two, the flowers, tree and grass were beautiful. Lastly, the weather was nice and she could feel the heat of the sun and also the wind that occasionally blows.

They sat on the green grass as Jangmi took out her phone. "We need to take a picture here! It's a must!" she spoke in an excited manner.

Amused at her cute acts, he could only chuckle. He circled his arms around her neck, and he made a 'V' pose with his hands. Jangmi smiled happily as she counted. "1.. 2.. 3.. Say cheese!"

 

"Why do I keep thinking about him." Jangmi sighed as she stared out to the dark sky, the rain hasn't stopped since last night. "I wish the rain will stop soon. I want to take a jog outside." She mumbled while switching channels, trying to find a good show to watch.

 


 

On the same day at the Incheon airport, a guy was walking through the busy crowd while carrying his suitcase. He checked his phone for a second, before finally walking to the main entrance. "Jisoo! Over here!" A tall guy whose lips are as red as a strawberry shouted while waving his hands in excitement.

"Doyoon!" The guy who was called as 'Jisoo' approached the taller guy. "Where's Seungcheol?"

"Seriously? After two years, I picked you up at the airport now but you're asking where is Seungcheol?" Doyoon pretended to be mad as he crosses his arms, and gave a disapproval look to Jisoo.

"Seriously, I was wondering where he is now because you said that you'll be picking me up with him?" He laughed before finally giving Doyoon a hug.

"Seungcheol had caught a flu, because of the rainy weather these days." Doyoon laughed. "Hey, are you going to my house later? I bet Seungcheol will nag at me if you don't come."

"I will. But firstly, I have to go home or else my parents will nag at me too." 

 


 

The sun shined brightly through the window, woken up the sleeping figure. "Oh.. It's Saturday." Jangmi yawned as she turned her body to another direction, so her back was facing the window.

She checked her phone, looked at the date and she couldn't help but sighed. "It's the 17th of March. Ah." It was supposed to be their fifth year anniversary, if only he didn't left her two years ago.

Jangmi managed to got up, took a shower to clear up her mind but in the end she decided to go to that place. Again. In the last two years, she always went to their 'hidden paradise' when the 17th of March comes. What did she do there? Nothing at all. Just by feeling the cold breeze, smelling the fresh scent of flower, all of those could soothe her mind. Although that place always made her remember of him, she had no other choice. She still loved him afterall.

When Jangmi was on her way to the garden, Jisoo had already arrived there. It was Doyoon's idea at first, he knew that his best friend is still in love with that girl. Maybe fate will somehow bring them together again.

"Ah.. This place is still the same after two years." Jisoo smiled as he walked on the stone path, jumping over some puddles that was left after yesterday's rain. "Roses...." He smiled at the thought of her, just by seeing those roses blooming reminded him of her.

The sound of footsteps stopped him from daydreaming any further as he turned around to see who was coming. "Jangmi." and there she was, walking while holding her phone, probably texting or something. 

On the other hand, Jangmi didn't realize about his presence until she looked up from her phone. His figure looking at her from afar. "No.. I must be dreaming right now." She thought before turning her back, preparing to leave that place immediately. Before she managed ran away, Jisoo had already held her wrist and pulled her into a tight hug.

"Stay." He whispered. Oh how he missed hugging her like this, her figure fits perfectly to his like a complete puzzle piece, and her fresh citrus scented hair. But most of all, he simply missed her.

"Let me go..." She spoke while holding back her tears that was ready to fall down in any second.

As if the sky was also crying, it suddenly rained. The beautiful sky turned dark, and raindrops could be felt on her bare skin. She couldn't take it anymore as tears fell down through her cheeks at the same time the rain fell.

"Don't cry..... I know I was wrong..." Jisoo smiled weakly as he wiped those tears that was mixed it the rain. "Don't you remember what I said before I left? That I'll be back?"

"I do... I do remember it but how could you thought that I will wait for you forever?! Those two years was hell for me." There it is, she broke down as she cried harder.

Jisoo felt stupid for a second. He thinked without thinking of the worst posibility when he left. Of course. Of course she would felt tired of waiting for him at some point. Of course she would give up, she's a human with feelings afterall. Seeing her like this made him felt like the worst guy on earth.

Her legs finally gave up as she fell onto the ground, sitting on the wet grass while still crying as she spoke again. "Avoiding the damn rain, it was hard because I used to hate it so much but then you made me realize about the beauty of it. After you were gone, I hated it again since it always made me remember of you."

"Jangmi....." This was the last thing he would want her to do, crying because of him. He finally pulled her so she could stand back up again.

"What do you want from me? How could you left me all alone here and came back like nothing ever happened?" 

Jisoo was speechless. She's right, it was wrong to leave her like that. It was all his fault. Because of him, she suffered in the past two years. "I'm sorry..." He said since that's all that he could think of. But no matter how much he apologize, he knew that it wasn't enough.

"Why is my head hurting like this." She mumbled before her vision went blur. And everything fades to black.

 


 

Black. Jangmi opened her eyes and she was in a bedroom with black walls. It's not her room because her room has a white wall. "Where am I?" She mumbled as she looked around. "This room is familiar...."

She turned her body to the right, only to see a sleeping figure of him. "Oh right! It's Jisoo's room." The door suddenly opened. Revealing a worried Seungmi who carried a tray of porridge.

"Jangmi! You're awake!" Seungmi said as she put the tray to the table near the bed.

"Seungmi? What are you doing here?" 

"Jisoo told me to come to bring over some of my clothes and change your clothes? And Doyoon is here too, he's outside." She grinned.

Oh yeah, Jangmi didn't even realize that now she's wearing Seungmi's comfortable sleepwear and not wearing her clothes that got drenched in the rain.

"Uh... How long did I passed out?"

"Two hours. Jisoo was really worried about you, now you better go wake him up. And don't forget to eat the porridge!" Seungmi smiled at her before finally went out of the room. A little sound of someone who locked the door can be heard. "Are you sure this is going to get them back together?" Seungmi asked Doyoon, who was smiling behind her.

"I'm sure they will." He laughed.

Jangmi hesitated at first. She was definitely not ready to talk to him again, especially after she just cried to him earlier and fainted. Seeing his sleeping figure, it was a priceless moment. He doesn't snore or anything, he sleeps neatly and peacefully. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to carress his cheeks for a bit, he's still asleep, right? But before she managed to touch his cheeks, his eyes were wide open.

"Jisoo! When did you wake up?" Flustered, her cheeks turned pink in embarrassment.

"Thank God now you're awake. Me? When Seungmi came in, I was already awake." He smiled. 

That feeling when you really miss someone but now that they're in front of you, you don't know what should you do. It's exactly the feeling that she felt at that time. She could only say a simple 'Yes' before looking into another direction to avoid his eyes.

"Woo Jangmi, look at me." Jisoo's eyes twinkled in excitement, it seems like he has something important to say.

Giving up and knowing it would be a waste of energy trying to win over him, Jangmi finally met his eyes. "Wha--" She couldn't finish her sentence as she felt his lips pressed against hers.

"I love you. I really do." He said after he pulled away from the kiss and stood up. Picked up the tray of food before sitting on the edge of the bed where Jangmi was laying. "Now you should eat this."

After the kiss, Jangmi could only nod while hiding her red cheeks. "Uh.. About earlier.. At the garden.. I'm sorry." She mumbled. "I must've made you worried when I passed out."

Jisoo gave her a small smile before feeding her with the porridge. "I understand, it's alright." He put the bowl of soup to the bedside table as he pulled her to another room. "I want to show you something.

They stepped inside the little room next to Jisoo's bedroom. It was his so-called-recording-studio. He used to record some songs with her or with his friends out of boredom. He clicked 'play' and music can be heard throughout the room. "Do you remember this song?" he asked while smiling at her. This guy is never tired when it comes to smiling, especially to her.

A sweet tune can be heard throughout the room. It was where Jisoo and Jangmi sang Tamia's Officially Missing You, and with Jangmi's failed English, it made the song sounded cute. "I do..." She replied. "Uh... Jisoo... I think that everything feels surreal now, it's just...." Weird? Awkward? Jangmi couldn't find the right word. She smiled weakly as she let out a sigh.

"Let's make a promise then." Jisoo suggested as his eyes was locked into Jangmi's. "For a year, let's not meet each other and contact each other. I know that you're still shocked that I came back, it's my fault and I'm sorry. At the exact same date as today, let's meet near the Han river. If one of us didn't came then let's leave the past as it is."

Jangmi frowned a little, the idea of him going away hurts her. But then again, it still feels awkward somehow now that he's back as if nothing happened. "Alright, let's meet next year it is." She smiled.

 


 

It was a bright and sunny day. Jangmi was thankful that it didn't rained like last year. During the past year, she started to open up to others. Gaining more friends and even sometimes went on a blind date though it didn't work out in the end. She grabbed her new best friend's wrist, his name is Hwang Minhyun. He was also an alumni of Jaehwa, her high school. "Remind me again why am I following you to the Han river? Look at all these cheesy couples walking by." Minhyun groaned, he was happily single since 1995, he always disliked the thought of having a girlfriend (which seemed like a waste of time for him).

"Because I want to introduce you to someone." Jangmi smiled. Although she wasn't sure that he would come, at least she'll have a shoulder to cry on if he didn't came. Minhyun rolled his eyes in reply, regreting that he accepted her offer. Well.... she said that she'll treat him food for a month and he couldn't say no. Out of a sudden, a little girl tugged the end of Jangmi's peach dress.

"Yes, sweetie?" She said while patting the little girl's head.

"You should go there." The little girl pointed to an area where a crowd of people seemed to gather.

"Why? Who send--" And before she managed to complete her sentence, the little girl already ran away.

As he circled his arms around Jangmi's, Minhyun pulled her to where the people gathered. "Come on, I'm sure there's a valid reason why these people are here." Both of them squished through the crowd as Jangmi's eyes doubled in size as she saw the scenery right before her eyes. A giant smile was plastered on her face as he called out his name.

"Hong Jisoo." There he was, playing his guitar as he sat on a stool that he brought. Singing to Bruno Mars' Marry You. Jisoo averted his gaze to her, and he also smiled brightly.

"Hey, is that the person you were going to introduce to me?" Minhyun elbowed Jangmi, who only nodded in response.

After he finished singing, Jisoo slowly approached her, knelt down on one knee and smiled. "Woo Jangmi, even if I've stupidly left you before, leaving you just like that, my feelings for you stayed the same. In the past year, my feelings for you still wouldn't change. I love you, so would you marry me?" He took out a simple but elegant ring that has little diamonds on top of it from his pocket.

Jangmi was touched, she was on the verge of crying hard if only she didn't held back her tears. She bit her lips as her smile grew wider. "Yes." That was the only word she could say. 

He slipped the ring onto her left hand's ring finger. He stood up, and pulled her for a tight hug. "I love you."

"I love you too." She said before he released the hug and kissed her softly on the lips. The crowd cheered for the new couple as Minhyun silently thought to himself. "Damn, my best friend getting married this early. I think I need to find a girlfriend."