The Grandparents

Truly Valuable

"Wake up Min, we have an appointment today. Didn't I tell you yesterday?" Yura said as she opened the curtains and let the sun light up the room.
"Five more minutes, Umma..." groaned a tired Min.
"We're eating breakfast with your Halmeoni and Harabeoji." Yura calmly said and exited Min's room.

Min shot up at the name of her grandparents and quickly brushed her teeth and washed her face. She put on a nice but casual dress along with a pair of wedges. Finished in ten minutes, Min met with Yura, who had been patiently waiting on the couch in the living room. Min and Yura exited the big house together and went in a black car, where the driver started to drive to their destination. 

"We're meeting them at 8:30." Min heard her Umma say.
Min looked at her phone. "But its only 7:55."
"It's always better to be early. Plus you never know, with the traffic and all."

There was indeed traffic at this hour because it's when workers went to work and students went to school. But it was still summer, so traffic isn't as bad as it could be. It would still take a good twenty minutes for them to arrive there though.

Min thought about it and said "I could've still had five more minutes."
Yura chuckled. "Next time, just sleep earlier."
"I know, I know. It's a bad habit." Min looked at her mom. "But I'll fix it."

Yura smiled at her daughter's reassurance. The rest of the car ride remained in a peaceful silence, where Yura had took the time to look outside the window and enjoy the nice morning, where as Min just closed her eyes. When the car stopped, Min opened her eyes and followed her mom as the two thanked the chauffeur and entered the restaurant.

Yura greeted the waitress, who immediately welcomed them and guided them to their table. The menus were already set on the table with their utensils. 

"You're right, Umma. It's 8:20 now. But we still have ten minutes." Min pouted.
"Knowing your grandparents, they'll be coming soon… like about now." Yura said as she turned her attention to the front door. 

Suddenly an old-looking couple walked in. They were dressed luxuriously and had worn serious business-like faces. They were guided to Min's table, and as they got closer, Yura and Min stood up. 

Yura greeted them with a polite bow while Min started to jump up and down excitedly, making her way towards her grandparents.
"Anyonghaseyo Halmeoni, Halbeoji!!!" Min greeted as she gave both of them a hug.

The serious-looking couple no longer looked so serious as they greeted Yura and returned Min's hug.
"Minnie!!! How are you?" 
"Has my little Min been well?"
"Ne, Halmeoni Halbeoji. Please sit down." They all sat down and decided to order first before they start talking. Once they had placed their order, it was Yura who started the conversation first.

"How was your stay at Macau?"
“Very..." Halmeoni looked at Harabeoji, who gave her a slight chuckle "addictive." 

Min laughed a little at the response. Yura had on a confused expression, but Min knew very well what they were talking about. Min soon whispered something to her Umma and Yura widened her eyes, looking at both Halmeoni and Harabeoji. 

"Wait. Seriously?" Yura asked. Min nodded back.
Halmeoni then told her about the reason why they went to Macau. 


Min and her grandparents are very close, like the "Three Musketeers" close. The three of them bond over their love of food. Instead of the "Three Musketeers" title, they like to call themselves as the "Three Munchers" or the "Three Little Pigs". So when Min told them to go to Macau to eat the so called legendary "Hokkaido Milk Ice Cream", they needed to taste it. 

As their food came, the three "pigs" started to dig out, leaving Yura dumbfounded. Yura wasn't always a big eater, but that didn't mean she didn't like to eat. Yura would only eat what she liked eating, and would never  eat something she didn't like, to fill her stomach that can only hold so much. The four of them always go by their motto, "if you're gonna get fat anyways, might as well spend it on something you like."

“So let me get this straight, you guys went to a gambling city for ice cream?" Yura asked.
“Indeed we did, and it was very DELICIOUS." Harabeoji said.
"I know right!? It's just so-" Min started.
"Rich, creamy, and sweet!!!" the three food monsters said at the same time while adding some dramatic movements at each word.
"Take me with you next time!" Umma said cutely with an "I want ice cream" face.

The four of them laughed the rest of the meal and everyone around them thought they were crazy. As the four ended their breakfast, they chatted about more food as all four of them were driven to the grandparents' mansion. 

They sat in the dining room and started to eat some sliced-up fruits while Halmeoni and Halbeoji told them about a very important event coming up. Apparently it was decided just a few days ago.



*A few days ago*

On their last day in Macau, Halmeoni and Halbeoji had just finished dining in a fancy duck restaurant and was heading towards the mall for some "Hokkaido Milk” ice cream. After they got their soft serves, they sat down and started to eat their ice creams away, effortlessly.

“Honey
, I've been thinking..." Halmeoni started as she ate the last of her cone.
"About?" Harabeoji asked as he got up and threw some used napkins away.
"Our Minnie." 
"What about Little Min?"
"Well, I mean she's an only child and she's got a great personality. But I never see her with anyone else besides Yura and us. Even our Tae says he's too busy for his family."
"Aishh, busy my . But Minnie has friends in school.”
"Sweetheart, we all know that they're all fake. They're just in for our name. Even Min knows, but she's too good-hearted to deny it. I don't even care if they're girls or not, I need Minnie to have REAL friends. We need to do something."
"Okay, I have a plan."
Halmeoni gave Halbeoji a questioning look and he took it as a sign to go on.
"I've been thinking about it as well, so I thought of a… FAMILY HANGOUT!"
"Babo, we're both single children! Minnie doesn't have any cousins," Halmeoni sighed, "and here I thought you had something good."
"You're right.” Halbeoji said as he realized his mistake. "Oh! But we got many friends!!!"
Halmeoni thought about it "Hmm, yes, yes. And they got their grandchildren too! You're right! Not only do we get closer to our business buddies, Min gets to have her own personal buddies as well!!! It's a win-win!!!"
"Yes! Great idea! But we can't tell our Minnie that this was all because we thought she was lonely. We'll have to think of something."

On the flight back home, they discussed about it and came up with the perfect plan.



*Present day*

“So a few days ago, your Halmeoni and I had an epiphany together. We're going to establish an event to stay close with our business partners, to become and remain great friends -not that we're not- and get even closer! We call it the-" Harabeoji said in his excited-about-delicious-food tone as he jumped up from his seat with a fist up in the air, “GET-TOGETHER!"

Halmeoni, who sat right next to him, laid her hand on Halbeoji's shoulder and slowly sat him back down. "Calm down, honey. I can take it from here. Okay, so it’ll start after the youngest of our grandchildren turns 18, and from what I’ve researched about our friends' grandchildren, our Minnie is the youngest. So-"

"Wait wait wait wait wait, honey. You totally skipped the important part." Halbeoji cut in.
"Oh yeah. We can’t tell you any more because it was meant to be a surprise. But this was just to let you know that something will happen so you won’t freak out." Halmeoni said.

Yura sighed at this foolish game and Min only blinked in response, giving off a very confused face.
 
Little did they know, that this was not only going to affect Min’s life but five others as well.
 
 
 
 
Author's note: BEAST will be introduced later! Please be patient!