Are you okay?

Truly Valuable

Doojoon and Junhyung spent the next few days staying over with Min, worried about their little friend. The others didn't know about it, but it was for the better. Having everyone around was probably not a very good idea. It wasn't until her grandparents came back for her mother's funeral, did they stop staying over. 

 

 

The funeral eventually came, it being the first time the other guys had seen Min since the incident. She was standing next to her grandparents from her mother’s side, and her father. Halmeoni and Halbeoji Kim and the rest of the her mother’s family stood behind them. The coffin had just been buried and everyone who attended were giving their respects to Min’s deceased mother. Though grateful people came and paid their respects, Min hated it. She didn’t want to be there. She didn’t need to hear all the “She was a wonderful person” or the “I’m sorry for your loss” nor the “She’s in a better place now.” No, she didn’t need to hear it. Those words didn’t make it any better. Everything just reminded her that her mom is dead. 

 

Min looked around her. Halmeoni and Halbeoji Kim were comforting Halmeoni and Halbeoji Lee, despite them sobbing too. Appa was talking to one of his business friends. What surprised her was that he even shed a few tears in front of them. Well, knowing him, she’s not that surprised. She stood still, blankly staring at her mother’s grave, and would bow and thank the people who offered their condolences to her. 

 

As the crowd started to disperse a little, there was more room to reach near the center. The guys walked on, unintentionally hearing some comments people were saying around them. “Aigoo, it must be hard for that little girl. That child loved her mother so much.” Some old woman said. 

 

“If it wasn’t for Mrs. Kim, we wouldn’t be here today. May she rest in peace.” Some guy sighed as he walked away with his wife.

 

“What a shame. She was such a kind hearted woman.”

 

There were a lot of people who came and endless comments about Mrs. Kim. The boys continued to move through the clustered small groups, but Yoseob, who was in the front, abruptly stopped after he overheard some ahjummas talking to each other.

 

“What kind of daughter doesn’t even cry for her mom?” 

“I don’t know but her whole family is crying but her.” 

“How shameful to not even show any sorrow.” 

 

Yoseob clenched his fist and was about to go up to them and prove them wrong, but Junhyung grabbed him in advance, “It’s not the right time and place to cause a commotion. Come on.” 

 

“But-” 

 

Dongwoon cut in this time, “Hyung, it’s not worth it.” 

 

“They’re leaving anyways.” Hyunseung said as he watched the ahjummas walk towards the direction they just came from. 

 

“Clearly, they don’t know Min.” Kikwang commented.

 

“Let’s go.” Doojoon said and Junhyung let Yoseob go. By the time they paid their respects to the late Mrs. Kim, most of the other people who attended had already left due to the cold weather. Close friends and family were still there, including Min. The boys spotted their friend and headed toward her way, only to stop when they saw her in a deep conversation with someone the three of them recognized. 

 

“It’s that freaking stalker.” Junhyung murmured. Everyone aside from Doojoon, Junhyung, and Dongwoon, had no idea who he was or what had happened last time. So when the other three clueless boys heard what Junhyung had referred him to, they all stared at the blonde talking to Min, thinking he was stalking her. They all just watched until Min suddenly looked uncomfortable and turned around to leave, but that blonde grabbed her hand to say something. It was then when Kikwang exploded and went up to them, with the others following close behind.

 

 

He grabbed the stalker by his wrist, “Let go of her.” 

 

 

Min looked over to the very person who Baekho was just talking about, dumbstruck. Why did it have to be him? “Let go.” she finally said.

 

 

“You heard her.” Kikwang told the blonde who didn’t budge.

 

 

Min sighed, “Let go, Kikwang.” 

 

 

Baekho stared at her surprised friend, who slowly turned to look at her. She didn’t look him in the eyes, instead hers were focused on his hands. Confused and hurt, the raven haired man loosened his grip on the younger man’s wrist and as soon as he let go, Min managed to escape Baekho’s hold and left with quick steps. As if on cue, light rain came within seconds and before Kikwang even thought about chasing after her, Doojoon placed a hand on him, making sure he didn’t even get the chance to run. The blonde seemed to have disappeared right after Min left, blending in with the family and relatives who were retreating due to the rain. Without much question, the boys did as well.

 

 


 

 

“MWO!?” Halmeoni and Halbeoji cried out. 

 

“How dare he! After all these years!!! Aishhh. I didn’t raise this kind of son!” 

 

Halbeoji patted his wife’s back, trying to calm her down a bit, “Yeobo.” He eyed his wife to their granddaughter sitting on the couch. Halmeoni huffed and began to calm down. 

 

Halbeoji took the photographs on the coffee table, taking a good look at Sujung and Eunji. “Do you know if Yura knew about this?” he asked the blonde who sat next to Min.

 

Baekho hesitantly began, “Actually… yes. I’ve done some digging and apparently, Mrs. Kim found out around the time Min went to Bora Bora. Mr. Kim brought them to their house and stayed there until Min came back.” 

 

“Jinjja!?” Halmeoni shrieked. “That’s it! We’re doing something about this!” 

 

“What are we going to do?” Her husband asked.

 

Halmeoni thought for a bit, “Aha! Let’s strip him of his company title! Since he never split with that despicable woman in the first place, he doesn't have the right to be CEO!” 

 

Halbeoji seemed to like the idea, but Baekho was quick to step in, “I’m sorry m’am, but he had already taken over the company 18 years ago. It can be problematic for you two to fight for it. But even if you do fight for it, the other business associates need to agree on it. Not to mention, you two have been out the scene for a while already, things might’ve have changed.” 

 

The young man paused slightly, unsure whether to share his thoughts or not, but he decided to, “I might be wrong but I have a very strong feeling Mr. Kim will be handing down the company to his other daughter Eunji. So I am not against your idea, m’am.” 

 

Halbeoji exhaled, “Do you have any ideas, Baekho?” 

 

“You two might not be able to get the company again, but… maybe somebody else can.” the blonde said, suggestively.

 

The grandparents exchanged looks and read each other’s minds. They slowly sat next to their granddaughter, who spaced out their entire conversation. “Minnie, you know we love you very much, right?” 

 

“Of course. I love you guys too.” she said, not knowing where all this was heading.

 

Halbeoji patted her head, “I’ve known your mother for quite a long time and I can say that she puts as much effort into the our company as she does to her family’s company. For that, I am very grateful.”

 

“Yura was the perfect daughter-in-law anyone could’ve asked for. Not to mention, she gave us such a wonderful grandchild.” Halmeoni said as she lightly pinched Min’s cheeks and continued, “I know your father wasn’t ever the best dad to you nor a good husband to your mom. So we’re really sorry Min. We really are.” 

 

Min held her grandparents’ hands assuringly, “Don’t be sorry. You’re not the ones at fault. I should’ve stood up to him a long time ago.” 

 

Halbeoji sighed, “We love our son, but we know what is wrong and what is right. And our son has done so much wrong. To you and Yura.”

 

“You deserve so much better than this.”  Halmeoni said. She looked over to her husband, who gave her a slight nod of encouragement, urging her to ask. “Minnie, we know this is very sudden and we’re not forcing you to do this. You can accept it or you can say no, but we’re going to ask you once and only once.” 

 

“Would you want to take over the company?” 

 

Take over the company?!!!

 


A few days later…

 

“Umma.” Min greeted, crouching down to place a bouquet of flowers in front of her mother’s grave. Her eyes grew teary already, and it wasn’t even from the cold weather nor the gusty wind that was blowing. 

 

Gently ran her hand along the carved name on the polished stone in front of her, she sighed. “Have you been well? I hope heaven is as good as they say it is.” She smiled as a tear dropped down her cheek and down to the flowers she had laid down on the floor. Another tear dropped, followed by another and another. Pretty soon, there were tears on the headstone, but they weren’t hers. Min looked up the foggy sky and felt wet droplets on her face. She chuckled bitterly. Even the sky was crying for her.

 

She got up and looked ahead, staring off into a distance. “You don’t have to worry about me anymore. I’m eating well and I’m going to school.” She wiped away her tears on her wet face, not caring about how the rain was going to soak her from head to toe. 

 

Go home and don’t catch a cold, Min knew her mom would say. She pushed the thought away and spoke up again, “Halmeoni and Harabeoji are leaving tomorrow and they’re expecting an answer from me.” 

 

She thought about how she spent days of contemplating the idea. Even til now, she felt strange about it, but it wasn’t the time to be indecisive and let her father have everything. Her posture changed, now standing with a straight back. “I decided to fight for it.” She confessed, “I’m going to make you proud, Umma. You’re going to watch over me, right?”

 

There was no answer, not like Min expected any anyway, but it didn’t matter. Deep down, she knew. She knew her mother had always been watching over her. “I love you.” She said, before walking away in the rain.

 


 

School had started and Kikwang couldn’t stop thinking about what he did wrong to have Min act like that. Her eyes may have never met his that day, but he saw them. They were filled with disgust and disappointment. Since then, he was never able to shake the tugging feeling he had every time he thought about it. He hadn’t heard from her since the funeral and as far as he knew, she probably wasn’t even going to school. 

 

That evening though, Doojoon gathered everyone at his house to discuss about something very important. Apparently, Min’s grandparents, who unwillingly but was forced to leave that morning to continue their business trip, informed them that Min has been attending school and that they didn't need to worry about the blonde kid. He was one of their close friends’ son, who was helping Min out with some personal matters. 

 

“So that’s it? She's been going to school but she’s been avoiding us!?” Kikwang roared angrily, eventually stopping from his pacing around.

 

“Calm down, I’m sure she has her reasons.” A soothing voice said. 

 

“Doesn’t make it right for her to do that Yoseob!” 

 

The latter abruptly stood directly across him, “And who are you to judge what’s right for her to do?” 

 

Tension built up in seconds and Kikwang, was once again confused, this time of Yoseob’s sudden anger. Sure, he fought with his friend all the time, but this time it was different. It felt like Yoseob had something against him. 

 

“Break it up, you two.” The leader interrupted, not letting the silence pull any further. Yoseob eventually sat back down and Kikwang continued with pacing around. The leader sighed and rested his elbows on his knees, considering whether or not he should tell them. They deserved to know. 

 

“Look, the truth is… Junhyung and I had been with Min before the funeral.” 

 

“What!?” 

“Hyung!” 

“Why didn’t you tell us!?” 

“Oh my god.” 

“We searched everywhere for her!” 

“We were so worried!” 

“How could you do this to us!?” 

 

The group disrupted the room with many questions and angry utters. Junhyung pinched the bridge of his nose in distaste, stressed from the loud bickering, “THIS IS WHY WE DIDN’T TELL YOU!” he shouted as he was now the one who abruptly stood up. Silence came and went just as he spoke again, “Stop acting like kids for once and try thinking about Min!” 

 

“We’ve been thinking about her, hyung!” Kikwang snapped.

 

“No, you haven’t! You’ve been thinking about yourself this entire time!” Junhyung snapped back, “Don’t think I don’t know about your little confession, Ki. You’ve been putting pressure on her before the accident and now, you’re blaming her for avoiding you! Can’t you put yourself in her shoes and think about how she feels!?” 

 

Kikwang’s face dropped and everyone else didn’t dare speak. Clearly the silence meant that they agreed with the older, didn’t it? Though everyone was shocked by Junhyung’s sudden flare, the others (well, except Hyunseung) were currently focusing on the news they seemed to have missed out on.

 

Confession?

 

Doojoon silently took in the news, half surprised and half not, suspecting his friend had feelings for her ever since the group's little two week trip. The maknae’s mouth was hung open, too shocked to speak. Yoseob skillfully hid his emotions behind a blank face, but even so, his eyes betrayed him. Hyunseung, on the other hand, was surprised Junhyung knew. Well isn’t this the best way for them to find out, he thought.

 

Despite the fact that the cat was finally out of the bag, Junhyung wasn’t finished. “If you really cared about her, you would stop visiting that friend of yours.” He grabbed his jacket and headed to the door.

 

Friend? Does he mean Eunji? “What does she have to do anything with Min?” Kikwang furiously asked, but instead of an answer he was expecting, he got a slam of the door.

 


 

Knock knock knock.

 

"Open up, Min. I know you're in there." There was no response, so Junhyung pulled his phone out and called her. 

 

It rung a few times before she answered. ”Hello?" It was only one word, but Junhyung always had keen hearing. She sounded a little off. 

 

"Minnie? I know you're in there. Come down and open the door." 

 

"No." She quietly replied. 

 

Junhyung ran his hand in his hair, frustrated at her answer but more because of that heated conversation he had with Kikwang. "Why not?" He asked nicely. 

 

"Go away, oppa." She said, tired of speaking. 

 

Apparently it wasn't just him having an off day. Junhyung just really wanted to see Min right now, partially blaming Kikwang for her avoiding them. He was worried sick for her, not to mention, he missed her badly. Seeing her run away last time at the funeral was just heartbreaking. (Again, Kikwang's fault.) "Open the door...please?" 

 

He didn't realize his voice cracked a bit at the end, but there was a pause before she sighed, “The spare's under the plant pot, second one to the right." Her voice strained, followed by a faint cough. Now, he knew for sure she wasn’t okay. The call cut straight after and without much thought, he got the key and opened the door into the house. He knew her grandparents had left already, so Min was alone in the house. Seeing no one in the living room, he decided to go up. 

 

“Minnie?” He knocked on the only closed door and waited for a reply. After faint noises of water running, Min came out in a black long sleeve and baggy sweatpants, looking a little tired than normal. 

 

Junhyung went straight in for a hug, but Min backed away just in time. She looked at his hurt expression, feeling bad about what she had just done. "Why did you come here?" 

 

He stared into her tired eyes with his own for a good moment. There were a bunch of reasons as to why he came, but the only thing he could muster up for now was, "...I miss you."

 

Min looked down with sorrow. She missed him too. She missed her friends. She missed her mom. She was so drowned in thought, Junhyung took the chance to wrap her in his arms. She let out a sigh, she missed being loved. Reluctantly, Min tried pulling away, but he held on tight. "Let go. I don't wanna get you sick." She said, still trying to free herself.

 

"I don't care." He said, making her stop moving in his firm grip. Still keeping her close, he stuck a hand out and felt her forehead, letting out a breath of relief. At least it’s not a fever. 

 

"So you weren't avoiding us?" He asked, making sure.  

 

"I never was…?” She spoke into his shirt. 

 

He reluctantly let go and gave her a questioningly look, “Sure you didn’t.” 

 

“I didn’t!” As her voice raised a bit at the last part, Min started to cough. Junhyung patted her back, feeling bad for thinking that was funny. Boy, did he miss seeing her.

 

“Come on, I’ll make you something to eat. I have to talk to you.” He waited for Min to get a blanket and headed downstairs together. 

 

They finished their meal together in a peaceful silence. Junhyung, not wanting to but knowing he had to, broke the silence and began to talk. “Minnie… do you know who was involved in the accident?” He asked carefully.

 

He noticed her jaw tighten, “I don’t want to talk about it.” 

 

“Min please, I need to know.”  

 

“Why!?” She snapped, her voice cracking.

 

“Because… Hara was in the same hospital that day. She and her friend went out drinking and… got into a car accident.” Junhyung studied her face carefully. “Please tell me it’s not them.” 

 

She was expressionless, not surprised at all. “I can’t tell you that.” She whispered.

 

Something struck within him at that moment. He was pissed. If she knew the killer, why didn’t she do something about it? All this time, he thought she didn’t know who it was. He even went to the hospital again to ask about the accident, but he had no luck with the “confidential” information. “Why don’t you report her?” 

 

“I can’t.” She said.

 

“Of course you ca-” 

 

“No I can’t!” Min shouted as she stood up from her seat. She took a breath, exhaled, and sat back down. “My dad covered everything, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

 

“Why would he do that?” He asked, trying to come up with his own theories.

 

“Because she’s his daughter!” 

 

Time seemed to have stopped for a moment. The room was quiet, but everything seemed so loud. Nothing made sense, yet everything did. It took a couple of seconds for him to recover from the shock, “…What do you mean?” 

 

That was the one thing Junhyung didn’t expect nor think of. She sighed, understanding his reaction. “He has another woman.” 

 

“So… all this time, he…?” 

 

She let out a bitter chuckle, “Yeah, he had another family.” 

 

He looked at her, trying to understand how mad she must’ve been when she found out. To have been lied to her entire life by her own father! Mistreated. Used. Forgotten. How is Mr. Kim still alive right now? If it were him in her shoes, Junhyung would’ve beaten that old man to death, but not before burning everything he owned, down in flames. He would’ve made him watch that, too. So he can feel helpless, defeated, and weak. If only… he can just get a taste of his own medicine. Junhyung sighed, turning away from his vengeful thoughts and focused on another important note. The person who killed Mrs. Kim. 

 

“It’s Kim Eunji, isn’t it?” She nodded. “So that blonde guy I kept seeing…” 

 

“That’s Baekho. He’s the one that helped me investigated all this.” 

 

Everything fell into piece now. That explains that time when he and Doojoon caught him spying on Hara, only it wasn’t Hara. It was her friend that looked so familiar. Kim Eunji, Kikwang’s old neighbor. Come to think of it, Doojoon also said that he saw the blonde around Kikwang’s house. So all those times Dongwoon saw the kid at the mall, he must’ve been investigating and reporting back. He must’ve revealed who the killer was, at the funeral. And as to why she looked at Kikwang with so much distaste, must’ve been her reaction when she found out he visited her mom’s murderer in the hospital, something Junhyung had witnessed himself when he wanted to ask the hospital about the accident.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked sincerely.

 

Min looked into his concerned eyes, knowing she couldn’t lie to him even if she wanted to. Was she okay? No, but she wanted to be okay. Hell, she had to be okay. She had to get over it, so she can make her mom proud. “I’m o-”

 

Junhyung gently pulled her to him, resting her head on his shoulder, “You don’t have to be.” 

 

He began to caress her back soothingly as Min hugged him back. Don’t worry Mrs. Kim, we’ll watch over her.

 


Cough cough cough. 

 

"Yah! I told you not to eat that ice cream!" Yoseob scolded her as he poured her a glass of warm water. 

 

"It's okay oppa, I'm feeling much better today." Min said with a goofy smile. 

 

"Don't try to fool me, Minnie." He handed her the water, "Dongwoon told me you weren't coughing yesterday." 

 

"Thanks." Min gladly accepted it and drank it all it one take. She grinned, "What if Woonie was the one who fooled you?" 

 

"Then I'm going to put you on house arrest and tell the others to not bring any tasty snacks for you." 

 

"What!? That's not fai-" the coughs came again before she was able to finish her sentence.

 

"Aishhh. Should've listened to oppa." He patted her head like it was the key to stop her from coughing, which it wasn't, but the coughs strangely stopped. "Come on, let's get you some medicine."

 

The boys had been watching over her ever since the day Junhyung came over and eventually got caught on with the new info.  All except for Kikwang. After that argument with Junhyung, they haven't seen him since. Min hasn't seen him since the funeral, which, after thinking about it over the past week, made her realize she overreacted a bit. It wasn't his fault for visiting Eunji. He didn't know. She just so happened to be his old neighbor and his first love, according to Doojoon. 

 

Min went back to the couch after taking her medicine. "How's Kikwang?" She couldn't help but be curious. She wanted to at least apologize to him for hurting him last time. He was just protecting her last time, probably thinking Baekho was a stalker or something. 

 

Yoseob took a seat next to her, a little disappointed in her question. Just the mention of Kikwang's name ticked him off. That guy has been ignoring their text messages and calls after his argument with Junhyung. Luckily, Hyunseung has been keeping an eye on him. Apparently, he's been visiting Eunji the whole entire time. This only made Yoseob even more mad. "He's perfectly fine, Min."

 

There was something with the way he said it, which made her feel like she had done something wrong. Especially when he didn't use her nickname. "Are you okay?" 

 

"I'm fine." 

 

She gave him a playful smirk, "You know, whenever people say 'I'm fine,' they're never fine." 

 

Yoseob gave her a smirk of his own, thinking about the many times she had said the words 'I'm fine.'

 

"Come on, tell me what's up." She urged. 

 

"Nothing's up. I just don't know why you're always thinking about Kikwang when he hasn't even been here with you these days." He said, with no hint of hesitancy. 

 

For the second time, Min felt as if she had been doing something wrong. "Why shouldn't I be worrying about my friend?"

 

"That's not what I meant. You should be worrying about yourself first." Yoseob clarified as soon as he realized she seemed somewhat offended. 

 

"But the last time I saw him, I hurt him."

 

Though her statement was mumbled quietly to herself, Yoseob heard every word of it and anger struck him in seconds. "He's hurting you every time he's visiting that girl." He remarked. 

 

She looked at him, surprised. She had always heard Yoseob and Kikwang bicker and fight over things, but this was different. It sounded more serious than ever before. "It's okay, he doesn't even know." She said, trying to calm him down. 

 

He looked at her hug her knees to her chest, feeling even smaller than she already was. "Which is why he needs to know!" Yoseob said without realizing he raised his voice, immediately regretting it by the way it scared her. 

 

Min knew Kikwang had the right to know what was going on. The more she delayed it, the more he'll hate her for not telling him. Besides, he'll find out sooner or later. But for some reason, she couldn't bring herself to. Even when all the boys encouraged her to. "I don't want to ruin their relationship."

 

As much as Yoseob wanted to prevent whatever relationship was happening between Kikwang and Min, he couldn't lie to her. For all he knows, she might have feelings for Kikwang too. All he wanted for her was to be happy. He sighed, "They don't have a relationship, Minnie."

 

"Don't lie to me Oppa. Doojoonie told me she was his first love. The one that got away." There was a hint of sadness in her voice. He couldn't help but feel a little sad as well, taking it as a sign that she does have feelings for him. 

 

"That was before he met you, remember? He told you he liked you and he's still waiting for your answer."

 

"Right." Min sighed, remembering the awkward situation from before. 

 

Yoseob took this moment to ask what everyone else was dying to know. No, it was what everyone needed to know. "So…what are you going to tell him?" 

 

Resting her head on her knees, she sighed again, "I've been asking myself that same question ever since that day."

 

"Do you like him?"

 

"I'm not sure what my feelings are." 

 

"Let me ask you this." he shifted to his right, having a full view of Min in front of him, "Does he make you happy?” 

 

“Yes.” she mumbled.

 

“Does you're heart race around him?” 

 

She nodded, feeling her heart race by the minute. 

 

“Do you get angry at him at the smallest things?” She stared back at him, thinking about his question, to which what Yoseob assumed she answered a ‘yes’ internally. He went ahead and asked his last question, almost sighing.

 

“Is he always on your mind?"

 

 

 

 

…!!!!???


 

A/N: ok, this wasn't really what i was thinking of (well it was kinda, idk where im going with this lol), but i had the urge to update... I hope this chapter explains everything about the accident :P 

 

Feel free to let me know what you think/feel about all this in the comments!

 

Thank you to all my upvoters, subscribers, and commenters! <3<3<3