The Encounter

Give Love a Chance

"Jackson... Could you please stop tapping your pen on the table.?" Mark groaned at Jackson. It was his tenth time saying that in 1 minute.

 

Jackson still continued to tap the pen on the table and even hummed in a rhythm.

Mark pulled out from the chair, grabbed his books and stood up. "Fine... I'm moving out."

 

"See you later at Science class, Mark!" Jackson yelled at Mark who's already at the cafeteria's door.

 

Mark went to the empty gym to study. He sat at the bleachers. Perfect. After 30 minutes of scanning through his Biology book, his varsity mate, Yugyeom entered the gym. He hurriedly run towards Mark who is still focused on his notes.

 

Yugyeom sat beside Mark. "Mark Hyung.. You're too early for practice..."

 

"I'm just reviewing here We'll have an all or nothing quiz. I'll practice basketball later. I need to focus on this exam first."

 

"Ahhh... I know why you're here... Jackson-hyung.. He's noisy even when reviewing. You're always here whenever Jackson is bothering you. Hahahahahah.."

 

Mark looked at his wrist watch. His exam will start in 5 minutes. "Shoot!! I've got 5 minutes...." Mark stood up and run. "I'll be playing later Yugyeom-ah! Bye!!"

 

"Good Luck Mark-Hyung! Fighting!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Mark run as fast as he could to his school building.

 

He was already 10 steps away from his room when he accidentally pushed someone. They both fell on the ground.

 

Mark immediately stood up. He wasn't hurt. He looked backed on the person he accidentally bumped into.

 

He was slumped on the floor and can't barely stand. Mark looked around the hallway and there were no one to help the person but him.

 

Mark extended his hand to the boy. The other took his hand as support so he can stand up.

 

Mark didn't even bother to look the boys face. He was focused on looking at the boys wound on the cheeks.

 

Mark grabbed the other's wrist and dragged him to the clinic.

 

"Oh dear! Hurry let him sit." The nurse told Mark who's holding the boy's hand.

 

The nurse treated the boy . Mark is just standing at the corner watching. I'm so dead... My grade is so dead....

 

"Be careful next time, honey. It's a good thing that you only had a minor bruise and no sprains or fractures."

"Ahhh...."

 

"You'll be fine. It's just an ointment." The nurse assured the boy.

 

After the nurse treated the boy, she made the two sign in the clinic's log book.

 

"Hmmm... So you are Park Jinyoung... Be careful next time okay?... Don't ruin your angelic face."

 

"And you... Mark Tuan... Thanks for bringing your friend here."

 

Mark was about to speak but the boy beside him talked.

 

"Actually ma'am, I don't know who he is. He pushed me while I was on my way to my class."

 

The nurse turned her face to Mark. "Is he right, Mr. Tuan?"

 

"Umm... I was running to my class and I accidentally bumped on him because he was blocking my way."

 

Jinyoung turned his face to the guy who just pushed him. "Heyy! The hallway is very wide and you say I'm blocking the way?"

 

"Okay boys.. Stop.. Don't fight here..."

 

The boys kept their mouth shut.

"Is there anything you need? Excuse letter from the clinic? Maybe you skipped an exam.. I'll provide you with a letter so your teacher can give you consideration."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The two walked away from the clinic.

 

Mark walked in a fast pace while Jinyoung can barely walk.

 

Mark is making his way towards the Science Department to talk to his teacher about what just happened to him. He noticed that Jinyoung is following him. He can hear his heavy footsteps.

 

Mark stopped from walking and turned around.. Jinyoung is about 20 steps away from him. He walked back towards Jinyoung.

 

 

"Why are you following me?" Mark complained.

 

"Excuse me. I'm not following you. I'm going to the Science Department."

 

It was Mark's first time to focus on the guy's face. Jinyoung is giving him a displeased look.

 

"Whatever..."

 

Mark turned away from Jinyoung and walked towards the Science Department.

 

"Can I speak with Mrs. Fei?"

 

"She's having a meeting right now. But she'll be back in 10 minutes." The secretary told Mark.

 

After some minute, Jinyoung entered the room too. He saw Mark sitting on a long couch.

 

Mark gave Jinyoung a bad look.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

3:00 PM After Class….

 

"I thought you the soil have eaten you, to be honest."

 

"Jackson please." Mark is so annoyed.

 

The two walked towards the gym for their practices. Mark is member of the basketball team while Jackson is in the fencing team.

 

"It's a good thing Ms. Fei was kind enough to give us the exam when we went to the department. And man, I passed! Even though half of my mind is just thinking about punching that man."

 

"Whooahh.. easy Mark. It's only the second week of classes. You wouldn't want to be removed from the varsity?"

 

"I can't even believe we have to be classmates with that Jinyoung. I have to spend the rest of my sophomore year seeing him always."

 

"I didn't notice him too. Maybe it's because it's only the second week? ... Your anger will pass. Just forget about what happened."

 

Mark raised the tone of his voice. "I won't forget about what happened. That clumsy brat who blocked my way!"

 

"Whooahh.. Easy Mark."

 

"I could have been kicked out from the varsity. I had to ace that exam to maintain my grade. What if Miss Fei didn't give me a chance to give that major exam? My career could have been ruined."

 

Jackson went closer to Mark and put his arms around Mark's shoulder. "Yo... Just move on okay? At least nothing bad happened. You still took the exam and you're still in the team."

 

"I want him to pay for what he has done." Mark replied dryly.

 

"Easy Mark... Hold your temper. Don't be so harsh on the boy."

 

"I don't know Jackson. I'm just so pissed with him. Just wait and see."

 

"Just let your anger out on playing basketball, Mark."

 

"Okay.. Okay."

 

The two went on separate ways when they arrived at the gym.

 

Jackson walked towards his locker with a deep thought. Mark has never been so angry like that before. And I don't think he will be so mad about small things. I'm worried for that boy - Jinyoung. I haven't seen Mark's darker side in years of knowing him.