Chapter 21: The Key Chain

I'm in Love with a Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 21

 

“Are you sure you’re fine?” Seohyun asked Yonghwa as they walk at the Center Plaza. “We can just go back to your house if you’re tired already."

 

Yonghwa stopped and pinched Seohyun’s nose, “Why do you worry too much? I am okay. I want to see your school.” He said and chuckled excitedly like a child.

 

Seohyun sighed, “But you should rest more. It’s only two weeks since you got discharged from the hospital.” 

 

They were walking at the Central Plaza where Juilliard School is. Yonghwa has been wanting to walk around New York with Seohyun and wanted to visit the theater school since he knows it's been a big part of Seohyun's life.

 

“Wow... So you stayed here for two years...” Yonghwa mumbled as he looks up at the building. “I wonder if we ever crossed or bumped into each other before when I was in New York too.. who would have thought that we studied once in the same city..." He commented, still looking amazed at the building.

 

Seohyun is just staring at him. “Okay...now you see Juilliard and the theater stages where I played, can we now go back to your house? I'm so worried. There are so many people around Yong... you might get exhausted." Seohyun continued to nag.

 

Yonghwa walks in front of Seohyun and held her shoulders, “Seo Joohyun... I am fine. I’ll tell you if I’m not, okay? I just want to go around you.. come on.. let's go the the skating rink at the Center Park." He said as he immediately grabs Seohyun's hand.

 

Yonghwa acted like a child when he saw the skating rink and immediately went and skate, trying to look like a pro but he isn’t. While Seohyun walks slowly, adjusting with the skating shoes.

 

“Hyun!” Yonghwa called her and gestured her to come near. Then he saw her struggling to get inside the rink so he went towards her to help. "Come on.. Hold my hands." He said.

 

They talked and laughed like nothing else matters. 

 

“Getting the feel of it?” Yonghwa asked as they skate slowly while holding hands.

 

Seohyun happily nods her head and continues to skate.

 

Yonghwa then clears his throat, “Hyun...”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“What are we?” He asked.

 

Seohyun stopped and looked at Yonghwa. They faced each other and for a long moment, they looked at each other. Both are with full of questions.

 

Yonghwa held both of Seohyun’s hands tighter. “Can you tell me what are we? This...” He said looking at their hands, “Us...”

 

“We are...are..two people who love each other...” Seohyun answered sincerely.

 

“Are we...officially together?” 

 

Seohyun grinned shyly, “Yong...we met in the weirdest way ever... Do I still need to assure you that we’re together?” 

 

“I just want to hear it...” Yonghwa said with tenderness in his voice.

 

Seohyun touches Yonghwa’s face and looked at him straight in his eyes, “Jung Yonghwa, I love you... I am in love with you and I will always be in love with you... whatever happens, whether there's another mission or another weird situation, nothing will change the way I feel for you."

 

Yonghwa smiled widely and kissed Seohyun’s forehead. 

 

“I love you too.” He whispered.

 

***

 

At the Battery Park, they can clearly see the Statue of Liberty. They rested their arms on the railings and stare at the Liberty.

 

“This is where I took the picture of the Liberty at the background.” Seohyun stood at the long bench while pointing the spot. Then she smiled, "Your Mom told me that you have my picture in your room..."

 

Yonghwa was taken aback. “Omma told you about it?” 

 

Seohyun smiled and nodded her head like a child. Yonghwa blushed and sighed shyly. 


”I”m sorry... I took it when I was in the hospital when I visited you. I asked your Unnies for it... It’s my favorite picture. I liked it.” He explained. "You look so pretty on it.."

 

Seohyun chuckled, “Pretty? Oh Yong, you don’t know how hard I tried to take that picture.” 

 

Then Yonghwa hugged her from the back, “You’re pretty whatever you do, anyway.” He said. 

 

“Oh..” Seohyun suddenly mumbled and faced Yonghwa. “I forgot to give this back to you...” She said.

 

She gets the key chain from her coat and hands it to Yonghwa. 

 

He smiled looking at the key chain on his palm. “You brought this all the way here?” 

 

Seohyun nodded her head. “Like what I told you, that little thing made me remember you. So now, I think it’s equally important me like how it is important to you."

 

Yonghwa wrapped his arm around Seohyun while he holds the key chain on his other hand. They both stare at the key chain. 

 

“Do you mind telling me now why that key chain is so important to you?” Seohyun asked.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Flashback.

February 11, 2010 - 5:20 p.m.

Battery Park Manhattan, New York City

 

 

Yonghwa was walking at the park after his class. He was able to survive one year in New York, alone and feeling exiled. Every after his class, he goes to his park and unwinds.

 

He misses home. He has friends taking up MBA too, but nothing really compares with his friends back in Korea. 

 

His phone beeps. 

 

“Yonghwa Oppa, I can’t come. I still have practice for the debate contest. I’ll just see you around at school.” It was a text from Shinhye.

 

He’s alone again. Well, actually, he really doesn’t need Shinhye to accompany him since he is used to going around this park all alone since he studied in New York.

 

As usual, he would sit on one of the benches and wander his eyes around the place and look at the people walking. He would see a lot of tourists, usually families and couples. There are also kids playing and running around the park.

 

Most of the time, he feels like he’s the only one who doesn’t have a company. He’s the only one, alone in this park. But he just chuckled it off and he doesn't even know why he keeps on coming back to this park everyday.

 

Suddenly, while Yonghwa was relaxing himself like the usual, he noticed a child crying at the center of the park. He observes the child for a while, but it seems like something's wrong.

 

“Hey...” Yonghwa approached the child and knelt to level the height, “Are you okay? What’s wrong?” He asked while comforting the child by caressing her back.

 

But the child just cries and cries. 

 

Yonghwa took out candies he bought, “Do you want some?” He offered to ease the child’s sobs. But the little girl continues to cry.

 

With a loud sob, the child continues to cover her eyes as tears fall, “I’m lost. I can’t find my Dad.” she suddenl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter