Chapter 20: Mission Accomplished

I'm in Love with a Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20

 

“Hyun...”

 

Seohyun slowly turns her head and saw Yonghwa smiling at her. 

 

“Yong!” She mumbled and directly gave him a hug. 

 

They embraced for a long time. Seohyun’s eyes start to well up as she can’t contain how happy she’s feeling. “Yong... I’m sorry I didn't remember you earlier...I'm sorry." She said in tears.

 

“Ssshhh...” Yonghwa hushed her and comfort her. “It’s okay...it’s okay.” He said while giving all his strength to embrace her.

 

Seohyun pulled up herself from the embrace and looked at Yonghwa’s face. She covered his cheek with her palm, “Yong...” she said almost in a whisper, "Look..." She said while raising up the key chain that's in her hand, "This helped me remember you.."

 

Yonghwa smiled while looking at the key chain and then he looked back at Seohyun, “I thought you’ll never remember me." He said under his breath.

 

A teardrop falls again on Seohyun’s face and embraced Yonghwa tightly, “But I did. I did remember you...and I’m thankful for that. I'm thankful that I met you."

 

Even with a struggle, Yonghwa managed to chuckle weakly, “And no one can ever understand how we met...” 

 

“You know what...” Seohyun started as she gazed at Yonghwa’s eyes, “I kept asking myself why you’re the only one who can see me that time, why you're the only one I can feel when somebody touches my lying body in the hospital... I kept asking why I was wandering around and what my unfinished mission is.."

 

Yonghwa was just listening intently at her while he admires her beautiful face. 

 

She paused, took a deep breath and smile at Yonghwa with mist in her eyes and continued, “And now I found out the reason why I was given the second chance to live again... I know now what my unfinished mission was..."

 

“What?” Yonghwa asked in a whisper.

 

Seohyun covered Yonghwa’s cheek with her palm again, “You...” She answered. “You’re my mission, Yong... You’re the reason why I should continue to live."

 

He smiled at her. 

 

Yonghwa slowly held up his hand to hold Seohyun’s hand that’s on his cheek, he closed his eyes and felt her touch, “Do you know what Shinhye told me when we broke up?" He suddenly asked.

 

Seohyun slowly shook her head, ready to listen to him.

 

“She told me that what we had was not really love... But what we had was just a mere insurance to our names...something that will benefit both our families and status." He said while looking from afar, recalling the break up.

 

Seohyun held Yonghwa’s hand to comfort her from that painful memory and she continued to listen.

 

“After our break up, I’ve been asking myself if Shinhye was right...I asked myself, was it not really love? Then what is love then?” Yonghwa continued.

 

Then, he looked at Seohyun, he started to tear up but painted a genuine smile on his face, “And those questions kept running on my mind until an annoying, talkative, nagger and lost spirit suddenly appeared in my apartment."

 

Seohyun chuckled a little, together with a happy tear that suddenly falls from her eye. They were both looking at each other, that look with full of longing and anticipation.

 

“Shinhye was right. What she and I had was not love after all.” Yonghwa said, and then he smiled while wiping the tears on Seohyun's cheek, "I never knew what really love was until I fell in love with a ghost.."

 

“Yong...” Seohyun whispered. 

 

“I’m in love with you Seo Joohyun...” Yonghwa said under his breath.

 

Seohyun wrapped her arms around him and cried out of happiness for the longest time. 

 

“You were annoying, you keep on nagging, you were a ghost...and then you woke up...you forgot about me... All those times, I was and am in love with you.." Yonghwa confessed.

 

Seohyun hugged him tightly. Vivid memories of the time her spirit was wandering suddenly came to her mind. The images were clear, the moment she suddenly appeared in the apartment, their conversation, the way he made her laugh, the way they listen to each other, the way he helped her... all memories came to mind.

 

And yes, she knew she was also falling for him since then.

 

“I’m in love with you, too Yong.” She whispered while he was on her embrace. 

 

Then they face each other, wearing smiles and tears that they both cherish for each other.

 

Suddenly... 

 

“Ah” Seohyun muttered as a light blinds her. “Yong...” She called for him.

 

“Hyun...” Yonghwa said, “Hyun...” He repeated.

 

Seohyun started to pant, not knowing what’s happening, “Yong...what’s happening? Ahhh” She reacted with her arms covering her eyes because of a very bright light that envelopes the room. "Yong!" She raised her voice worriely because all she sees is ray of light.

 

But Yonghwa calmly said, “Hyun...somebody’s calling me...”

 

When Seohyun realized what it meant, she started to panic, “Yong! No Yong! Don’t follow them... Stay.. You have to stay! Please Yong!"

 

“Hyun..........” Yonghwa calls her name until it almost sounded like just an echo.

 

***

 

Seohyun woke up and catches her breath. She was panting and sweating heavily. She looked at her surrounding and she was still in Yonghwa's room. She then tightly grips his hand when suddenly, the ECG beeps indicating that Yonghwa's heartbeat is slowing down.

 

“Yong...” She muttered worriedly. 

 

Seohyun immediately ran outside the room, “Doctor! I need a doctor!” she screamed while crying as she calls for help. A lot of staff instantly went inside the room.

 

Yonghwa’s parents arrived and they all panicked. 

 

Looking at Yonghwa worriedly, Seohyun stayed by his side. The nurses and doctor uttered words that she do not understand but enough for her to know what's happening.

 

“Yong...you have to live...please..” She said with tears already.

 

“We ask all you to move aside.” The doctor then said, and he started asking for the defibrillator. “Clear!” The doctor mumbled as everybody moved far from the patient.

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa’s parents were led out of the room.

 

“No..Yong! Yong! Please don’t give up...don’t leave me!” Seohyun begged while she is being dragged outside the room.

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa’s mom find comfort in each other’s arms as they hugged each other while crying and worrying for Yonghwa.

 

In Yonghwa’s mom’s embrace, Seohyun recalled her dream. 

 

You told me you love me...so please don’t leave me Yong...please... I’m begging you... I lived again because I still need to be with you. Please don't give up. I know that dream is true.. all of what you said in the dream is true. Please Yong... you have to live..., Seohyun thought while she was crying on Mrs. Jung's shoulder.

 

Then the doctor suddenly went out of the room. 

 

“Doctor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter