Chapter 19: Realization

I'm in Love with a Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 19

 

 

“He’s in New York...” Seohyun told herself while walking without energy around the busy streets of Macau. 

 

Seohyun didn’t sleep the entire night when she arrived in Macau. She can’t remember how many rounds she took going around the Grand Canal on gondola. She kept thinking about Yonghwa.

 

***

 

Minhyuk knocks desperately on the door. He knocks and knocks. He checks his watch and it’s already 11:00 in the evening. He’s sure that everybody's asleep but he needs to tell them.

 

Yoona opened the door, “Oh...Dr. Kang?” She said with a hoarse voice, and rubs her eyes after getting up from sleep. “What are you doing here at this hour?"

 

“I’m sorry for disturbing. I’m really sorry.”

 

Taeyeon gets up from bed when she heard that there’s someone Yoona’s talking to. “Yoona-ya...who is it?” She said with a tired voice. "Oh..Dr. Kang." Taeyeon muttered when she realized it's Minhyuk.

 

“Nobody’s at Seohyun-ssi’s apartment so I’m here to ask if she’s here. Did she really go to Macau yesterday?” Minhyuk asked.

 

“Yes. She’s there. Why? Is there anything wrong?” Taeyeon answered.

 

Minhyuk massaged his forehead in frustration, “Did she tell you when she’s coming back?”

 

Yoona and Taeyeon just exchanged glances, “Well...” Taeyeon was thinking, “She just said she’ll come back soon... Wait, how did you know that Seohyunnie went to Macau?"

 

Minhyuk sighed, “Did she tell you why she went to Macau?” he asked instead of answering Taeyeon’s question.

 

“Actually...no. She didn’t tell us why. She was in a hurry.”

 

“She went to the hospital yesterday and asked me where Yonghwa Hyung is.” Minhyuk said and looked at the two women, “She finally remembers him. She went to Macau to look for him."

 

Taeyeon and Yoona looked at each other smiling.

 

“But...” Minhyuk started again, “But Yonghwa Hyung is not in Macau anymore. He’s in New York. And I’m here to actually inform Seohyun-ssi about what happened."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The following morning, she went to all the places they visited before. But she stopped when she felt so sad while eating the egg tart. It looked delicious when Yonghwa was eating it before, now how come she doesn't feel good eating it? She sighed realizing everything is useless in Macau without Yonghwa.

 

While sitting on one of the benches in Senado Square, she continues to watch the people around. Then she checks her watch knowing it's time to go back to Seoul. She informed her Unnies that she's coming back.

 

***

 

“Unnie, why are you all here?” Seohyun was surprised when she entered the apartment with all her Unnies inside. 

 

All the girls exchange glances. 

 

Seohyun sighed, “Fine Unnie, I’m sorry for rushing off and leaving without even explaining. I know that--”

 

“Seohyunnie...” Hyoyeon cut her off, “Uhm...something happened...”

 

She frowned, intently listening, “What is it?”

 

“Dr. Kang visited us..last..last night..” Yoona stuttered. 

 

“Okay...and then?”

 

Taeyeon clears her throat, “Yonghwa-ssi...Yonghwa-ssi had an accident in New York.”

 

Seohyun creased her eyebrows more, looking at each of the girls, “You’re kidding, right? What accident? What are you talking about, Unnie?" She cracked her voice.

 

Tiffany immediately approached to support her.

 

“Seohyunnie..calm down..” Taeyeon continued.

 

Seohyun’s eyes start to well up. “No...no... That’s not true.” she whispered.

 

“Maknae-ah...” Tiffany tries to calm her as she hugs Seohyun tight. She led Seohyun to sit on the couch while Hyoyeon gets a glass of water to calm Seohyun.

 

Her hands are trembling, she turned to Tiffany who is calming her back, “He’s okay, right Unnie? Yonghwa is fine, right?” Seohyun asked with worries.

 

Tiffany turned to the girls, hesitant to answer, “Maknae...” Tiffany started, “They said Yonghwa-ssi is in a very critical condition right now."

 

More tears continue to fall from Seohyun’s eyes, “Why now? Why now when I already remembered him?” Seohyun whispered between her sobs. She cried on Tiffany's shoulder and after a moment, she held her face up and wipes her tears, "I need to go to New York. I want to be there."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Yeobo, what will happen to our son?” Mrs. Jung cried continuously since they arrived in New York when they found out about Yonghwa's accident.

 

Mr. Jung embraced his wife as they wait in the hospital. “Let’s just continue to pray that he will be fine.” He said to calm his wife.

 

Shortly, the three boys arrived too. They all took a leave from work to check Yonghwa’s situation.

 

The doctors transferred Yonghwa to the ICU after some tests. His condition is critical. They said there was a brain damage and a series of tests must be done for the next few days. What worries them is he's unconscious from the time of the accident until now.

 

***

 

It was morning the following day when Seohyun arrived in New York. She knew the details from Minhyuk and she directly went to the hospital from the airport. Good thing she remembers the place when she was still studying in Julliard.

 

Her hands are fidgeting, her eyes are swollen for lack of sleep and from crying. She’s been worrying the entire time.

 

“Seohyun-ssi...” Jungshin mumbled when he saw her running towards them.

 

“Where’s Yonghwa? Where is he? How is he?” She asked, still with teary eyes.

 

“He was in ICU yesterday, now they transferred him already to a private room, but he’s still unconscious.” Jonghyun answered.

 

“Can I see him?” Seohyun asked.

 

When the boys opened the door, she slowly walks inside the room. 

 

“Yong...” She mumbles as she approaches Yonghwa’s lying body on bed. Tears suddenly fall in her eyes. She held his hand and caressed it for the longest time. "Yong, it's me...I'm sorry I didn't remember you right away..I'm really sorry.." She cried as she rests her head on his hands with tears that continue to fall.

 

She then takes out something from her pocket. 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter