Chapter 1: That Night

I'm in Love with a Ghost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

 

July 12, 2015 - 8:47 p.m.

 

“Damn it!” Yonghwa got inside his car and slammed the door. “Aaargh!” He shouted in frustration. The rain seems to be in line with his emotions as it pours heavily.

 

His hands are gripping tightly on the steering wheel as his hands almost turn to white. Then he continuously punches the lifeless steering wheel, until he got tired and rested his head on it. He started to breathe harder. Panting because of the punches, and he looked at his fists that are red already. And he's breathing harder because of the pain he is feeling inside.

 

After a few minutes, he covered his face with his palms and sighed very deeply.

 

He reached his pocket for his mobile phone and dialed it immediately.

 

“Where are you?”

 

“Hyung...I’m at the site... Why?” Jonghyun, his best friend, answered on the other line. 

 

“I’m coming.” Yonghwa answered. “Wait for me there. Call Minhyuk and Jungshin too.”

 

This is not good, Jonghyun thought. It’s a rainy Wednesday evening and usually, Yonghwa wouldn’t call him and the two other boys on a weekday. Surely, there's a problem. He wonders what happened to Yonghwa after hearing his voice which was obviously in a bad condition.

 

Jonghyun continues to think as he waits for the other line to be answered.

 

“Hello, Jonghyun Hyung?” Jungshin answered on the seventh ring. 

 

He sighed, “A storm is brewing Jungshin-ah...”

 

“Who?”

 

“Yonghwa Hyung... Do you still have flights?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“None anymore. I’m off duty now.”

 

“Good.” Jonghyun said. “I can’t calm Yonghwa Hyung alone. You know that. Just stay there at the airport and we will pick you up.”

 

This time, it was Jungshin who sighed. He knows it’s going to be a long night. “Arasseo. I’ll call Minhyuk.”

 

Yonghwa is the oldest among the four of them, but he always confides with his dongsaengs when something bad is up. And most of the time, it will take them hours just listening to each others' stories. They know each other too much and surely they know when each four of them should be present.

 

“Minhyuk said let’s just wait for him for at least ten more minutes.” Jungshin said when he and Jonghyun were already inside Yonghwa's car, waiting at the parking lot.

 

After the promised ten minutes, Minhyuk ran towards them.

 

“Where are we going?” He asked.

 

The two shrugged and turned to Yonghwa who planned on meeting up. But without a word, Yonghwa immediately turned and drives off.

 

Yonghwa impatiently blows the car horn. He continuously pressed it. 

 

“Crap!” He shouted. “Why aren’t these stupid cars moving?”

 

His three other friends who are inside the car, exchange glances at each other. None of them dared to ask. Usually, they wait a few minutes before asking what really happened.

 

They thought maybe it was a bad day at work, or another scold he got from his Dad. The only certain thing is every time Yonghwa is in a bad mood, they should just follow whatever he says unless they want war. However, tonight is a little more different, more intense and surely a bigger problem.

 

“Hyung...” Jungshin bravely mumbled, “What happened?”

 

There was silence. Yonghwa kept on blowing the horn, ignoring his dongsaeng. 

 

Minhyuk elbowed Jungshin who sits beside him at the back, “Just shut up Jungshin-ah..." he said. "Look at how furious he is right now." He whispered.

 

The four of them have been friends since high school. They all belong to well-off families but were a little rebellious. They started off as a band. They all thought that they'll end up being musicians. But everything changes when Yonghwa was sent to the States and study business when they were in college.

 

Although they do different professions now, they still constantly see each other and even bought a ‘weekend house’ for the four of them where they can hang out during rest days or free time. And usually, when they're together, they just hang out and play instruments in the house like how they used to.

 

“Aarrgh! This traffic is starting to make me more angry.” Yonghwa commented. 

 

When they slowly move as other cars in front also slowly motioned, they found out why.

 

“Oh... There’s an accident. That’s why it’s traffic.” Jonghyun said as he opens the car window and sneaks his head out a little to watch the scene. "Tsk, the car is totally wrecked." He said while shaking his head in disbelief.

 

“Look, there’s still blood all over the covers...” Jungshin pointed out.

 

The people gathering around the accident scene makes it more hard for the motorists to pass by and they create a heavy traffic.

 

“The driver must be drunk, don’t you think?” Minhyuk said innocently. “Do you think the driver died there?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter