#17

Cheshire

Summary: Teaching a cat it’s harder than teaching any other animal.

 

SangHyuk’s tail swung from side to side as he smiled at TaekWoon during their usual routine in the morning before his master left for work. Except now he got a sweet goodbye kiss and the moment the front door closed, he would run to the piano where he sat on the bench just like he watched TaekWoon do all the time.

 

His fingers hovered over the keys, almost afraid to touch them, like they were sacred because TaekWoon almost never let anyone else play it. SungJae was one of those exceptions since he was going through a lot and the sound of it made him feel better, even though that happened months ago it still bothered him that he couldn’t help his owner when he got stuck on a composition or a new song for the duo. His hand fell back onto his lap, lip between his teeth, as he stared at the instrument in front of him like it was mocking him, for a moment the idea of scratching it crossed his mind but he soon pushed it away because he was sure TaekWould would never forgive him if he did something to his beloved Grand Steinway.

 

Giving up, he sighed and slowly crawled back to his usual spot on the couch, he clawed one of the cushions out of boredom before his phone went off with an incoming message. SangHyuk stretched his long arms over the edge to pick it up from the coffee table, he knew it was from HongBin since they had made plans to go out a few days back so he wasn’t surprised to his name on his status bar.

 

From: HongBingBong (12:06pm).

 

Hey, Hyukkie? The plans are still on?

 

From: SangHyuk (12:08pm).

 

Yeah, you coming or we meet somewhere?

 

From: HongBingBong (12:13pm)

 

Already here.

 

It had been a while since the two had been alone, they were always accompanied by one of their friends but they all were busy with the duo’s schedules. HongBin took him to the Han River to take photos (using him as a model), his friend started working as a model for the same company as all the others so in the end, SangHyuk was the only one with nothing to do. He felt kind of a freeloader even when TaekWoon made sure to always let him do anything he wanted, he still paid for everything.

 

“HongBin-ah, do you know someone who plays the piano?”  he asked as they sat in a café nearby the Jellyfish building, wanting to pass by later and wish the pair luck on their next performances, “And don’t say TaekWoon hyung.”

 

“I think JaeHwan hyung also plays the piano, not as good, but he does it pretty well too,” HongBin shrugged, “Why?”

“I need him to teach me,” his best friend arched an eyebrow at him, “I want to do something, ok? All of you are so busy right now, I need to keep myself occupied too.”

 

“Hey, I just did one photo-shoot for them and that was because HakYeon hyung annoyed me into it,” SangHyuk stared amused at his friend’s expression, he found it cute how he could act as if his owner was nuisance when in reality, he could never be without him, “besides, what are you planning on doing once you learn?”

 

“I don’t know, give classes?” HongBin snorted, choking on his coffee accidently and SangHyuk couldn’t say he was sorry for him.

 

“Please, SangHyuk,” he managed to say after his coughing fit finished, “why don’t you just look for a hobby or something?”

 

“Just because,” the older scratched the back of his neck as he groaned.

 

“I’ll talk to him.”

 

~

 

JaeHwan could seem like a very silly person but he knew how to pretend when it was needed, SangHyuk practically begged him not to let TaekWoon know about their classes and he somehow managed to find holes in his schedule to practice with him without raising any suspicions. The bad part about the whole idea was that SangHyuk was very stubborn at learning, well, almost everything if it wasn’t his way so his hyung spent a huge amount of time getting him to pay attention and actually practice.

 

It took them a month for SangHyuk to barely be able to read the notes, it was the first time JaeHwan felt like giving up, “Hyukkie-ah, if you really want to learn to play so much, why do you keep on…resisting?”

 

“I do not,” he whined in his usual high pitched voice from when he lied so JaeHwan only stared at him, “Ok, maybe I do…”

 

“I get that you want to impress TaekWoon or whatever but…there’s other ways,” JaeHwan patted his head, right between his ears, “and if you want to spend more time with him, just ask him to teach you.”

 

“I want to help him, not be a burden,” SangHyuk finally admitted, eyes casting down along with his ears and tail, “even SungJae helped him more than I do when he lived here.”

 

“So that’s what this is all about,” his hyung rolled his eyes, “TaekWoon hyung adores you, SangHyuk-ah. No matter if someone knows or does something you don’t.”

 

“Wow, that sounded so wrong,” the catboy frowned as he glared at his friend, shaking his head but JaeHwan only smiled sheepishly.

 

“Sorry? But I think the one that should teach you something like this is TaekWoon hyung,” JaeHwan’s smile turned warm, looking at his friend with an understanding spark in his eyes, the same one he seemed to have whenever WonSik wasn’t used to the changes between them, “I believe that’s what you need to get that confidence back.”

 

“I don’t want to annoy him, he’s got plenty to worry about already,” SangHyuk hugged himself, leaning against his hyung’s shoulder before he caressed his hair.

 

“You’d never annoy him, I mean, he’d love it even if you bugged him every second of every day.”

 

“You’re exaggerating,” JaeHwan shrugged slight, wincing at the younger’s playful bite on his hand, “bad cat!”

 

~

 

TaekWoon arrived home a few days later, he toed his shoes off as he walked to the living room expecting to see his kitten on the couch or the bay window but he found him sitting in front of the piano. He tilted his head to the side, “SangHyuk?” his ears perked up and quickly turned to face him, “Is something wrong?”

 

“No, I…” he looked down at his fingers which had somehow got a hold of his tail and were playing with it in a nervous manner, “how was your day?”

 

“Normal?” TaekWoon walked to take the spot next to him, pushing his bangs back to get his attention, “JaeHwan told me the real reason he missed a few practices lately.”

 

“He did, huh?” the catboy snorted, “So…you know.”

 

“Well, he told me he tried to teach you but you didn’t let him, basically,” his master seemed amused by what he said, “so…show me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Show me what you learned,” SangHyuk’s hands started trembling the moment they touched the keys then he clenched his fists, about to let go of the idea, when he felt long fingers over his own. TaekWoon’s hands weren’t that bigger than his but since he was a pianist; his fingers were longer so he could easily move his hands along with his own as he pressed each key. He was so scared about everything that he didn’t realize that TaekWoon wasn’t even looking at their hands but at him until he came face to face with him after he looked up, “It’s ok, we’ll start from the basics,” he nodded, a bright smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

 

It didn’t take SangHyuk more than a month to grasp everything TaekWoon taught him, even practicing after the elder left for work, he even called JaeHwan to show him of his improve. It was a few weeks later that they played together one of the firsts songs TaekWoon composed for the duo that he remembered the real reason it all started.

 

“Well, now you can help me when I get stuck in a composition,” TaekWoon pressed a kiss to his temple, “or even make your own.”

“Really? You think so?” he grinned widely, eyes disappearing into crescent moons, “It’ll make me really happy if I’d be able to do that.”

 

“So…you did all of this just because you were jealous of the time SungJae helped me,” SangHyuk’s ears flatted to his head, “why do you keep comparing yourself to him?”

 

“Because even back in the hotel, he’s everything I’m not.”

 

“You’re something he’d never be to me, SangHyuk, try to keep that in mind whenever you feel that way,” TaekWoon his cheek before kissing him lightly on the lips.


Note: Hey, guuuys! I'm really sorry for the wait but I started my last semester and I'm so busy with school these days, I have no idea how I found time to finish this one and for the same reason it took a weird turn I didn't expect while writing it so this wasn't what I pictured but I hope you like it. Btw, have you seen Love Equation? It's so cute! I died, for real!

As always, I appreciate a lot all of your comments! Thanks and lots of kisses! <3

PS: All mistakes are mine, I was so rushed.