Nine

For You My Flower Blooms

Nine

 

It came like a storm. The thudding on the apartment door was unlike anything Ricky heard before and the visual maknae was afraid to even answer it. He crept out into the hallway and stared at the door waiting it for the knocking to stop though it never did. It scared him and he was rooted to the spot until Changjo came up behind him.

 

“I'm coming I'm coming please, just... shut up,” Changjo was saying irritated as he zipped up his parka and approached the door.

 

The two had just been woken from their sleep, it was still early in the morning and it was not something to be pleased about. Changjo wrenched the door open, but the scowl on his face immediately dropped upon seeing who it was.

 

“Minwoo hyung,” Changjo said.

 

Ricky came up behind Changjo, curious about who it was.

 

“Hi, hyung.”

 

“Where is he?” Minwoo asked, he looked worried, his face pale with what the maknae pair assumed fatigue.

 

Minwoo pushed in, looking around the room and wringing together his arms.

 

“Where is who?” Changjo asked closing the door and following Minwoo back in.

 

Minwoo rounded on the two, eyes wide, “Daniel. He never came home last night. He never even called. He's not answering his calls. He never does this. He tells me everything.”

 

“Woah, hyung calm down. Have a seat,” Changjo offered, gesturing towards the couch.

 

Minwoo did as told still ranting, “I'm so worried really. You haven't seen him have you? This is so unlike him.”

 

“No, we haven't but--”

 

“Hyung?”

 

The three occupants of the living room looked up at the new comer. It was Niel entering the living room, an uncertain expression on his face.

 

“What are you doing here?” Niel asked.

 

Minwoo hopped up, “I was worried. Where were you? You weren't answering your phone at all. You know how worried I was?”

 

“I'm sorry,” Niel said.

 

Minwoo frowned and Niel stepped forward, reaching out and touching his boyfriend's wrist. Minwoo pulled his wrist back and crossed his arms and Niel hung his head.

 

“I really am.”

 

“Yeah? Not sorry enough to have called,” Minwoo pointed out bitterly.

 

“I would have called but my phone died!” Niel tried to explain.

 

“As if no one in this house has a charger you could use?” scoffed Minwoo.

 

“I didn't think—”

 

“That's the problem,” Minwoo cut him off. “You didn't think. You never think!”

 

Niel hung his head once more, murmuring another soft, “I'm sorry.”

 

“Daniel,” Ricky came forward and placed a hand on Niel's shoulder. “He was really worried. You know you could have borrowed my charger. You should have called him.”

 

“Yeah, don't do that. He worried about you all night!” Changjo agreed.

 

“I'm sorry,” Niel said again.

 

“They're right. I stayed up all night. I didn't know what happened to you. I even called your parents house,” Minwoo stated.

 

“I won't do it again.”

 

It was then that C.A.P walked in, squinting at everyone with sleepy eyes. He scratched at his neck and then leveled them all with a frown.

 

“What's with all the noise in the morning,” he huffed. “Hyung, it was only one night. Can't you drop it?”

 

There was a brief staring contest as the maknae trio watched and waited as Minwoo and C.A.P stared each other down. A hint of challenge was present in C.A.P's eyes but Minwoo broke the gaze first, slinging his arm around Niel's shoulders.

 

“Ah, did I wake you?” Minwoo asked, voice light and pleasant. “Sorry about that. I was just so worried because of this hardheaded kid.”

 

He grinned down at Niel and ruffled the vocalist's hair with his free hand. Niel did nothing to stop him, eyes trained on the ground.

 

“Anyway, enjoy the rest of the morning. We'll get going. See you at the office.”

 

Minwoo steered Niel towards the door, bending down to grab Niel's shoes. He helped Niel into them, even tying the laces before standing and slipping on his own.

 

He turned to the others, “See you.”

 

“See you,” Changjo and Ricky said back in unison.

 

The door closed behind Minwoo and Niel and then Ricky rounded on C.A.P.

 

“Niel was here?” Ricky asked.

 

C.A.P shrugged.

 

“Why didn't you let Niel use your phone if he was going to be staying here? Minwoo was so worried,” Ricky pouted.

 

He crossed the room and sat down the the couch with a plop. Changjo seemed to have lost interest in the incident and disappeared back into his room.

 

“Are you going back to bed?”

 

C.A.P glanced at the clock, “I might as well stay up now.”

 

“Haha wow, really? I never thought I'd hear you say that,” Ricky laughed.

 

He hopped back up again and grabbed C.A.P's arm dragging him to the kitchen.

 

“Let's make breakfast.”

 

///////\\\\\\\\\

 

The door slamming shut was the only indication of Minwoo's anger. Otherwise he seemed fine. His face was in perfect control, he didn't become a trending actor for lack of skill, but as Niel set his wallet and keys down on the coffee table he knew better than to think he was in the clear. He had to apologize, or at least explain himself, before things got any worse.

 

He sighed, remembering the events of last night. In hindsight he had been so stupid. Even though he and C.A.P didn't really go any further Niel's guilt wouldn't let him return home. He had been to afraid to call, lest he'd be scolded, and too afraid to come back in for the same reason. But he saw now how foolish he'd been. Delaying the inevitable only made the matter worse; he had worried Minwoo to near death.

 

“I really did mean to call.”

 

He turned to face his boyfriend but Minwoo had already disappeared into his bedroom. Niel followed.

 

“Jagiya,” he said, entering.

 

Minwoo was sitting on his bed and Niel sat down beside him just as Minwoo stood up and left the room again. Niel did as well, this time meeting Minwoo in the kitchen where he was taking out a box of cornflakes.

 

He didn't say anything as Niel sat down on the stool. He didn't even look at him. Niel was used to it and sat with his arms folded in front of him on the counter top. He would wait for Minwoo to speak. It was the only thing he could do. Minwoo filled his bowl then returned the cereal box before retrieving the milk. A few minutes of agonizing silence passed as Minwoo ate beside him. Not a single word was uttered and then Minwoo stood again, leaving his dishes on the counter and leaving the room.

 

Niel moved to pick up the dishes and began to wash them in the sink. It was an almost impossible task what with the way that his hands were shaking. He could barely hold the sponge and he had to pause, taking a few composing breathes, before continuing. He washed off the foam, dried the dish and utensil with a cloth and then put them back in the cupboard.

 

Just as he finished Minwoo came back in and Niel attempted to smile at him but it went ignored as Minwoo rummaged around for his sports bottle. Niel seemed to pick up what was needed and crossed the small space, grabbing the white bottle and handing it to Minwoo who pretended not to see it. Niel set it on the counter and Minwoo promptly snatched it up, stashing it in his bag along with a few packets of powdered Pocari Sweat before leaving the kitchen again.

 

Like a lamb Niel followed, standing beneath the kitchen arch and watching as Minwoo put his shoes back on and without a word goodbye the older idol was out the door. Niel watched the door slam as his vision began to swim. He clutched onto the edge of the wall hard, his nails scratching against the wood before leaning his head against his arm and taking what he hoped was a stabilizing breath. He exhaled, shoulder shaking, and then breathed again, deeply, swallowing the feelings of guilt before they could consume him.

 

Before he even realized it, Niel found himself sitting on the floor, his weak knees having given in supporting him. He felt tired and useless. Why did he think he could make any decision for himself? Minwoo had only his best interest at heart. Why was he always making it so hard for him? He didn't deserve him.

 

Niel hugged his body, rocking forward in order to suppress the tears. It didn't work.

 

He wouldn't be going to work that day.

 

-to be continued-

AN: I try not to use superfluous korean in my stories as it's distracting but i really feel like Niel should call Minwoo "Jagi" haha.  yeahhhhhhh so Minwoo. How 'bout that MINWOO!? Thanks for reading! PLEASE REVIEW!