Six

For You My Flower Blooms

Six

 

Tuesday morning and not even an hour into work L.Joe found himself drifting. Sure he was productive most of the time but stick an employee in front of a computer with internet access and there was bound to be come time spent loitering. L.Joe had always been self-conscious, spending a disproportionate amount of time searching about himself on the internet. He knew basically everything a fan would know about him as well as his standing with the general public.

 

That was exactly why he knew that the general netizen was currently unimpressed with him and also that Niel had as of that morning become a fixed cast member of the show “Neighborhood Watch”.

 

It came as a surprise to L.Joe seeing the article about his fellow TEENTOP member joining the cast of that show as a permanent member, especially since he didn’t detect any desire in the other to end his unofficial hiatus so soon. He clicked the article and began to read.

 

“After two months away from the neighborhood, TEENTOP’s Niel once again stops by this time as a regular member of the watch,” the article explained.

 

L.Joe paused in his reading to take out his phone and send a quick message.

 

“Congrats on getting a permanent spot on that show.”

 

He set his phone down and focused again on the article displayed on the computer screen.

 

“Niel has always brought an interesting and fun feel to the show with his charismatic and genuine attitude.

 

‘He’s not afraid to make himself look bad in front of the camera,’ said the PD ‘And his frustrated face is hilarious’”

 

L.Joe stopped reading again when his phone began to vibrate.

 

“Thanks,” was Niel’s curt reply.

 

“Are you at the company right now?”

 

“Unfortunately,” came the near instant answer.

 

L.Joe replied with a teasing emoticon with the tongue out.

 

“I’m surprised you already know about the show thing,” Niel continued.

 

“It’s on naver,” L.Joe replied.

 

“That’s fast. I only met with them about it last night because Andy hyung ing made me!”

 

“Made you?”

 

“Yes, I’m in trouble now and they’re forcing me to work.”

 

L.Joe had to let out a light chuckle at that. It explained why Niel suddenly was taking a job. But L.Joe was glad to hear it. He didn’t understand why Niel had suddenly gotten so lazy. Unless he was just trying to rest before the inevitable busy time of their comeback, that is.

 

L.Joe stared at his screen trying to think of what to reply with when another message came though.

 

“What are you doing for lunch? Want to meet?”

 

“Sure,” L.Joe replied.

 

It wasn’t strange for Niel to want to meet for lunch. They did it ever so often a Niel’s schedule permitted. However whenever it was Niel who was first to ask it usually meant he had something he wanted to talk about. L.Joe had a feeling he knew about what.

 

--

 

They met at Grill 5 Taco. It was L.Joe’s idea. He was craving a taco and they slipped quietly into a back booth to eat.

 

The middle a weekday was a great time to go out to eat. Young fans were at school and most others were busy at work. It was easy to go unspotted during that time. Commutes back and forth between home and work on the other hand were a pain.

 

“I haven’t actually watched that show since you stopped going on it,” L.Joe began after getting seated.

 

“Is it that uninteresting?” Niel asked. “But thanks for the loyalty.”

 

“It’s not that it’s bad. It is one of the most popular shows on TV right now for a reason. Anyway, you’ll have good exposure from this for sure.”

 

“Yeah,” nodded Niel. “If nothing else it’ definitely a household name.”

 

“Don’t ruin it.”

 

“Don’t worry. I will,” Niel rejoined good-naturedly.

 

“So what was the offer that Andy couldn’t refuse?” L.Joe asked, curious.

 

He figured for the deal to be settled so quickly KBS must have been asking their company to have Niel join for a while.


“It’s actually awesome. My salary per episode is pretty crazy and I get a bonus after completing 20 episodes. That’s like the next 4 month of programming as long I don’t get into any scandal.”

 

L.Joe was impressed.

 

“Variety is where the money’s at,” L.Joe noted.

 

“It really is. If you get popular then the endorsements come in as well and unlike dramas the scripts are more like an outline so no needed memorization and less work.”

 

“I should have pursued variety more,” L.Joe lamented. “Writing isn’t so bad and I do make royalties. But my recognition is becoming .”

 

“I think for a guy who does nothing but pretend to be cool on stage you’re doing pretty well for yourself as far as recognition goes,” pointed out Niel.

 

“Hey!” objected L.Joe.

 

Niel only continued, “There are guys who work hard on the variety circuit who wish they were as well-known as you. As for the stupid show, I still haven’t told Minwoo about it and he hasn’t sent any message so I don’t think he knows yet.”

 

“Why do you sound so glum about it?” L.Joe asked.

 

“I just know he’s gonna react badly when he finds out,” Niel replied.

 

L.Joe was confused, “But shouldn’t he be happy for you?”

 

“He should, yeah, and he’ll act happy for me but I know it’s just going to make me feel bad. I don’t know. He doesn’t really outright say it but he doesn’t like me working so much, or at least more than him.”

 

“That doesn’t make sense though,” pointed out L.Joe. “We’re idols.”

 

Niel shrugged, “Maybe but if you think about it he’s worked so hard for so long and I’m still more popular than him. I just feel guilty about getting so much work and all.”

 

“What the heck? Is that why you haven’t been working? Because you didn’t want Minwoo to feel bad?”

 

L.Joe was floored. All idols worked hard. All idols wanted to be popular and get a lot of work. It was a competitive industry by nature and Niel knew that as much as all of them. Minwoo knew it as well. Even if someone were jealous it would only add to the level of determination but wishing another less success was just bad sportsmanship.

 

“I know it sounds stupid but I just feel so guilty! Anyway, he told me how happy it makes him feel to come home after his long schedules and see me there. That makes me happy too.”

 

“Sorry to say but that’s not really worth stopping work over.”

 

“But hyung,” protested Niel. “If you were dating someone wouldn’t you be happy to see them after work every day?”

 

As a romantic L.Joe had to honestly consider the question. The thought was very domestic and often presented as the ideal scenario after getting a wife. Still, her career would be important too not just his. L.Joe wouldn’t hold that against her.”

 

“But we’re idols. You know that. Minwoo also know that. It’s our job and we work to the bone. Relationships aren’t the norm in our profession by default,” L.Joe said.

 

“Yeah but I didn’t think it’d be a big deal to take a break for a little while. I enlist either next year or the year after that depending on how our comeback foes. Does it really hurt to take on less work?”

 

“What? Less work is the difference between being a top star and being nobody. Less work is the difference between landing a big CM deal or not. Don’t take it for granted now after all of the work you, not even just as TEENTOP, but you as just Niel put into building up your career. Minwoo is also doing well for himself as it is. Isn’t he on some schedule today?”

 

Because L.Joe knew that if Minwoo were otherwise free Niel wouldn’t even be eating lunch with him.

 

“Yeah. He’s filming a CM,” Niel said.

 

“See. He does things and you have the right to do things too.”

 

“That doesn’t stop me from feeling guilty,” muttered Niel.


“It’s all in your head,” L.Joe replied, ignoring the slightly startled look Niel began to take on. “Minwoo’s a really good hyung. He wouldn’t want your career to suffer for his sake.”

 

Niel didn’t answer and instead began to take renewed interest in his food.

 

“Besides,” continued L.Joe. “We all know Minwoo. We’ve known him since before we even debut. We were like kids. He’s like the nicest hyung ever. You of all people should know that.”

 

“Do you really think all of that about Minwoo?” Niel aked.

 

L.Joe nodded, “Sure. Why would I lie?”

 

Even though he and Minwoo were never so close he did acknowledge the good points of him. He was a very familiar person to him by that point.

 

“Then why is it so wrong then for me to think of cutting back some of my career for such a great guy? I am just trying to be supportive. I’m not trying to be lazy and goof off. I also didn’t go to Mokpo last weekend just to hang out.”

 

“I know that and I think the others know that too,” explained L.Joe. “But I also saw the articles about it all the comments about how weird it is you go to support a label mate’s drama all the way in Mokpo over supporting your own member.”

 

Niel rolled his eyes, “The media is stupid.”

 

“Some fans were disappointed too.”

 

“I don’t know why…,” but Niel self-corrected. “Actually, OK. I know. I know why. And yes, I admit I ed up on that. I did. I let my boyfriend get in the way of my TEEN TOP activities…. In that instance. I’ll only admit to that one. As for the rest, I am under no obligation to accept every offer that comes my way whether it’s a show or whatever. So yeah what’s done is done and now I’m on that KBS show but I bet you don’t know what else the company wants me to do.”

 

“What?”

 

“A unit with C.A.P.”

 

“No way.”

 

“Yep.”

 

A silence fell over the two as they continued to eat. It was not a bad idea to have a N.A.P unit. The two had done plenty of stages together during concerts even after their break up. But this time Niel had a boyfriend. Being upset about Niel working more than him was something that made little sense to L.Joe. However, being the jealous lover that he is, L.Joe definitely thought that he’d feel a bit threatened were he in Minwoo’s shoes.

 

“OK,” L.Joe said, wiping his hands on a napkin. “So what’s Minwoo’s reaction that that?”

 

“I haven’t told him yet.”

 

“He’s not usually the jealous type though, right?”

 

“Not at all,” replied Niel. “I’ve never seen him get jealous over anyone to be honest.”

 

L.Joe could tell there was a lie in there somewhere, or if not a lie, some withheld information.

 

“OK, I believe that,” L.Joe said. “But I mean… it’s C.A.P.”

 

“I fail to see why he earns a distinction.”

 

“Right,” L.Joe replied unconvinced.

 

“Really, hyung,” Niel said. “But it’s not what I even wanted to talk about and we’ve gotten off the topic.”

 

“Ok then what is it?”

 

“It’s about my relationship with Minwoo in general. Like I said he freaking just… I’m not being completely honest when I say I wanted to take a break just so I can make him happy. I mean yes, I do want to make him happy. I do but I just… I feel like he thinks he knows what makes me happy and I don’t have the heart to tell him otherwise or something?”

 

“What do you mean?” L.Joe’s brows furrowed in confusion.

 

“Well, it started way before I even went on that hiatus but he’d always make little side comments about all of my schedules, saying that I look tired or sick and asking what am I spending all that money as if he’s trying to insinuate I don’t need it.”

 

“I don’t think Minwoo hyung meant it like that,” defended L.Joe. “He probably was just concerned. I don’t even know where you spend your money either to be honest.”

 

“The money goes to my bank and my mother and I invest a little and they still give me the allowance from it. Not much has changed since I was younger. I make a lot more now though so of course I spend more though lately I haven’t even been spending anything at all. He told me not to worry about it and actually Minwoo pays for everything.”

 

“That’s pretty sweet,” replied L.Joe. “You still have all of your money and get to save even the allowance now.”


“That’s what I thought too at first. But really it’s no different than when I was having my mom control my money. Only this time I get an allowance from my boyfriend.”

 

“I want an allowance!” joked L.Joe.

 

Niel was not amused, “Can’t you be serious? I’m trying to speak honestly to you about a problem I’m having.”

 

“I am trying but you haven’t really complained about anything that bad. He seems to just be really concerned about you. You did used to work a lot. Probably since you had two months of rest he’ll feel better about you being active again. You look way better than you did back then to be honest. Your eye bags are completely gone, for one. And the money thing is no problem either. You two both make enough it doesn’t matter who pays for what so just enjoy it,” L.Joe advised. “Obviously it isn’t an issue to him to pay for you.”

 

Niel sighed, “You really think so?”

 

“Yeah, like I said Minwoo is a great guy. He’s never been nothing but brotherly to us after all.”

 

Niel looked a bit hesitant but then nodded, “Thanks, hyung. I don’t know what came over me. After getting scolded by Andy and getting the part I kind of panicked. I wasn’t sure what he’d think but yeah you’re right. It’s nothing… Minwoo won’t mind and he only has my best interest at heart.”

 

“Is that really all you wanted to talk about?” L.Joe asked.

 

When Niel nodded L.Joe felt relieved. It was nice that the problems Niel was having in his relationship were so small compared to the ones he had to deal with back in the day. But he wondered why suddenly now Niel felt the need to voice his concern. L.Joe hoped it wasn’t some strange plan of Niel to find a reason to break up with his current boyfriend now that his first love interest had returned. Because, if it were the case L.Joe truly believed it would be a mistake for Niel or think that going back to C.A.P would be better than whatever he had going on now.

 

----

 

After leaving the restaurant Niel began the trek back to the studio. He drove that day, which was why he was able to meet L.Joe quite a distance out. As he maneuvered through traffic he felt a lightness spread through his heart that had once been heavy.

 

It wasn’t the first time that he had felt such heaviness in regards to Minwoo. There was just a sharp guilt that overcame him whenever he did anything without Minwoo’s knowledge, as if he was afraid to disappoint him somehow. It was the same after getting the part on the show and he just had to talk.

 

Talking to L.Joe was supposed to provide clarity. It didn’t make Niel feel any less guilty but at least he felt better. He needed to be reminded that everything Minwoo did for him was only because Minwoo cared about him. He was a nice guy.

 

Niel was lucky to have him.

 

-to be continued-

 

AN: *puts first image found of nieljoe as the chapter image* so yeah! more light shed on Minwoo and Niel. So yeah look at that. Is L.Joe right or is he dead wrong? kekeke what do you think!? comments are loved! votes and subs are too. cya