Chapter 3 : My 'Best Friends'

Choose.

Mi Young was looking down at the floor as she walked to new route towards her ‘home’. Suddenly 4 pairs of feet blocked her view of the ground. She followed the feet up to the identity, only to see her former best friends glaring down at her. They popped their gum obnoxiously and looked at Mi Young up and down.

“What do you think you’re doing here?” Hyun Joo snarled as she leaned in and continued popping her gum. Mi Young remained silent as fear grew inside her; the girls scoffed and continued to give Mi Young the elevator eyes. “Heh, she’s mute too?” *You know I’m not Hyun Joo.* “This girl is so disrespectful, how about we teach her a lesson?” Hyun Joo spat her gum out on the floor, walking closer to Mi Young. They were now face to face, Mi Young gulped in fear and looked up to meet Hyun Joo’s eyes.

“You’re really not going to say anything?” Hyun Joo spat as she leaned in dangerously close to Mi Young. Mi Young couldn’t find the right words to say and found herself staring back a t Hyun Joo. “AISH! THIS GIRL!” Hyun Joo screamed as she sent a slap to Mi Young’s face. The girls all advanced towards Mi Young, their sharp shoes piercing her like arrows.

Mi Young screamed an ear-piercing scream as the kicks continued. “Please, I beg you, stop.” Mi Young whimpered as she looked up at the fierce girls. Suddenly a strong voice snarled from behind,

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” The girls immediately stopped, as they all turned around and squealed in excitement. *Who…*

“SUNGGYU OPPA!” Ji Min’s recognisable voice squealed. Mi Young could hear Sunggyu scoff as he walked away from the girls. The girls followed him like a flock of birds following a piece of food. The footsteps became faint as they progressed further away. Soon, Mi Young fell out of consciousness.

~~~

Mi Young awoke in a hospital bed, with bandages covering parts of her body. She sat up abruptly, only to fall back down onto the bed due to the pain. She looked around, realising she was in a hospital. A nurse came in, startled by Mi Young’s blinking face.

“Oh Miss, you’re awake. How are you feeling?” She asked kindly as she paced forwards towards Mi Young’s bed. Mi Young, being the unsocial person she was, couldn’t find any words to say, but instead she just nodded, signifying that she was fine. The nurse nodded before getting some medicine for Mi Young.

“Here Miss, drink this, it’ll make the pain go away.” The nurse assured Mi Young as she pushed the cup of medicine into Mi Young’s hands. Mi Young nodded in acceptance as she drunk the medicine. Her face contorted as the cold liquid slid down . The nurse chuckled at Mi Young’s amusing expression before taking the cup out of Mi Young’s hands and telling her to rest. Mi Young listened obediently and lay back down onto the bed, falling back into a deep slumber.

~~~

“YAH KANG MI YOUNG WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?” Mi Young’s aunty screeched as soon as Mi Young walked through the door. Mi Young remained silent, closing her eyes waiting for the inevitable pain to come. Her predictions were correct as her aunty began her abusing. Her aunty sent a strong punch into Mi Young’s stomach. As Mi Young doubled over in pain, her aunty continued to kick Mi Young.

Mi Young knew that her cries for mercy would not take an effect on her aunty, so she decided to stay silent, enduring the pain.