One

I'll Be There

Senior year, the greatest year of high school, not only is it the last year of mandatory school, but it also signals the beginning of one’s life as an adult and independent person. Those reasons were why Youngjae was so happy to start this last chapter in his life before he too had to take up and fly, all the way across the ocean to a foreign land, but he really didn't want to think about that right now, not today at least. 

The crowds of students formed faster the first day of school. Each new year signaled the beginning of something new and different; a new friend, a new teacher, and for some, a new school. Youngjae spotted his best friend Jinyoung making his way over to him. They hadn't seen each other over the break because Jinyoung was dragged across the country to visit his estranged family. 

"Youngjae!" Jinyoung shouted when he finally spotted his friend. He swirled through the crowds of student until he finally reached his target. "Youngjae!" he reached for the male to pull him into a hug, "I've missed you so much." 

"I missed you too," Youngjae stated hugging his friend in return. After a few seconds he pulled away to look at his friend. "So, how was your break?" Youngjae already knew what the answer would be but he loved making Jinyoung get annoyed and flustered. 

"Argh, it was awful man. Did you know I have a cousin who is an idol?" Jinyoung said. Youngjae looked at him questioningly. 

"No, why, do you?" 

"Yes! Apparently he is a trainee here in the city and is set to debut very soon." Jinyoung looked too happy to be related to an idol who hadn't actually debuted yet, but still it made him feel sort of, special. 

"Jinyoung," Youngjae said, ready to burst his bubble, but he was luckily interrupted. 

"Jinyoung, Youngjae!" came the voice, slowly but surely making his way through the crowd. The duo was happy to see the guy that completed their trio; the three Stooges back together at last. 

"Mark!" they shouted in unison, running over to meet him half way. Reunited at last and it felt so good. Lame! 

"Hey guys," Mark said eyeing Youngjae and Jinyoung for a moment, inspecting their appearance because first impressions mattered and all that. Not that it really mattered at the moment being as they already knew each other but that didn't count regarding other people. "So, how was your break?"

"You know, same old same old, studying and working," Youngjae said. Mark nodded in understanding.

"How about you Jin?"

"Don't get him started," Youngjae exclaimed. Mark smiled. 

"Why, what happened?" 

"Argh, I had to spend my time in the country. No access to the net man. It was torture," Jinyoung whined. Mark only laughed because it was so like Jinyoung to make a big deal out of nothing much. "Oh and I have a famous cousin."

"What!" Mark shouted in disbelief.

"Please don't get him started. Mark, how about you tell us about your break, how was America?" Youngjae cut their conversation because Jinyoung didn't actually have a famous cousin and he sure didn't need an inflated ego. 

"That's right, where is my present?" Jinyoung asked, "you promised to bring us something when you got back." 

"I did," Mark said nervously. Youngjae and Jinyoung looked at him suspiciously. 

" herpes!" The trio turned to face the guy who had intruded on their conversation only to say something so immature and stupid. 

"JB." They announced in unison. It was just like him to say things like that; he was the class clown for a reason. 

"Hey guys," JB said walking over to the others. "I just wanted to say welcome to a new year and don't catch the herpes," he said laughing at his own joke while continuing to walk away from the scene. 

"I swear I don't have herpes," Mark tried to clarify. Youngjae and Jinyoung laughed because it would probably be funnier if Mark actually did have herpes. "Don't laugh!" The laugher was cut short by the ringing of the bell, signaling the beginning of the school year. The crowds of students quickly started dispersing, moving about to get to their destinations.

"Well we don't want to be late to class on the first day of school, do we?" Youngjae asked starting to lead his friends to their assigned classroom. Jinyoung and Mark followed behind their nerdy friend with pleasure. 



The first day is always the same, get to class and introduce yourself. Of course while many other classrooms could rejoice in the fact that many of the students didn't already know one another and the teacher, hence they could take up two whole days just greeting each other and getting acquainted, Youngjae, Mark, and Jinyoung were not as lucky. They were stuck with the same idiots year after year, with the exception of a few new faces.

"Settle down class," the teacher ordered for everyone to take a seat and be quiet. "As you all see, we have a few new faces joining us so introductions will be held today and only today. If you wish to get acquainted with one another and we don't get to it by today, please do so in your own time."

"I see Mrs. Kim is still a ," Mark whispered from behind Youngjae and Jinyoung, they giggled. This was always their sitting arrangement. Youngjae and Jinyoung got the front and Mark got the back, that way the two could block his view from the teacher whenever he decided to take a short nap. A faculty member entered the classroom and handed Mrs. Kim a note and quickly left afterwards.

"Is it contagious, did Mark spread his herpes already?" JB announced to the class from the back, the class erupted in laughter and Mark seemed to shrink down in his seat.

"Jaebum, I will not tolerate your immaturity this year, got it!" said Mrs. Kim, "Now if all of you are done, I would like you to welcome a new face to the class, come on in." The teacher signaled for the student to step into the class. The student was handsome looking and fit, he also gave off a vibe that said 'foreign' and 'dangerous' because of his appearance. He was about to bow and introduce himself when the teacher stopped him. "Why don't you go on and take a seat for now, we will actually begin formal introductions in a bit." The male gave a small bow and went in the direction the teacher pointed.

Youngjae paled at the site of the new student, how was it possible that he was here, now. Even after so many years, Youngjae still recognized that face, the guy that had abandoned him so many years back and caused him the worst suffering he had ever experience. Jinyoung noticed Youngjae's pale complexion and turned to him, a worried look plastered on his face.

"Youngjae," Jinyoung began slowly shaking him to make him come out of what looked like a daze. Youngjae only kept his gaze firmly locked on the new student as he walked down the aisle in their direction, past Youngjae. "Do you know him?" Jinyoung whispered because the guy was sitting right behind them with Mark, Youngjae shook his head and turned to the front to pay attention to the teacher. 

"Alright then, one by one I will call you guys up front and you will introduce yourselves to your fellow classmates. I will start things off. I am Mrs. Kim and I will be your teacher for your last year of your high school before you go off to college. I want you all to know that I am here if you need anything so you can come to me if you have any questions or concerns. Now we will start up front and work our way back, come on up," Mrs. Kim signaled for the closest student up front to start things off.

Youngjae felt so nervous for his turn to come up because he was so positive that the new student was who he thought it was and once he was up there introducing himself, the guy would recognize him, if he still even remembered him. "Next!" Mrs. Kim announced after several students had gone up. 

"Here goes nothing," Jinyoung stated to Youngjae getting up from his seat and walking to the head board. Jinyoung bowed to the class and addressed them all. "Hello I am Jinyoung, it's nice to see you all again and nice to meet all the new faces." Jinyoung looked over in the direction of the new student that had come in after class began, but he also didn't fail to notice how fidgety Youngjae seemed. "I hope we all get along well this year," Jinyoung finished and bowed again before he went back to his seat.

"Thank you Jinyoung, next."

Youngjae gulped and slowly got out of his seat and marched up to the front. He turned to face his classmates, all eyes on him; he bowed to the class and closing his eyes he took a deep breath. As he rose, his eyes couldn't help but travel in the direction of the guy that had him on edge, their eyes locking for a moment before Youngjae looked away and addressed the rest of the class. "Hello my name is Jack—" Youngjae managed to catch himself before the name slipped his lips but that didn't stop the sudden curiosity that made the new student perch up in his seat. "Youngjae," said male stated with a chuckle. "It's nice to meet you all," he said a little anxious.

"Youngjae are you feeling alright?" Mrs. Kim asked a little worried at how Youngjae was acting, "you don't seem like the Youngjae we all know."

"Oh, I'm just really excited today, first day jitters and all, you know."

"Right? Okay then, who is next?"

Youngjae walked back to his seat, head bowed low as to not meet the gaze of others. Mark was up next and Youngjae knew that the presence of a foreigner would take the spotlight from his little awkward introduction. 

"What's up, I'm Mark, originally from America and it's nice to see you all again. I wasn't sure if I would be coming back this year but I guess I got lucky," Mark said with a smirk on his face. He was confident when he was left alone to do his thing, but when someone put the spotlight on him, he shriveled up and got shy. Some of the girls sighed and giggled amongst themselves admiring the foreigner in front of them; Jinyoung sneered. "Well if anyone ever needs help with English, I'm here," Mark finished glancing over at his friends table. Jinyoung didn't look too impressed and if Mark had to guess, he kind of looked pissed. Mark went back to his seat.

"Thank you for that Mark, I'm sure the girls will be pleased to get help from you," Mrs. Kim stated a tone too sarcastic. "Why don't we have the new student come up and introduce himself." The whole class turned to look at said student, making him feel a bit pressured into having to do this now. He stood up and walked to the board. 

"Hello, my name is Jackson," he said bowing to the class and taking in the whole of them, all eyes were on him except those of the student that took the seat right in front of him, Youngjae he had learnt was his name. "I too can help in the English department," he continued on ignoring the person that was so rudely ignoring him. "I'm originally from Hong Kong, but I've lived here before."

Youngjae perked up at the new information. There was no way he was the same person Youngjae knew or better used to know. Then again the striking resemblance was uncanny, even their names and shared nationality, it was too much for the first day of school. "I think I'm going to be sick," he whispered and let his head fall hard on his desk causing a loud sound on impact. This caused some student to turn towards the direction of the sound. Jinyoung too turned to his desk buddy to check that he was okay.

"You okay," Jinyoung said trying to raise Youngjae's head back up, the whole class was staring. Youngjae lifted his head when the teacher called his name in equal concern. Again, his eyes locked with Jackson's and this time he kept them focused, looking over the boy, inspecting everything about him, until said boy spoke.

"Choi Youngjae?" Youngjae's eyes widened because how else would Jackson know his last name when he hadn't said it to him, unless it was his Jackson, the one he knew and loved so many years back, but who eventually left him without a goodbye. Some of the other students also gasped in shock, because they too wanted to know how it was that this new kid knew Youngjae. The bell rang that moment, saving Youngjae from any further embarrassment, he was out of there in a second, and not bothering to stop even after Jinyoung and Mark called for him to wait up. 


A/N: okay this is what i have and this is like a sort of preview because i do have more but i just need some feed back before i decide on what to do with this.. so please comment and all that...